The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 minutes ago, Pele said:

The fact that you've been alluding to these 30 'confirmed' songs by Bumblefoot, and you just mention they are 80% done!

I have never talked about the songs Bumble worked on in 2007 before. And when I did, I immediately mentioned Bumble saying they were 80-85% complete.

Are you drunk? You seem even more confused than usual. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I have never talked about the songs Bumble worked on in 2007 before. And when I did, I immediately mentioned Bumble saying they were 80-85% complete.

Are you drunk? You seem even more confused than usual. 

You brought them up.

As some sort of 'proof' that Rose had new songs.

And then dropped in that they weren't completed (what a surprise)

Edited by Pele

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Heh, no. You are particularly obtuse today. 

You did though.

You said Thal's comments mean there are "30 additional songs (not from Chinese Democracy) that we must assume was more or less finished by 2007"

Only an absolute lunatic would believe there is anything close to that with vocals. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pele said:

If he had a batch of good material, Silkworms would have been in the bin where it belongs.

He has little to nothing, so he needed it.

HardSkool - someone made a good point earlier.  It has x2 verses and the chorus repeated 5 times, with an into that seemed to come from something completely different (now removed).  It sounded like a demo, an idea, almost complete with the intention to finish up.  And it's about the same level as IRS.

They have labored over utter, utter garbage like Silkworms, OMG, Catcher, Atlas, Riad, Scraped, If The World and pure mediocrity like IRS, Shacklers, CD, HardSkool etc for so long.  Do you honestly think there is anything of interest being held back?

I know The General may sound interesting, but the odds are strongly suggesting it will be average filler.

You've used this as the basis that Axl has more songs though.

Loads of music exists.  They all submitted instrumentals.

dude thats you r opinion, " OMG, Catcher, Atlas, Riad, Scraped, If The World and pure mediocrity like IRS, Shacklers, CD, HardSkool" those songs are pretty good to me and i heard them trough my teen ages, so don t be so radical saying bullshit like that

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Some arguments:

- Are you using lack of perceived rhyme and reason as an argument? This is Axl we are talking about, you are aware of that?

That’s a very solid point. Axl logic isn’t exactly sound.

- Could it be that your own feelings of these songs make it harder for you to understand why they were released? Maybe Axl thinks these are perfect GN'R songs to release in 2021?

I don’t think my feelings have anything to do with it - I actually quite like both songs released. Again, I don’t have a *problem* with them reworking Axl’s old tunes. I’d be curious to hear new stuff written with Slash and Duff but, if Axl is more interested in finishing these tunes, that’d be cool with me, in principle. It’s all technically “new” to me.

My personal feelings, however, are very much a factor for me not being excited about the possibility that the Village Leaks could be it. Even from an instrumental perspective, I find everything that’s still unreleased to be pretty dull. So, in this case, I really hope there are other vocals to the seemingly hundreds of unheard instrumentals in the vault and that I’m totally wrong.

Axl's artistic choices are impossible to understand for me. Why did he cut away verses on Absurd? I have no idea. Why did he sing like Dracula on Sorry? Why do he plaster movie samples over so many songs? I don't know. Why did he want more reggae? Beat me. Why did he this and that and this and that? No idea. But his artistic choices aren't really an argument for why more music don't exist.

Now you’re just trying to pick a fight. You know goddamn well why he wanted more reggae. To do that sweet dance, of course!

The reason why Absurd and Hard Skool were chosen could be that they were among the first written in the CD era and he wants to release music chronologically. 

This is all possible, of course, but the obvious example to the contrary would be Shackler’s Revenge, which was influenced by the Virginia Tech shooting, making it one of the more recent songs written, yet one of the first released, no?

Yes, he didn't re-record new vocals. Maybe he thought he had already created perfect vocals for the songs? Maybe people around him argued that he shouldn't record new vocal takes (for obvious reasons)? Maybe he is too lazy? Regardless, this has no bearing on whether other songs exist.

Again - this is entirely possible. Look, I’d *hope* that in 30 years, Axl has managed to stash more than 30 usable vocals in the vault somewhere.

I’m not saying it’s impossible - again, I’m not as militant about this as Pele. I’m simply going by my gut and a “where there’s smoke there’s fire” mentality: the first two songs released feature vocals from 20+ years ago, both of which happen to have existed along with only a handful of other songs with vocals among other instrumentals. It just strikes me as concerning, especially considering we’ve heard over and over again from band mates and producers that Axl seems to do a lot of listening in the studio, but not a lot of singing. It seems like these songs were chosen because that’s the best of what was available to choose from, or were the only possibilities with vocals. Neither of which is very encouraging.

If the band next year releases some previously unheard CD-era tune with Axl vocals recorded in 2017 or something, I’d be happy to come here and say “I was wrong.” I just don’t see it happening.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Pele said:

You did though.

You said Thal's comments mean there are "30 additional songs (not from Chinese Democracy) that we must assume was more or less finished by 2007"

Only an absolute lunatic would believe there is anything close to that with vocals. 

More or less = 80-85% finished. 

As for whether the songs contained vocals: I would be very surprised if all of them did. Those that were more than 85% finished probably did (and we know Bumblefoot added guitars to at least some songs with vocals). Those that were less than 85% finished, probably didn't. This also fits with us knowing that some of these songs did indeed contain vocals. It's hard to say what Bumblefoot exactly meant, maybe 85% finished meant they just needed his guitars and Frank's drums? Or maybe he meant they also needed additional vocals or other things like orchestration? We don't know.

Still, my post was to highlight what existed at the time Bumble got involved not to provide evidence for there being songs with vocals today, as you erroneously assumed, and if we trust him - and I don't see why we shouldn't - they were working on about 40 songs at the time. That's great to know. Many of these probably are found among the Village leaks, some we know weren't and came about after 1999/2000.

After Bumblefoot recorded his guitar tracks (or in parallel) we know that Axl went into the studio to record vocals. One such session happened in January 2007 at the Palms Studio in Las Vegas. Engineer Mark Gray talked about witnessing Axl work:

[Axl] had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up' [LA Times New Blog, November 25, 2008].

This is Guns N' Roses. I had the butterflies in the stomach the night before each night. It was absolutely special. When you hear his voice, it was a highlight of my career. He just went in and sang. He was living with the record a long time by then, and he really knew what he wanted to do. He proved a good guy to be around. We would start about 5 or 6 in the evening, hitting tape by 7. We worked five or six hours. These were great sessions. It was a great moment in the studio for me, and it was technically flawless [LA Times New Blog, November 25, 2008].

We don't know what songs Axl recorded vocals for in this session and possible others taking place in 2007-2008. It is fair to say he might have added vocals to songs like Scraped, Better, etc, and we know they worked on Sorry and likely also The General.

EDIT: And oh yeah, Axl later said they had the follow-up to CD ready, which implies he had focused on these songs in the sessions described above. It explains why Bach heard The General while working on Sorry in late 2006/early 2007. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

This is Guns N' Roses. I had the butterflies in the stomach the night before each night. It was absolutely special. When you hear his voice, it was a highlight of my career. He just went in and sang. He was living with the record a long time by then, and he really knew what he wanted to do. He proved a good guy to be around. We would start about 5 or 6 in the evening, hitting tape by 7. We worked five or six hours. These were great sessions. It was a great moment in the studio for me, and it was technically flawless [LA Times New Blog, November 25, 2008].

That's what it's all about for me. Dave Dominguez said something similar when Axl was doing his Live Era/re-recorded Appetite vox about coming out in goosebumps when hearing that high piercing voice do the intro to Jungle. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m genuinely curious how many pages this thread would lose if we removed all of Pele’s copy and pasted responses.

I know, right? I'm surprised he's still posting. I've seen people being banned for less.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I know, right? I'm surprised he's still posting. I've seen people being banned for less.

Why would he(?) banned, he's not breaking any rules. Plus, he's generating more ad revenue for the site, which is always welcomed.

13 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Why would he(?) banned, he's not breaking any rules. Plus, he's generating more ad revenue for the site, which is always welcomed.

Well, I guess it can be considered trolling if someone is constantly (and that's an understatement) repeating themselves.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3

What *else* is there to say about a new album? Especially considering the most recent news we have regarding it is Slash’s revelation that there has been no new writing, just a reworking of CD-era tunes.

It’s on topic. What else should we talk about? “Man, Soul Monster is a cool title. I wonder what it’s about? Hope to hear it someday!”

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

What *else* is there to say about a new album? Especially considering the most recent news we have regarding it is Slash’s revelation that there has been no new writing, just a reworking of CD-era tunes.

It’s on topic. What else should we talk about? “Man, Soul Monster is a cool title. I wonder what it’s about? Hope to hear it someday!”

Quality over quantity 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Well mods have asked him to stop derailing threads saying the same thing over and over, so I guess they don't want that particular ad revenue. Not saying a ban is in order, but Pele definitely needs a holiday.... never heard anyone so worked up about something that has no impact on their life, especially something that may or may not be true. It's kinda crazy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

Seems to me like this place would be a husk of a corpse without all of the Pele talk, since all of his posts attract the same folks who feel compelled to compulsively defend the band (alongside all of the others at the margins crying about Pele re-posting), while, at the same time, those same individuals whining and calling foul ad-nauseam over Pele are ironically the same folks responding to him over and over.

Who's really at fault, then?

Here...Let's try a group experiment, if only to mix things up a bit, shall we? Pele, do me a favor....Stop posting in this thread for a week.  I want to see how thrilling this place is otherwise.

My guess?  The ones who rattle off the Magna Carta each time you post really don't want you to stop, even if they aren't consciously aware of it, because, let's face it: Everyone asking for you to quit wouldn't have a shred of anything else to talk about around here if you did.

Aside from Slash's new record, Pele's posts and the responses to them are the most active thing going on.

This place existed long before Pele and it will exist long after Pele stops posting.

• Like 2