The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

19 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Why is it silly to compare musicians? Only point in comparing things, is because there are differences. Comparing musicians to other musicians or bands to other bands is the most logical you can do.

Because it's rather pointless. Everyone is different. Some are prolific, others aren't. Some bands stay together for 30 years, others break up after 5 years. Some musicians hate touring, others live for it. Some are rather in the studio than anywhere else, others hate being in a studio for longer than two weeks. Some musicians are incredibly critical of their own music, others have no filter and release about anything they create. It is what it is. Why do we have to compare?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Because it's rather pointless. Everyone is different. Some are prolific, others aren't. Some bands stay together for 30 years, others break up after 5 years. Some musicians hate touring, others live for it. Some are rather in the studio than anywhere else, others hate being in a studio for longer than two weeks. Some musicians are incredibly critical of their own music, others have no filter and release about anything they create. It is what it is. Why do we have to compare?

personally, I feel that it's valid and a must to compare my favorite musicians to other favorite musicians of mine cause it just works.

My hope is that Slash will soon become a perfectionist kinda like Brian Wilson was, but would exclusively release reggae albums like Bob Marley did, cease all touring and just work from the studio and become Paul Huge's best friend. I've had enough of his riff based bluesy hard rock and live antics. He should definitely change his priorities and approach and add tapping to his arsenal so I can personally enjoy it more.

Edited by Rovim
  • Haha 1

There's really no need to compare which artists are more prolific than GN'R because nearly every artist ever in music is more prolific than GN'R. 

Also, the whole "they've been touring for 5 years" argument is laughable and makes absolutely no sense. GN'R had almost 2 years off, just like every other artist due to the pandemic. However, unlike tons of other artists, they chose to do nothing whatsoever with that time creatively. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There's really no need to compare which artists are more prolific than GN'R because nearly every artist ever in music is more prolific than GN'R. 

Also, the whole "they've been touring for 5 years" argument is laughable and makes absolutely no sense. GN'R had almost 2 years off, just like every other artist due to the pandemic. However, unlike tons of other artists, they chose to do nothing whatsoever with that time creatively. 

yes, unlike tons of other artists, Axl for whatever reason, probably has different priorities, peculiar approach, laziness, call it whatever you want. You don't have to like it, so what is the point of you saying the argument of the touring for 5 years is laughable? are you saying it's just an excuse for Axl not giving you what you want (and others) cause his behavior continues to be consistent and he continues to be himself? seems like you still condemn him for not being like other artists but he'll never be like them and you know what? that's alright. He didn't sign a contract that stipulates the terms of being a proper musician.

yes, most musicians are more prolific but honestly, so what? it's not going to change so being bitter about it (not you specifically) is a waste of time.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yes, unlike tons of other artists, Axl for whatever reason, probably has different priorities, peculiar approach, laziness, call it whatever you want. You don't have to like it, so what is the point of you saying the argument of the touring for 5 years is laughable? are you saying it's just an excuse for Axl not giving you what you want (and others) cause his behavior continues to be consistent and he continues to be himself? seems like you still condemn him for not being like other artists but he'll never be like them and you know what? that's alright. He didn't sign a contract that stipulates the terms of being a proper musician.

yes, most musicians are more prolific but honestly, so what? it's not going to change so being bitter about it (not you specifically) is a waste of time.

I didn't say touring for 5 years is laughable. I said using that as an excuse for why they haven't recorded / released new music is laughable. 

It's laughable for 2 reasons: 1) they haven't toured for the last 5 years. They, like everyone else, had a bunch of focred time off. 2) even with that, they still did nothing with it. 

I know you're not directing all of those thoughts directly at me, but just to make something clear: for me personally, if GN'R releases music great. If not, great. But I do have to laugh when people attempt to use every excuse in the book to justify why they don't. 

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

I didn't say touring for 5 years is laughable. I said using that as an excuse for why they haven't recorded / released new music is laughable. 

It's laughable for 2 reasons: 1) they haven't toured for the last 5 years. They, like everyone else, had a bunch of focred time off. 2) even with that, they still did nothing with it. 

I know you're not directing all of those thoughts directly at me, but just to make something clear: for me personally, if GN'R releases music great. If not, great. But I do have to laugh when people attempt to use every excuse in the book to justify why they don't. 

have you considered the possibility that different musicians, like Axl for example, might sometimes have an approach that works for them ie a way to achieve their goals which sometimes can be totally weird to other musicians/fans?

just look at how different Axl's and Slash's priorities seems to be. So maybe not so laughable and not an excuse. I know that some people prefer to focus on 1 thing at a time for example. I'm open to the possibility that Axl might not see the way Gn'R should function like most bands function cause he maybe encounters different challenges compared to other musicians. It's not unheard of. Not everything is an excuse, sometimes you just don't know enough so you have very little chance of pinpointing the actual reasons for what you consider dysfunctional.

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

have you considered the possibility that different musicians, like Axl for example, might sometimes have an approach that works for them ie a way to achieve their goals which sometimes can be totally weird to other musicians/fans?

just look at how different Axl's and Slash's priorities seems to be. So maybe not so laughable and not an excuse. I know that some people prefer to focus on 1 thing at a time for example. I'm open to the possibility that Axl might not see the way Gn'R should function like most bands function cause he maybe encounters different challenges compared to other musicians. It's not unheard of. Not everything is an excuse, sometimes you just don't know enough so you have very little chance of pinpointing the actual reasons for what you consider dysfunctional.

Wait. I think yore misunderstading me or I'm not making myself clear, one or the other lol. 

When I say "they are making excuses", I'm NOT referring to Axl, Slash or anyone in GN'R. I'm referring to users on this forum who use excuses like "they've been touring for the last 5 years" as justification for GN'R not releasing new material. 

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait. I think yore misunderstading me or I'm not making myself clear, one or the other lol. 

When I say "they are making excuses", I'm NOT referring to Axl, Slash or anyone in GN'R. I'm referring to users on this forum who use excuses like "they've been touring for the last 5 years" as justification for GN'R not releasing new material. 

no, I got it but I think that's a real possibility. I think that it's possible that Axl was touring and it could have had nothing to do with the band not working on brand new material because maybe the material he managed to complete or mostly complete is and was the focus for the last decade or more or it was totally the reason cause he was busy with doing something that took a lot of energy from him. My point is that it could be a good reason and that we don't know exactly why they didn't work on new material in the down time. I know that after an active period some people want to take a break but that doesn't mean the interest is not there to do more work.

Edited by Rovim

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

no, I got it but I think that's a real possibility. I think that it's possible that Axl was touring and it could have had nothing to do with the band not working on brand new material because maybe the material he managed to complete or mostly complete is and was the focus for the last decade or more or it was totally the reason cause he was busy with doing something that took a lot of energy from him. My point is that it could be a good reason and that we don't know exactly why they didn't work on new material in the down time. I know that after an active period some people want to take a break but that doesn't mean the interest is not there to do more work.

I think Axl's track record shows whether he's interested or not. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I think Axl's track record shows whether he's interested or not. 

I think he's not easily satisfied or at least wasn't in the past musically and maybe also commercially and that he overthinks shit which leads to no product for years, but the 2019 leaks proved he did have a good enough product (for me) to release in 1999-2000.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Personally speaking I have no issue with people comparing musicians, I think it's perfectly normal, like how people compare football players, holiday destinations, restaurants etc.

My main issue, and what is not really covered when people do compare, is simply the massive chasm of wasted opportunity that exists with GnR. Never has potential v reality been so disappointingly large.

in a Slash interview I've read recently which was conducted by Mick Wall I believe, Mick kinda completed Slash's sentence and said something like if it didn't went to shit it wouldn't be Guns N' Roses. If Axl was a well adjusted man, I don't know if the music would have been the same. Without the issues everything could have been less Gn'R.

I wish we had 10 Gn'R albums, but you gotta take the good with the bad kinda thing. They managed to release the best hard rock and there seems to be an improvement lately when it comes to releasing "new" tunes so at least Gn'R is somewhat functional.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I can compare who ever the fuck I want and it's not silly at all. I don't care what ever reasons Axl has to not release music but saying Eddy Vedder or anybody else is releasing more music than Guns is not only legit but simply a fact. 

Hell, Ozzy is half death and he releases music constantly. 

Nobody can change Axl's activity but I don't have to be pleased about it. What's really silly is to defend everything he does and to have an excuse for everything.

You really don't get it. No one is defending Axl. It's not a competition. We are merely explaining that comparing shit like this is pointless because people are different. What's next, you're going to compare haircuts? Who cares?!

I can understand that you're frustrated that a musician you like isn't prolific. I don't like it either, if I had it my way Axl would have released at least 20 records by now. But for whatever reason, he hasn't. Comparing him to another musician is completely pointless because everyone knows already that the guy isn't prolific, especially not compared to most other musicians. You are just stating the obvious.

50 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I can compare who ever the fuck I want and it's not silly at all. I don't care what ever reasons Axl has to not release music but saying Eddy Vedder or anybody else is releasing more music than Guns is not only legit but simply a fact. 

Nobody can change Axl's activity but I don't have to be pleased about it. What's really silly is to defend everything he does and to have an excuse for everything.

This. 

Also, I'm always happy when Evan has time to stop by to tell us what we can and can't post about. 

Short version: people that want to make excuses for Axl would rather you not make any points they can't argue with. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Literally every other still operational band (and many that aren't) release more material than GNR. 

When you step away from the forums and actually go out and start buying albums by various people you realise what an utterly sorry state of affairs it all is. I have absolutely massive lists of albums I want to buy.....yet my all time favourite band never feature on it. There's a world of exciting music to hear and artists that are always moving forwards. To be content playing the same songs year after year after year just seems so odd to me. 

The whole 'this band operates differently' is at this stage just another excuse for the days months and years to keep ticking by. It's nothing other than a genuinely sad squandering of talent and potential though, whichever way you want to cut it. 

Still......we live in hope I suppose. Two 'new' songs was something but I think most people are probably well over them by now. In the meantime, it's fun to come on here and chat and to buy and listen to some of the other great music constantly being put into the world. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Comparing him to another musician is completely pointless because everyone knows already that the guy isn't prolific, especially not compared to most other musicians. You are just stating the obvious.

It may be stating the obvious but it is a fact. I really don't see the issue you have with comparisons, it's what we do as humans, we compare things and form an opinion. We can choose to share these comparisons we make and our opinions with others. This forum is used for sharing opinions and it'd be fucking boring if we all had the same ones.

giphy.gif

• Like 2