The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, IkaruFunk said:

Couldn't that be Fortus? Same thing for the kill switch intro

Could be, but its the exact same atonal thing that was present in the center channel on the Village leak.

So unless Fortus learned and used Bucketheads nubbing technique while Bucket was still in the band,I think itd be very unlikely

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

If it's Richard on Absurd's intro, why wouldn't he play it live? 

I mean, of course he could play it, it's very simple. 

It's probably a synth? Was it ever confirmed that buckethead did that intro?

It's probably pitman, who had a settlement with Axl and it probably included his parts in Absurd.

Or it could've easily been replicated by Melissa.

Went along with people here that it's a buckethead type of sound but I've always thought it was a synth.

9 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

It's probably a synth? Was it ever confirmed that buckethead did that intro?

It's probably pitman, who had a settlement with Axl and it probably included his parts in Absurd.

Or it could've easily been replicated by Melissa.

Went along with people here that it's a buckethead type of sound but I've always thought it was a synth.

Not confirmed, but it's not a synth. 

IMO, it's just Buckethead and they are treating it like a sample. Even if it was Bucket indeed on the studio recording, Richard could still play it live with ease. Instead, it plays like a sample, not different than the Civil War intro. 

5 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

It sounds like Bucket using a sustainer pickup with the killswitch, hence it having that synth type vibe as opposed to where a note on a guitar would usually fade slightly.

Don't think so. It's just a matter of timing two very strong hammer-on on Eb (or just E in the half-step down tuning). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

If it's Richard on Absurd's intro, why wouldn't he play it live? 

I mean, of course he could play it, it's very simple. 

I mean, why has Axl sampled his hiyaaaahs during Absurd? He could easily sing them live if he wanted, so who knows.

Maybe it's more convenient to go straight to the main riff, or he doesn't have a kill switch on the guitar he wants to use?

1 hour ago, IkaruFunk said:

I mean, why has Axl sampled his hiyaaaahs during Absurd? He could easily sing them live if he wanted, so who knows.

Maybe it's more convenient to go straight to the main riff, or he doesn't have a kill switch on the guitar he wants to use?

Not sure Axl could easily sing those screams live. Those are pretty high pitched. 

The thing is that the main riff is played first by Slash for a couple of bars, Richard joins it later. And sure he could be very specific about the guitar he wants to play it, but it wouldn't be reasonable IMO. I mean, he could literally chose at least a dozen guitars with killswitch for this song. He uses one for Chinese Democracy (albeit in different tuning, it's drop D on E standard), even though it's really not as crucial as the opening riff in Absurd. 

On 11/19/2021 at 6:57 AM, Rovim said:

I've watched a 17 minute live performance of Wicked Stone with Slash noodling like there is no tomorrow with zero emotion. It's subjective of course, and sometimes he is still great, but overall, he's not as inspired as he once was imho. He was much more consistent in the past but I think it's understandable.

at his peak he was almost always in the zone. Not anymore. Some of the time he compensates for lack of inspired ideas while improvising by throwing more technique and notes at it and it loses musical direction. One of the best things about his playing is how lyrical it was even in the most frenetic moments in his solos. There is an obvious difference to my ears though like he needs to think about what he's doing or he doesn't know where to go with the solo. He was one of the greatest at just feeling what needs to be played.

I've seen it LIVE and i enjoyed it ... Watching from the internet i can skip it

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure Axl could easily sing those screams live. Those are pretty high pitched. 

The thing is that the main riff is played first by Slash for a couple of bars, Richard joins it later. And sure he could be very specific about the guitar he wants to play it, but it wouldn't be reasonable IMO. I mean, he could literally chose at least a dozen guitars with killswitch for this song. He uses one for Chinese Democracy (albeit in different tuning, it's drop D on E standard), even though it's really not as crucial as the opening riff in Absurd. 

Yeah as I said, there can be a million reasons why they would want to perform something certain way, we simply don't know. Even though it's fun to speculate!

I'm glad that he's on both Absurd and HS though. Would be a shame if they didn't utilize two guitar players in studio and just let Slash play everything.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, metalavenger99 said:

Any other guitar players here? Have you seen the rig rundowns?  i’ve personally never seen Fortus using killswitch technique or having one installed in his whole collection of guitars that he ‘s shown in all of the interviews, i think that BH is not credited because of those seconds were just saved as a sample.

Obviously Fortus is capable of installing a 15$ killswitch button and exactly replicate that sound so they don’t have to credit BH i guess but whatever that’d be weird

Dunno how relevant this is but.... 

You can fake a kill switch on a Les Paul for example. Turn the Rhythm volume all the way down, and while playing with the switch in the treble position you can flick the switch back and forth quickly to get the killswitch effect. 

13 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I've seen it LIVE and i enjoyed it ... Watching from the internet i can skip it

glad you enjoyed it and I wasn't trying to be negative or take anything away from what Slash can do as a guitar player. I think he's still great and still delivers many brilliant live performances. It's just that for me, he's not as good as he once was at his peak. Could listen to him play for hours cause he was almost always inspired.

this shit happens to many guitar players as they age imo and Slash didn't stay at the same level of inspiration to my ears. He has improved his technique and still has many ideas as a composer but my favorite era of his improvisational playing was probably in the late 80's/ first half of the 90's.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

A lot of artists feel and touch and inspiration gets weaker due to 3 factors:

A) They live a lifestyle more comfortable, less challenging or threatening. That reflects to the emotional state and that reflects to art.

B) They are no longer functioning under the heavy influence of substances drugs that distort their perception and the feelings and the expression of the art.

C) They already achieved sucess and recognition for their art. So their drive/goal to succeed is no longer the same.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, jamillos said:

11/23 came and went...

do you think that these anniversaries mean something to Axl? genuine question. Me, I'm not so sure that they do. He released 2 songs while Gn'R was on tour. Maybe he wants to release new material only when they're touring/close to touring?

Edited by Rovim

33 minutes ago, Rovim said:

do you think that these anniversaries means something to Axl? genuine question. Me, I'm not so sure that they do. He released 2 songs while Gn'R was on tour. Maybe he wants to release new material only when they're touring/close to touring?

I'm sure the date means something to him, but from the little we know it's safe to say Axl might not look at the release of Chinese as a positive date... given the blunders with the booklet and general release marketing. Maybe he'd like his next release to have a space of its own. Spring/Summer would be better in my opinion and that creates a bit of buzz for summer touring. 

I'm not really expecting an album next summer though, but who knows how much work they've done or have to do!

Edited by Tom2112

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm sure the date means something to him, but from the little we know it's safe to say Axl might not look at the release of Chinese as a positive date... given the blunders with the booklet and general release marketing. Maybe he'd like his next release to have a space of its own. Spring/Summer would be better in my opinion and that creates a bit of buzz for summer touring.

yeah but it's like even the Appetite box set was released a year after the anniversary so even if it does have a meaning to Axl, I think it's possible that other factors could be more important to him, especially when it comes to new material like being able to support it with a tour, being satisfied with how the material turned out to be, etc.

and how could you be sure that this date means anything to him? we just can't know that imo. Slash seems to always prefer to release his albums in proximity to the start of a tour for example.

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah but it's like even the Appetite box set was released a year after the anniversary so even if it does have a meaning to Axl, I think it's possible that other factors could be more important to him, especially when it comes to new material like being able to support it with a tour, being satisfied with how the material turned out to be, etc.

and how could you be sure that this date means anything to him? we just can't know that imo. Slash seems to always prefer to release his albums in proximity to the start of a tour for example.

Well he spent over 10yrs making an album and finally released it on that date... so it's reasonable to think when late November rolls around he thinks "that time of the year again"... but I don't pretend to know/understand the inner workings of Axls mind😄

I'd guess that Axl has ideas of what he wants to do, and then there's the labels idea of what they think is the right move. But being able to tour the record is probably a top 3 priority for Axl in agreeing to release material. How I think it goes... 1. he wants to be happy with the songs, mix/master, track order, Artwork, no 2. He wants a solid a detailed plan of how it will be delivered and marketed. 3. He wants a gargantuan tour with full production bells/whistles. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well he spent over 10yrs making an album and finally released it on that date... so it's reasonable to think when late November rolls around he thinks "that time of the year again"... but I don't pretend to know/understand the inner workings of Axls mind😄

I'd guess that Axl has ideas of what he wants to do, and then there's the labels idea of what they think is the right move. But being able to tour the record is probably a top 3 priority for Axl in agreeing to release material. How I think it goes... 1. he wants to be happy with the songs, mix/master, track order, Artwork, no 2. He wants a solid a detailed plan of how it will be delivered and marketed. 3. He wants a gargantuan tour with full production bells/whistles. 

it's possible. From Axl's most recent actions it at least looks like he prefers to not announce anything before he releases a song and also enjoys performing it close to its release.

maybe if Axl wants to release a complete album all at once it will be different, but my guess is that he will give a release date that is relatively very close to the album's release itself if he even gives one at all.

I wonder if there was a plan and it was just to release Absurd and HS and then an album or if next year Axl will continue to release tunes one by one. Going by what Beta said, I believe that the plan is to eventually release a full album, CD ll, what Axl maybe always intended to release.

I think that one thing that hasn't changed and it's just a guess, is that Axl will want to make a musical statement or complete the musical statement he made with Chinese in 2008 and you can't really do that without releasing a full album imo so I remain optimistic we'll get it maybe next year or the year after that, but I think we're close.

we got 2 songs but it seems like a lot of fans are over it already and I can understand that cause 2 songs in 13 years could feel like not enough but seeing Axl that happy on stage gives me the distinct feeling he's finally ready to share his music again with the world and everything has worked out well between him, Slash, and Duff so the future looks bright, even if the waiting is very annoying to some fans and they get impatient cause the band is not active currently.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

do you think that these anniversaries mean something to Axl? genuine question. Me, I'm not so sure that they do. He released 2 songs while Gn'R was on tour. Maybe he wants to release new material only when they're touring/close to touring?

All I know he's released 3 individual records on that day, which can't be a coincidence, can it. Not that I really expected anything to happen. 

20 minutes ago, jamillos said:

All I know he's released 3 individual records on that day, which can't be a coincidence, can it. Not that I really expected anything to happen. 

but there's a start of a process here, I think. Absurd and HS are indications that Axl will try to release a full record imo. Big picture, I think that even if it takes another year or two to be released, if it is released, than that's a win for us.