The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

17 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The thing is, even if you might be right, you're constantly wrong in one thing: it's not a fact.
Is it conjecture, guess, speculation, surmise, supposition, assumption? Yes. Can we say from our end it is a fact? NO.
Deal with it. 

Of course, I've always understood that.

I believe it to be factual that he has recorded no complete vocal takes other than Atlas, Perhaps and The General, and outside of a handful of recordings in 06/07, work largely stopped after The Village Sessions.

We may never know.  The only thing I'm confident on is that no new songs other than we've heard will ever materialize, so I'll never be proven wrong.

I'm aware 10 years from now, some of you will still believe a release is imminent, and in those eyes, I'll never be right.

9 minutes ago, Pele said:

I believe it to be factual that he has recorded no complete vocal takes other than Atlas, Perhaps and The General, and outside of a handful of recordings in 06/07, work largely stopped after The Village Sessions.

We may never know.  The only thing I'm confident on is that no new songs other than we've heard will ever materialize, so I'll never be proven wrong.

I'm aware 10 years from now, some of you will still believe a release is imminent, and in those eyes, I'll never be right.

A release is a different thing; I'm not confident it's very close. An "EP" and a box set is quite a chunk for GN'R for one year. 

But still, the (real) fact they haven't released anything yet doesn't mean Axl hasn't written anything since 22 years ago, mate. We'll see. Once they release something, I'm positive we'll get some info on the origin of the songs. I don't honestly believe Axl would be fine with repeated releases of old material without writing even if just a few new songs, whether from e.g. 2004-05 (downtime) or anything later. He'll surely want his old ideas to be published, yes, but he would be aware that we are aware that all those songs are from the old CD era. Nah, he'll come up with something. 

1 hour ago, Pele said:

The new album isn't anywhere near because the singer hasn't recorded enough songs.

The excuses are unbelievable.

Firstly 'they didn't know how best to release it'.

Now they won't release it because they've got too much stuff out?

All smokescreens to cover up the fact there are no songs.

None of these are excuses actually used by the band.  The 'we will figure out how to release the material' wasn't an excuse for why it wasn't already released, but explaining to us that they hadn't determined how they would release the new music (understood that they considered physical releases, digital releases, album, no album but singles, etc). For some reason, some fans have started to think Slash literally meant that a record hadn't come out yet, or wouldn't come out in a while, because the band don't know how to release music :D As for "now they won't release it because they've got too much stuff out", is not something anyone from the band has actually said, but only fan speculation; fan expectation. I am not saying the band won't come out and say new music is delayed to 2023 now because of the UYI box, but it is a bit unfair to criticize the band for something they haven't actually said and is just something some fans expect they might say at some point. There is enough to criticize them for, we don't need to put words into their mouths which we then attack.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pele said:

Change the record. We all know what you believe and consistently parroting over and over is not gonna make anyone change their opinion.

• Like 2

In all fairness to Pele though, what else is there to talk about? I’d rather read this stuff than “man, Zodiac sure does have a killer riff! Hope it’s on the new album!”

To be honest, I don’t think there’s anything worthwhile in that vault of Axl’s either.

On another note, with regards to statements from the band members, we have to temper our expectations because so much of what they say is vague and you can argue semantics. I forget who it was - either Richard or Slash - who said they were working on a “bunch” of ideas/tunes. But a bunch could be four, to Richard or Slash. 

18 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

In all fairness to Pele though, what else is there to talk about? I’d rather read this stuff than “man, Zodiac sure does have a killer riff! Hope it’s on the new album!”

To be honest, I don’t think there’s anything worthwhile in that vault of Axl’s either.

He says the same stuff nearly every post, which is very very boring to most of us. 

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

In all fairness to Pele though, what else is there to talk about?

Good point! There is a quota of posts that needs to be met after all, so troll posts are better than zero posts!

And I would MUCH rather discuss unreleased tracks from the Village sessions than reading more of Pele's repetitive beliefs masked as truth. In fact, if you travel all the fucking way to the Antarctica, and not just any parts of Antarctica but the remote western parts, and then dig with a shovel you brought about 800 meters straight down towards the core of the earth, then you may find the subglacial lake of Lake Whillans, a lake separated from basically everything else except its immediate rocks and ice. In this submerged lake you will discover ancient microorganisms that have been living in this dark, cold and distant environment, separated from the rest of the living world, for thousands of years, entirely alone with no connection to the rest of the planet, evolving on their own in their own little universe. These fucking bacteria care more about Pele's redundant and droning posts than I do. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Good point! There is a quota of posts that needs to be met after all, so troll posts are better than zero posts!

That’s not what I said, and it’s not what I implied. Also, enough with the “masked as truth,” nonsense - every person who posts here is posting their opinion. If I say “Axl hasn’t recorded any new vocals,” you shouldn’t need me to preface it with a disclaimer that says I’m just some asshole from DC giving an opinion. That’s all implied.

For every Pele that is overly negative, there is an inverse that attacks any criticism aimed towards the band. Trolling is bad, but an echo chamber is just as exhausting. Honestly, what I find interesting to read are the excuses that get made for the band whenever their lack of output gets brought up.

But, if you want to discuss unreleased tracks from the Village Sessions, then I’m game: they’re generally awful, lifeless, and boring. Atlas Shrugged is tuneless and formless. Perhaps is boring, plodding mid tempo saloon rock that never builds to anything resembling a payoff. Quicksong, depending on which version you listen to, has an interesting intro before getting mired down in more mid-tempo generic riffage with an incredibly annoying vocal melody.

Of all the tunes on the Village sessions, the band at least chose the right two to release: Absurd, for all its faults, does have a certain energy and lent itself well to being Slashed up. Hard Skool was clearly the best of the bunch, and I think Slash’s version was an improvement on the demo. Beyond those two? Ooph. Tonto might have some promise in it, but it all depends on what Axl might do on top of it, if he ever cuts a new vocal - which, at this point, seems unlikely.

oh, and this was all just my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Yea, because it’s more than likely the case. 

Not following the logic here at all. "I'd rather read an opinion I agree with over and over and over and over than there be actual interesting discussion" is what I'm seeing right now. 

Edited by Jw224

4 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

That’s not what I said, and it’s not what I implied. Also, enough with the “masked as truth,” nonsense - every person who posts here is posting their opinion. If I say “Axl hasn’t recorded any new vocals,” you shouldn’t need me to preface it with a disclaimer that says I’m just some asshole from DC giving an opinion. That’s all implied.

For every Pele that is overly negative, there is an inverse that attacks any criticism aimed towards the band. Trolling is bad, but an echo chamber is just as exhausting. Honestly, what I find interesting to read are the excuses that get made for the band whenever their lack of output gets brought up.

But, if you want to discuss unreleased tracks from the Village Sessions, then I’m game: they’re generally awful, lifeless, and boring. Atlas Shrugged is tuneless and formless. Perhaps is boring, plodding mid tempo saloon rock that never builds to anything resembling a payoff. Quicksong, depending on which version you listen to, has an interesting intro before getting mired down in more mid-tempo generic riffage with an incredibly annoying vocal melody.

Of all the tunes on the Village sessions, the band at least chose the right two to release: Absurd, for all its faults, does have a certain energy and lent itself well to being Slashed up. Hard Skool was clearly the best of the bunch, and I think Slash’s version was an improvement on the demo. Beyond those two? Ooph. Tonto might have some promise in it, but it all depends on what Axl might do on top of it, if he ever cuts a new vocal - which, at this point, seems unlikely.

oh, and this was all just my opinion, of course.

You definitely implied Pele is excused from his droll posts because, as you said, there is nothing better to talk about. That's excusing trolls from creating noise because, after all, otherwise there would just be silence.

And I disagree, of course people should make it clear when they are speculating, to actually separate they from true insiders who occasionally do post here. 

I wouldn't say Pele is particularly negative. Do you find him very negative? Believing that Axl hasn't recorded vocals since 99 (except exactly for those songs which we happen to have heard), isn't a very negative belief, in my opinion. It is an unlikely belief, but not negative. Negativity is not the issue at all. The problem is his repetitive posts and how he so often "forgets" to emphasize he is just speculating. He is like a bore-bot, a malicious algorithm set to destroy every thread with his inane droning posts.

I want to discuss the Village leaks, but maybe not in this thread? Anyway, I see a LOT of potential in the demo songs and can easily image many of them could be turned into great tunes. Just imagine how they went from the early version of Shackler's found on the leaks to the version on CD, which I really like. Remember, these are not songs necessarily meant as instrumentals, and if you rip away vocals on many released GN'R tracks what you are left with isn't always something you would want to listen to many times. There are also some absolute gems there, like Hard Skool, Eye on You, State of Grace, Thyme, Quicksong, etc.

Axl might not record new vocals in the future, but we may not need him to do that to hear Tonto with vocals because he could have recorded vocals to that songs in any year since 1999. Unless you happen to suffer from the same cognitive malfunction as Pele and think that Axl has only recorded vocals to songs either released on CD or songs which we have fortunately heard through leaks, and that there is zero chance that he during any of these recording sessions actually recorded vocals to additional songs that wasn't included on CD or haven't been leaked yet.

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You definitely implied Pele is excused from his droll posts because, as you said, there is nothing better to talk about. That's excusing trolls from creating noise because, after all, otherwise there would just be silence.

And I disagree, of course people should make it clear when they are speculating, to actually separate they from true insiders who occasionally do post here. 

I wouldn't say Pele is particularly negative. Do you find him very negative? Believing that Axl hasn't recorded vocals since 99 (except exactly for those songs which we happen to have heard), isn't a very negative belief, in my opinion. It is an unlikely belief, but not negative. Negativity is not the issue at all. The problem is his repetitive posts and how he so often "forgets" to emphasize he is just speculating. He is like a bore-bot, a malicious algorithm set to destroy every thread with his inane droning posts.

I want to discuss the Village leaks, but maybe not in this thread? Anyway, I see a LOT of potential in the demo songs and can easily image many of them could be turned into great tunes. Just imagine how they went from the early version of Shackler's found on the leaks to the version on CD, which I really like. Remember, these are not songs necessarily meant as instrumentals, and if you rip away vocals on many released GN'R tracks what you are left with isn't always something you would want to listen to many times. There are also some absolute gems there, like Hard Skool, Eye on You, State of Grace, Thyme, Quicksong, etc.

Axl might not record new vocals in the future, but we may not need him to do that to hear Tonto with vocals because he could have recorded vocals to that songs in any year since 1999. Unless you happen to suffer from the same cognitive malfunction as Pele and think that Axl has only recorded vocals to songs either released on CD or songs which we have fortunately heard through leaks, and that there is zero chance that he during any of these recording sessions actually recorded vocals to additional songs that wasn't included on CD or haven't been leaked yet.

I'm sorry, I just disagree with you. I disagree with just about everything in this post.

"People should make it clear when they're speculating," is ridiculous. I understand that Axl and Fernando have posted here before, but by and large the majority of "insiders" with this band are absolutely bogus. Unless someone clearly says "I have/am an inside source with the band, and..." then I'm just going to assume that whatever they're saying is that person's opinion. It's an internet message board for a rock n' roll band from the 80s. It's not exactly a public health alert system or something damaging. 

With regards to the Village Leaks, they're just another example of you and I seeing things differently. You hear Eye On You and hear an "absolute gem." I hear a piece of garbage. I don't even like State of Grace (and even your friend Pele seems to like that one, if I recall). It's dull. I agree with you that, stripped of vocals, some GnR tunes wouldn't be so interesting (without Axl, Right Next Door to Hell would just be a quick power chord romp, so fair point there). That said, I just don't hear anything left worth pursuing on the Village Leaks.

And again - you say "cognitive malfunction," which is very kind of you, but again - I see it differently. I just think it's a...reasonable assumption? I'm sure that there are other vocals recorded, somewhere. Wasn't Shackler's allegedly recorded in 2007?

But the fact remains that the only two pieces of music released, post-CD, are with 99 vocals. And so, if the next track happens to be Atlas or Perhaps, then yes - I will assume that either he has no more vocals laid down or - even worse - the songs with vocals that he *does* have laying around aren't worth releasing. Neither of which sounds promising to a fan who wants to hear new music from these guys. I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a cognitive malfunction. I think that's reasonable, given the information we have to go on.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I'm sorry, I just disagree with you. I disagree with just about everything in this post.

"People should make it clear when they're speculating," is ridiculous. I understand that Axl and Fernando have posted here before, but by and large the majority of "insiders" with this band are absolutely bogus. Unless someone clearly says "I have/am an inside source with the band, and..." then I'm just going to assume that whatever they're saying is that person's opinion. It's an internet message board for a rock n' roll band from the 80s. It's not exactly a public health alert system or something damaging. 

With regards to the Village Leaks, they're just another example of you and I seeing things differently. You hear Eye On You and hear an "absolute gem." I hear a piece of garbage. I don't even like State of Grace (and even your friend Pele seems to like that one, if I recall). It's dull. I agree with you that, stripped of vocals, some GnR tunes wouldn't be so interesting (without Axl, Right Next Door to Hell would just be a quick power chord romp, so fair point there). That said, I just don't hear anything left worth pursuing on the Village Leaks.

And again - you say "cognitive malfunction," which is very kind of you, but again - I see it differently. I just think it's a...reasonable assumption? I'm sure that there are other vocals recorded, somewhere. Wasn't Shackler's allegedly recorded in 2007?

But the fact remains that the only two pieces of music released, post-CD, are with 99 vocals. And so, if the next track happens to be Atlas or Perhaps, then yes - I will assume that either he has no more vocals laid down or - even worse - the songs with vocals that he *does* have laying around aren't worth releasing. Neither of which sounds promising to a fan who wants to hear new music from these guys. I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a cognitive malfunction. I think that's reasonable, given the information we have to go on.

Oh, we have had other insiders posting over the years. If you post with conviction, stating somewhat implausible beliefs as facts, then a little disclaimer about this being speculation is only polite. 

If the next two songs we get are also with 99 vocals, then yes, that lowers the probability that newer vocals exist. But Pele's opinions aren't based on the next songs, he is stating now, based on what we have today, that no new vocals exist. That is very different. And it is not that his beliefs are entirely impossible, like in the realm of what can't be true, they are just somewhat aparte, nor that he is so negative, but his persistent insistent on repeating his beliefs masqueraded as fact over and over that bothers people. There are people with weirder opinions, or more negative posts, that doesn't annoy people half as much as he does. Which is why he is such an effectual troll. 

I hear you, and I understand that can be frustrating - but try to see it from the other perspective. To those of us who *don't* think there's more out there, hearing about all these potential masterpieces in the vault is equally as maddening, because we just don't have it in us to believe that they really exist, outside of as a concept in Axl's mind. It's two sides of an argument: one keeps saying "no," and the other keeps saying "yes." The guy saying "no" might have a more grating voice and he might bang on the table, but it's no different than the guy who keeps saying "yes." That's just how I view it, of course, but I like entertaining differing opinions. You just said you like Eye On You - that's actually fascinating to me. I'm glad you like it! It's cool that we all hear things differently. I just don't hear it that way, myself.

I just think, both in this obscure corner of the internet and the world at large, that we've gotten into a tricky area in public discourse where we immediately dismiss anyone who disagrees with us as a troll. I don't think that's a good thing, because then we never allow ourselves to examine our own positions to see if they hold water and to see if the 'troll' might be right.

With regards to a lot of the tunes that Axl & co have discussed as being in progress, I can't help but think of a quote from Adam Clayton of U2. Adam was discussing an album-in-progress and said "Obviously we appreciate the work, but when you hear stuff in rough form, you're going 'OK, how is this going to work as a U2 song? There's no melodies here yet, there's still quite a lot of work to go, but it's a good starting point.'...Now I know Bono already thinks the album is finished because that's the way his head works, he's going 'I can hear these songs, I can hear guitar parts, I've got melodies in my head, yeah, this is a hit!' So he thinks he's playing me a hit and I think I'm hearing some guitar riffs against a drum loop that need a lot of work. It's just a difference of perspective."

My theory is that a lot of these Guns songs that are in the vault are *very* rough drafts, and Axl's just hears it as it *could* be or maybe even *will* be, and that's what we've heard a lot about in terms of potential new songs.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I hear you, and I understand that can be frustrating - but try to see it from the other perspective. To those of us who *don't* think there's more out there, hearing about all these potential masterpieces in the vault is equally as maddening, because we just don't have it in us to believe that they really exist, outside of as a concept in Axl's mind. It's two sides of an argument: one keeps saying "no," and the other keeps saying "yes." The guy saying "no" might have a more grating voice and he might bang on the table, but it's no different than the guy who keeps saying "yes." That's just how I view it, of course, but I like entertaining differing opinions. You just said you like Eye On You - that's actually fascinating to me. I'm glad you like it! It's cool that we all hear things differently. I just don't hear it that way, myself.

I just think, both in this obscure corner of the internet and the world at large, that we've gotten into a tricky area in public discourse where we immediately dismiss anyone who disagrees with us as a troll. I don't think that's a good thing, because then we never allow ourselves to examine our own positions to see if they hold water and to see if the 'troll' might be right.

With regards to a lot of the tunes that Axl & co have discussed as being in progress, I can't help but think of a quote from Adam Clayton of U2. Adam was discussing an album-in-progress and said "Obviously we appreciate the work, but when you hear stuff in rough form, you're going 'OK, how is this going to work as a U2 song? There's no melodies here yet, there's still quite a lot of work to go, but it's a good starting point.'...Now I know Bono already thinks the album is finished because that's the way his head works, he's going 'I can hear these songs, I can hear guitar parts, I've got melodies in my head, yeah, this is a hit!' So he thinks he's playing me a hit and I think I'm hearing some guitar riffs against a drum loop that need a lot of work. It's just a difference of perspective."

My theory is that a lot of these Guns songs that are in the vault are *very* rough drafts, and Axl's just hears it as it *could* be or maybe even *will* be, and that's what we've heard a lot about in terms of potential new songs.

This is a great post and the U2 quote sums up the situation very well - the only difference being Bono actually finishes his songs.

I very much think Axl gets inspiration from the Oklahoma bombings - maybe thinks of a verse, and tags it on to Oklahoma.  And I think it likely ended up there - completely unfinished.

I think Axl told Bucket he loved the Zodiac film and Bucket wrote a piece called Zodiac and Axl intended to finish it off.  

I believe the intent of a trilogy was there when he had an albums worth of material with several 'ideas'.

We have now reached the point that you're basically being trolled and you still believe.  He couldn't make it clearer he has nothing.  No new songs in 12 years.  Deliberately vague answers on a new album, until Slash finally admitted they hadn't worked on anything new.  When they did finally release something, it wasn't a coincidence that we'd heard every single note of Rose's performance already.

If you honestly think he has material, where on earth is it?

We all used to point to the fact he hoard his tracks.

He doesn't have any!

The album didn't come out in 99, or 00-01 because he didn't have the songs.  He had Chinese, with Hardschool/Perhaps - without Sorry/Better/Shacklers/Scraped etc and he took YEARS to finish it.

It's now taking him YEARS to finish a follow up because all he has is Silkworms/Hardschool/Atlas/General/Perhaps and OMG.

So guess what?  Look forward to 'new single' Atlas Shrugged in 2022!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

But it is not two dividing opinions that are equally likely. That's a false equivalency. 

As for trolls, I don't see people automatically labeling people with different opinions as trolls. I don't see that term being used much, really. Pele is not trolling because he has a different opinion than me or us, but because he keeps repeating that opinion, in a copy-paste fashion, obviously intended only to rile people up. Carefully crafted posts intended to take the piss, regardless of whether you believe them or not, is trolling. Hell, that's all he has done here. Almost like he come to this forum solely for the giggles of trolling. I could visit another forum, pretend to be an insider, present an unpopular opinion, present it again, and again, and again, over and over, to cause lots of commotion and noise, and the difference would be that I wouldn't find some personal satisfaction in that, like Pele obviously does. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But it is not two dividing opinions that are equally likely. That's a false equivalency. 

As for trolls, I don't see people automatically labeling people with different opinions as trolls. I don't see that term being used much, really. Pele is not trolling because he has a different opinion than me or us, but because he keeps repeating that opinion, in a copy-paste fashion, obviously intended only to rile people up. Carefully crafted posts intended to take the piss, regardless of whether you believe them or not, is trolling. Hell, that's all he has done here. Almost like he come to this forum solely for the giggles of trolling. I could visit another forum, pretend to be an insider, present an unpopular opinion, present it again, and again, and again, over and over, to cause lots of commotion and noise, and the difference would be that I wouldn't find some personal satisfaction in that, like Pele obviously does. 

I don’t know, man. Being of the opposite opinion on the matter, I respectfully disagree. I know you’re not gonna like hearing this but, as much as you despise those posts, I read them and go “I’m glad someone’s saying it, because that’s kinda how I feel too.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I don’t know, man. Being of the opposite opinion on the matter, I respectfully disagree. I know you’re not gonna like hearing this but, as much as you despise those posts, I read them and go “I’m glad someone’s saying it, because that’s kinda how I feel too.”

Don't listen to the 'fake insider' nonsense.  I've never claimed to be anything of the sort.

I, like you, can clearly see what has happened over the last 30 years.

In 30 years (seriously, 30 years) the guy came up with one original album and 5-6 extras. 

I know tastes are subjective, but that 30 years of work contained Silkworms, OMG, Riad, Scraped, Cather, If The World and Atlas Shrugged - which are among the worst songs I've heard from a songwriter I admire.  It also contains average mediocrity like Chinese, IRS, Hardskool, Perhaps etc.

Stop pretending he's some genius who is hoarding masterpieces (not referring to @GoodOlJohnnyK here) .

He's contributed to about 5 good songs in 30 years.

Edited by Pele
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Don't listen to the 'fake insider' nonsense.  I've never claimed to be anything of the sort.

I, like you, can clearly see what has happened over the last 30 years.

In 30 years (seriously, 30 years) the guy came up with one original album and 5-6 extras. 

I know tastes are subjective, but that 30 years of work contained Silkworms, OMG, Riad, Scraped, Cather, If The World and Atlas Shrugged - which are among the worst songs I've heard from a songwriter I admire.  It also contains average mediocrity like Chinese, IRS, Hardskool, Perhaps etc.

Stop pretending he's some genius who is hoarding masterpieces (not referring to @GoodOlJohnnyK here) .

He's contributed to about 5 good songs in 30 years.

Another day same bullshit.

You need to get creative and give us some other "facts" that we are not seeing. Tells us more about that Rose guy you often speak of, he sounds despicable .

• Haha 2

Pele is talking about some songs, a singer, and a rock n' roll band., yet I see many (though not all) who either disagree with the stance, or are frustrated by the frequency of the posts, often hurling personal insults.

Why is that acceptable?

If he's breaking some forum rule, ban him.  If he's not, but, you don't like what he's saying, ignore it.

No one is compelling anyone to continually quote his posts, and, yet, many of you continue to compulsively do so, as though Axl will one day acknowledge your defense of him in public.

Just give it a rest on both sides for a while, at least...cripes!

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 2