The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I apologize for cherry-picking a part of your post.  I hate it when done to me, and, I usually find it obnoxious, but, I'm doing it now because the rest of it was the usual Pele-related drivel and, really, only this part stood out to me.

To the above, I say, well, why not?  We would've said the same three years ago before the Village leaks.  Sure, the probability is fairly low, but, not outside the realm of possibility.

No problem. The leaks - sure, that could happen. I meant more like the box set with the original versions. I kinda can't imagine people having waited for 20 yrs for Axl and Slash to bury the hatchet only to then receive a record with someone elses' guitars on it. Maybe if it was a gigantic collection on some anniversary, then maybe, maybe... Also, this kind of release would generate merciless comparisons a la Axl's NuGNR vs "Slash" GNR. Not sure if that's what Axl would want...

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wish L!VE FREE was here.

He would back up those who insist there's at least one album of material with vocals. (Outside of CD)

I just want one release to be done with minimum drama and maximum effort.

Announce an album, release an album, promote an album.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

No problem. The leaks - sure, that could happen. I meant more like the box set with the original versions. I kinda can't imagine people having waited for 20 yrs for Axl and Slash to bury the hatchet only to then receive a record with someone elses' guitars on it. Maybe if it was a gigantic collection on some anniversary, then maybe, maybe... Also, this kind of release would generate merciless comparisons a la Axl's NuGNR vs "Slash" GNR. Not sure if that's what Axl would want...

I hate to say it, but, as much as I want a comprehensive, CD-era boxed set, I'd have to presume we'd be only getting something like that once Axl passes.

Anyway, I may be a bit of an idealist or too optimistic or whatever. Unlike others though, I'm not claiming I know shit or that this is definitely the way it's all gonna go down. What I'm saying is, it would be nice, that's all. And hope is never lost. :)

Edited by jamillos

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Anyway, I may be a bit of an idealist or too optimistic or whatever. Unlike others though, I'm not claiming I know shit or that this is definitely the way it's all gonna go down. All I'm saying is it would be nice, that's all. And hope is never lost. :)

Hey, listen...that's not my position, but, I can respect and appreciate that there are other people out there who maintain that hope for the rest of us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jamillos said:

As usual, as pointless as it is, I can just once again repeat the same stuff: they used some 14 studios for recording of CD. Surely they didn’t create completely new music in all of them, but on the other hand, it’s unreasonable to presume they used them all only for tinkering with the existing 14 CD songs. That’s just nonsense. And considering Axl had loads of time in 2003–2005 and some more later, there’s no reason to insist that he wrote/finished/revamped nothing at all during these periods. There’s zero evidence of that. On the contrary – we do know the sequel was getting ready. 
Anyway, the best way to hear all these tracks would be in the original version as a box set or if they leaked. Which is not gonna happen, we’ll probably hear them the same way as HS/SW. 
And even if Axl didn't get to finish them back then – what would be stopping him from having finished them in the recent years during all those downtimes? Nothing, that’s what. 
Anyway, there's definitely material. The thing is, I want something new as well, that's the point. 

Well here's the thing.

Slash says they are gonna release the songs Axl had.

So let's see what they are.

I say it's Perhaps/HardSkool/General.

You think it's a full albums worth.

We're gonna see.

42 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

What were you expecting, a release announcement?:lol:

It's OK, buddy.  You're new here.  You'll catch on.

No, not at all. I was at least expecting something though 😂

New(ish) officially, but was a long-time lurker before signing up. Like I said, I should know better hahaha

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Yeah - but what if all you ever hear from this are a re-done Atlas and a re-done Perhaps.

That would be disappointing wouldn't it?

He has been disappointing us since the original and UYI line up broke up.  At this point, I will take anything.  It's obvious he doesn't want to write a new album.  They can use covid or any other excuse, but it hasn't stopped any other band from creating and releasing music

2 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

He has been disappointing us since the original and UYI line up broke up.  At this point, I will take anything.  It's obvious he doesn't want to write a new album.  They can use covid or any other excuse, but it hasn't stopped any other band from creating and releasing music

Agree with all that, except 'I'd take anything'

When they release Atlas and Perhaps - I'll take a listen out of curiosity.  Once probably. 

Mainly to see if he's taken the 'woo woo' from Quick Song and pasted them over a guitar solo in a desperate attempt to trick someone into thinking he may have recorded a new vocal line.

I certainly won't pay for it etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tyson said:

I'm no expert on the current state of the music industry nor on the best ways to release new material, but I think the idea that 'the landscape has changed SO much that a traditional release just won't do' theory is a bit overblown.  There is no reason why, if it existed, a great video for a fantastic new single couldn't be released, followed by lots of promotion on various platforms, followed by an album release.  In fact, that is what I want!  The untraditionally released HardSKool and Absurd vids on Youtube have a pittance of views.  Goddammit, I just want a new damn album done right where most of the material is new and unheard prior to release.  Call me crazy!

Look what Kid Rock is doing (i dont care if anyone likes him or not), he has released two new ones, and just announced 3 more at midnight.  Just announced a tour as well.  GnR is going back out, they can easily do this as well.  Slash sort of said that was the plan.  We shall see

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pele said:

Will you be positively surprised if/when it's Perhaps or Atlas Shrugged?

Now, not so much. If you asked me one year ago, yes. 

It all comes down to expectations. Your reaction to something is anchored to your expectations. I have never really expected much of Guns N' Roses. When Axl decided to reunite with Slash and Duff, I was sure that would be the end to new music. I expected it to be one cash grab tour and then Axl retiring and then maybe he would slowly work on releasing remaining songs from the CD sessions. I was obviously wrong but my point is that with this pretty negative background, it doesn't take much to give me a positive surprise. 

Then there are those who always hoped for a reunion, that longed to see Axl and Slash back on stage, that thought Axl would deage and sing better and look thinner as soon as Slash was there, that they would start writing songs together and that Guns N' Roses would be the greatest band in the world again. I always argued against this, trying to adjust such wild expectations. Naturally, with this background it is hard to get positively surprised. 

Going back to your question. To be surprised, something unexpected must happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if Perhaps and Atlas Shrugged, which were quite finished already back in 2001, are included among the songs to be released. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It all comes down to expectations. Your reaction to something is anchored to your expectations. I have never really expected much of Guns N' Roses. When Axl decided to reunite with Slash and Duff, I was sure that would be the end to new music. I expected it to be one cash grab tour and then Axl retiring and then maybe he would slowly work on releasing remaining songs from the CD sessions. I was obviously wrong but my point is that with this pretty negative background, it doesn't take much to give me a positive surprise. 

Then there are those who always hoped for a reunion, that longed to see Axl and Slash back on stage, that thought Axl would deage and sing better and look thinner as soon as Slash was there, that they would start writing songs together and that Guns N' Roses would be the greatest band in the world again. I always argued against this, trying to adjust such wild expectations. Naturally, with this background it is hard to get positively surprised. 

Going back to your question. To be surprised, something unexpected must happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if Perhaps and Atlas Shrugged, which were quite finished already back in 2001, are included among the songs to be released. 

I like your vibe! That's really the best way of looking at it. I get where yer coming from now. Cheers! 👌🤘🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

And then there are those who don’t revel in extremes and thus kinda expected reasonably expectable expectations. :) I.e. not for the band to change the history once again, since it’s not 1987 anymore. But on the other hand, they had the momentum and could have done way more than they did a few years back. Axl’s voice was basically top-notch in 2016, the world was excited, everything worked fine. It was 2018 when it started to stink. That was the year when it broke and we saw they were going just for the safe touring instead of initiating a new chapter. No, they didn’t have to be the greatest band again etc. – that’s an extreme and nobody is expecting that; what they could have done, though, is operate as a normal productive band, release shit for the fans etc. Yet they chose the nostalgia thing instead, and that’s the problem. With the covid thing added, four years have been wasted. 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Another thing I thought of: Someone seemed to express surprise that Slash would accept to just add his guitar to songs he hasn't help write, and release them in Guns N' Roses, and that this would somehow tarnish the legacy. 

First off, this is very much how the band used to write. Slash used to add his lead guitar to songs written by other band members. Only rarely did Axl and Slash write together. What is unusual, is that there will be no songs written by Slash on the record, or written by Slash and Duff together. 

Secondly, Slash has never been very particular about albums he has released, including while in Guns N' Roses. That was always Axl. To Slash, an album is just a means to tour. Even to the extent where he can accept some mistakes and sloppiness and certainly not need every song to be a masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, he cares about the result, but I am sure that he accepts that if they have Axl on vocals and he on leads, it will be Guns N' Roses. 

Lastly, I believe some fans take Guns N' Roses a lot more seriously than the band itself, at least Slash. Especially at these later stages where Slash has other outlets and where the band is in its sunset years and where anything they do will be a plus and reflect positively on them and the band's thin discography. 

It’s not necessarily about writing strictly new material and not working with anything pre-existing. However, I refuse to believe Slash would just settle with playing someone else’s guitar parts on the entire record of his own band. Imagine this crazy situation: Both Appetite and UYI songs would have been created by Axl and Tracii, and all Slash would have done is playing Tracii’s parts, without his own input. There’s no SCOM, nothing, he just keeps playing another guitarist’s ideas, and that’s how they release any albums. 
Is that what you guys are expecting from him now? Nah, put it in the respective perspective. :) 

Edited by jamillos

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Will you be surprised if/when no other songs appear?

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

What is unusual, is that there will be no songs written by Slash on the record, or written by Slash and Duff together. 

This is solely because the singer wont sing them or contribute lyrics.

Let's not pretend anything otherwise.

22 minutes ago, Pele said:

This is solely because the singer wont sing them or contribute lyrics.

Let's not pretend anything otherwise.

To quote Rose a bit

In a nutshell, personally I consider Pele a cancer and better removed, avoided. And the less anyone heard of him or his supporters the better. 

2 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

To quote Rose a bit

In a nutshell, personally I consider Pele a cancer and better removed, avoided. And the less anyone heard of him or his supporters the better. 

Jeez, really?  A cancer?  How seriously are you talking this place? 

I think cancer is a bit harsh.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

To quote Rose a bit

Jesus H Christ, there's a few highly strung men on this site entitled! Settle petal.

• ABSUЯD 2