John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

5 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Kinda disappointed after listening to Tippa My Tongue... thought this was gonna be a more solid album, but unfortunately RHCP seems to care more about releasing literally every last bit of material they have and make another 17-track album targetted towards profiting the most possible out of streaming platforms and that makes this album, which has pretty good material in it, be surrounded by mediocre songs that would never the cut 15 years ago.

Anyways, this is how I rate/rank the songs:

Tippa My Tongue 8.5/10

Roulette 6/10

Afterlife 6/10

Bella 6/10

Peace and Love 6/10

Copperbelly 6/10

Carry Me Home 5/10

Handful 5/10

Eddie 5/10

La La La La La La La La 4/10

Fake As Fuck 4/10

My Cigarette 4/10

Shoot Me A Smile 3/10

Reach Out 3/10

Bag of Grins 3/10

The Drummer 3/10

In the Snow 2/10

If this is not a troll, I would encourage you to listen again, I think whatever headspace or mood you were in on your first listen did you a disservice (happens to me all the time on first listens, I actually wasn’t into this album very much on my first listen). 

if you don’t like the album whatever, but having lalalala above The Drummer tells me that something went wrong here, having Afterlife above Eddie tells me something went wrong here

throw it on in the car, smoke a bowl, listen to it in random order, I don’t know, something different

Edited by Jakey Styley
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

If this is not a troll, I would encourage you to listen again, I think whatever headspace or mood you were in on your first listen did you a disservice (happens to me all the time on first listens, I actually wasn’t into this album very much on my first listen). 

if you don’t like the album whatever, but having lalalala above The Drummer tells me that something went wrong here, having Afterlife above Eddie tells me something went wrong here

throw it on in the car, smoke a bowl, listen to it in random order, I don’t know, something different

Gonna have another listen. My first UL listen also gave me a much more negative view of the album than I ended up having after a while. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The Drummer is a great choice for the newest single:

This album keeps growing on me with each listen. Way better than UL.

Such a lovely song. I was worried they didn’t have these up their sleeve anymore. When the soloing kicks in on the final chorus:wub:

• Like 2

If you can’t get enough of that funky, half rap/singing type of songs, then UL and this new record won’t disappoint because there are good songs on it.

But if you want them to be a bit more adventurous (like on BTW and the records with Josh) then this will be a bit underwhelming. Most songs could have easily been on Stadium Arcadium. Plus, personally I’m getting a bit tired of Anthony’s recycled rap/singing melodies because after a while they all start to sound the same, because, well, most of them are. And I hate to say this, but even the guitar solos are starting to sound the same.

Still, awesome that at this point in their career they are releasing so many songs, and there’s definitely some great stuff on both records.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Bag Of Grins is my favourite right now. It's heavy, Chad Smith is a beast on it, and the lyrics and melodies are great (especially the outro).

The lyrics on this one really surprised me. Sounds like Anthony is acknowledging age and mortality on this song.

EDIT: I’m pretty much at the point where I like all 18 songs now. Crazy how different I feel now compared to my first spin. Guess I just didn’t know what to expect after UL.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

Had a few more listens and yes, a few tracks grew on me but I still think it's not that much of a solid album. I'd rather have the two Josh albums than these two post-reunion albums, tbh. If they had released the best tracks out of both records as a single, more concise album, maybe it would have been a better listen, IMO. This is how I would have done it:

1. Tippa My Tongue
  2. Black Summer
  3. Aquatic Mouth Dance
  4. Copperbelly
  5. White Braids and Pillow Chair
  6. Bella
  7. This Heavy Wing
  8. Peace And Love
  9. Poster Child
  10. Roulette
  11. It's Only Natural
  12. La La La La La La La La
  13. Not The One

Then maybe release the other songs as B-Sides, singles, mix and match, rework them, save 'em up for future albums, whatever...

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I don't know why but right now I can't enjoy the 2 new albums. It all sounds pretty monotonous to me and Kiedis gets on my nerves if I listen to more than a song or two. Strange. 

Exactly. I wondered "Am I even a RHCP fan anymore? What's happening? Maybe I just don't like 'em anymore" but then I listened to Stadium Arcadium, BSSM, BTW and Californication again and it's all still great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Exactly. I wondered "Am I even a RHCP fan anymore? What's happening? Maybe I just don't like 'em anymore" but then I listened to Stadium Arcadium, BSSM, BTW and Californication again and it's all still great.

Nostalgia. Though to be fair, those are their best albums.

Edited by rocknroll41

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Same here... I know there are good songs on it, but it's not Californication/BTW quality either and maybe most of it has become a bit too repetitive for me. 

yeah it's not nearly as inspired imo. I still enjoy the new albums, some of the tunes are great, as always.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:08 PM, Cosmo said:

I've been thinking exactly the same thing.

Too many of the new songs are mid paced pop songs for me  - all start to blend together after a while.

Starting to sound like Coldplay!

But then when I think about - I reckon it could have been a really good single album of 17 songs.

Too much filler.

Hard to believe they left soul to squeeze off BSSM but found room for some of the songs on these albums.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, DK6 said:

I've been thinking exactly the same thing.

Too many of the new songs are mid paced pop songs for me  - all start to blend together after a while.

Starting to sound like Coldplay!

But then when I think about - I reckon it could have been a really good single album of 17 songs.

Too much filler.

Hard to believe they left soul to squeeze off BSSM but found room for some of the songs on these albums.

Frusciante said the other day that he regrets them not putting Soul To Squeeze on BSSM now.

On 10/18/2022 at 7:23 PM, Jakey Styley said:

Right? I'm pretty sure if I made an "Unlimited Dreams" mashup album, it would have 4-5 songs tops from UL.

Yeah my current condensed playlist only has 7 UL songs and the other 11 are all from RotDC now.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I’d throw in here that Flea, Chad Smith and Josh Klinghoffer are on Morrissey’s upcoming(?) album Bonfire of Teenagers that may or may not be released in 2023. Morrissey specifically mentioned those three on his website, though other media outlets are mentioning Frusciante being involved but I guess that’s an error on their part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dean said:

Just thought I’d throw in here that Flea, Chad Smith and Josh Klinghoffer are on Morrissey’s upcoming(?) album Bonfire of Teenagers that may or may not be released in 2023. Morrissey specifically mentioned those three on his website, though other media outlets are mentioning Frusciante being involved but I guess that’s an error on their part.

I'm really excited for this to happen, Dean. It's Klingy and Morrissey. ^_^

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I'm really excited for this to happen, Dean. It's Klingy and Morrissey. ^_^

I tried to steer clear of live performances as Moz has played quite a lot of the new stuff live. Unfortunately I stumbled across Rebels Without Applause and it’s been in my head since. Total Cemetery Gates vibes but it’s absolutely brilliant. Hopefully the album sees the light of day, as Morrissey announced Capitol in the US picked it up for a Worldwide release excluding the U.K. where there is no deal in place, but just a few days back he then posted that it’s no longer being released in Feb and it’s future is in the hands of Capitol. Mental, but hopefully it’s just really odd PR.

• Like 1

Now that Shape I’m Takin’ is out for real, I revised my “love canteen” playlist:

1.The Shape I’m Takin’

2.Tippa My Tongue

3.Here Ever After

4.Peace & Love

5.Fake as F@ck

6.Eddie

7.Bella

8.Roulette

9.Nerve Flip

10.Watchu Thinkin

11.Black Summer

12.It’s Only Natural