John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I always thought Flea was the real funk guy and that he wanted to do the funk thing but that John was pushing more towards the melodic stuff (he wasn't really coming from a funk place anyway before he joined the band). Flea has said he wanted to quit the band after By The Way because John was kinda taking over the band creatively speaking, but then they got back on the same page and Stadium Arcadium was more funky again, at least compared to By The Way.

But perhaps you're right and Flea was also moving towards a more melodic/pop direction. I think they need John because of that ''musical language'' that he and Flea have created together, and they simply need his songwriting qualities, because he's probably a better songwriter than Flea and Josh. And as Anthony has said many times, he has never found someone he could write with as easily as with John. But I hope they will also still play some songs off the last two records with Josh. 

Yeah you’re correct that Flea didn’t like By the Way and wanted it to be more funky, but I’m pretty sure the Flea from 2001-2002 is not the same as the Flea from 2015-present, or else The Getaway wouldn’t sound the way it does. Plus, Flea has also said that another reason he didn’t like By the Way and nearly left the band at that time was cause Anthony slept with his sister while they were making the album.

And yeah, I hope they still play Dark Necessities and Goodbye Angels with John. Aeroplane and Go Robot would also be nice, but I could deal without them.

11 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah you’re correct that Flea didn’t like By the Way and wanted it to be more funky, but I’m pretty sure the Flea from 2001-2002 is not the same as the Flea from 2015-present, or else The Getaway wouldn’t sound the way it does. Plus, Flea has also said that another reason he didn’t like By the Way and nearly left the band at that time was cause Anthony slept with his sister while they were making the album.

And yeah, I hope they still play Dark Necessities and Goodbye Angels with John. Aeroplane and Go Robot would also be nice, but I could deal without them.

Still at that time? He wrote in his book about having sex with Flea's sister when they were kids and Flea didn't like reading it obviously, but I didn't know they had sex again during the By The Way era?

Anyway, I was surprised they didn't play Monarchy Of Roses during the Getaway tour... that is such a good live song. And Happiness Loves Company and Meet Me At The Corner. Those are really good songs but they never played them live a lot. I don't get why they ignored most of I'm With You later on anyway, I think it's a great album.

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Still at that time? He wrote in his book about having sex with Flea's sister when they were kids and Flea didn't like reading it obviously, but I didn't know they had sex again during the By The Way era?

Anyway, I was surprised they didn't play Monarchy Of Roses during the Getaway tour... that is such a good live song. And Happiness Loves Company and Meet Me At The Corner. Those are really good songs but they never played them live a lot. I don't get why they ignored most of I'm With You later on anyway, I think it's a great album.

Maybe the band is bitter that IWY didn’t end up being as commercially successful as they would’ve hoped?

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere once that it’s Anthony who decides the setlist lol.

Bastard!

On the subject of Anthony... I hope he learns the lyrics for the new tour... I don't mind a singer forgetting a word here or there every now and then, but he hardly goes through a song these days without fucking up the lyrics, and he even has the lyric sheets in front of him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Bastard!

On the subject of Anthony... I hope he learns the lyrics for the new tour... I don't mind a singer forgetting a word here or there every now and then, but he hardly goes through a song these days without fucking up the lyrics, and he even has the lyric sheets in front of him!

For a singer who can't really even sing, that's pretty pisspoor.

RHCP is playing shitton non singles at every show. They aren't on Pearl Jam and Burce's level just because they're playing for 1h45m (cause Anthony I guess)

They played around 70 songs at least twice during the last world tour and many more only once, also Josh's covers were different at each show

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 8:24 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Posted this on the RHCP reddit today and wanted to add it here too:

Read the new Josh interview for Rolling Stone that just dropped. Josh seems nice and I feel sorry for him. That being said, it sounds to me like this split was eventually gonna happen one way or another. He makes it pretty clear here that he was unhappy with the production environment both times, the second time of which was with a friend of his as the producer, for that matter. Furthermore, he confirmed here that all the stuff he was writing with them recently would now be scrapped in wake of his firing. I don’t feel like that would be the case unless something with their writing dynamic went seriously south this time around. I get the feeling that the rest of the band wasn’t all that happy with whatever was being written recently, or else they wouldn’t have asked John to come back (then again, maybe it was John who first asked if he could come back, or at least heavily hint to them that that’s what he wanted). The biggest thing that sticks out to me tho is Josh saying he wanted the next record to sound like Uplift Mofo. As cool as that may seem, you gotta remember that the rest of the band are all in their late 50s now. I seriously doubt that that’s the sound they have in mind, at this stage in their lives. Maybe I’m just making excuses to make myself feel better about the way Josh was axed, but I’m starting to get the feeling that there’s more to the story than Josh’s side of it.

This is very interesting to hear, but I don't think Josh is capable of something truly like Uplift Mofo. It's certainly not a matter of technical ability, just so different stylistically.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicklord said:

RHCP is playing shitton non singles at every show. They aren't on Pearl Jam and Burce's level just because they're playing for 1h45m (cause Anthony I guess)

They played around 70 songs at least twice during the last world tour and many more only once, also Josh's covers were different at each show

I'd say on an average setlist 3/4 is hit singles.

I didn't listen to RHCP's two albums with Josh, I was even given "I'm with You" upon it's release as a Christmas present, but it's still in it's shrink wrap.

What I did check out was their performances of 'Dosed', which is one of my favourites, and Josh's vocals on the high bits were superb. I listened to his interview with Marc Maron last night and he comes across as a really cool fella. 

11 hours ago, Dean said:

I didn't listen to RHCP's two albums with Josh, I was even given "I'm with You" upon it's release as a Christmas present, but it's still in it's shrink wrap.

What I did check out was their performances of 'Dosed', which is one of my favourites, and Josh's vocals on the high bits were superb. I listened to his interview with Marc Maron last night and he comes across as a really cool fella. 

You’ve had an album for over 8 years and still haven’t unwrapped it? May I ask why exactly?

29 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

You’ve had an album for over 8 years and still haven’t unwrapped it? May I ask why exactly?

I think I was hesitant on checking out their new stuff with a new guitarist and at that stage of my life, I really wasn't listening to much RHCP in general. So it got shelved and I just never got round to playing it.  I also only play vinyl and it was a CD I was given - couldn't tell you when I last played one of them either! :lol:

Is there anything of note from those past two records that you can see them busting out on a tour with Frusciante?

47 minutes ago, Dean said:

I think I was hesitant on checking out their new stuff with a new guitarist and at that stage of my life, I really wasn't listening to much RHCP in general. So it got shelved and I just never got round to playing it.  I also only play vinyl and it was a CD I was given - couldn't tell you when I last played one of them either! :lol:

Is there anything of note from those past two records that you can see them busting out on a tour with Frusciante?

Ah ok. Makes sense!

The I’m With You album has always sounded a bit bland to my ears. Some songs like Raindance Maggie, Look Around, Factory of Faith, and Ethiopia could work with Frusciante, I suppose, but none of it is really all that essential imo. Besides, I’m pretty sure Raindance Maggie was the only one of those songs that they continued to play live regularly after that album cycle had ended.

The Getaway album, on the other hand, was a lot more creative and fun (imo, at least). I think finally cutting ties with Rick Rubin as the producer was the right move. Rubin used to be great, and was essential in helping the band finally find their “true” sound with the Blood Sugar album all those years ago, but he’s way passed his prime now imo. I like almost every song on The Getaway. Some of the tunes are a little stale still, but Ticonderoga is the only song that I found to be genuinely bad.

As far as songs to play still now with Frusciante go, though; I’d say the only essential one is Dark Necessities, but Goodbye Angels would also be nice... Maaayyybe also Go Robot... Maybe...

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

During The Getaway tour they actually mixed it up with Maggie, Look Around, Factory Of Faith, Did I Let You Know and Ethiopia.

I like I'm With You. Flea had gone to music school during their hiatus and learned to play piano and I like the different approach on many of the songs and them trying something more subtle. And Josh has a unique voice and sings a lot on that record... it's nice to finally hear a RHCP record with a good singer... haha.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, Towelie said:

Some rock bands age better than others. RHCP look kinda tragic these days.

I think they look pretty good for their age. They still sound like themselves which is cool. I've listened today to the 3 albums with Josh. I think my favorite out of those is I'm Beside You. It contains 2 brilliant songs, 1 is Josh's favorite with them I've read (Never Is A Long Time) and the other is Pink As Floyd.

I wish they gave Josh more creative control. He's a well rounded musician that could have maybe even transformed their sound if given a lot of musical freedom so also like a producer/engineer role. They have done this with John. But the band tried to push themselves with every release since 2009. There's even a tune on I'm Beside You with a great rhythmic riff that Josh came up with.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think they look pretty good for their age. They still sound like themselves which is cool. I've listened today to the 3 albums with Josh. I think my favorite out of those is I'm Beside You. It contains 2 brilliant songs, 1 is Josh's favorite with them I've read (Never Is A Long Time) and the other is Pink As Floyd.

I wish they gave Josh more creative control. He's a well rounded musician that could have maybe even transformed their sound if given a lot of musical freedom so also like a producer/engineer role. They have done this with John. But the band tried to push themselves with every release since 2009. There's even a tune on I'm Beside You with a great rhythmic riff that Josh came up with.

I associate Josh's style with wide, airy noises. Long ethereal high pitched vocals, spacey guitar noises. He really has his own sound which I think is a much more reserved and floaty sound than is expected from the hard hitting in your face funkrock that is RHCP. Josh as able to bring them that direction on some of those B sides you mentioned, and they are good songs, but it doesn't feel like "them" to me and I don't think they could make an album like that.

1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

I associate Josh's style with wide, airy noises. Long ethereal high pitched vocals, spacey guitar noises. He really has his own sound which I think is a much more reserved and floaty sound than is expected from the hard hitting in your face funkrock that is RHCP. Josh as able to bring them that direction on some of those B sides you mentioned, and they are good songs, but it doesn't feel like "them" to me and I don't think they could make an album like that.

Josh wanted them to make an album in the style of The Uplift Mofo Party Plan. Not that I think they would ever go with that direction again. It's been a while since they've done a full on funk rock type album. I think Josh's time with the band was fruitful, but none of the 3 albums really took advantage of what Josh was capable of contributing.

it's so much about Flea's and John's musical interaction that I'm sure that's easier to rely on and that's my favorite line up but they were in good hands and it worked, it was just different and also John's talent must bring with it a lot of advantages for the band and his name maybe will sell more tickets as well.

Edited by Rovim

Does anyone figure that the band saw it as good timing for Josh because Josh has a solo album ready to go? Like, they took his career into consideration and thought 'now that he's done his album, its a better time to part ways.' ??

I saw this clip and it got me wondering. Also with the PJ opening gig - which is huge. Do RHCP have any official professional ties with PJ? I ask because theres the Jack Irons connection at least.

Just seems like things all really lined up for Josh. He could become a star in his own right. Maybe thats all just how things fell, or maybe people made sure he was set up for success after they let him go?

41 minutes ago, soon said:

Does anyone figure that the band saw it as good timing for Josh because Josh has a solo album ready to go? Like, they took his career into consideration and thought 'now that he's done his album, its a better time to part ways.' ??

I saw this clip and it got me wondering. Also with the PJ opening gig - which is huge. Do RHCP have any official professional ties with PJ? I ask because theres the Jack Irons connection at least.

Just seems like things all really lined up for Josh. He could become a star in his own right. Maybe thats all just how things fell, or maybe people made sure he was set up for success after they let him go?

They toured together in 1991 (including Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins) and became friends. I believe Eddie was even a roadie for them before he joined Pearl Jam. Stone Gossard and Chad Smith were in a band together in the 90's and they opened up for Gilby Clarke! And of course Jack Irons played in both bands.

I believe  Josh got the gig to open up for Pearl Jam after he got fired. It could be that they thought this was the right time, with his solo album having been released not long ago, but I have a feeling that they would have fired him anyway regardless of what was happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

They toured together in 1991 (including Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins) and became friends. I believe Eddie was even a roadie for them before he joined Pearl Jam. Stone Gossard and Chad Smith were in a band together in the 90's and they opened up for Gilby Clarke! And of course Jack Irons played in both bands.

I believe  Josh got the gig to open up for Pearl Jam after he got fired. It could be that they thought this was the right time, with his solo album having been released not long ago, but I have a feeling that they would have fired him anyway regardless of what was happening.

Very cool! Thanks for info. Their one and only show of 'jazz odyssey' was opening for Gilby Clarke! lol

Im glad that things shaped up so well for Josh post-RHCP!

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right thread to discuss this, but what do you guys think Joaquin Phoenix’s opinion of RHCP is? They were really good friends with his late brother River (there’s a lyric in the song Give It Away that mentions him by name), and Flea and John were there the night he died, along with Joaquin. The drugs that killed him may have even been provided by John, who ran away from the scene early (depicted in the music video for the REM song Strange Currencies, apparently). Some accounts even say that River went to someone (probably John) for drugs after Flea told him that he couldn’t jam with him that night (Flea did end up riding in the ambulance with River to the hospital, tho).

Joaquin has obviously been in the news a lot recently, since he just won a whole bunch of awards for Joker, and it reminded me of River’s connection to RHCP, so now I find myself wondering how Joaquin sees the band. Hence my asking.

Edited by rocknroll41

He was seen with AK quite a few times over the years. Flea is still really good friends with their sisters. Had a podcast recently with Rain and Summer even. I don't think he thinks anything about that, their whole world was full of artsy junkies back then. I just read Flea's Momoir and the amount of time he had sentences with: "...he was a junkie, god bless his soul..." is astonishingly high 

Резултат слика за joaquin phoenix anthony kiedis

Резултат слика за joaquin phoenix anthony kiedis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1