Matt Sorum's Autobiography

28 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Or maybe Duff caught wind of what was going in the book and some 11h hour fence mending took place? Pure speculation of course.

Matt seems to present this story as an example of how he advocated for Duff to get him in Vampires but got left on the bench for NITL.

Dude, you’re basically a session drummer for yet another all star cover band who have no hits and no current cultural relevance. Yet somehow, that band is getting a performance slot at the Grammys. Matt only sees all the ways his star power is getting slighted here, just like the HOF.

3 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

I think he’s just desperate to hang on to the fame and clout he had as the drummer for GNR circa 91-92. He realizes these moments in the spotlight are getting fewer and won’t accept some background role.

Thanks for sharing! That Grammy performance was my favorite Grammy/TV awards moment ever just because of Duff and Matt being involved. I disagree about him just being a session drummer though, he's not just any old drummer (like Glen Sobel who replaced him when he left). Especially him and Duff being in the band together, that's kind of a big deal. That's the main reason I was interested in them when they were releasing the first album and doing those shows. Btw I think it was because of Dave that they got that Grammys slot because Dave wanted there to be some tribute to Lemmy so he pushed for that.

I am impressed by Matt taking the initiative to ask for the drum spot in Hollywood Vampires. I was wondering if Alice had asked him or if Matt had asked to do it, now we know the answer. It's unfortunate that there was already conflict with Duff there though.

I hope that when the book comes out that it's not been changed. We'll see I guess.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Matt seems to be very insecure about himself and constantly needs recognition

Yeah he strikes me as the type that feels the need to “lean” on other people for emotional reassurance, rather than just trying to stand on his own two feet. Can’t say I blame him too much, tho. We’ve all been “that guy” at least once in our lives.

29 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Speaking of Gene! He appears in the book pulling some power move shit. I’ll type out that story when I have more time.

Nice! Looking forward to it!

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Of course it will generate a few more sales. They will market it as the genuine ''reunion''. That is their last card really. They'll milk this NITL half-arsed reunion for all it is worth then play that final card of getting Izzy and Adler back - maybe Matt and Gilby also, in some guest performance guise. That will give them another two years of milking.

The last card is actually new music but we all know that ain’t happening 😉

1 hour ago, EricA said:

The more i read these tiny tidbits, the more i get the feeling that matt is somehow annoyed very fast over random actions from others. It seems he's much more assuming/guessing about everything, than telling facts.

Just like 90% of this forum then, lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/04/2020 at 1:20 AM, shotsfired cro said:

OK, my 2 cents on everything, I will repeat mine beacuse people tend to always take sides of some member last 20 years as if it were their family member.

Izzy and Axl grew up in Indiana. The way Iz left and the way everyone always left and spoke of Axl (once they were financialy independant of him), was always pretty much same - complicated motherfucker who obviously has issues.

Once Iz was out, Ax really spared no time talking shit about him and dedicating DTJ to him.  (speaking of Matt, Axl spoke very fondly of Matt in the interviews while Sorum was in the band).

Gilby can't play, Iz comes back to have his commitments to him finally paid out, maybe also to test water for future colaboration but seeing 'the drugged zombies', 'counted days till Gilby comes back'.  Iz leaves, Ax dedicates DTJ at him from the next day on.

Ax goes nuts, thinks he is bigger than universe and decides to ditch Slash and Duff.

We get Neurotic outsiders, 2 great Snakepit albums, few failed Duff projects and a couple ok Gilby and Iz works.

Seeing Slash, with most post GNR success doesn't get past clubs, they decide to make GNR 2 minus Axl.

Iz spooked from Ax tyrany backs out once they want another frontman and Scott enters, although with no great enthusiasm as musically this band is far from STP style, yet Scott must pay his bills but decides to be in until he eventually gets back with DeLeo's.

In a moment of devestation, and probably Perla's pursuasion, Slash gives in, goes to Axl and tells Beta what he honestly thought. Duff spineless and etc.

In 2006, I go and see a concert in a very small club of one former member.

The former member clearly says 'we were are approached recently to rejoin the band. Currently in are Matt, Slash, Dizzy...,basically everyone but not Duff.'. Also says 'the first gig will be in NYC this fall'.

Several weeks later, I mention that on one forum and Jarmo goes mad.  Threatens with bans, says there is no way this person would ever say this, calls it fake rumours...  A day later to more people confirm they were at the same gig and heard the same things from this member...

2008 Scott fixed his relationship with STP and probably feels sick and tired putting up wth VR over no drugs policy when he can get a lot more money with STP.

VR disolve.  Slash is sick and tired of all and goes solo.  Duff is trying but his projects go from bad to worse. Duff plays gigs for 10k max.

Meanwhile around the globe, London excluded, Axl's solo project goes to shit averaging 2500-3000 tix in empty Arenas.

They ALL but Slash NEED money.  Axl plays some gigs for 200k or less. Conspiritors is a relativly cheap project where only Slash and Myles have decent careers and even here Myles has a lot lower contract than in Alterbridge, his primary project.

Duff somehow decides to sneak in Axl's room, even if that means travelling all the way to Londonand makes up this ridiculous story about it all being an accident.

They figure the only way to fame and $$$$ is Slash and Duff is the perfect mediator between the 2.

Slash is not stupid and stadiums are always more tempting than clubs or festivals around noon time.  Money will be x Million, why not.

Axl fires his whole band and works with Slash and Duff on the new band.  Slash sees Axl can't sing shit and demands more %.

Duff figures w/o Slash he is back to Loaded and will give Slash any % Slash demands.

What do we do with Iz?  Iz says equal share. Ax says 'don't touch my share', Duff thinks 'my is lowest anyway.  Fuck Iz.

Iz thinks 'either way they play the setlist, I had big influence on all of Afd-UYI material, equal share or nothing'.

Iz leaves, Steve would play for bits but Ax/Duff don't want him, Ax (unlike some here thought), didn't have issues with Matt so TB texted Matt but the offer was probably way below Matt's likeing...(not speaking about the part where Steve/Matt/Gilby got invited to participate as guests...

Axl thinking, you never know, if Slash turns out to be the biggest deal publicly with Matt/Duff/Iz or Gilby he may take over the band + I flopped with CD anyway publicly.

Axl takes a phone 'Frank and Rich could you come back for a few $k a month'?  Thinking, Frank is shit but anyone else is more $.

Fortus and Frank comeback.  Poster Moneypenny or whatever says 'Neither Slash nor Duff are too thrilled about F n F duo. One of them is hated by both, the other one is tolerated by one of the 2'.

NITL tour proceeds.  End of 2016 I see an legend, very big friend of both Slash and Duff, who just played as opener last week for them in SA, his words 'Man that sounds bad through and through. The worst part - they are aware. Ax/Slash/Duff have seperate backstage each.  None of them talks to the rest of the band. I had to talk seperately to Duff and Slash, beacuse they barely talk...Its not a band man.  I asked Duff why are you doing this to yourself and he replies - my contract says so'.

Conclusion - of course it is all about money, all the bands from foundation on hope to play for money.  The problem occures when it becomes only about the money. When there ain't no soul - there is no creativity.  This band as it is, suits them all perfectly.  Otherwise Axl would be retired sitting at home watching tv, Duff playing 500 cap clubs, Slash playing 3000-5000cap clubs or afternoon festival slots, Dizzy...hard to imagine what he would do...Dead Daises with Fortus or something.

There is no logic in this band nor was there ever one.  Now there is just financial thrive, no soul and unlike the 80/90's no greater quality Slash excluded.

When I just think how many decades I repeated taht GNR 87-93 was the greatest band ever.  Collected bootlegs 86-93, posters, books basically any memorabilia with GNR moniker, now I passed every chance possible to see ths revolving door nostalgia act 2016 on, watching pro shots of 2016-2020 thinking what a sad, sad circus this has become and how itching it is to watch what Axl is doing to himself and GNR moniker with this horribly irritating Mickey Mouse voice. I can't watch more than 2 min of a song hopeing the next one will be better but it just gets worse and worse.

Sad.  This band had it all and has ruined it all for themseves, the fans, the reputation...For all but their bank accounts. If that is what makes them happy - good for them.

Am I reading that right - Duff and Slash barely talk? Or the pair of them barely talk to Axl - because of a contract stipulation????

3 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well there's photos of them hanging with Axl, and that time that Meegan was doing a live stream and Axl walked in to talk to Slash, so it's not true that they hardly talk. Not sure what the contract would say though.

That’s what i was thinking - I really don’t think it’s as bad as ‘contracts stipulating who can talk to who’.

• Like 1

Duff  and Slash wrote their books and they had every right to tell their stories and GnR, VR band stuuf were really small parts of their  lives  and stories.   Matt has everyvright to tell his. There should be no changes  for slandar because trurh is not slanderous. Yes, Matts book was coming  weeks right that  awards benefit.  It will be interesting to see if there will changes.  There should not be. Good for Matt. He has every right to get all his money he can.  Same as GnR big 3 selling laundry bags, toy  trucks and the same show for 4 years and was going to this year.  People bought it . ALL of it several times over .  Good for Susan too. GnR fans bought her books making  her a NYTimes Best Seller. I am not a fan favorite kind of fan of any of them.

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

Just like 90% of this forum then, lol 

It has to be a part of living in a GNR world ;)

I mean look at its foundation...its being, its history...even no interviews or once there are - turns out to be worth shit.  how much deleyed were the illussions, how many concerts ended up unfinished...

10 hours ago, Rovim said:

I mean I get that it sounds good on paper and that it's been a long time since all 5 shared the same stage, but if it was that much more lucrative, I think Axl would have made Izzy a better offer and would have really included Steven too.

Nope, not yet.

If he can do the trick twice, why spend it all at once?

Once the trick is done - its done.

How much money less would there be under Axl's bed if he had to equaly share with Iz and Slash and Duff?

This way he gets lion share that he splits with Slash and Duff for already 5 years, once that trick runs out - another 3 -5 years touring same plces a repackaged tour, with half % less but still $$$$ rolling in millions and sold out stadiums.

Axl and LN are no fan boys.  Ax may not be the smartest but he knows the math once LN rings on his door bell.

That is how 95% of this industry is run.   Fans are on forums typing about setlists, memorabilia etc...

There is no emotion - pure intelligence

Edited by shotsfired cro

off the record...

One of the first transcripts from the book was about Matt being dick to Steve at HOF.

Honestly, I always thought that line was a shit on the band and what a bunch of hypocretes they are ie. everyone takes drugs but Adler gets a foot up his bum.

And yes, I heard many times in the past 'imagine Adler got kicked out of Guns for - drugs!? How crazy is that?'.

Another side note, I read ppl asked if Slash and Matt still talk...

According to Slash - yes.

There was an interview few years back where they asked Slash specifically about past members and current members.

When they mentioned Frank, he replied in one sentence 'he's been there for a long time'.  I mean THAT speaks volumes.

They asked him also about Matt and Iz.

For Matt 'Yeah, we see each other. He is not involved with this tour so we don't talk much about that subject'.

Don't take me word for word but smw along those lines.  It was one of the first interviews he gave, summer 2017 I believe.

• Like 2

Matt probably missed out on a lot of cash since his gnr days. Does anyone know if he gets ongoing royalties from UYI and TSI or even VR. Did he just get a one off payment as he’s not a writer? I’d imagine he’s blown through his cash from touring since the 90s and doesn’t have any substantial income, I can’t imagine Hollywood vampires paying much and he’d be dirty about missing out on the reunion.

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

off the record...

One of the first transcripts from the book was about Matt being dick to Steve at HOF.

Honestly, I always thought that line was a shit on the band and what a bunch of hypocretes they are ie. everyone takes drugs but Adler gets a foot up his bum.

That’s a different take on that comment than I’d considered. The stories in this book support that take as well. Unfortunately, the comment could have been interpreted in many different ways with the manner it was said. I’m no Adler fanboy but I felt bad for him in that moment. He was so happy to be in this club and I cringed to see the air getting taken out of that.

Edited by LunsJail
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Does anybody else get the feeling that Matt felt like he was "owed" participation on the reunion because he "saved" the band in the 90s?

Nah, i think he feels the illusion lineup is probably the most remembered. He may have thought him,slash and duff were a gang of 3 during that phase and thought in the fans eyes that he played on the illusion albums he would be well known as axl, slash, duff in the eyes of fans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

off the record...

And yes, I heard many times in the past 'imagine Adler got kicked out of Guns for - drugs!? How crazy is that?'.

Another side note, I read ppl asked if Slash and Matt still talk...

According to Slash - yes.

There was an interview few years back where they asked Slash specifically about past members and current members.

When they mentioned Frank, he replied in one sentence 'he's been there for a long time'.  I mean THAT speaks volumes.

They asked him also about Matt and Iz.

For Matt 'Yeah, we see each other. He is not involved with this tour so we don't talk much about that subject'.

Don't take me word for word but smw along those lines.  It was one of the first interviews he gave, summer 2017 I believe.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/slash-speaks-inside-the-guns-n-roses-reunion-and-his-new-album-710144/

29 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Does anybody else get the feeling that Matt felt like he was "owed" participation on the reunion because he "saved" the band in the 90s?

Possibly

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Matt finds out that Alice Cooper is starting a project called Hollywood Vampires with Johnny Depp and Joe Perry. Matt calls Alice’s manager to ask for the drummer job which he immediately agrees to. Matt then pulls Duff into the project as well.

- Matt some issues with how things went down at the Grammys they performed at in 2016. He finds out they aren’t all walking the red carpet together, only Alice, Joe, and Johnny are together. Duff tells him he’s walking separately with his wife as well. Matt seems irritated at this, I guess because he assumed later that Duff didn’t want them photographed together.

- Dave Grohl is introducing their performance. Matt somehow catches wind that the script doesn’t call for him and Duff to be called out by name. Matt says something to Dave who replies “I got you”. The band is then introduced as “featuring Matt Sorum and Duff Mckagan”.

LOL Matt’s a real piece of work. Reminds me of Arlette’s story about Matt demanding more screen time on the music videos VR cut.

thanks for all the synapses btw Luns!

Edited by Top-Hatted One

11 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Yes

- Matt finds out that Alice Cooper is starting a project called Hollywood Vampires with Johnny Depp and Joe Perry. Matt calls Alice’s manager to ask for the drummer job which he immediately agrees to. Matt then pulls Duff into the project as well.

- Matt some issues with how things went down at the Grammys they performed at in 2016. He finds out they aren’t all walking the red carpet together, only Alice, Joe, and Johnny are together. Duff tells him he’s walking separately with his wife as well. Matt seems irritated at this, I guess because he assumed later that Duff didn’t want them photographed together.

- Dave Grohl is introducing their performance. Matt somehow catches wind that the script doesn’t call for him and Duff to be called out by name. Matt says something to Dave who replies “I got you”. The band is then introduced as “featuring Matt Sorum and Duff Mckagan”.

- Duff is nowhere to be found backstage after the performance. Depp tells Matt that Duff has quit the band and left the venue. Matt is later told by someone’s manager that Duff quit to go back to his other band (GNR).

That was cool of Dave Grohl to do that on the fly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, allwaystired said:

...then it will be "for the last time ever". 

Throw out the notion to people that they may not be able to see something again, and they'll run at you, wallets flapping, shouting "I need to tick that box". 

lol

”The we got Tracy & Roberta here to help you FOR THE LAST TIME EVER Tour”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Nah, i think he feels the illusion lineup is probably the most remembered. He may have thought him,slash and duff were a gang of 3 during that phase and thought in the fans eyes that he played on the illusion albums he would be well known as axl, slash, duff in the eyes of fans.

Yeah, I can see many reasons why Matt felt buthurt.

- YCBM is one of the all time GNR outstanding songs.  YCBM would not have been the way it was if it weren't for Matt's drumming.

UYI I and II have Matt's sig all over.  Coma, Back off, Don't damn me, Locomotive, Double talking, Get in the ring, Breakdown, Dead Horse...

- all your buddies that you played many years with in several bands go back to the band that friendship started and leave you out without telling you in the first place.

- you see that band having Frank and him playing your parts, what else would you think than expecting a call in less than 5 minutes!? Especially if your 2 buddies for years leave an impression it is all coming together again.

- Afd was a breakthrough, but UYI's were the peak of GNR career, Matt was there that whole era.

So yeah, I can see him being dissapointed in many ways.  Honestly, I think once they heard Slash and Duff are negotiating, deep down inside Izzy, Adler and probably Gilby thought 'sure they will not leave me hanging'.

I mean, if I was any of those guys, I would probably think of the 3 'what a retarded cheap bunch of hypocrete assholes'.

Remember, Duff was in the studio recording and releasing new Izzy songs during the time this whole negotiating process took place!  Basically, having a lot more contact with Iz than anyone else, only to reach 'fuck Iz' and not wish him a Happy Birthday (as if Iz was Frank, Fortus, Mel or any of those guys he doesn't wish HB to.  ...and we all know HB wishes have hidden meaning in GNR world... ;)   Yet, he still doesn't have problem and earning millions from the songs Iz contributed, night after night after night for the past 5 years.

Honestly, it took fuckin Corona to finally stop NITL tour.

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Like 4