Matt Sorum's Autobiography

11 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Ok, I never figured out the spoiler thing (typing this on a phone) so proceed with caution. Here goes on NITL:

- Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampires. The crowd is chanting “GNR” at Matt and Duff. Matt overhears someone (doesn’t say who, not Duff) mention that GNR is reforming and coming back to play SA the next year. Matt, knowing nothing about this, gets a sick feeling that this means he won’t be involved.

- Sometime later, Matt confronts Duff about the rumor. Duff says “there have been talks” but nothing is set. Matt asks Duff to keep him in the loop with what’s going on. Matt ends up finding out about Coachella and the NITL tour when it’s announced publicly, same as the rest of the world.

- Matt and Duff meet for lunch sometime during rehearsals for the tour. Matt is upset that Duff didn’t keep him informed as he asked. Duff says Axl wants to use his own drummer but Duff is frustrated because the guy can’t play drums. Matt tells Duff he needs to go back and demand that Matt replace Frank for the tour.

- Sometime before the tour starts, Matt gets the text from Fernando that I mentioned earlier asking him to make some appearances. Matt replies, copying his own manager, that he would be interested. Fernando and Matt’s manager apparently speak and he comes back with the offer, travel expenses covered but no additional pay. Matt asks his manager to politely decline.

- Duff and Matt meet for an awkward lunch sometime after the 1st leg of NITL. Duff asks Matt why he didn’t participate. Matt is miffed that Duff didn’t reach out directly and had management do it. Duff says there would have been money involved had he participated. Matt says that a positive thing from this is that he and Izzy have reconnected. Duff seems agitated at this and says “fuck Izzy.” Matt replies “well, Izzy says fuck you too.” Duff picks at his food and then says he has to leave for rehearsal. Matt asks why they’re rehearsing between legs. Duff says “because you’re not the drummer.” A fan asks for a picture with them on the way out of the restaurant but Duff declines. Matt thinks that Duff doesn’t want Axl to see them photographed together. They have an awkward hug outside and then part ways. Matt talks about this being the end of their personal and professional relationship. This is towards the end of the book. It seems that this was Matt’s last contact with Duff.

Thanks!

Does he say anything about his current relationship with Slash and in regards to NITL? Arlette Vereecke (who is still very close to Slash and talks with his permission) implied that their relationship is not very good and that Matt's non involvement in NITL has to do with problems that had occurred in the VR era.

He doesn’t say specifically about his current relationship with Slash but I don’t think there is one.

There is a theme in the book that many of Matt’s band projects don’t end on a good note and you start to get the feeling like it’s his own fault. I really got the feeling from the book (and I guess Matt does too) that Slash doesn’t want to work with him anymore.

I’ll share a Hollywood Vampires story here shortly.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Ok, I never figured out the spoiler thing (typing this on a phone) so proceed with caution. Here goes on NITL:

- Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampires. The crowd is chanting “GNR” at Matt and Duff. Matt overhears someone (doesn’t say who, not Duff) mention that GNR is reforming and coming back to play SA the next year. Matt, knowing nothing about this, gets a sick feeling that this means he won’t be involved.

- Sometime later, Matt confronts Duff about the rumor. Duff says “there have been talks” but nothing is set. Matt asks Duff to keep him in the loop with what’s going on. Matt ends up finding out about Coachella and the NITL tour when it’s announced publicly, same as the rest of the world.

- Matt and Duff meet for lunch sometime during rehearsals for the tour. Matt is upset that Duff didn’t keep him informed as he asked. Duff says Axl wants to use his own drummer but Duff is frustrated because the guy can’t play drums. Matt tells Duff he needs to go back and demand that Matt replace Frank for the tour.

- Sometime before the tour starts, Matt gets the text from Fernando that I mentioned earlier asking him to make some appearances. Matt replies, copying his own manager, that he would be interested. Fernando and Matt’s manager apparently speak and he comes back with the offer, travel expenses covered but no additional pay. Matt asks his manager to politely decline.

- Duff and Matt meet for an awkward lunch sometime after the 1st leg of NITL. Duff asks Matt why he didn’t participate. Matt is miffed that Duff didn’t reach out directly and had management do it. Duff says there would have been money involved had he participated. Matt says that a positive thing from this is that he and Izzy have reconnected. Duff seems agitated at this and says “fuck Izzy.” Matt replies “well, Izzy says fuck you too.” Duff picks at his food and then says he has to leave for rehearsal. Matt asks why they’re rehearsing between legs. Duff says “because you’re not the drummer.” A fan asks for a picture with them on the way out of the restaurant but Duff declines. Matt thinks that Duff doesn’t want Axl to see them photographed together. They have an awkward hug outside and then part ways. Matt talks about this being the end of their personal and professional relationship. This is towards the end of the book. It seems that this was Matt’s last contact with Duff.

Thank you.

Well, my 2 cents: I know people have been talking about Frank for years now, and I'm no drummer, but he's been touring with GNR since 2006. Why would he need more rehearsals than a professional drummer? Just to practice? 

It really sounds like Matt wanted to make it like the band is lacking and he would be only one to fit the shoes. 

• Like 3

That’s sad. If this account is 100% true and Duff said “because you’re not the drummer”, then Duff was showing him ultimate respect. Matt shouldn’t let this shit bother him. Matt’s know for this to work, that A.) nobody could be keep in any loop. B.) Axl was not going to let Matt back in. To much VR energy. Axl, probably for his own sanity wanted his guys at those positions.  And if Duff said “fuck Izzy”, then I’m certain Izzy deserved it. Thank you for this tid bit.

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

thanks a ton for the info.  I'm really looking forward to reading the book now.

guess we wont be seeing Izzy with GNR ever again   

and I think that for someone that has had a ton of problems with his bands ending should look in the mirror....   if it's happened that many times then hes probably got a lot to do with it.  I figured he and Slash dont talk anymore seeing that Matt (and Axl) was pretty much the only GNR member that could have been on Slashs solo album back in 2010 and wasnt (hell, even IZZY is on jt)!  

I figured the issue was with Matt and Axl but I guess not.  

and I guess Duff agrees with most of this board that Frank isnt that good.  goes to show how much pull Duff and Slash have in that band these days. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Thank you.

Well, my 2 cents: I know people have been talking about Frank for years now, and I'm no drummer, but he's been touring with GNR since 2006. Why would he need more rehearsals than a professional drummer? Just to practice? 

It really sounds like Matt wanted to make it like the band is lacking and he would be only one to fit the shoes. 

I guess mainly its about feel.

I think when matt, duff and slash play it has that same gnr feeling and energy  from the early days/VR era and maybe thats what they miss and they dont feel that with frank. Im sure theres a reason why duff and slash dont get a certain feeling when playing with frank that as fans we probably wont understand unless slash and or duff will ever say publically.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, registra said:

Just in a general sense as opposed to specificly about Matt's book, are Axl and Izzy reasonably friendly at this point? Considering he's played a few shows over the years and bailed on he Hall of Fame once Axl did?

Nobody knows where their relationship is at now and when was the last time they talked to each other. But I think Axl and Izzy have always had - and will always have - a special bond because they go way back together, even when they don't talk to each other for years or talk shit about each other.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LunsJail said:

Yes, he ran into Gilby at the airport who said they were performing. Izzy has declined to participate after Axl did. Then Slash and his wife show up at the airport. Slash says they are playing with Steven since it’s only Appetite songs and that Myles doesn’t know the UYI stuff. The whole thing was planned without Matt. Steven is the reason he got to play at all.

He talks about his last studio sessions some. Talks about alerting Axl to Finck. Talks about the low amount of material they were coming up with overall. 

In terms of the lack of material, i wonder if this was the period where axl had writers block and slash had left at this point.

Just now, Creed said:

Its not about loyality, man. Its more about money and his fear that the clique of Matt, Duff and Slash will give veto, when it comes to differences. Frank and Fortus have absolutely nothing to say in this band. 

In fairness, I recall Duff saying that Axl is an very loyal person. Think  Axl mountain biking with him when Duff was getting sober, if I remember correctly. 

Matt sounds like a real asshole tbh.

• Like 1

I agree Matt cant tell someone to demand that he comes back.  personally I didnt like Matt's drumming in GNR as much as Stevens or what i heard from Brain and Josh.  i remember Axl saying he didnt like Matt's drumming (I think it was on one of the chats).  I'd guess his personality has something to do with it as well, as he was supposedly the only one who stuck up to Axl back in the day.  

idk.  I've heard Matt was super cool by those that have met him, but I guess hes a totally different person to work with.  honestly I thought he came across  arrogant in some of the interviews I've seen him in.  lets face it, the guy is the luckiest replacement drummer of all time.  he is good, but nothing to write home about.  he is this close to not being famous, or a professional musician at all. 

my opinion, anyway.  

• Like 1

I love the UYI lineup including his drumming but I get the feeling that his personality is why he was not asked back.  The "go demand I be the drummer to Axl" thing further proves that - yeah, I am sure that what a fragile relationship working to reunite for a multi-million dollar worldwide tour needs, are demands and ultimatums right off the bat lol

If Matt wasn't being asked back to begin with, I can see why Duff wouldn't keep him "in the loop".  Wouldn't it rub salt in Matt's wounds if Duff kept him updated with a reunion he was never going to be a part with?  I can see Duff avoiding talking about GNR to avoid that awkward situation

Edited by WhazUp

1 minute ago, Chester 524 said:

I agree Matt cant tell someone to demand that he comes back.  personally I didnt like Matt's drumming in GNR as much as Stevens or what i heard from Brain and Josh.  i remember Axl saying he didnt like Matt's drumming (I think it was on one of the chats).  I'd guess his personality has something to do with it as well, as he was supposedly the only one who stuck up to Axl back in the day.  

idk.  I've heard Matt was super cool by those that have met him, but I guess hes a totally different person to work with.  honestly I thought he came across  arrogant in some of the interviews I've seen him in.  lets face it, the guy is the luckiest replacement drummer of all time.  he is good, but nothing to write home about.  he is this close to not being famous, or a professional musician at all. 

my opinion, anyway.  

I’ll say this for Matt. Dude has a lot of friends in the music business. He must be fun to hang with however he is to work with.

• Like 2

My impression from Slash's and Duff's interviews is that they don't have the same sentiments towards Richard and towards Frank. They haven't said anything negative about Frank, of course, but their answers come off as a quick polite praise (like "Yeah, Frank's great"), whereas they sound genuinely warm about Fortus. Slash, for example, has gone to lengths saying that Richard is a rock 'n' roll guy, they have the same influences etc. This doesn't mean that they would want to work with Matt - especially Slash - but probably they didn't click with Frank so well playing wise at least in the beginning of NITL.

32 minutes ago, Creed said:

Duff and Slash are co-owners of the GnR Brand....but they have no veto rights...we all knew that the NITL tour and reunion is just a farce and Matt is just confirming it here basically. Because of business and money reasons they aint even meeting anymore, because Duff can't look into Matts eyes. Slash and Duff would love to play with Matt, but because of Axl its not happening. And Duff and Slash domt want to risk any trouble with our diva Axl.

We don't know that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

My impression from Slash's and Duff's interviews is that they don't have the same sentiments towards Richard and towards Frank. They haven't said anything negative about Frank, of course, but their answers come off as a quick polite praise (like "Yeah, Frank's great"), whereas they sound genuinely warm about Fortus. Slash, for example, has gone to lengths saying that Richard is a rock 'n' roll guy, they have the same influences etc. This doesn't mean that they would want to work with Matt - especially Slash - but probably they didn't click with Frank so well playing wise at least in the beginning of NITL.

We don't know that.

Didnt slash want richard for one of slashs projects way before the reunion was ever discussed?.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Didnt slash want richard for one of slashs projects way before the reunion was ever discussed?.

I'm not sure about this. Richard has said it, but some fans have disputed it. But regardless, Slash seems to like Richard, as is also apparent from Richard's joining SMKC onstage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LunsJail said:

Unreal. Thanks for sharing!

Depending on the veracity of these interactions and relationships, I could gossip about this stuff for days

73052e3843c80d1f7f69e1c850ea0f85.gif

1 hour ago, Creed said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. Its obvious that Slash isnt convinced of Frank as well. There were small interviews with him, where you could read between the lines that he is not satisfied with Frank. And well, everyone of us hear it, too. Frank ist probably a nice guy, but doesn't deserve his spot in a band like GnR. 

Duff and Slash are co-owners of the GnR Brand....but they have no veto rights...we all knew that the NITL tour and reunion is just a farce and Matt is just confirming it here basically. Because of business and money reasons they aint even meeting anymore, because Duff can't look into Matts eyes. Slash and Duff would love to play with Matt, but because of Axl its not happening. And Duff and Slash dont want to risk any trouble with our diva Axl.

Man, i really hate this band. Axl was a great singer, but he is a horrible frontman since 1993. He is even to coward to call Matt himself...its just ridiculous.

On the other hand: everyone who is buying tickets for this farce is co-responsible for the fact that we dont have Matt and Izzy in that band. 

Frank was cool for replacing Brain. But, you should be highly accomplished to be in GNR. However, I’m certain Axl and Slash Discussed this at length. The band were not going to audition for someone new for a multitude of reasons. And, that only leaves the past. Steven had to be shot down immediately. And I’m almost certain  Matt’s name was discussed and each party involved probably weighed the pro me and cons of his involvement. And decided they would just move forward and try to get Frank up to an acceptable level with the hole he would evolve as a player. 

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

@LunsJail thanks again. A couple more questions, if it's not much trouble:

- Does Matt go into more detail about getting back with Izzy for the FP Money song and about their conversations?

- Does he talk about personal stuff, like his ex-wife and his divorce?

- Nothing about that song at all or recent conversations with Izzy.

- There is a lot of personal stuff in the book. He talks about his current wife in depth. From what I remember, he refers to all past relationships as girlfriends though. I had to look it up to remember he was married before. So no talk about a divorce.

• Thanks 1