Matt Sorum's Autobiography

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not sure about this. Richard has said it, but some fans have disputed it. But regardless, Slash seems to like Richard, as is also apparent from Richard's joining SMKC onstage.

Im almost certain Richard alluded to Slash and Duff finding their timing with Frank, which can be interpreted many ways. Slash and Diff didn’t want Matt or Steven. So they made it work. I doubt they care that much at all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

- Nothing about that song at all or recent conversations with Izzy.

- There is a lot of personal stuff in the book. He talks about his current wife in depth. From what I remember, he refers to all past relationships as girlfriends though. I had to look it up to remember he was married before. So no talk about a divorce.

Thanks. I figured he wouldn't talk much about his ex-wife. There was some shady stuff there that he wouldn't want to bring attention to.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks. I figured he wouldn't talk much about his ex-wife. There was some shady stuff there that he wouldn't want to bring attention to.

Please elaborate! There was one particular ex he talks about that I thought might have been his wife. He uses a fake name for her though. Matt was not in any way faithful in these relationships and makes no bones about that.

22 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Im almost certain Richard alluded to Slash and Duff finding their timing with Frank, which can be interpreted many ways. Slash and Diff didn’t want Matt or Steven. So they made it work. I doubt they care that much at all.

Why would you say they didn't want Matt or Steven?

If Axl said it's a non-starter, NITL is going to reflect the business partnership that currently exists and I'm going to hire the vacant positions aka keep my guys... that just means Slash and Duff didn't think it was worth scuttling the whole prospect over. Doesn't mean they like Frank much or wouldn't prefer to choose their own guy in a best case scenario. 

Good bands aren't just plug and play individual components. I bet they cared a lot!

Not surprised Duff wasn't going to issue a Matt ultimatum, though. I mean think about how Matt got fired bitching about Paul being in the band... it'd just be a redux of that. 

Edited by Ant

@LunsJail, I know you can't elaborate on everything but a couple things I'm curious to know. Did Matt go in detail any more so than he has before on his departure from Guns/His argument with Paul Huge?

And was there any mention of him meeting up with Axl in NYC in 2006/And or his thoughts on Chinese Democracy? Any response would be much appreciated. Thanks.  :)

Edited by Estrangedfx

4 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Thank you!

Here’s one story that involves Axl. Matt has a much different take on the 92 Montreal riot than some of what we’ve heard before.

- Metallica wanted to outdo GNR with pyro and kept adding shit to their stage show throughout the tour. It got to the point where the band couldn’t keep track of it and that led to James accident. Part of the delay between sets was caused from the crew having to disassemble all of Metallica’s bombs and shit. This stage change was rushed on that particular night and Axl’s PA was fucked when they took the stage. He did to decide to leave but Matt calls a lot of Metallica’s version of these events and Guns backstage attitude about it “bullshit”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LunsJail said:

Please elaborate! There was one particular ex he talks about that I thought might have been his wife. He uses a fake name for her though. Matt was not in any way faithful in these relationships and makes no bones about that.

She had pressed charges against him four times over domestic violence, harassment and threatening her life around the time they separated and in the period afterwards.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4030-1994-05-23-upi-sorum-pleads-innocent-to-beating-wife

There is a rumour that Matt went to Axl for help when he was in legal trouble over that and Axl helped him (and maybe this is why Axl said that he was Matt's friend but Matt didn't reciprocate).

(I'm sure if Axl ever wrote a book he wouldn't talk about his own respective shady stuff either, but the accusations against Axl have been greatly publicized anyway, whereas Matt's haven't been much known)

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

6 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

@LunsJail, I know you can't elaborate on everything but a couple things I'm curious to know. Did Matt go in detail any more so than he has before on his departure from Guns/His argument with Paul Huge?

And was there any mention of him meeting up with Axl in NYC in 2006/And or his thoughts on Chinese Democracy? Any response would be much appreciated. Thanks.  :)

I already knew most of what he said about the departure/Huge day he quit. Matt did say that he was asked to stop drinking at the studio and deliberately brought beer and liquor to drink on that particular day to flaunt the rules. He also says he got in Axl’s face during their argument.

He does not mention that NY meeting or CD at all in the book.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

She had pressed charges against him four times over domestic violence, harassment and threatening her life around the time they separated and in the period afterwards.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4030-1994-05-23-upi-sorum-pleads-innocent-to-beating-wife

There is a rumour that Matt went to Axl for help when he was in legal trouble over that and Axl helped him (and maybe this is why Axl said that he was Matt's friend but Matt didn't reciprocate).

(I'm sure if Axl ever wrote a book he wouldn't talk about his own respective shady stuff either, but the accusations against Axl have been greatly publicized anyway, whereas Matt's haven't been much known)

Wow! Didn’t know this at all but not surprised. He may have an anger management issue. He talks in the book about Guns management making him go to counseling after a confrontation with Axl in 91.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:30 PM, MaskingApathy said:

So I saw it on Amazon earlier today (ebook option) but now it's gone. I can preorder it through Google Play but it won't be available until July 7. So I guess someone put it up by accident and now they've pulled it. @LunsJail got lucky.

Maybe it was leaked intentionally to get Matt unfiltered story out. Before the official heavily edited version comes out. Assuming gnr, Axl, TB and their lawyers forced Matt to omit the more controversial stuff

10 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Maybe it was leaked intentionally to get Matt unfiltered story out. Before the official heavily edited version comes out. Assuming gnr, Axl, TB and their lawyers forced Matt to omit the more controversial stuff

Nah, Matt wants to make money with this book, not fight some legal piss match.

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That’s sad. If this account is 100% true and Duff said “because you’re not the drummer”, then Duff was showing him ultimate respect. Matt shouldn’t let this shit bother him. Matt’s know for this to work, that A.) nobody could be keep in any loop. B.) Axl was not going to let Matt back in. To much VR energy. Axl, probably for his own sanity wanted his guys at those positions.  And if Duff said “fuck Izzy”, then I’m certain Izzy deserved it. Thank you for this tid bit.

This stuff is very damaging to Frank, axl & the rest of gnr. Matt found a very creative method to get his full story out by “accidently” leaking it.

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Why would you say they didn't want Matt or Steven?

If Axl said it's a non-starter, NITL is going to reflect the business partnership that currently exists and I'm going to hire the vacant positions aka keep my guys... that just means Slash and Duff didn't think it was worth scuttling the whole prospect over. Doesn't mean they like Frank much or wouldn't prefer to choose their own guy in a best case scenario. 

Good bands aren't just plug and play individual components. I bet they cared a lot!

Not surprised Duff wasn't going to issue a Matt ultimatum, though. I mean think about how Matt got fired bitching about Paul being in the band... it'd just be a redux of that. 

I always thought the discussion about whos in the band and whos not, could have been raised not long after the dinner between slash and axl. Though i think the decision of the band lineup would have been made together with the big 3 with TB representing the negotiations with matt and steven. Thats my thoughts.....

17 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

This stuff is very damaging to Frank, axl & the rest of gnr. Matt found a very creative method to get his full story out by “accidently” leaking it.

Interesting why none of the media outlets like blabbermouth havnt posted anything about any of the stories yet.

2 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Here’s one story that involves Axl. Matt has a much different take on the 92 Montreal riot than some of what we’ve heard before.

- Metallica wanted to outdo GNR with pyro and kept adding shit to their stage show throughout the tour. It got to the point where the band couldn’t keep track of it and that led to James accident. Part of the delay between sets was caused from the crew having to disassemble all of Metallica’s bombs and shit. This stage change was rushed on that particular night and Axl’s PA was fucked when they took the stage. He did to decide to leave but Matt calls a lot of Metallica’s version of these events and Guns backstage attitude about it “bullshit”.

This is more in line with the contemporary reports in the press than the description in Slash's book. Slash wrote that GnR were late that night even "for them", that they took the stage four hours after Metallica had left so even later than they were originally supposed to. According to the local press of the time, though, GnR took the stage two hours after Metallica left, so earlier than they were originally scheduled. The riot was caused mainly because Axl ended the show early and of the way he did so, without communicating the problem to the audience. Btw, Duff had called Metallica liars at the time.

In general, Axl wasn't that late during the tour with Metallica. The waiting time between Metallica's and GnR's sets was mostly because of the time it took to change the stage setup (about an hour), so GnR hit the stage around midnight. In an interview during the tour (before Montreal), James Hetfield had attributed the fact that GnR wanted their own stage to Axl's "ego". I don't understand, though, why Hetfield expected that GnR should use Metallica's stage setup. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This is more in line with the contemporary reports in the press than with the description in Slash's book. Slash wrote that GnR were late that night even "for them", that they took the stage four hours after Metallica had left so even later than they were originally supposed to. According to the local press of the time, though, GnR took the stage two hours after Metallica left, so earlier than they were originally scheduled. The riot was caused mainly because Axl ended the show early and of the way he did so, without communicating the problem to the audience. Btw, Duff had called Metallica liars at the time.

In general, Axl wasn't that late during the tour with Metallica. The waiting between Metallica's and GnR's sets was mostly because of the time it took to change the stage setup (about an hour), so GnR hit the stage around midnight. In an interview during the tour (before Montreal), James Hetfield had attributed the fact that GnR wanted their own stage to Axl's "ego". I don't understand, though, why Hetfield expected that GnR should use Metallica's stage setup. 

I dont see how gnr could use metallicas stage because if i remember metallicas stage had fans in the middle of the stage.it was called the snakepit funnily enough. The band could pluck other fans from the front if the stage into the snakepit. The snakepit  looked like a diamond....i think. The snakeput area was a way for fans to experience the band.

As part of stage changeover, either babd woukd have to have covered the snakepit area so it mustnt have been a quick change over.

33 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I thought this last night also... he can say it wasn’t his fault and get his version of the whole truth out there. 

5 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Ok, I never figured out the spoiler thing (typing this on a phone) so proceed with caution. Here goes on NITL:

- Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampires. The crowd is chanting “GNR” at Matt and Duff. Matt overhears someone (doesn’t say who, not Duff) mention that GNR is reforming and coming back to play SA the next year. Matt, knowing nothing about this, gets a sick feeling that this means he won’t be involved.

- Sometime later, Matt confronts Duff about the rumor. Duff says “there have been talks” but nothing is set. Matt asks Duff to keep him in the loop with what’s going on. Matt ends up finding out about Coachella and the NITL tour when it’s announced publicly, same as the rest of the world.

- Matt and Duff meet for lunch sometime during rehearsals for the tour. Matt is upset that Duff didn’t keep him informed as he asked. Duff says Axl wants to use his own drummer but Duff is frustrated because the guy can’t play drums. Matt tells Duff he needs to go back and demand that Matt replace Frank for the tour.

- Sometime before the tour starts, Matt gets the text from Fernando that I mentioned earlier asking him to make some appearances. Matt replies, copying his own manager, that he would be interested. Fernando and Matt’s manager apparently speak and he comes back with the offer, travel expenses covered but no additional pay. Matt asks his manager to politely decline.

- Duff and Matt meet for an awkward lunch sometime after the 1st leg of NITL. Duff asks Matt why he didn’t participate. Matt is miffed that Duff didn’t reach out directly and had management do it. Duff says there would have been money involved had he participated. Matt says that a positive thing from this is that he and Izzy have reconnected. Duff seems agitated at this and says “fuck Izzy.” Matt replies “well, Izzy says fuck you too.” Duff picks at his food and then says he has to leave for rehearsal. Matt asks why they’re rehearsing between legs. Duff says “because you’re not the drummer.” A fan asks for a picture with them on the way out of the restaurant but Duff declines. Matt thinks that Duff doesn’t want Axl to see them photographed together. They have an awkward hug outside and then part ways. Matt talks about this being the end of their personal and professional relationship. This is towards the end of the book. It seems that this was Matt’s last contact with Duff.

Damn, Now I definitely have to check this out when its available. 

Fucking Duff though, His rep was spotless before this reunion, that has been proven BS year after year since as little bits of info have continue to leak here and there. We've been reading between the lines that his and Izzy's relationship was strained after the negotiations for the reunion, and this is further proof. 

As for Sorum, He was never gonna get the gig for a variety of reasons, being on Axl's shit list, being too outspoken, Slash and Duff not wanting to work with him full time after VR. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I guess mainly its about feel.

I think when matt, duff and slash play it has that same gnr feeling and energy  from the early days/VR era and maybe thats what they miss and they dont feel that with frank. Im sure theres a reason why duff and slash dont get a certain feeling when playing with frank that as fans we probably wont understand unless slash and or duff will ever say publically.

Yeah feel and the fact that Frank doesn't play a lot of the material true to the original (which is kind of important for a "reunion tour").

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Didnt slash want richard for one of slashs projects way before the reunion was ever discussed?.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not sure about this. Richard has said it, but some fans have disputed it. But regardless, Slash seems to like Richard, as is also apparent from Richard's joining SMKC onstage.

The only place that rumor appeared was in a Facebook comment that Richard made, but I don't believe him at all. I think if it was true we would've heard more about it.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

This seems like it might be a decent read actually.

Seems that Duff threw people under a bus as a consequence of this reunion.

Certainly makes Duff look even worse than before. Punk af :facepalm: