Matt Sorum's Autobiography

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Matt found a very creative method to get his full story out by “accidently” leaking it.

Or maybe it's the opposite, and the book was delayed because Matt had second thoughts about some of the stuff he wrote and wanted to change it. If that's the case, it's too late now since Amazon screwed up and released the book by accident :lol:

6 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I thought it was the most interesting part myself if you know the history of this band.

Yeah, that sounds like the most revealing part. Now I remeber during the before-reunion speculations on this forum, when everyone was talking about the Izzy possiblity, someone posted that Izzy met with (some?) of the big 3 and had only one comment: never again. Judging by Matt's account that might have been some insider info... To me it suggests that there was more than money at the core. This "more" was hidden and covered by Axl & Duff in their interview as Izzy being flaky, and by Izzy with his tweet about money. I think both are just a way to hide the real thing. It could simply be a power struggle - who gets to control what. I get the impression that Izzy, just like Matt, has a strong character and doesn't like to be pushed around. And I like them both exactly for that. Haven't read Matt's book, but I don't really buy the criticism here. A lot of people criticise here that Axl is surrounded by yes men that never stand up to him. But then a lot of people criticise Matt (and to certain extent Izzy too) for saying no to Axl and the rest of them and being strong willed about it.

Here's the post about Izzy & reunion:

Edited by bikka

9 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Ok, I never figured out the spoiler thing (typing this on a phone) so proceed with caution. Here goes on NITL:

- Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampires. The crowd is chanting “GNR” at Matt and Duff. Matt overhears someone (doesn’t say who, not Duff) mention that GNR is reforming and coming back to play SA the next year. Matt, knowing nothing about this, gets a sick feeling that this means he won’t be involved.

- Sometime later, Matt confronts Duff about the rumor. Duff says “there have been talks” but nothing is set. Matt asks Duff to keep him in the loop with what’s going on. Matt ends up finding out about Coachella and the NITL tour when it’s announced publicly, same as the rest of the world.

- Matt and Duff meet for lunch sometime during rehearsals for the tour. Matt is upset that Duff didn’t keep him informed as he asked. Duff says Axl wants to use his own drummer but Duff is frustrated because the guy can’t play drums. Matt tells Duff he needs to go back and demand that Matt replace Frank for the tour.

- Sometime before the tour starts, Matt gets the text from Fernando that I mentioned earlier asking him to make some appearances. Matt replies, copying his own manager, that he would be interested. Fernando and Matt’s manager apparently speak and he comes back with the offer, travel expenses covered but no additional pay. Matt asks his manager to politely decline.

- Duff and Matt meet for an awkward lunch sometime after the 1st leg of NITL. Duff asks Matt why he didn’t participate. Matt is miffed that Duff didn’t reach out directly and had management do it. Duff says there would have been money involved had he participated. Matt says that a positive thing from this is that he and Izzy have reconnected. Duff seems agitated at this and says “fuck Izzy.” Matt replies “well, Izzy says fuck you too.” Duff picks at his food and then says he has to leave for rehearsal. Matt asks why they’re rehearsing between legs. Duff says “because you’re not the drummer.” A fan asks for a picture with them on the way out of the restaurant but Duff declines. Matt thinks that Duff doesn’t want Axl to see them photographed together. They have an awkward hug outside and then part ways. Matt talks about this being the end of their personal and professional relationship. This is towards the end of the book. It seems that this was Matt’s last contact with Duff.

So - he thinks Axl would have an issue with them being photographed together (nowhere near him) but Axl would be OK to have him onstage for a few songs - so literally yards away?!? Nah - not buying that.

Also - he said Duff said Frank can’t drum? I’m not buying that either. Yeah they probably had to work on getting a relationship going and most folk accept that as time has gone on hey have gelled well. Frank was absolutely fine with Stinson. Again - sounds like sour grapes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bikka said:

Here's the post about Izzy & reunion:

According to that forum member's posts, Izzy had signed for Vegas and Coachella and said that those shows would be all for him and didn't want to deal with GnR further. If this is true, the question is why Izzy didn't play at the gigs he had agreed on playing, Vegas and Coachella.

Duff said that they waited for him at rehearsals and they were texting him, but he didn't turn up.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Wow 1

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

So - he thinks Axl would have an issue with them being photographed together (nowhere near him) but Axl would be OK to have him onstage for a few songs - so literally yards away?!? Nah - not buying that.

Good point. Probably Duff just didn't want to stir up speculation about Matt joining them since that wasn't going to happen after Matt declined.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

According to that forum member's posts, Izzy had signed for Vegas and Coachella and said that those shows would be all for him and didn't want to deal with GnR further. If this is true, the question is why Izzy didn't play at the gigs he had agreed on playing, Vegas and Coachella.

Duff said that they waited for him at rehearsals and they were texting him, but he didn't turn up.

Yes, that is interesting. Maybe the dealings were bad to begin with and then got even more sour around the time of that (unconfirmed) soundcheck / rehearsal? The sure thing is, there were talks, and neither party was satisfied. At what point did Izzy pull the plug? Hard to tell.

• Like 1

RH of GnR.                                                                          Real Husbands of Gun n Roses.  They could be on Bravo channel with theiir own show.  This band has always been high drama off stage.

Edited by Amaya
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

My impression from Slash's and Duff's interviews is that they don't have the same sentiments towards Richard and towards Frank. They haven't said anything negative about Frank, of course, but their answers come off as a quick polite praise (like "Yeah, Frank's great"), whereas they sound genuinely warm about Fortus. Slash, for example, has gone to lengths saying that Richard is a rock 'n' roll guy, they have the same influences etc. This doesn't mean that they would want to work with Matt - especially Slash - but probably they didn't click with Frank so well playing wise at least in the beginning of NITL.

We don't know that.

also there was one interview where Slash was asked about Frank as a drummer, being compared to former Gn'R drummers in the question and Slash said something like "he's nothing like those drummers". Doesn't prove anything, but I kinda got the feeling maybe he meant it a negative way so kinda commented on it in general (as he often does) so it doesn't upsets anyone like Axl or Frank.

I mean, why would he say that if he was satisfied with past drummers and Frank currently? Steven in Gn'R and Matt in VR as well. Makes more sense he wasn't satisfied with Frank at the time.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

also there was one interview where Slash was asked about Frank as a drummer, being compared to former Gn'R drummers in the question and Slash said something like "he's nothing like those drummers". Doesn't prove anything, but I kinda got the feeling maybe he meant it a negative way so kinda commented on it in general (as he often does) so it doesn't upsets anyone like Axl or Frank.

I mean, why would he say that if he was satisfied with past drummers and Frank currently? Steven in Gn'R and Matt in VR as well. Makes more sense he wasn't satisfied with Frank at the time.

Yes, I think I remember that. And then, iirc, he added something like "but he's been in the band more time than me". Sounded passive-aggressive to me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We know the Frank thing is true because Frank really can't play drums. 

I really like Frank's drumming style. Like it or hate it, the man can certainly play. Powerful, yet not as robotic as Matt's. More push and pull imo. (Matt's style worked well with a lot of Gn'R and VR tunes though)

2 minutes ago, Creed said:

If this is true, Izzy probably had contact with Matt and Steven and got infos about how the 'loot' was spread. Duff and Slash got full contracts. I think he was pissed as fuck that he and the others were forced to be paid worse than Frank and Fortus. 

Steven and Matt wouldn't have more information than Izzy, and in no way Matt would get the same offer as Izzy.

Matt, as much as he doesn't like it, would never have more say or get more money than Richard and Frank, as he was never a partner.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Creed said:

Its more about money and his fear that the clique of Matt, Duff and Slash will give veto, when it comes to differences. 

Axl doesn't want a clique of Slash, Matt and Duff.

There is no "clique of Slash, Duff and Matt" though.

We all know Axl doesn't like Matt, but it's become perfectly obvious over the years that Slash and Duff don't like him either.

Slash has snubbed and ignored Matt for a long time now (HoF induction drama, his solo record, VR drama etc.) and apparently Duff is perfectly willing to throw him under the bus as well.

I think after all the tensions and shit that went down with VR, Slash and Duff decided to never work with Matt in a long-term professional capacity again.

So I'd wager a guess that Axl, Slash and Duff were all in agreement that Matt would not be part of the reunion, even though Frank sucks. Drumming/rhythm section issues can be worked on and improved, Sorum's personality can not.

(And I can't even blame them. Axl, Slash and Duff are huge wankers, but they all have some redeeming/endearing qualities. Sorum on the other hand just seems like a straight-up douchebag.)

11 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I love the UYI lineup including his drumming but I get the feeling that his personality is why he was not asked back.  The "go demand I be the drummer to Axl" thing further proves that - yeah, I am sure that what a fragile relationship working to reunite for a multi-million dollar worldwide tour needs, are demands and ultimatums right off the bat lol

10 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Slash and Duff didn’t want Matt or Steven. So they made it work. I doubt they care that much at all.

Yes to both of these. I'm sure they weren't exactly thrilled with Frank, but I guess he was the lesser of two evils and they figured they'd just work it out.

I'm also not sure I believe Duff saying "because you're not the drummer" to Matt. That sounds more like another instance of Matt making things up to seem more important than he is. Or Duff was annoyed or being sarcastic when he said that and Matt carefully omitted that part.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, default_ said:

I didnt think my dislike for SJW Duff could grew to new levels but then we got Matts book!

I dont beleive for a second  it was just a coincidence when duff was staying at the same hotel as the nuguns lineup, that duff describes in his book. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont beleive for a second  it was just a coincidence when duff was staying at the same hotel as the nuguns lineup, that duff describes in his book. 

Didn’t Duff hint in his book that he didn’t think it was a coincidence either?

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No, Duff has insisted that it was by chance. Axl, on the other hand, said he didn't know if he believed it was a coincidence.

Ok, that’s correct. I got the sense that Axl was implying that his own management at the time had set it up.

Duff's narrative that it was "chance" or "coincidence" that brought them together in London has pretty much been scratched at, it seems as if he got the scoop on Axl's location and took his chance to reconnect with Axl to get back into Guns, with or without TB's prior knowledge.

And it t seems obvious that Duff slowly jettisoned his relationship with the other members as he got back into Gn'R with Axl. Izzy and Matt would have had the most leverage at the beginning to rejoin with Duff and Slash. The fact that he didn't bring Matt into the loop in 2015, froze out Izzy, and the fact that Slash pulled a power-play at the last minute for a higher percentage of the cut is obvious that these guys went into this thing with money in mind. 

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No, Duff has insisted that it was by chance. Axl, on the other hand, said he didn't know if he believed it was a coincidence.

Perhaps Duff is the secret mastermind behind everything going on with this reunion and the band in general to some extent. Starting with the "coincidental" meeting with Axl at that hotel. I wouldn't be surprised if he set the whole thing up and even back then was angling for reconciliation that would eventually lead down the road of reunion (and $$$).

Duff used to have this reputation of being a good guy and a generally harmless fella, at worst people thought him kinda dumb (stemming from his drunken pre-pancreas explosion days).

But as time passes and the more bits of information come to light, it seems that, for better or worse, Duff is actually pretty damn cunning and manipulative, not to mention ruthless if he wants to be. And he seems highly involved when it comes to band decisions, dealing with other former members, contracts, PR etc. 

Slash (freshly divorced and needing cash) and Axl (easy to manipulate in general and probably also low on cash) likely fell perfectly in line with puppet master Duff's plans.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2