Matt Sorum's Autobiography

On 2020-04-09 at 12:48 PM, LunsJail said:

His attitude towards Slash and Duff is incredible. He really isn’t positive about them at all throughout the book. He acts as if they’ve left him hanging. I never came to an understanding of what he thinks he’s owed by these guys.

There is some behind the scenes dirty laundry on the NITL lineup. He’s airing some shit that probably should have remained confidential.

They didn’t owe him anything, I mean they didn’t even have to use it for VR.  I’m sorry, but Matt has always sounded very unlike able to me, big ego for little reason.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, soon said:

Duffs always seemed like a dick to me. :shrugs: I know he had that "nice guy" rocker label. Grohl has that same label, and I call bullshit on them both. They're both 'operators' with alligator smiles.

Think Duff has principles? He was part of the anti-establishment, Seattle punk scene. Then he ditched that to join a major label hair band. Punk AF!! 

His peers in the Seattle scene, in Pearl Jam, fought against Ticket Master and postponed their tour to be the best they could be to their fans. Duff on the other hand licks Live Nations butt hole and played in Mexico City after everyone knew better and had postponed their tours.

Seems like Duff sold out decades ago and this is just more of the same slimy shit.

Cant wait to read Matts book! :headbang:

Duff is probably the coolest and most real motherfucker  you’d ever meet in your life next to Joe Perry. 

• Like 3

If Slash and Duff had a problem with Frank they would have told Axl and something would have happened plain and simple. They are fine with him . Matt's just bitter.  I do not trust the word of bitter people. This is just like the Don Felder autobiography(which he did have a good reason for suing)    

These tell-alls are always designed to trash the reputation of one person while making yourself look like a victim and getting people to belive yourside 

Everyone is happy with each other if they weren't this thing would have blown up long ago

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

This book was written after NITL. You can be certain had he been involved this would have been an extremely different book, and maybe there wouldn’t have even been a book at all. Matt is just pissed he wasn’t a part of this. His way of capitalizing off the Guns name while it’s still relevant. Good drummer but his ego is bigger than Axl’s ever was or will ever be. He’s still bitter about how he was described in the Live Era liner notes. 

100% correct. 

4 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

OK, my 2 cents on everything, I will repeat mine beacuse people tend to always take sides of some member last 20 years as if it were their family member.

Izzy and Axl grew up in Indiana. The way Iz left and the way everyone always left and spoke of Axl (once they were financialy independant of him), was always pretty much same - complicated motherfucker who obviously has issues.

Once Iz was out, Ax really spared no time talking shit about him and dedicating DTJ to him.  (speaking of Matt, Axl spoke very fondly of Matt in the interviews while Sorum was in the band).

Gilby can't play, Iz comes back to have his commitments to him finally paid out, maybe also to test water for future colaboration but seeing 'the drugged zombies', 'counted days till Gilby comes back'.  Iz leaves, Ax dedicates DTJ at him from the next day on.

Ax goes nuts, thinks he is bigger than universe and decides to ditch Slash and Duff.

We get Neurotic outsiders, 2 great Snakepit albums, few failed Duff projects and a couple ok Gilby and Iz works.

Seeing Slash, with most post GNR success doesn't get past clubs, they decide to make GNR 2 minus Axl.

Iz spooked from Ax tyrany backs out once they want another frontman and Scott enters, although with no great enthusiasm as musically this band is far from STP style, yet Scott must pay his bills but decides to be in until he eventually gets back with DeLeo's.

In a moment of devestation, and probably Perla's pursuasion, Slash gives in, goes to Axl and tells Beta what he honestly thought. Duff spineless and etc.

In 2006, I go and see a concert in a very small club of one former member.

The former member clearly says 'we were are approached recently to rejoin the band. Currently in are Matt, Slash, Dizzy...,basically everyone but not Duff.'. Also says 'the first gig will be in NYC this fall'.

Several weeks later, I mention that on one forum and Jarmo goes mad.  Threatens with bans, says there is no way this person would ever say this, calls it fake rumours...  A day later to more people confirm they were at the same gig and heard the same things from this member...

2008 Scott fixed his relationship with STP and probably feels sick and tired putting up wth VR over no drugs policy when he can get a lot more money with STP.

VR disolve.  Slash is sick and tired of all and goes solo.  Duff is trying but his projects go from bad to worse. Duff plays gigs for 10k max.

Meanwhile around the globe, London excluded, Axl's solo project goes to shit averaging 2500-3000 tix in empty Arenas.

They ALL but Slash NEED money.  Axl plays some gigs for 200k or less. Conspiritors is a relativly cheap project where only Slash and Myles have decent careers and even here Myles has a lot lower contract than in Alterbridge, his primary project.

Duff somehow decides to sneak in Axl's room, even if that means travelling all the way to Londonand makes up this ridiculous story about it all being an accident.

They figure the only way to fame and $$$$ is Slash and Duff is the perfect mediator between the 2.

Slash is not stupid and stadiums are always more tempting than clubs or festivals around noon time.  Money will be x Million, why not.

Axl fires his whole band and works with Slash and Duff on the new band.  Slash sees Axl can't sing shit and demands more %.

Duff figures w/o Slash he is back to Loaded and will give Slash any % Slash demands.

What do we do with Iz?  Iz says equal share. Ax says 'don't touch my share', Duff thinks 'my is lowest anyway.  Fuck Iz.

Iz thinks 'either way they play the setlist, I had big influence on all of Afd-UYI material, equal share or nothing'.

Iz leaves, Steve would play for bits but Ax/Duff don't want him, Ax (unlike some here thought), didn't have issues with Matt so TB texted Matt but the offer was probably way below Matt's likeing...(not speaking about the part where Steve/Matt/Gilby got invited to participate as guests...

Axl thinking, you never know, if Slash turns out to be the biggest deal publicly with Matt/Duff/Iz or Gilby he may take over the band + I flopped with CD anyway publicly.

Axl takes a phone 'Frank and Rich could you come back for a few $k a month'?  Thinking, Frank is shit but anyone else is more $.

Fortus and Frank comeback.  Poster Moneypenny or whatever says 'Neither Slash nor Duff are too thrilled about F n F duo. One of them is hated by both, the other one is tolerated by one of the 2'.

NITL tour proceeds.  End of 2016 I see an legend, very big friend of both Slash and Duff, who just played as opener last week for them in SA, his words 'Man that sounds bad through and through. The worst part - they are aware. Ax/Slash/Duff have seperate backstage each.  None of them talks to the rest of the band. I had to talk seperately to Duff and Slash, beacuse they barely talk...Its not a band man.  I asked Duff why are you doing this to yourself and he replies - my contract says so'.

Conclusion - of course it is all about money, all the bands from foundation on hope to play for money.  The problem occures when it becomes only about the money. When there ain't no soul - there is no creativity.  This band as it is, suits them all perfectly.  Otherwise Axl would be retired sitting at home watching tv, Duff playing 500 cap clubs, Slash playing 3000-5000cap clubs or afternoon festival slots, Dizzy...hard to imagine what he would do...Dead Daises with Fortus or something.

There is no logic in this band nor was there ever one.  Now there is just financial thrive, no soul and unlike the 80/90's no greater quality Slash excluded.

When I just think how many decades I repeated taht GNR 87-93 was the greatest band ever.  Collected bootlegs 86-93, posters, books basically any memorabilia with GNR moniker, now I passed every chance possible to see ths revolving door nostalgia act 2016 on, watching pro shots of 2016-2020 thinking what a sad, sad circus this has become and how itching it is to watch what Axl is doing to himself and GNR moniker with this horribly irritating Mickey Mouse voice. I can't watch more than 2 min of a song hopeing the next one will be better but it just gets worse and worse.

Sad.  This band had it all and has ruined it all for themseves, the fans, the reputation...For all but their bank accounts. If that is what makes them happy - good for them.

Ummm what?

6 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I wanted to walk back something I said earlier about Slash and Matt having no contact.

In the book, Matt is talking about the period in the 90’s after he was fired. He had been getting paid $15k a month which was to be recouped from royalties on the next album which he now wouldn’t get. They had to recoup it from UYI royalties instead and it was a long time before he saw another royalty check. Matt also feels he was screwed out of his royalty on Live Era. In general, he didn’t like the way Axl did business sometimes.

Matt then says he was speaking to Slash about this period “not that long ago”. Matt asks Slash how he can work with Axl now and Slash replies that it’s “just a gig”.

Yeah I think he's still cool with Slash. Wasn't there a photo last year of them together at a SMKC show when Kings of Chaos were playing in the same town? Matt wouldn't have gone to visit him if there were problems.

I guess Matt didn't understand that all Axl needed was a guitar player and a bass player cause Tommy and Bumble left. DJ quit only cause it was Slash that was back in the band.

To tell Duff that he must go back and insist Matt should be the drummer is one of those things that really show how arrogant he is imo. Duff is not a saint and it did rub me the wrong way when he tried to come up with a silly explanation for It's So Easy or when he said that he didn't know anyone back then who used the word "cunt" and the n word, but I'm not going to hold shit like using common sense against him as a fan and compromise so it can professionally work with Axl and with Slash as well as Gn'R. I would do the same thing.

I don't believe Axl would have agreed to anything more than a live performance here and there with Matt, Steven, or Gilby. Duff agreed to help Slash with a bigger cut. Still cringe worthy sometimes but still comes off as a much better person compared to Matt imo.

Edited by Rovim

7 hours ago, LunsJail said:

[...]

Matt then says he was speaking to Slash about this period “not that long ago”. Matt asks Slash how he can work with Axl now and Slash replies that it’s “just a gig”.

Oh, the drama! It truely is like an episode of Gossip Girl! :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I think he's still cool with Slash. Wasn't there a photo last year of them together at a SMKC show when Kings of Chaos were playing in the same town? Matt wouldn't have gone to visit him if there were problems.

You are right, is weird, i guess he is a bit resentful and want that Slash knew it to read his book. As you says he always was apparent cool with Slash.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

that pretty much says what I thought and many others posted.

Duff and Axl call the financial shots but are very aware that Slash is the main deal in the band.

Slash, if he could, would have 87-93 back today rather than tmw, but really has no will to oppose the other 2.

Slash/Duff/Axl don't give a flying fuck about the other three in current band. (Who of Slash/Duff/Axl wished eg. Frank  happy birthday)?

They don't themselvs don't even perceive this as a band anymore. That said, as I mentioned many times earlier, chances of new album = 0.

This is all tour ad rab money while it lasts.  Duff and Axl don't have all that much to look back to last 15 years an Slash can always  look back to SMKC in need of wanting to release his creativity.

If its all about the money, then the band now has a shelf life. I think once matts book comes out this will potentially open alot of old wounds and now put any new music in jeopardy, if new music will be a reality.

Edited by Sydney Fan

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

As always, I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. 

Are the current lineup of GNR a close knit group of buddies? No, of course not. Anyone who's seen any footage of the band can see that clearly. 

Are Slash & Duff sitting around wishing they had enough power to bring the almighty Matt Sorum back? Nah, probably not. 

Have the two of them said things to make Matt feel better while they cash their checks from the reunion? Probably. 

This: 100%. 

Take it for what you will, but MSL said that when Slash and Duff first came to the bargaining table, they brought up the possibility of Matt being the full time drummer for the NITL tour, and Axl laughed it off. I'm sure to them, that was the most they could do in terms of getting Matt back "in the band" instead of just guest spots. He also said Axl brought up the possibility of continuing with three guitarists, but Slash refused. Point being, there was give and take all around, and not a specific attempt to keep Matt out of the band. 

For what it's worth, I completely understand Matt wanting to get his side of the story to the public. That being said, it looks like he resorted to gossip in a way that Slash and Duff's books did not. To be fair, Slash and Duff's books have their fair criticisms of Axl, but they never resort to this type of whining. As a matter of fact, I think Slash actually apologizes for the times he did knock Axl in the press. Beyond Matt cutting off his ties to Axl, Slash, and Duff with this book, I imagine it will not sit well with Izzy either. Although he does not say anything bad about Izzy, we all know Izzy remains a quiet and guarded person who seems to have worked hard to avoid airing dirty laundry. 

• Like 3

I was referring to the Izzy and Duff situation when I said I thought Matt was oversharing. I can’t imagine either one of them wanted those words in public. It’s interesting when people who talk too much complain about not being better informed. But I get that he had a book to sell too.

18 hours ago, LunsJail said:

The major label hair band that was living in a fucking storage unit when they formed?

Yep, while that hair band actively pursued a major label deal they voluntarily chose to live for a brief period in a rehearsal room for greater access to sex, drug and rock n roll. Whats your point?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Creed said:

This is not the reunion i wanted to see. Its a hybrid version of GnR. Just boring and predictable. They are just doing their work. I can't see the fun, just the dollar bills. I dont need them to be friends again, but there were total different vibes when Steven were on drums for 2 songs. Or Angus on guitar. Or GnR joining Foo Fighters. Hybrid GnR bores me.

Bullshit.

For 20 years it was

No Slash no GNR, 

Without Slash there  is no GNR

We want Slash

Reunite with Slash

Slash is Guns N’ Roses

etc....

I did not see anyone wanting Steven or Matt. It’s always been about Slash. Any attempt otherwise is revisionist history. 

If Steven and Izzy came back it would have been.

“They are too old just retire this just a cash grab”

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually enjoyed the pre-reunion lineup (saw them with my dad in 2011 and 2012) more than the current lineup I saw in 2016. Current lineup is a nostalgic thing at best, and money-making, there is that too. 

The 2002 era with Bucket, Robin, and Brain in my mind was no doubt, the best from an ability standpoint. It's a damn shame that very lineup didn't put out more material.

Oh well, my only hope that if/when CD2/next album comes out, it will largely contain material from the above mentioned members, which I realize is not likely.

It would have been great if CD2 came out in 2010-2014 or whatever. I can tolerate a little Bumble and Frank like we got in CD, and I assumed CD2 was more or less the same in that regard.