Matt Sorum's Autobiography

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Envision the marketing campaign: ''Appetite for Destruction Reunion Tour''. ''The original five on the stage for the first time in forty years''. 

...then it will be "for the last time ever". 

Throw out the notion to people that they may not be able to see something again, and they'll run at you, wallets flapping, shouting "I need to tick that box". 

35 minutes ago, vloors said:

Half the casual fans think Fortus is Izzy anyway so it would not make any difference to them. 

I'd say way more than half! The others don't know or care who Izzy even is. 

That won't stop them from telling people it's what they've been waiting all their lives to see though. And those people will buy into it. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd say way more than half! The others don't know or care who Izzy even is. 

That won't stop them from telling people it's what they've been waiting all their lives to see though. And those people will buy into it. 

Axl said he wants to keep it going for as long as possible. They've already made a lot of money from the NITL without him making compromises he might not want to make like replacing Frank and Fortus. Even if he'll do it for 1 leg of a tour it will be hard to sell tickets as the current line up again.

in addition, people can simply go "so the difference is the drummer and the rhythm guitar player? but I've already seen Axl and Slash twice with the other guys and it was pretty good". Hardcore fans will love it, but which people will buy into it? how many will go for it unless it was like a Motley Crue situation? even Kiss chose to not do it with Ace and Peter.

They can do what you're suggesting with the current line up as well and advertise it as the last time as well.

Edited by Rovim

On 4/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, LunsJail said:

Yes, I downloaded it to Kindle.

I downloaded the free sample the day it came out. At the time, the full Kindle version was available to buy. After I finished the sample a few days later, all versions had been taken down :(

What I read (the sample went through bands in high school) I enjoyed. I look forward to reading the entire book.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl said he wants to keep it going for as long as possible. They've already made a lot of money from the NITL without him making compromises he might not want to make like replacing Frank and Fortus. Even if he'll do it for 1 leg of a tour it will be hard to sell tickets as the current line up again.

in addition, people can simply go "so the difference is the drummer and the rhythm guitar player? but I've already seen Axl and Slash twice with the other guys and it was pretty good". Hardcore fans will love it, but which people will buy into it? how many will go for it unless it was like a Motley Crue situation? even Kiss chose to not do it with Ace and Peter.

Never underestimate how easily led and manipulated people are! 

I think a lot of the crowds on the NITL tour were made up of people feeling they 'had to be there' rather than through genuine liking of the band. You could pull that again easily I think. 

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

Their next card will be a Farewell Tour, followed a few years later by a F**k Retirement Tour (like what Ozzy did).

Izzy/Steven and Matt/Gilby wont make a shit of a difference either way.

I'd be amazed if the next tour isn't branded a "farewell tour" actually and run for years and years. NITL is on five years now and counting, so I can see it eclipsing even that. 

Just now, allwaystired said:

I'd be amazed if the next tour isn't branded a "farewell tour" actually and run for years and years. NITL is on five years now and counting, so I can see it eclipsing even that. 

Well officially NITL ended in 2019 and this is now just called “The 2020 Tour,” but yeah I can see a “farewell” tour lasting for many years, like Kiss’s current End of the Road Tour.

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Well officially NITL ended in 2019 and this is now just called “The 2020 Tour,” but yeah I can see a “farewell” tour lasting for many years, like Kiss’s current End of the Road Tour.

Has it ended? I have no idea! Setlist was the same in Mexico as it was for NITL, so in my eyes it's the same tour rolling on! 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Has it ended? I have no idea! Setlist was the same in Mexico as it was for NITL, so in my eyes it's the same tour rolling on! 

Yeah lol Slash said in January that the 2020 tour is “completely separate” from NITL, but it sure doesn’t feel that way!

On 4/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, shotsfired cro said:

NITL tour proceeds.  End of 2016 I see an legend, very big friend of both Slash and Duff, who just played as opener last week for them in SA, his words 'Man that sounds bad through and through. The worst part - they are aware. Ax/Slash/Duff have seperate backstage each.  None of them talks to the rest of the band. I had to talk seperately to Duff and Slash, beacuse they barely talk...Its not a band man.  I asked Duff why are you doing this to yourself and he replies - my contract says so'.

Can you give us a hint as to who you are referring to here? Is it perhaps a trio from Texas known for their facial hair?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Hey @LunsJail didn't you say you were going to share a Hollywood Vampires story?

Yes

- Matt finds out that Alice Cooper is starting a project called Hollywood Vampires with Johnny Depp and Joe Perry. Matt calls Alice’s manager to ask for the drummer job which he immediately agrees to. Matt then pulls Duff into the project as well.

- Matt some issues with how things went down at the Grammys they performed at in 2016. He finds out they aren’t all walking the red carpet together, only Alice, Joe, and Johnny are together. Duff tells him he’s walking separately with his wife as well. Matt seems irritated at this, I guess because he assumed later that Duff didn’t want them photographed together.

- Dave Grohl is introducing their performance. Matt somehow catches wind that the script doesn’t call for him and Duff to be called out by name. Matt says something to Dave who replies “I got you”. The band is then introduced as “featuring Matt Sorum and Duff Mckagan”.

- Duff is nowhere to be found backstage after the performance. Depp tells Matt that Duff has quit the band and left the venue. Matt is later told by someone’s manager that Duff quit to go back to his other band (GNR).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, LunsJail said:

Yes

- Matt finds out that Alice Cooper is starting a project called Hollywood Vampires with Johnny Depp and Joe Perry. Matt calls Alice’s manager to ask for the drummer job which he immediately agrees to. Matt then pulls Duff into the project as well.

- Matt some issues with how things went down at the Grammys they performed at in 2016. He finds out they aren’t all walking the red carpet together, only Alice, Joe, and Johnny are together. Duff tells him he’s walking separately with his wife as well. Matt seems irritated at this, I guess because he assumed later that Duff didn’t want them photographed together.

- Dave Grohl is introducing their performance. Matt somehow catches wind that the script doesn’t call for him and Duff to be called out by name. Matt says something to Dave who replies “I got you”. The band is then introduced as “featuring Matt Sorum and Duff Mckagan”.

- Duff is nowhere to be found backstage after the performance. Depp tells Matt that Duff has quit the band and left the venue. Matt is later told by someone’s manager that Duff quit to go back to his other band (GNR).

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Strange that Matt was gonna out this out right as he was about to perform a charity gig with Duff. Wonder if the book delay had something to do with that, and the virus happening around the same time was just a coincidence. Maybe this version of the book that leaked was meant to be changed, to remove all of the Duff slander?

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Strange that Matt was gonna out this out right as he was about to perform a charity gig with Duff. Wonder if the book delay had something to do with that, and the virus happening around the same time was just a coincidence. Maybe this version of the book that leaked was meant to be changed, to remove all of the Duff slander?

Or maybe Duff caught wind of what was going in the book and some 11h hour fence mending took place? Pure speculation of course.

Matt seems to present this story as an example of how he advocated for Duff to get him in Vampires but got left on the bench for NITL.

Dude, you’re basically a session drummer for yet another all star cover band who have no hits and no current cultural relevance. Yet somehow, that band is getting a performance slot at the Grammys. Matt only sees all the ways his star power is getting slighted here, just like the HOF.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Or maybe Duff caught wind of what was going in the book and some 11h hour fence mending took place? Pure speculation of course.

Matt seems to present this story as an example of how he advocated for Duff to get him in Vampires but got left on the bench for NITL.

Dude, you’re basically a session drummer for yet another all star cover band who have no hits and no current cultural relevance. Yet somehow, that band is getting a performance slot at the Grammys. Matt only sees all the ways his star power is getting slighted here, just like the HOF.

I suppose it’s possible that Duff tried to mend fences with him as a means of “damage control,” yeah.

And yeah, I agree. This book is making Matt look very, very whiney! Not to the levels of Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons just yet (their books were a nightmare to read)... But close!!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I suppose it’s possible that Duff tried to mend fences with him as a means of “damage control,” yeah.

And yeah, I agree. This book is making Matt look very, very whiney! Not to the levels of Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons just yet... But close!!

Speaking of Gene! He appears in the book pulling some power move shit. I’ll type out that story when I have more time.

36 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

The more i read these tiny tidbits, the more i get the feeling that matt is somehow annoyed very fast over random actions from others. It seems he's much more assuming/guessing about everything, than telling facts.

Edited by EricA
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, EricA said:

The more i read these tiny tidbits, the more i get the feeling that matt is somehow annoyed very fast over random actions from others. It seems he's much more assuming/guessing about everything, than telling facts.

I think he’s just desperate to hang on to the fame and clout he had as the drummer for GNR circa 91-92. He realizes these moments in the spotlight are getting fewer and won’t accept some background role.

• Like 2