Matt Sorum's Autobiography

On 13.4.2020 at 2:48 PM, Senor_peligro said:

So what.

good on him , he got the ball rolling for the reunion all fans wanted to see. Give him a break. Besides do you know any of them Personally? If not then your comment is pure speculation.

Well obviously it is pure speculation, like 99% of everything else here and why I repeatedly used phrasing like "perhaps" and "I'd guess". Besides, my comment was only half-serious, half-tongue in cheek. Like I mentioned in the post before the one you quoted, I don't hate Duff (and the "big 3"  in general) and think he has some admirable qualities. Being cunning/sly isn't necessarily bad, and if it brought us the reunion, I'm all for it. 

Plus, I don't care for Matt Sorum, so I'm not exactly torn up about Duff (and Slash) throwing him under the bus/freezing him out/whatever.

16 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Matt seems to present this story as an example of how he advocated for Duff to get him in Vampires but got left on the bench for NITL.

He seems to paint himself as the victim a lot, way more than Slash and Duff did in their books.

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

He may have thought him,slash and duff were a gang of 3 during that phase and thought in the fans eyes that he played on the illusion albums he would be well known as axl, slash, duff in the eyes of fans.

He probably thought (or still thinks that), yeah. Unfortunately for him, it's far from reality. Slash and Duff don't want him in their gang and the vast majority of fans/concert goers have no idea who Matt Sorum is and don't give a fuck.

Most people don't even know who Izzy is (or confuse him with Fortus), some also don't know Duff. It's all about Axl and Slash to the general public. No one cares about Sorum being in the band except a handful of hardcore GnR nerds.

On 14.4.2020 at 4:50 AM, Kira said:

Honestly, I think the sole reason for Matt and Izzys “friendship” is to annoy Axl.  That’s it.

Yes, I agree. 

I don't believe for a second Izzy is actually friends with Sorum.

Nothing but a surprisingly passive-aggressive (from Izzy's side, I'd sort of have expected better from him) move to annoy Axl or the big 3 in general.

Honestly, all the drama and in-fighting and passive-aggressiveness going on with this band over the years (decades) is insane. They're worse than a bunch of 12-year old girls, all of them.

7 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Very cool of Grohl to do that!  I can see Matt's POV actually. Being surrounded by people all the time that are elitist and want to put you down in a class not equal to their own, despite you being a part of the band. I can see why he would think "what im good enough to work hard alongside you all, but you want the spotlight always on yourselves only". I would feel the same.

Yeah it's like what I said earlier, Matt isn't just any old drummer. In the Vampires situation though I think he thought it was more like a band when in reality it's just Alice Joe and Johnny plus some sidemen (which is much more apparent now that Matt and Duff are gone).

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Yeah, I can see many reasons why Matt felt buthurt.

- YCBM is one of the all time GNR outstanding songs.  YCBM would not have been the way it was if it weren't for Matt's drumming.

UYI I and II have Matt's sig all over.  Coma, Back off, Don't damn me, Locomotive, Double talking, Get in the ring, Breakdown, Dead Horse...

- all your buddies that you played many years with in several bands go back to the band that friendship started and leave you out without telling you in the first place.

- you see that band having Frank and him playing your parts, what else would you think than expecting a call in less than 5 minutes!? Especially if your 2 buddies for years leave an impression it is all coming together again.

- Afd was a breakthrough, but UYI's were the peak of GNR career, Matt was there that whole era.

So yeah, I can see him being dissapointed in many ways.  Honestly, I think once they heard Slash and Duff are negotiating, deep down inside Izzy, Adler and probably Gilby thought 'sure they will not leave me hanging'.

I mean, if I was any of those guys, I would probably think of the 3 'what a retarded cheap bunch of hypocrete assholes'.

Remember, Duff was in the studio recording and releasing new Izzy songs during the time this whole negotiating process took place!  Basically, having a lot more contact with Iz than anyone else, only to reach 'fuck Iz' and not wish him a Happy Birthday (as if Iz was Frank, Fortus, Mel or any of those guys he doesn't wish HB to.  ...and we all know HB wishes have hidden meaning in GNR world... ;)   Yet, he still doesn't have problem and earning millions from the songs Iz contributed, night after night after night for the past 5 years.

Honestly, it took fuckin Corona to finally stop NITL tour.

The part about Duff working with Izzy then abruptly treating him like that shows his true colors.

Personally I think Slash and Duff really wanted Matt in the reunion but the only thing standing in their way was Axl. I don't agree with the whole "they didn't want to work with him after VR" because both of them played with him in Camp Freddy and Kings of Chaos. Yeah Matt isn't on Slash's solo record but neither is Gilby, so I don't think we can read much into that. They both know that he's an excellent drummer and I'm sure they would've picked him over Frank once they tried rehearsing with him, if given the chance.

7 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah it's like what I said earlier, Matt isn't just any old drummer. In the Vampires situation though I think he thought it was more like a band when in reality it's just Alice Joe and Johnny plus some sidemen (which is much more apparent now that Matt and Duff are gone).

Yeah. And that is all down to Alice fucking manager. Which really is ridiculous, considering that one of the sidemen is the producer and songwriter and the one who coordinates the musical side (Tommy Henriksen). Only on Johnny Depp's insistance (and defying the manager) he made it on one of the t-shirts. Really pathetic situation. Even more so when you treat Duff and Matt like that. But that's off topic I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. And that is all down to Alice fucking manager. Which really is ridiculous, considering that one of the sidemen is the producer and songwriter and the one who coordinates the musical side (Tommy Henriksen). Only on Johnny Depp's insistance (and defying the manager) he made it on one of the t-shirts. Really pathetic situation. Even more so when you treat Duff and Matt like that. But that's off topic I guess.

The difference is Tommy isn't a big well known name, he's only there because of his association with Alice. But he's also comfortable being on the side and letting the other 3 have the spotlight. The whole dynamic of that band had changed though from the first album to now.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The difference is Tommy isn't a big well known name, he's only there because of his association with Alice. But he's also comfortable being on the side and letting the other 3 have the spotlight. The whole dynamic of that band had changed though from the first album to now.

Yes. But that shouldn't matter, especially not with the role he's playing and the fact that he's the most complete musician in that band. And Duff and Matt actually were big enough names that should have made them get top billing. But I know that this band is just riding Johnny's starpower, letting him play a rockstar.

4 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. But that shouldn't matter, especially not with the role he's playing and the fact that he's the most complete musician in that band. And Duff and Matt actually were big enough names that should have made them get top billing. But I know that this band is just riding Johnny's starpower, letting him play a rockstar.

At the very least, I would say there was a misunderstanding between Matt and the rest of the band over how it would get billed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's the part I don't like about the band. He's such a poser with all of his overpriced chains and accessories. Tommy is way more of a legit rock star than him, not to mention Alice and Joe.

Don't Axl and Slash wear similar chains and accessories? And I'm pretty sure Depp has always dressed like that.

Haven't listened to the band to much but I did like his vocals on bit on their Heroes cover.

35 minutes ago, registra said:

Don't Axl and Slash wear similar chains and accessories? And I'm pretty sure Depp has always dressed like that.

Haven't listened to the band to much but I did like his vocals on bit on their Heroes cover.

I don't know, to me Slash and Axl are legit and not just some rich guy playing rock star. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't know, to me Slash and Axl are legit and not just some rich guy playing rock star. 

To be honest, the periord during which they were “legit” and not some “rich guys playing rock stars” has been gone for ages. I think Slash is still legit cause he kept living his rock n roll life, playing concerts and releasing stuff since day one, but I cant say the same for Axl lol

Axl just hid in his Malibu mansion for most of his life and didnt do anything of relevancy aside of NuGNR tours to keep his “rich guy” lifestyle going, which is kind of lame. Id respect him a little more had he gone in a way similar to Slash. 

But the way I see Axl these days? A guy that got lucky in the past, had a great way of singing (but didnt really know how to sing properly, so wasnt really a singer), wrotte two great songs on his own and lived the rest of his life off that legacy. A trully hardcore rockstar lol

Edited by default_
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

To me Depp is a legit rocker. He has always had a rebellious aura. Ok, he might not have a distinct sound, but his guitar playing is good and he has a nice voice. Plus he was a musician before he started acting. 

And he got rich by doing what he is good at, like Axl and Slash, so I don't see why him having money would be an argument against being legit. (Although, one could say they are all rich old guys playing rock stars these days.)

... I'm on a Gn'R forum defending Johnny Depp. Fuck my life...

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, default_ said:

To be honest, the periord during which they were “legit” and not some “rich guys playing rock stars” has been gone for ages. I think Slash is still legit cause he kept living his rock n roll life, playing concerts and releasing stuff since day one, but I cant say the same for Axl lol

Axl just hid in his Malibu mansion for most of his life and didnt do anything of relevancy aside of NuGNR tours to keep his “rich guy” lifestyle going, which is kind of lame. Id respect him a little more had he gone in a way similar to Slash. 

But the way I see Axl these days? A guy that got lucky in the past, had a great way of singing (but didnt really know how to sing properly, so wasnt really a singer), wrotte two great songs on his own and lived the rest of his life off that legacy. A trully hardcore rockstar lol

I don't disagree with you there, I just mentioned Axl because he was named in the post I was quoting. Slash, yes definitely.

6 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

To me Depp is a legit rocker. He has always had a rebellious aura. Ok, he might not have a distinct sound, but his guitar playing is good and he has a nice voice. Plus he was a musician before he started acting. 

And he got rich by doing what he is good at, like Axl and Slash, so I don't see why him having money would be an argument against being legit. (Although, one could say they are all rich old guys playing rock stars these days.)

... I'm on a Gn'R forum defending Johnny Depp. Fuck my life...

Perhaps, but to me he's not a legit rock star, not like Joe Perry for instance. Or when Matt and Duff were still in the band. I don't mind him being in the band and playing, I just don't like that he's got this costume on and he's acting like he's some rock star. Even if that's how he looks when he's off the stage it doesn't look genuine to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's the part I don't like about the band. He's such a poser with all of his overpriced chains and accessories. Tommy is way more of a legit rock star than him, not to mention Alice and Joe.

@LunsJail are there any interesting tidbits about VR?

The VR section is surprisingly brief. Not much we haven’t heard before. There is a story about Scott walking in on Matt with some groupies (one of whom is his current wife) but I’d heard that one before. He skips right past anything to do with the making of the 2nd album. Also, he treats Scott’s firing as the end of that band. No mention of trying out other singers after Scott.

5 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

The VR section is surprisingly brief. Not much we haven’t heard before. There is a story about Scott walking in on Matt with some groupies (one of whom is his current wife) but I’d heard that one before. He skips right past anything to do with the making of the 2nd album. Also, he treats Scott’s firing as the end of that band. No mention of trying out other singers after Scott.

Interesting, I thought VR was a huge deal for him back then. Maybe he figured people were mostly interested in hearing about GnR and reunion stuff. I would've loved to hear more about VR from his perspective.

Maybe he kind of knew that after the last tour it would be the end, since Slash wanted to make a solo record and everyone was already doing other stuff.

27 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Ah man that is a bummer!  Even Scott's own autobio omitted a ton of what I would have assumed were fairly important parts of their lives.   

Steve Gorman, the drummer for The Black Crowes released a memoir about his history with that band and man he really laid it all out on the table.  All books should be that honest and comprehensive IMO

37 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Ah man that is a bummer!  Even Scott's own autobio omitted a ton of what I would have assumed were fairly important parts of their lives.   

Steve Gorman, the drummer for The Black Crowes released a memoir about his history with that band and man he really laid it all out on the table.  All books should be that honest and comprehensive IMO

That guy had nothing to lose. He is certain his time with the band is finished. Plus, the Robinson brothers aren’t Slash and Duff level of cred. I wonder how they feel about each other know that there will no be any tours. They were talking great about each other and now there broke again 

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I want to read that one too, even though I'm not much of a Black Crowes fan.

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That guy had nothing to lose. He is certain his time with the band is finished. Plus, the Robinson brothers aren’t Slash and Duff level of cred. I wonder how they feel about each other know that there will no be any tours. They were talking great about each other and now there broke again 

I don't feel bad for them. Their reunion was such a joke and they're so washed up now anyways.

• Like 1

Was there much talk about Snakepit?

Honestly looking at how GNR has turned out in 2020... if Axl had just sung on those fucking songs... it would have been SO GOOD.

If I close my eyes I can hear Axl on Doin' Fine... and I'm rock... hard. Dime Store Rock was made for snake-dancing. 

Edited by Ant