Matt Sorum's Autobiography

25 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Separate rooms backstage isn't abnormal for a band this size. 

It’s the norm. Most major bands don’t hang out as friends. I know Pearl Jam openly talk about they mostly only see each other on tour. Most bands who have been together for 20 years are just happy to be a band. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, shotsfired cro said:

https://blog.michaelsegalweddings.com/guns-n-roses-matt-sorum-marries-singer-ace-harper-at-the-colony-palms-palm-springs/

Hadn't seen this one before.  This may explain why Matt felt so buthurt from Duff out of all members

Matt does mention in the book that Duff was a groomsman at his wedding and expected more from him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, adamwolff11 said:

So.. what am I missing here? I literally downloaded and read the book 2 weeks ago on Kindle, but now it's not being released until July?? Was it accidentally made available early?

Yes, it appeared briefly on Amazon then got removed. I don't know how or why it happened but you lucky!

Did you like the book?

16 hours ago, adamwolff11 said:

Wow, that's odd! I did. A couple of my takeaways:

- Matt is pretty full of himself.. there's not much humility and he's not super complimentary of most people he mentions. 

- It's obvious his feelings are still very raw about the reunion and he feels he should have been included. He doesn't really have anything positive to say about it. He was invited to play, but offered no money by Fernando.

- His relationship with Duff seems to be pretty affected by it. He mentions Duff thinks Frank sucks, but Axl wants him. Basically shits on how Duff handled the whole thing. Said Slash referred to it as 'just a gig'. 

- I was most shocked by how he has NOTHING positive to say about Slash. Not even being complimentary of his playing. Basically says his whole go with the flow, easy going stuff is an act and he's more cunning than anyone. Shits on him for stuff related to Guns, Snakepit, and VR. 

- Glossed over the VR stuff for the most part. Weiland may have been mentioned a couple times, but his death was barely acknowledged.

- Acknowledged he immediately regretted his HOF speech, which was probably the most adult emotion he showed in the book. Also used the HOF as an opportunity to shit on Slash.

- Was easily the most complimentary of Axl out of all of Guns members. I felt his takes were pretty fair.. he criticized some of the bullshit, but was also quick to give Axl praise. 

- This was definitely on the Anthony Kiedis book level of 'Then I had sex and then I did drugs and then I had sex, etc, etc'. It's hard to tell throughout a lot of the book whether he's trying to brag or it's just an honest reflection. A part of me thinks he's a dude that still completely glamorizes the 'rockstar lifestyle', but he's relatively thoughtful at the end.

All in all, I would recommend it for anyone who likes the band enough to be reading a Guns forum. I'd say 70% of the book involves the period from him joining Guns through the end of VR, which I'd imagine is what most on here would be interested in. And, to me, the fact that this is the first band member's book to be released after the reunion, that was interesting. 

Having read the book, these were my basic takeaways as well. The most surprising thing to me was his treatment of Slash and Duff. I don’t think he says one kind or grateful thing about either guy in this book.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

3 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Anything about Tori Amos? I've always liked her music.

Yes, there is a section about her. Basically they were playing together and the record company decided she was the star and she dumps the rest of the band. It doesn’t end on great terms.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Yes, there is a section about her. Basically they were playing together and the record company decided she was the star and she dumps the rest of the band. It doesn’t end on great terms.

Tori Amos has a book coming out this year. Pretty soon if I remember correcly. It's an autobiography called Resistance.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/tori-amos-believes-the-muses-can-help/amp

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, adamwolff11 said:

- Matt is pretty full of himself.. there's not much humility and he's not super complimentary of most people he mentions. 

- It's obvious his feelings are still very raw about the reunion and he feels he should have been included. He doesn't really have anything positive to say about it. He was invited to play, but offered no money by Fernando.

- His relationship with Duff seems to be pretty affected by it. He mentions Duff thinks Frank sucks, but Axl wants him. Basically shits on how Duff handled the whole thing. Said Slash referred to it as 'just a gig'. 

- I was most shocked by how he has NOTHING positive to say about Slash. Not even being complimentary of his playing. Basically says his whole go with the flow, easy going stuff is an act and he's more cunning than anyone. Shits on him for stuff related to Guns, Snakepit, and VR. 

- Glossed over the VR stuff for the most part. Weiland may have been mentioned a couple times, but his death was barely acknowledged.

- Acknowledged he immediately regretted his HOF speech, which was probably the most adult emotion he showed in the book. Also used the HOF as an opportunity to shit on Slash.

- Was easily the most complimentary of Axl out of all of Guns members. I felt his takes were pretty fair.. he criticized some of the bullshit, but was also quick to give Axl praise. 

- This was definitely on the Anthony Kiedis book level of 'Then I had sex and then I did drugs and then I had sex, etc, etc'. It's hard to tell throughout a lot of the book whether he's trying to brag or it's just an honest reflection. A part of me thinks he's a dude that still completely glamorizes the 'rockstar lifestyle', but he's relatively thoughtful at the end.

All in all, I would recommend it for anyone who likes the band enough to be reading a Guns forum. I'd say 70% of the book involves the period from him joining Guns through the end of VR, which I'd imagine is what most on here would be interested in. And, to me, the fact that this is the first band member's book to be released after the reunion, that was interesting. 

I preordered mine a long time ago and can’t wait to get it and read it. Nice review!

I wonder if he is changing anything with the book being pushed back to July? 

On 29/4/2020 at 8:49 AM, adamwolff11 said:

Great review 👍

• Like 1

On 29/04/2020 at 9:49 PM, adamwolff11 said:

Much on matts time with The Cult?.

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Much on matts time with The Cult?.

Yeah, maybe 10-15% of the book? I've never listened to them much, so I can't really give any decent feedback on the content. Another situation where he didn't seem super positive on anyone involved, particularly Ian. Wasted potential seemed to be his primary feedback. He's nicer about Billy, but I think he resented that the band was basically them and he was on a different tier.

It's weird, because the last chapter or so of the book is kind of him being married, happy, sober, appreciative.. those sorts of emotions. But none of that is represented throughout the book. I guess I appreciate that he didn't feel the need to suck up to people and, given the sheer amount of criticism, gave his honest feedback. Off the top of my head, he was very complimentary of Lemmy and Billy Gibbons. There were probably a few others, but those are the only ones I remember that he painted in a very positive light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

And then the same thing happened with Hollywood Vampires.

Absolutely.. and actually, that's kind of a theme:

- He felt mad and slighted by Tori Amos because he said he put the band together and he ended up as just a session musician.

- Slash fucked him out of song writing credits or something, I forget exactly, but he didn't get enough of the pie there.

- He didn't buy Slash's excuse for why Snakepit became Slash's Snakepit and was mad it was his solo project and less of a band.

Plus the already discussed Cult and Hollywood Vampires examples. He's obviously got a very high opinion of himself, but he also seems to nearly exclusively work with huge stars and then wonder why he isn't perceived on the same level as they are!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamwolff11 said:

Yeah, maybe 10-15% of the book? I've never listened to them much, so I can't really give any decent feedback on the content. Another situation where he didn't seem super positive on anyone involved, particularly Ian. Wasted potential seemed to be his primary feedback. He's nicer about Billy, but I think he resented that the band was basically them and he was on a different tier.

It's weird, because the last chapter or so of the book is kind of him being married, happy, sober, appreciative.. those sorts of emotions. But none of that is represented throughout the book. I guess I appreciate that he didn't feel the need to suck up to people and, given the sheer amount of criticism, gave his honest feedback. Off the top of my head, he was very complimentary of Lemmy and Billy Gibbons. There were probably a few others, but those are the only ones I remember that he painted in a very positive light.

Wasted potential on Astbury's part? That seems weird, he's had a very solid career. 

• Like 1

In GnR Matt was promoted as a full-fledged band member and not as a side guy like in the Cult, but he was never made a partner (same goes for Dizzy, Gilby and all the nuGnR guys later). Does he mention anything about that in the book? Or about the "additional musician" thing on the credits of Live Era?

And since, from what the people who have read the book say, he doesn't say much about the VR era, I assume there isn't anything about Slash's night visit at Axl's house and what it caused in VR.