Jump to content

Matt Sorum's Autobiography


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

 

Since I couldn't upload the pic from the book, I'll transcribe the text:

"This was when Axl started getting obsessive about the details of every thing to do with Guns N' Roses, starting with the publishing splits of the songs on Illusion I and II. The days of band members getting a straight 20 percent were long gone because there were so many outside writers this go-round, especially on the old songs that existed before Guns that were now in the equation, such as "Back Off Bitch." We also had to factor in Matt, who wasn't a full fledged member: he hadn't been around during the writing of the songs, though he'd played on all of them. In the end, because of contributors like Paul Huge and West Arkeen and Del James, Axl insisted upon splits that were like 22.75 percent or 32.2 percent per song for us core members. It was mathematically worked out according to who wrote what, which made it easy in the sense that we'd never have any thing to fight over, but at the same time, it was pored over and complicated things to a corporate degree."

Slash's bio - p. 319.

 

Thanks. It's been years since I read Slash's book and I misunderstood what you meant at first. :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I never figured out the spoiler thing (typing this on a phone) so proceed with caution. Here goes on NITL: - Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampire

One strange thing is how Sorum was such a Casanova? He claims to have been touched-up by Stephanie Seymour. He claims Liz Taylor was wanting to shag him. He claims Naomi Campbell molested him. He appa

Let us stop being fanboys and think about a few facts on the NITL tour. Steven made a few appearances but these were not promoted or advertised beforehand. It sounds like he could have had more i

Posted Images

On 5/2/2020 at 2:39 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Yup. 2016 was awesome. Best year to be into GNR since I started liking them in like 2006 or so. 2017 was acceptable but the fan fatigue was already setting in on top of Axl's deteriorating singing. It is unfathomable but also unsurprising that they are still essentially on the same tour in 2020. It shows there won't be new material. Its about the $$$. Slash and Duff were willing to just join NuGNR for it.

It is what it is. Axl has shown for decades now that he has nothing to say or cares to be an artist that releases actual art. I doubt he would have released anything without Slash or Duff anyways so at least there is some authenticity now, even if it is pretty soulless and corporate. I am glad I saw the 3 of them play together, its like an ending of the band. I doubt most KISS fans who saw them reunited in the 90s care too much if they do it again. I feel that way with GNR. Anything else is whatever because I for what I was going to get.

Its lame but whatever now

I've said before that the 2016 tour was the GNR "grand finale" in a lot of ways. The 2017, 2018, 2019 and most likely 2020 shows were all going to be a rinse and repeat of those shows give or take a song or two.

I know expecting Axl to produce anything creatively even with Slash & Duff back in the fold was more than he was ever willing to muster, so shame on us I guess.  It was easy to get swept up in the excitement of that prospect, however unrealistic is may have been and remains to be.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I know expecting Axl to produce anything creatively even with Slash & Duff back in the fold was more than he was ever willing to muster, so shame on us I guess.  It was easy to get swept up in the excitement of that prospect, however unrealistic is may have been and remains to be.

I think it's always a bad idea to expect Axl to release anything, no matter how promising it seems. You thought that because they've reunited, you'll get an album by now. You were mistaken, but all it means is that they prioritized the touring over the art.

Maybe now the album is their focus. (like Susan said it is) I remain hopeful that the 3 of them will eventually manage to release a final album.

I doubt that the question is if he wants to release new music. He said he is interested. Also said they need to first finish this so they can do something else when they were still on tour. Maybe it's more about the type of album he's interested in releasing under the Gn'R moniker and also Axl seems to prefer to focus on 1 goal at a time.

 

 

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2020 at 7:02 PM, WhazUp said:

I think that the amount of hate he gets is definitely a bit hyperbolic at times.  He isn't my favorite GNR drummer and I would take Sorum back in a heartbreat, but to me Frank is nowhere near as bad of a drummer for GNR as DJ was as a guitar player lol

This 100%. I find rather funny how people even blame him for the faster tempo in some of the songs. 

 

On 03/05/2020 at 12:55 AM, Hank Moody said:

I’m sure that Frank must be a nice guy to hang out with, keeps it to himself and that’s probably why Axl keeps him around. But his awful snare sound (that’s more of my take, don’t remember seeing anyone complaining about this) and his take on the songs like adding unnecessary fills on the classics and fucking up the tempo, are the reasons he gets so much hate. 
In my opinion, if they didn’t want Matt taking part, they should’ve asked Brain to join. 

I don't mind his snare sound and can't remember one example of him "fucking up the tempo". 

But as far as I know, Brain wouldn't want to re-join. In an interview back in 2018, he said he tried to come back in the NA tour in 2006, but realized that wasn't his thing anymore. He even said stuff like "Frank is the perfect fit for GNR, he hits hard and really enjoys being there". He said he sometimes text Frank from time to time, even after the reunion.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

 

Since I couldn't upload the pic from the book, I'll transcribe the text:

"This was when Axl started getting obsessive about the details of every thing to do with Guns N' Roses, starting with the publishing splits of the songs on Illusion I and II. The days of band members getting a straight 20 percent were long gone because there were so many outside writers this go-round, especially on the old songs that existed before Guns that were now in the equation, such as "Back Off Bitch." We also had to factor in Matt, who wasn't a full fledged member: he hadn't been around during the writing of the songs, though he'd played on all of them. In the end, because of contributors like Paul Huge and West Arkeen and Del James, Axl insisted upon splits that were like 22.75 percent or 32.2 percent per song for us core members. It was mathematically worked out according to who wrote what, which made it easy in the sense that we'd never have any thing to fight over, but at the same time, it was pored over and complicated things to a corporate degree."

Slash's bio - p. 319.

It’s weird he mentioned it here in this way, iirc there was an earlier passage where her describes a conversation around the time of appetite where Axl got some of Adlers %, 15 to him 25% to Axl and the rest 20%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02. 05. 2020. at 8:05 PM, Gambit83 said:

I always welcome questions. Sometimes I even rely heavily on them. So I don't overhype, it'll probably be a 20-25 minute interview and I will need to discuss the new Cherie Currie album that he produced. I actually have an interview with her too beforehand. So it's a time/see-how-it-goes approach in my head. Though I am looking at questions submitted regardless.

Hey Brando,

 

I'd have a few more.

ask him what his favorite 2 songs were from UYI I, UYI II, VR, also what his fav live tracks were during UYI tour

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't mind his snare sound and can't remember one example of him "fucking up the tempo". 

Well, watch the Vegas concert, it has been discussed to death here on other topics. 

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

But as far as I know, Brain wouldn't want to re-join. In an interview back in 2018, he said he tried to come back in the NA tour in 2006, but realized that wasn't his thing anymore. He even said stuff like "Frank is the perfect fit for GNR, he hits hard and really enjoys being there". He said he sometimes text Frank from time to time, even after the reunion.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if Axl called him: "hey, wanna join the biggest rock event in the last 10 years and get paid a shitload of money?", he'd go: "nah, dude, I rather play some random Ninja Turtle theme type of shit with Buckethead and watch netflix."

As far as Frank being a perfect fit, guess it's a matter of opinion. Some like him, some hate him and other can't even be bothered by his presence. It's completely fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

It’s weird he mentioned it here in this way, iirc there was an earlier passage where her describes a conversation around the time of appetite where Axl got some of Adlers %, 15 to him 25% to Axl and the rest 20%.

Yes, you are right, when they were adjusting the percentages during AFD, Axl didn't agree that Adler should be paid equally and that's why he got Adler's 5%. During UYI it was a different monster because they had to devise a formula to determine who contributed to what in each song. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

Well, watch the Vegas concert, it has been discussed to death here on other topics. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if Axl called him: "hey, wanna join the biggest rock event in the last 10 years and get paid a shitload of money?", he'd go: "nah, dude, I rather play some random Ninja Turtle theme type of shit with Buckethead and watch netflix."

As far as Frank being a perfect fit, guess it's a matter of opinion. Some like him, some hate him and other can't even be bothered by his presence. It's completely fine.

You mean the first Vegas concert in 2016? 

Brain did say Frank was in a much bigger stuff with the stadium tour. But at the same time, he really missed the time he actually enjoyed being in that band with Buckethead. I don't think he would even consider the NITL to be as successful as it got, so I think he would just decline the invite and then, after, regret the decision lol.

What he said about Frank being a perfect fit was comparing to himself. Frank enjoyed being in GNR in 2006, he did not.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

Yes, you are right, when they were adjusting the percentages during AFD, Axl didn't agree that Adler should be paid equally and that's why he got Adler's 5%. During UYI it was a different monster because they had to devise a formula to determine who contributed to what in each song. 

There is a different version of the story about the publishing percentages for AFD, though, given by both Axl and Steven at the time of Steven's lawsuit, according to which it was the other way around: Slash had come up with a formula to split the publishing according to each one's writing contributions, which resulted to Axl getting the most and Steven getting very little. Steven, of course, didn't take it, so Axl gave him part of his percentage:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t2862-1991-mm-dd-quote-from-steven-on-his-lawsuit-vs-gnr-from-a-press-release

Later Steven changed his story and presented it like Axl was the one who was complaining and Steven gave him 5% off his share.

According to Alan Niven, when he saw that they were fighting, he suggested for the publishing to be split equally and they agreed.

Maybe at that point Axl said that since Steven wasn't originally getting much, it wouldn't be fair for him to get exactly the same percentage as the others. So probably the truth is somewhere in the middle (or, rather, Slash and Steven in his later version omitted the first part or the story).

------

Likely Slash came up with the formula for the Illusions, too, as Izzy said that he was the one who kept track of who wrote what (and this makes sense, because Axl rarely went to the rehearsals).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

You mean the first Vegas concert in 2016? 

Brain did say Frank was in a much bigger stuff with the stadium tour. But at the same time, he really missed the time he actually enjoyed being in that band with Buckethead. I don't think he would even consider the NITL to be as successful as it got, so I think he would just decline the invite and then, after, regret the decision lol.

What he said about Frank being a perfect fit was comparing to himself. Frank enjoyed being in GNR in 2006, he did not.  

on the list of revolving GNR drummers, on the very bottom of it is Frank than NOBODY for miles followed by Brain!

Enough said.

Wanna hear why?  Listen to YCBM or Mr. Brownstone from RamR 2006, that is NOT how those songs should be played.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

on the list of revolving GNR drummers, on the very bottom of it is Frank than NOBODY for miles followed by Brain!

Enough said.

Wanna hear why?  Listen to YCBM or Mr. Brownstone from RamR 2006, that is NOT how those songs should be played.

Hahaha sure. So because he wanted to play it differently, he is incapable. Got it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Hahaha sure. So because he wanted to play it differently, he is incapable. Got it.

I agree. Frank is definitely a very competent drummer. Just because someone doesn't like hist STYLE doesn't mean he cannot do his job. On the other hand his most important partner in the crew - Duff - obviously doesn't or at least didn't like his style. And it speaks volumes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...