Matt Sorum's Autobiography

4 hours ago, Rayno said:

I agree. Frank is definitely a very competent drummer. Just because someone doesn't like hist STYLE doesn't mean he cannot do his job. On the other hand his most important partner in the crew - Duff - obviously doesn't or at least didn't like his style. And it speaks volumes.

We're not sure if what Matt said about Duff is real or if it was just something he said to not affect Matt's ego. 

But you're right about the style. Brain is a super talented musician, capable of playing some really technical stuff, including jazz and fusion. Frank was also capable, from what I can tell, and he's more of a rocker, but he obviously wasn't in the same league as Brain and Josh. To me, Josh's style was the perfect one for the new GNR, and he would be amazing with the NITL line-up too.

Besides, there's absolutely no GNR song released that is that hard to play for a professional drummer AFAIK. 

2 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

I believe Brain actually discussed having a slight regret about bailing from GN'R too early on the Appetite for Distortion podcast with @Gambit83

I believe he did regret. But I think he admitted that he wasn't a good fit for the band.

The (super lengthy) interview I was talking about is this one. It's actually funny how he started the interview saying he was in Japan playing Brazilian samba, which is very random.

There's some time codes on the comments section, the GNR part starts at 01:20:54 .

5 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

and there are millions of someones in this case. imo.

And I am one of them but hey - it doesn't mean he's a bad drummer. He's just not a perfect fit for GNR or doesn't have the right chemistry with Duff.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rayno said:

And I am one of them but hey - it doesn't mean he's a bad drummer. He's just not a perfect fit for GNR or doesn't have the right chemistry with Duff.

Actually he's a good fit for this Karaoke band. You don't need Josh Freese or any other famous drummer to cover the same setlist for over 20 years. any average musician can do this job. so Frank is fit.

Aside from fucking some of Brain's parts in studio tracks, he has written none so I can't judge how he would perform on his own songs. 

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

We're not sure if what Matt said about Duff is real or if it was just something he said to not affect Matt's ego. 

But you're right about the style. Brain is a super talented musician, capable of playing some really technical stuff, including jazz and fusion. Frank was also capable, from what I can tell, and he's more of a rocker, but he obviously wasn't in the same league as Brain and Josh. To me, Josh's style was the perfect one for the new GNR, and he would be amazing with the NITL line-up too.

Besides, there's absolutely no GNR song released that is that hard to play for a professional drummer AFAIK. 

I believe he did regret. But I think he admitted that he wasn't a good fit for the band.

The (super lengthy) interview I was talking about is this one. It's actually funny how he started the interview saying he was in Japan playing Brazilian samba, which is very random.

There's some time codes on the comments section, the GNR part starts at 01:20:54 .

Yeah...well there are still people who think Covid doesn't exist and the Earth is flat...they too heard it from many different sources just like we did about long lost love between Duff and Slash vs Frank.   

What good is it for a GNR fan if someone is good jazz or fusion drummer!?

We need him to have proper timing in You could be mine, not Miles fuckin Davies or Nina Simone.

That doesn't say anything about Miles or Nina, just says that we need proper drummer in a right place.

I am completely ok with that if someone says Steve, Matt, Tico Torres or whoever is a shitty jazz or fusion drummer.  There is a reason someone is in GNR or Miles Davies band. 

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Yeah...well there are still people who think Covid doesn't exist and the Earth is flat...they too heard it from many different sources just like we did about long lost love between Duff and Slash vs Frank.   

What good is it for a GNR fan if someone is good jazz or fusion drummer!?

We need him to have proper timing in You could be mine, not Miles fuckin Davies or Nina Simone.

That doesn't say anything about Miles or Nina, just says that we need proper drummer in a right place.

I am completely ok with that if someone says Steve, Matt, Tico Torres or whoever is a shitty jazz or fusion drummer.  There is a reason someone is in GNR or Miles Davies band. 

So you're just trolling? Ok then. Whatever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 3:13 AM, Rovim said:

I guess Matt didn't understand that all Axl needed was a guitar player and a bass player cause Tommy and Bumble left. DJ quit only cause it was Slash that was back in the band.

To tell Duff that he must go back and insist Matt should be the drummer is one of those things that really show how arrogant he is imo. Duff is not a saint and it did rub me the wrong way when he tried to come up with a silly explanation for It's So Easy or when he said that he didn't know anyone back then who used the word "cunt" and the n word, but I'm not going to hold shit like using common sense against him as a fan and compromise so it can professionally work with Axl and with Slash as well as Gn'R. I would do the same thing.

I don't believe Axl would have agreed to anything more than a live performance here and there with Matt, Steven, or Gilby. Duff agreed to help Slash with a bigger cut. Still cringe worthy sometimes but still comes off as a much better person compared to Matt imo.

And know this because You were at bargaining table.

On 2020-05-05 at 1:41 PM, shotsfired cro said:

on the list of revolving GNR drummers, on the very bottom of it is Frank than NOBODY for miles followed by Brain!

Enough said.

Wanna hear why?  Listen to YCBM or Mr. Brownstone from RamR 2006, that is NOT how those songs should be played.

You mean the two songs he played the "Brain/new Guns" way that he has since reverted to playing properly?

57 minutes ago, Creed said:

He is right, though. The only two songs where i like Brian is on one of the Rhiad leaks and on Atlas. Matt and Adler are so much better.

Steven is the Guns drummer for me (though really I like them all), but I just meant it was a silly example to pick to show Frank playing "wrong" when it was clearly an intentional thing that Brain had started. He has played the patterns in both of those songs correctly since 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news for everyone. We all lose in this one. Loved @Gambit83’s interview with him. I was really looking forward to this release. Give him some time to find a new publisher or if you do pirate it, be sure to buy it if it comes out in the future. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Legal threats by the band?

this might be what happened. The kind of information being revealed in this book is pretty sensitive and puts the relationship between the Big 3 at risk. It deserves to be told and out in the public tho IMO.

• Like 2

I had a strong suspicion this was going to happen or the delayed book would be edited in some way.

Sucks for Matt but I really hope the book becomes available in some shape or form....and if not in the original format....well that becomes available somehow lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Someone here said they've already read an e-version or something - maybe they could spill the beans on some most controversial stuff? 

A synopsis of the most juicy reunion stuff has already been posted in this thread:

On 5/1/2020 at 7:33 AM, adamwolff11 said:

Sure.. so he has an entire chapter on it. He speaks very freely and openly, which is refreshing considering Axl doesn't talk and Duff/Slash couldn't say less in interviews anymore. Here are some quotes/details:

- No specific quote, but he met with Duff in 2015 and Duff said that 'the three partners were talking' referring to him, Slash, and Axl. But he said it was just their lawyers talking. Matt asked him to tell him before he read it online if anything was actually going to happen.

- Matt said Duff was avoiding him once news broke about the reunion. When he talked to him, Duff said 'Well, Axl wants to use his drummer. But the guy can't even play the drums. I've gotta talk to Axl and say I really can't play with this guy'.

- Fernando reached out to him and said 'Hey there bud. How are you? Just reaching out to see how your schedule is looking. Wondering if you're interested in joining the band on a few shows and a few songs. Let me know.' Travel expenses were offered but no money.

- He met with Duff after the reunion had begun and told Duff he had begun hanging out with Izzy again. Duff said 'Fuck Izzy!'. Sorum said 'Well, Izzy says fuck you too'. 

His closing comments on the reunion (after his last meeting with Duff):

What I do know for sure is that our friendship wasn't the only thing that had ended - our twenty-eight year musical partnership was over too. I wouldn't be able to call him or Slash and ask if they wanted to play with me. The GNR machine had taken them back. I knew I wouldn't be able to rely on those guys any longer. For the first time, I felt completely on my own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

22 minutes ago, History2010 said:

this might be what happened. The kind of information being revealed in this book is pretty sensitive and puts the relationship between the Big 3 at risk. It deserves to be told and out in the public tho IMO.

In what grounds? Matt wasn't under nda or contract....if he is telling the truth a lawsuit is not a problem...and even if is not telling the true, the band has not way to sue because is a case of he said, he said. Maybe is a covid related situation, because what I read that was posted here, is mild at best.

• Like 1

I've always wondered how Slash viewed Fortus too...I think earlier someone mentioned one guy they both couldn't stand and the other one was barely tolerated by either Slash or Duff.

Fortus with the fake relic guitars and the generic tattoos just never had the same mojo 

It’s all bullshit. Priorities change in life. It hurts to be in the negative of such a shift, but Matt was considered a douche by most of those guys. He should have respected Duffs choice. He should have offered support and love. Instead, you get a half baked story about how Frank sucks or whatever. Duff isn’t a negative person and he wouldn’t talk poorly of Frank or Izzy.