Jump to content

Matt Sorum's Autobiography


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

The book sounds disappointing. I was expecting a well written book with insights on recording sessions and touring with GNR and VR. Not Stephanie Seymour rubbed my balls. That sets the tone for me. Axl “mean eyes” and “mean aura”. Lol.

 

53 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I would've enjoyed more of that as well, more about the musical aspect of it.

 

 

I think a lot of people want that....those UYI albums were legendary ...to me Slash has one of the best tones of all time on that album.

I'd love to see the recording footage one day released.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I never figured out the spoiler thing (typing this on a phone) so proceed with caution. Here goes on NITL: - Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampire

One strange thing is how Sorum was such a Casanova? He claims to have been touched-up by Stephanie Seymour. He claims Liz Taylor was wanting to shag him. He claims Naomi Campbell molested him. He appa

Let us stop being fanboys and think about a few facts on the NITL tour. Steven made a few appearances but these were not promoted or advertised beforehand. It sounds like he could have had more i

Posted Images

Downloaded it, but haven't read it 

Based on these tidbits and quotes, it's a) going to be an awkward read and b) no wonder they don't want him involved with the reunion.

Telling your side of the truth is one thing, but airing your dirty laundry in public is just kind of embarassing.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Matt even talks shit about Axl's vocal coach, Ron Anderson, calling him a "creepy person" without really elaborating. 

I think the one who comes off the worst in the book is Matt himself. This is a guy who brags about coming up with a "system" for picking up girls backstage and marking the ones who had given blowjobs to crew members so that the band avoided them.

I so agree, the whole thing just sounds shoddy and lacking in any intelligent discourse.  Not for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

The book sounds disappointing. I was expecting a well written book with insights on recording sessions and touring with GNR and VR. Not Stephanie Seymour rubbed my balls. That sets the tone for me. Axl “mean eyes” and “mean aura”. Lol.

He said Axl had a mean aura?

Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^

The exact quote:

Axl could be pretty unnerving when he wanted to be. He had really mean eyes, and though I couldn’t tell you why, just looking into them gave me the cold sweats. He had this kind of demented power, an aura, and it made your skin crawl. 

And this about Slash (before that Matt says that Axl wanted to give him 10% of the publishing for the Illusions, but then Matt was told that Slash didn't agree so he didn't get it):

I later realized that Slash was a real cunning businessman. He played the role of the quiet guy who acts like he’s drunk all the time (or is drunk all the time), but there’s something else going on in the background. He’s a lot smarter than he looks.

Edited by Blackstar
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Matt even talks shit about Axl's vocal coach, Ron Anderson, calling him a "creepy person" without really elaborating. 

I think the one who comes off the worst in the book is Matt himself. This is a guy who brags about coming up with a "system" for picking up girls backstage and marking the ones who had given blowjobs to crew members so that the band avoided them.

If I recall correctly Matt also featured heavily in that Iranian girl's book. His own book does sound to be only a few rungs above that one in terms of tackiness.

Spoiler

the rather unpleasant image of him post abortion muff diving and ending up covered in blood is the thing that stuck in my mind from that book. (Fairly sure that was allegedly Sorum although I recall others were involved too)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

^^^

The exact quote:

Axl could be pretty unnerving when he wanted to be. He had really mean eyes, and though I couldn’t tell you why, just looking into them gave me the cold sweats. He had this kind of demented power, an aura, and it made your skin crawl. 

And this about Slash (before that Matt says that Axl wanted to give him 10% of the publishing for the Illusions, but then Matt was told that Slash didn't agree so he didn't get it):

I later realized that Slash was a real cunning businessman. He played the role of the quiet guy who acts like he’s drunk all the time (or is drunk all the time), but there’s something else going on in the background. He’s a lot smarter than he looks.

Reminds me a bit of an interview I read once

 

"I expected a slurring, drawling knucklehead.

I assumed I'd be getting one-syllable answers, punctuated by grunts and sighs.

Good on guitar, but bad with life, I thought.

 

I read his autobiography years ago, which led me to believe this man might be a right drongo: a snake-collecting former junkie drunk who gets around in tight leather pants and top hat, his mind addled by decades of heavy intoxicants, loud rock'n'roll and the relentless LA sun.

Slash, that is an unfortunate nickname which endlessly evokes the act of going for a pee.

But it turns out he's something of a charmer."

 

 

Didn't Axl call him "seductively cunning" or something like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sackxl said:

Reminds me a bit of an interview I read once

 

"I expected a slurring, drawling knucklehead.

I assumed I'd be getting one-syllable answers, punctuated by grunts and sighs.

Good on guitar, but bad with life, I thought.

 

I read his autobiography years ago, which led me to believe this man might be a right drongo: a snake-collecting former junkie drunk who gets around in tight leather pants and top hat, his mind addled by decades of heavy intoxicants, loud rock'n'roll and the relentless LA sun.

Slash, that is an unfortunate nickname which endlessly evokes the act of going for a pee.

But it turns out he's something of a charmer."

 

 

Didn't Axl call him "seductively cunning" or something like that?

Who said that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished reading Sorum's book, it's by far the best book regarding Guns N' Roses, and the most hilarious too.

It basically confirms what I initially thought: this reunion has been a joke from day one, and Slash & Duff have no honor. Always knew it somehow.

It also confirms what I was wondering about Slash & Duff's feelings about Frank. Now it's clear: they don't like him, they don't judge him appropriate for the band, yet they both signed the contract to get the moneeeey. Great.

Axl may not be depicted completely accurately, it's clear there was never much love between those two, but I found some parts interesting, especially when Matt describes Axl as having a special aura and that he feared him.

I'm just on the fence with the Stephanie Seymour grabbing his balls, and Duff telling Matt she also made out with him. She sure is a very manipulative woman, but this is almost unbelievable. Extremely sad if true.

Great book all around, even if it's not written in the best manners, it goes straight to the point and no one is spared, including Sorum himself. Dead honest rock n' roll book, very fresh to read in 2020.

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Matt even talks shit about Axl's vocal coach, Ron Anderson, calling him a "creepy person" without really elaborating. 

I think the one who comes off the worst in the book is Matt himself. This is a guy who brags about coming up with a "system" for picking up girls backstage and marking the ones who had given blowjobs to crew members so that the band avoided them.

:lol: picking girls out of acrowd so theband could "meet" them backstage has been a thing since zeppelin in the 70s. Van halen, the crue mention in their autobiographies they do similar things. Hell even in metallicas "a year a half in the life of"movie , metallicas live sound engineer was showing photos of previous girls on the road the band have had including mother daughter combos. So its nothing new. Being young , and making lots of money touring and having what they want, was a way of being for GNR. Especially during the illusions tour, they were the last band of their kind.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alfierose said:

the rather unpleasant image of him post abortion muff diving and ending up covered in blood is the thing that stuck in my mind from that book. (Fairly sure that was allegedly Sorum although I recall others were involved too)

That wasn't Matt. It was the Buckcherry guys.

When she was with Matt she was on her period. A lot of bloody incidents in that book.

Edited by Scream of the Butterfly
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There are some (not many) new bits of information in the book. He mentions the song for the Jackie Chan movie as a song Axl had. Rick Rubin was going to be the producer at the time and he liked the song. It was only instrumental, and according to Matt Rubin asked Axl if there were lyrics, Axl said "No", Rubin turned away and left, and Axl then fired him.

Interesting! It does appear that Hard School was written during the 94-96 session then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt tells a a story of hanging out with Lars l who he was friends with from The Cult opening for Metallica. In the story, Matt is new to GNR, hanging with Lars and Lars implored Matt to fall Axl. Axl invites them to his apartment. Lars mentions getting some coke. Axl says he has a guy. An hour later the door buzzed, Matt answered and there was a 60 year old Jewish orthodox rabbi with a package for Axl. I laughed at this story. Could you imagine Axl knowing someone like that?

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone for posting information about what the book stated. As others have said, I would have prefer something with a  musical  tone to it like describing Use Your Illusion. From what I am perceiving based on others, it seems a bit too gossipy and Matt comes off as a jerk. So far, it seems like It's So Easy was the best GNR book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D.. said:

I'm just on the fence with the Stephanie Seymour grabbing his balls, and Duff telling Matt she also made out with him. She sure is a very manipulative woman, but this is almost unbelievable. Extremely sad if true.

I thought that was hilarious. I felt really sorry for Erin because I think she wanted nothing more than a monogamous relationship and was really hurt by Axl cheating on her. Good to know that Stephanie wasn't the same way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Thanks to everyone for posting information about what the book stated. As others have said, I would have prefer something with a  musical  tone to it like describing Use Your Illusion. From what I am perceiving based on others, it seems a bit too gossipy and Matt comes off as a jerk. So far, it seems like It's So Easy was the best GNR book. 

Matt relates a story of recording Breakdown that is kinda cool. Slash and Duff couldn’t figure it out and left Matt at the studio. Axl eventually a come much later and they still can’t figure it out. Eventually Axl storms off, returns and Axl and Matt finish the song. Duff and Slash later tack on their parts. Matt also says Slash did most of the solos and separate studio and wouldn’t let anyone watch him record because he was nervous. And that Slash played his solos with his face to a wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...