Matt Sorum's Autobiography

Read from his phone call with "Slush" onwards. I'll go back on the part leading up to that tomorrow.

Some bits that stuck with me..

Axl comes across pretty ok despite all that's said.

Claims Izzy wrote 70% of the tunes.

He bitched about coma and locomotive.  He didn't understand why they had to be so long.... 

Lemmy knew Duff wasn't punk as fuck (didn't want him to guest with Motorhead while Matt covered for Mickey Dee)

Slash is a snake money wise.

Matt never got past 16 sexually

Talks very little about the recording of the illusions or any of the song writing

It was the trio of Axl Duff Slash from the get go in the reunion. The rest were treated as a nice to have it seems. 

The rnr hall of fame piece makes him look like an arsehole.

Axl smoking heroin on the illusions tour!!! WTF!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

:lol: picking girls out of acrowd so theband could "meet" them backstage has been a thing since zeppelin in the 70s. Van halen, the crue mention in their autobiographies they do similar things. Hell even in metallicas "a year a half in the life of"movie , metallicas live sound engineer was showing photos of previous girls on the road the band have had including mother daughter combos. So its nothing new. Being young , and making lots of money touring and having what they want, was a way of being for GNR. Especially during the illusions tour, they were the last band of their kind.

That one dude was creepy asf

Kinda interesting the stories about Metallica come out when they played down the "anti" Rockstar thing over the years

• Like 2

Just read an excerpt from the book on another site that says Axl wanted to cancel  the release of the Estranged video and “the rest of the tour” after the dolphin from the video died. I thought the video for that song was filmed AFTER the tour had already ended, no?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, djones1225 said:

After reading Matt's book, I realized how greedy Slash has been since the beginning. In all honesty Slash n Duff are cucks of W. Axl Rose, lost all the respect I had left for them today. 

Slash being Just as motivated by money and materialism as Axl & Duff Should come as no surprise.

Slash end Velvet Revolver because he didn’t need them.  It was more lucrative to do his own thing under his name with hired guns

Edited by Top-Hatted One

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Just read an excerpt from the book on another site that says Axl wanted to cancel  the release of the Estranged video and “the rest of the tour” after the dolphin from the video died. I thought the video for that song was filmed AFTER the tour had already ended, no?

What site?  This wasn't in the book I read :lol:

Maybe I missed it, but wasn’t it odd that Matt didn’t write about the encounter he and Axl had in 2006, where they supposedly ran into each other at a party, hung out all night, and Axl drove him home? That would’ve been interesting.

the rest is mostly just gossipy and goofy. Entertaining, but...very petty and spiteful too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sackxl said:

That one dude was creepy asf

Kinda interesting the stories about Metallica come out when they played down the "anti" Rockstar thing over the years

They did act like true rock stars in that movie. Yeah i think if metallica rerelease AYAAHITLO they would edit some shit out. Will be interesting if they rerelease it for the black album 30th aniversary next year. I thought it was creepy to but im sure the band watched the whole thing before signing off on its release back in the day. I suppose though whats acceptable then isnt really now.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Yeah the dolphin thing is not from the book.

Someone on gnfnr decided to write their own fake excerpts which is really easy to do considering how sophmoric and amateurish the writing style is.   And the fact that each "chapter" is basically a paragraph or two.  Can't believe it took Matt and TWO ghost writers to get this down.  Seems like it could have easily been written over the course of a long weekend.   Maybe it was.

I thought it was funny that Matt claimed that there was some kind of green rabbit creature stalking him when he was coked up out of his mind.....didn't  Slash also get chased by some demon animal when he was all high in his book, that led to him smashing through a glass wall naked in Hawaii?

Don't do drugs, kids.

I haven't finished, yet I have mixed feelings for this book.

It clearly gave us a new perspective on the 91-94 Guns N' Roses Era, more infos to fill up the blanks, details that never got to see the light of day, and one thing that's fuckin' amazing is that, at least for once, someone in the old band just hits the fan with tons of shit, instead of being "wishy-washy" when speaking about that era. 
Slash, In 94 or 95 I believe, got interviewed and said that Axl co-wrote "Beggars and Hangers on" with him, and they're were cool, AND WE KNOW THAT THEY'RE WERE NEVER COOL.
Matt just goes and says : "Slash and Duff can't handle problems" / "Axl is a spoiled child".
BUM. Straight in the face. No fancy words, just plain truth (Very Norwegian I must say, as he mentions at least 3 times in 2 fuckin' paragraphs that he has norwegian ancestors.)

Anyway,

If this book is to be believed, and axl is really this kinda of a pain in the ass, and If Slash and Duff are this passive, and slash is this 'money snake' who goes around naming bands with his own name without asking the others, 
Then i'm no longer interested in their personalities, and maybe, only in their music.

I'm yet to finish, and i'm yet to decide if i'm going to continue reading.

"One who eats the fruit of knowledge, is always expelled from some paradise."

Edited by NeonKinight
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I've known from the first time I saw a photo of these guys in 1988 that they were a pack of scumbags and not people I should aspire to be like.   Didn't make the music any less awesome.

If you really think this pack of drugged out sex-fiend degenerates are/were "nice" guys, and you want to preserve that idea of "their personalities" then yeah, don't read the book.

In fact, don't read any books or articles about them.  This shit is hardly news.  These guys really are assholes.

WOW a bit harsh especially when (assuming here) you dont know these guys from kingdom come and everything you think you do know is written by folk with multiple agendas.  Also 'walk in their shoes' for a while dont you think before judging what it is like to be rock star with everything that goes with it most especially drugs and sex, a young bloke is unlikely to say no so dont blame them for that.  Hell give them a break.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

WOW a bit harsh especially when (assuming here) you dont know these guys from kingdom come and everything you think you do know is written by folk with multiple agendas.  Also 'walk in their shoes' for a while dont you think before judging what it is like to be rock star with everything that goes with it most especially drugs and sex, a young bloke is unlikely to say no so dont blame them for that.  Hell give them a break.

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with some white knight that thinks these guys are something they're not.

I suppose all their arrests which are a matter of public record are "fake" and that they were just "misunderstood?"

Grow up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

:lol: picking girls out of acrowd so theband could "meet" them backstage has been a thing since zeppelin in the 70s. Van halen, the crue mention in their autobiographies they do similar things. Hell even in metallicas "a year a half in the life of"movie , metallicas live sound engineer was showing photos of previous girls on the road the band have had including mother daughter combos. So its nothing new. Being young , and making lots of money touring and having what they want, was a way of being for GNR. Especially during the illusions tour, they were the last band of their kind.

Have you read the excerpt from Matt's book?

I know it's not new and I already knew GnR did it, but Matt's particular "system" and the way he brags about it are disgusting - and kind of hilarious at the same time, only because Matt comes across as a big douche.

39 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

Slash, In 94 or 95 I believe, got interviewed and said that Axl co-wrote "Beggars and Hangers on" with him, and they're were cool, AND WE KNOW THAT THEY'RE WERE NEVER COOL.

Slash never said anything along these lines, as far as I know. He said that Beggars... was Eric Dover's tryout song and he wrote the lyrics, and that Slash and Dover co-wrote most of the lyrics on Snakepit. Later Slash would say that a lot of the Snakepit lyrics were his and Dover was used as a "filter". 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Axl smoking heroin on the illusions tour!!! WTF!

There is a similar story in Sebastian Bach's book. Sebastian was looking for weed, but the dealer said he only had a ball of opium, so he bought that but didn't know what to do with it. Until that point Bas begged Axl to let him on the GnR plane and Axl said no, but as soon as he told him about the opium, Axl said "Get on the fuckin' plane."

Axl himself mentioned it on stage: "I’ve been trying to be like the pretty good (?), but then I find myself on an airplane smoking opium with Sebastian". [Richfield, OH, June 6, 1991]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A part that I found interesting is when Matt offers an explanation on why Axl wanted to take control of the band, saying it had to do with Slash disappearing to play with Michael Jackson and other people and that Axl was kind of right to be pissed off about that. 

• GNFNR 2

19 minutes ago, chinese stew said:

I'm reading the Stephanie Seymour part.....WTF................. 

If Duff didn't come clean before the reunion, I can't imagine what's going down.

More n more I think Matt's book can end this reunion.

Only if what he's saying is actually true, which it very well might not be, and also only if Axl still gives a shit.

I've never met Stephanie Seymour and never will, but I have seen women do shit like that, so I for one, believe him.  Some women are just fucked up, same as men.  I've actually sat at a table with a couple and the woman started rubbing the crotch of the guy next to her, a complete stranger, while the man was oblivious.  Or was he?   I've always wondered if he knew she was doing it and was some kink he was in on.  If this crotch rubbing really occurred in the GNR world, it's possible that Axl was very aware and turned on by it for some reason.   Or maybe he'd have lost his mind and beat the shit out of everyone involved.

Or maybe it's all complete bullshit.   We'll never know.

Edited by estrangedtwat

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with some white knight that thinks these guys are something they're not.

I suppose all their arrests which are a matter of public record are "fake" and that they were just "misunderstood?"

Grow up.

A white nightess;)  No argument here, just my point of view that unless you knoww somebody etc dont judge, thats all.

It was reported in some magazine in the early 90s that Stephanie made a move on Slash while she was with Axl. Never knew whether that was true or not but it's certainly consistent with what Matt is telling us now.

In any case, I think it's quite incredible if Axl was completely oblivious to this side of Stephanie. And why would he hold it against Duff what Stephanie did all those years ago?