Matt Sorum's Autobiography

I was surprised by the quality of this book, it looked more like a draft than a finished product, it was quite disappointing since Gilby said that Matt was the one that remembered things more accurately than anyone. I honestly expected more from it.

Matt spent more time explaining the process of changing the name of one of his girlfriends than detailing the songs and albums he worked on, not even the Neurotic Outsiders which he seemed so proud to have been part of. His timeline was also not consistent and made some stories seem rushed.

To me some interesting points were:

He summed up Dizzy's longevity with the band very well: "What other rock n' roll bands are looking for a piano player?" And also painted a good light on him, being a party animal and fucking ten women at a time, not that it actually matters but it was cool that someone other than him would be seen in such "positive" way regarding partying and stuff like that.

An alleged meeting of the band in '96 in which Axl and Slash had an argument that ended up with Slash quitting the band. Personally, this one seems weird to me since it seemed that the problems of the band were not having everybody in the same room at the same time.

He made me want a book written by Axl and Izzy, they must have have some great stories.

It was hilarious and a fun read during this quarantine, however it all must be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I get the feeling Matt was always the Jason Newstead of any band he was in with Slash 

This, except Matt saw himself as Lars while in the respective band followed by Dave Mustain when in reality he's Newstead.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, Swampfox said:

I hope Dizzy puts out a book someday.  Old Guns, Nu Guns, and the reunion.  He's got the most complete story anyone can tell.

Lmao Dizzy. Dude can’t even tell the truth about anything Guns related in any interview he’s ever given. He’s the definition of a yes man. Don’t hold your breath on that one 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Lmao Dizzy. Dude can’t even tell the truth about anything Guns related in any interview he’s ever given. He’s the definition of a yes man. Don’t hold your breath on that one 

If he out lives Axl he'll be free to tell his story.  I didn't want to say it but that's what I was getting at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

I was surprised by the quality of this book, it looked more like a draft than a finished product, it was quite disappointing since Gilby said that Matt was the one that remembered things more accurately than anyone. I honestly expected more from it.

Matt spent more time explaining the process of changing the name of one of his girlfriends than detailing the songs and albums he worked on, not even the Neurotic Outsiders which he seemed so proud to have been part of. His timeline was also not consistent and made some stories seem rushed.

I agree, would've been nice to have more details about the music and stuff that people would want to know more about.

I enjoyed it, easy read.

One thing

In his memory of the St Louis riot and driving to Chicago, there's no, and hasn't ever been, waffle House in Bloomington, IL.

Small point, but if you want to name drop an Illinois city, be accurate about it.

Also, reading this I'm 100% convinced the slash letter where he called Duff spineless, etc, is legit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

Does Matt say anything about the Hollywood Vampires in the book? It seems he was also quietly shown the door and replaced with a session veteran (Glen Sobel) so I'd be curious about his thoughts there. My hunch is that he wanted to be a full member and not just a hired gun, but Alice, Johnny, and Joe didn't feel the same way.

I started reading the GNR parts. The only thing I’ve come across with the vampires so far is Matt was mad that he wasn’t highlighted as a “real” member so to speak. He said he and a Duff were sort of miffed to be considered hired hands relegated to the background when in some instances they were more popular and recognizable to fans from their Guns work. 

Matt says he got Duff the bass gig for the Vampires.

He said Duff quit the Vampires to go back to GNR (without telling him) and Duff supposedly didn’t want to be photographed with Sorum on some red carpet show where they were there as part of the Vampires. Alice, Johnny, and Joe walked in just those three. Duff chose to walk the red carpet with his family, not with Matt. Matt said it was because Duff was afraid to be photographed with him. I think intimating he didn’t want Axl to get angry about it or some shift. I don’t remember. 

Seems to be a theme with Matt; not wanting to play second fiddle. He states elsewhere he was pissed after some shows on the Illusions tour, because after the final bow by the entire band, Axl, Duff, and Slash would go out for a second now, just those three. He pouted about it and was told by a Slash, (paraphrasing) well, we’re the ones who started the band. Izzy had already been replaced by Gilby. 

Edited by GnR Chris

This book might be the first time I've heard that even Dizzy was looking to jump ship in the mid-90s. He has been commended by some for his loyalty and sticking with Axl through those tough times but it looks like he just couldn't find another band to join so he never left. 

I was pretty disappointed that Matt didn't shed nearly any light on his feud with Scott Weiland. He probably didn't want to speak ill of a dead man but I was interested in learning more about that and the breakup of VR.

Edited by History2010

1 hour ago, Walapino said:

Read it, found it hilarious really. The Cult section was cool, just saw he isnt following duff, slash or gnr on twitter. I dont get why he insisted so much on being part of the reunion, its steven place anyway.

Considering Izzy is not there, it's his as much as it is Steven's.

7 minutes ago, History2010 said:

but it looks like he just couldn't find another band to join so he never left. 

Yeah. That. There is nothing to commend there. He has no options and he plays it safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Makes axl look like such a cuck. SS dates axl for 2 years, rubs matts balls tries to get with duff and axl is still writing love songs about her in the 00s. 

I don’t understand why everyone thinks the songs are about Steph Seymour, he dated women after her and could have been in a stable relationship with some chick after 1993 that went longer than 2 years.  I remember that he was with the chick from the SIDHY video.

• Like 2

Such a good read, just started it.  I feel like he would be burning bridges with Slash and duff with  this book.  Especially when duff didn't air any dirt in his book.

Thoughts? 

43 minutes ago, History2010 said:

This book might be the first time I've heard that even Dizzy was looking to jump ship in the mid-90s. He has been commended by some for his loyalty and sticking with Axl through those tough times but it looks like he just couldn't find another band to join so he never left. 

I was pretty disappointed that Matt didn't shed nearly any light on his feud with Scott Weiland. He probably didn't want to speak ill of a dead man but I was interested in learning more about that and the breakup of VR.

Damn, I was looking forward to getting some answers re:VR

14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I wonder if the part about him comforting Axl right before the first post-riot show is true... doesn’t “feel” true to me. Feels like something out of a movie.

I remember Axl saying once Matt came up to him once when he was feeling down before a show telling him it was alright and everything was gonna be ok

So far I'm thinking this might be one of the most honest books about GNR! :o

2 minutes ago, sackxl said:

I remember Axl saying once Matt came up to him once when he was feeling down before a show telling him it was alright and everything was gonna be ok

So far I'm thinking this might be one of the most honest books about GNR! :o

Oh ok. That adds up with the story described in the book then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

I don’t understand why everyone thinks the songs are about Steph Seymour, he dated women after her and could have been in a stable relationship with some chick after 1993 that went longer than 2 years.  I remember that he was with the chick from the SIDHY video.

Mostly because Axl said it.

1 hour ago, axlinkafayette said:

In his memory of the St Louis riot and driving to Chicago, there's no, and hasn't ever been, waffle House in Bloomington, IL.

Small point, but if you want to name drop an Illinois city, be accurate about it.

Matt also conflates two different incidents that happened months away from each other: escaping Missouri to Illinois after the riot and Axl escaping Chicago to avoid arrest. The latter happened in April 1992, when they played a show in Chicago and cancelled the next one because they found out that Axl was going to be arrested. There were no charges filed against Axl right after the riot, the charges were filed about a month later and the arrest warrant some more months later after Axl didn't go to St. Louis to face the charges.

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Where does he say it (min. mark?) I've actually transcribed this interview and didn't hear him say anything like this:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4085-1995-01-dd-much-music-interview-with-slash-and-eric-dover

1:55 minutes on : Right before he mentions his singer (2:17) he talks about Axl, which is surprisingly, **not in your transcription**, He mentions that he gave "Axl was going to play it, but an.... the song called beggars and hangers on" to "him" - "Axl was going to play it , but an...the song called beggars and hangers on, we gave him the material, the music, and he wrote beggars and hangers on, and it was like cool, that's deal"

20 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

1:55 minutes on : Right before he mentions his singer (2:17) he talks about Axl, which is surprisingly, **not in your transcription**, He mentions that he gave "Axl was going to play it, but an.... the song called beggars and hangers on" to "him" - "Axl was going to play it , but an...the song called beggars and hangers on, we gave him the material, the music, and he wrote beggars and hangers on, and it was like cool, that's deal"

Oh. He doesn't say "Axl", he says "Actually we're gonna play it" (meaning later at the show).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sackxl said:

I don't think anyone in that band is tbh

Duffs "investing" success came more for where he was located (amazon/starbucks etc) than skills :D

Actually didnt duffs brother tell him to invest in those companies?. When it comes to investing duff isnt exactly warren buffet.