Matt Sorum's Autobiography

11 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I’d be interested to read that too. Slash denied the whole story at first but backtracked eventually. Scott and Matt bashed Axl in the press while sticking up for Slash. I would think they eventually realized the story was probably true. Maybe Matt didn’t want to highlight that Slash “hates” him.

Yeah, being hated by one of the most famous guitarists and music icons in the world wouldn't be a good look for Sorum and his overblown ego.

It makes perfect sense to me that Sorum wouldn't want to draw attention to the fact that Slash apparently said he hates him.

9 hours ago, MurielWeathers said:

My question is WHY did he want to marry her so badly?

Apart from the Beta quote @Blackstar posted, Axl also used to believe (or maybe still believes) in a lot of weird shit. Past lives and destiny and so on. I always figured the situation with Seymour - a young single mother with a 2 year old son to which he was going to be a stepfather - might have been closely reminiscent of his own family situation and childhood to him. Maybe he saw it as fate or something and a chance to right past wrongs/do better than his own parents. Might also explain why he was so hung about the kid, even many years later (as shown by another quote posted earlier in this thread). Wouldn't surprise me at least if he sort of saw himself in Dylan, his mother in Seymour etc.

Also, while I personally find Seymor ugly as hell (both on the outside and inside) and think Erin was way hotter, there is no denying that Seymour would have been the trophy wife to end all trophy wifes. To an insecure guy like Axl (who "never got no pussy" when he was younger, according to Izzy), marrying one of the most desirable women of the day would have seemed like the ultimate prize.

Edited by loke212
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah..the whole thing feels cold and calculated, heart- and soulless. 

Considering theres fuck all interaction between slash and axl on stage compared to the earlier years it says alot, or not much about all this coming together for the right reasons. Actually theres more interaction from axl to slash then the other way around. Axl sitting next to slash, walking over to him onstage and even visiting backstage before showtime. Slash looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

12 minutes ago, loke212 said:

Yeah, being hated by one of the most famous guitarists and music icons in the world wouldn't be a good look for Sorum and his overblown ego.

It makes perfect sense to me that Sorum wouldn't want to draw attention to the fact that Slash apparently said he hates him.

Apart from the Beta quote @Blackstar posted, Axl also used to believe (or maybe still believes) in a lot of weird shit. Past lives and destiny and so on. I always figured the situation with Seymour - a young single mother with a 2 year old son to which he was going to be a stepfather - might have been closely reminiscent of his own family situation and childhood to him. Maybe he saw it as fate or something and a chance to right past wrongs/do better than his own parents. Might also explain why he was so hung about the kid, even many years later (as shown by another quote posted earlier in this thread). Wouldn't surprise me at least if he sort of saw himself in Dylan, his mother in Seymour etc.

Also, while I personally find Seymor ugly as hell (both on the outside and inside) and think Erin was way hotter, there is no denying that Seymour would have been the trophy wife to end all trophy wifes. To an insecure guy like Axl (who "never got no pussy" when he was younger, according to Izzy), marrying one of the most desirable women of the day would have seemee like the ultimate prize.

I  think axl wanted to marry her as a way of keeping her to himself, and as a way of keeping interested guys away.

Edited by Sydney Fan

16 minutes ago, loke212 said:

Also, while I personally find Seymor ugly as hell (both on the outside and inside) and think Erin was way hotter, there is no denying that Seymour would have been the trophy wife to end all trophy wifes. To an insecure guy like Axl (who "never got no pussy" when he was younger, according to Izzy), marrying one of the most desirable women of the day would have seemee like the ultimate prize.

In terms of the first paragraph it makes it sound like he was wanting stephanie as a way of saving him and thats not how a relationship should be. With all of axls emotional baggage i think a relationship was never going to work for the right reasons.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, EvanG said:

You don't know these people at all! Stop making assumptions and acting like you have them all figured out because you know as little as anyone else here.

Well said mate, so many experts here that know enough to judge other people because they read in a magazine some shit. 

Only those involved truly know. For the rest of us we can read and wonder, and simply enjoy the entertainment value of it all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Well said mate, so many experts here that know enough to judge other people because they read in a magazine some shit. 

Only those involved truly know. For the rest of us we can read and wonder, and simply enjoy the entertainment value of it all.

True. I really wish all gnr members would do a book like the crues the dirt. Covering all facets of the era with input from all band members.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Gilby said on Riki Rachtman's podcast a while ago that, although he hung out with Slash during the UYI tour, and then they played and toured together with Snakepit, they never had a brotherly relationship - he said GnR, as he experienced it during the tour, was never a brotherhood and the only people who've had this kind of relationship are Slash and Duff. So he was basically saying that Slash is not someone he would expect loyalty from. Maybe Matt believed otherwise up to a point.

I'm surprised that Matt doesn't mention anything in the book about Slash's visit to Axl's house in 2005. I would be curious to read his take on that.

I remember blackstar slash said in the press that it was bullshit and i think in duffs book, slashs story changed a few times to the VR band. I dont know if slash ever came clean on why he was at axls.........

17 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I remember blackstar slash said in the press that it was bullshit and i think in duffs book, slashs story changed a few times to the VR band. I dont know if slash ever came clean on why he was at axls.........

Right after the press release from Axl's lawyer referring to that came out, "sources" from VR said that a reply from Slash was imminent within the next few days. Finally Slash replied about two months later denying everything (meanwhile, Scott had posted an anti-Axl rant/letter on the VR website, which was removed a few days later, Duff had made a neutral public comment, and Axl and Matt had run into each other in a bar and talked). About a year later, Scott claimed that Axl was sending messages to him through Matt. Beta made a statement denying Scott's claims, and also said that it was her Slash had talked and said those things to. Then Slash partly changed the story and admitted that he had been to Axl's house, but denied he had said those things (he said he only had given Beta a note for Axl regarding settling a lawsuit). In his book he added that he was drunk that night.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I find disgusting that Beta talk about the Axl's and Seymour relationships in such poor taste. She seem my neighboring of the next door. She isn't seem be management of an great band.

She wasn't manager when she gave that interview though (it was in 2001, when her position was described as "Axl's personal assistant").

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

She wasn't manager when she gave that interview though (it was in 2001, when her position was described as "Axl's personal assistant").

I know it, but still if she was "Axl's personal assistant" you not need reveal in such poor form the Axl's private life. I guess she have free pass by Axl's part.

13 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I know it, but still if she was "Axl's personal assistant" you not need reveal in such poor form the Axl's private life. I guess she have free pass by Axl's part.

Yeah, she did those interviews in Brazil and Axl may not have known what she said exactly (although some of them were translated into English and posted on GnR fansites). This one was with an online women's magazine in Brazil.

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think in his book Slash said that his then wife Perla persuaded him to go to Axl's house. I mean he makes it look like it was Perla's idea

On 2020-06-06 at 8:52 PM, MaskingApathy said:

He talks about it but there isn't any mention of him being told to leave. Where did you hear that? I thought he had just left on his own.

If I remember correctly it was just one of those typical trash publications like Alternative Nation speculating about Sobel coming in but based on what we know about Matt it seemed like it might have some weight to it.

On 2020-06-06 at 11:35 PM, GnR Chris said:

I started reading the GNR parts. The only thing I’ve come across with the vampires so far is Matt was mad that he wasn’t highlighted as a “real” member so to speak. He said he and a Duff were sort of miffed to be considered hired hands relegated to the background when in some instances they were more popular and recognizable to fans from their Guns work. 

Matt says he got Duff the bass gig for the Vampires.

He said Duff quit the Vampires to go back to GNR (without telling him) and Duff supposedly didn’t want to be photographed with Sorum on some red carpet show where they were there as part of the Vampires. Alice, Johnny, and Joe walked in just those three. Duff chose to walk the red carpet with his family, not with Matt. Matt said it was because Duff was afraid to be photographed with him. I think intimating he didn’t want Axl to get angry about it or some shift. I don’t remember. 

Seems to be a theme with Matt; not wanting to play second fiddle. He states elsewhere he was pissed after some shows on the Illusions tour, because after the final bow by the entire band, Axl, Duff, and Slash would go out for a second now, just those three. He pouted about it and was told by a Slash, (paraphrasing) well, we’re the ones who started the band. Izzy had already been replaced by Gilby. 

Thanks for posting! So it seems like there may have been some truth to the Vampires stuff. It sounds like he didn't get the axe so to speak but left when it was clear he wasn't going to be more than a touring musician.

I think what you posted about Matt not wanting to be second fiddle is right on the money. Matt's ego gets the best of him it seems, probably rooted in the fact that he typically joins existing bands so their success is not down to him being a part of building the foundation. He just longs for that sort of status, I guess.

Was it Duff who said in his book that "Matt is the drummer who wanted to be the singer" or something to that effect? I'd say that's definitely a good analogy.

• Like 1

Just finished the book:

- it's a good and fun read. Probably also because the chapters are very short, which is also a part of the negative side of this book. It doesn't have any depth like Duff's book which is still the best one of the bunch. Matt is just telling one cliche rock n roll story after another without really going into detail (emotionally aswell)

- some stories he told are very weird and I don't get why it's necessary to have them in the book. For example the time he kissed a guy at a bar. How is that interesting while leaving out the entire 1993 tour from gnr. Or the slash going over to axls house thing.

- matt tries to come off as the big superhero who solved every problem while the others were a bit too dumb. Doesn't really sound realistic at times and doesn't make him look very likeable.

- the teaching Bach how to eat a girl's ass part is just out of this world and weird. Why the need to tell that?

- I understand his sentiment regarding the reunion, not sure if I can believe Duff would throw frank under the bus though. 

- some timelines are weird and the book needed another glance before releasing it. It's not very well written. 

- I finally get the inside joke why Axl introduced gilby as "the man with the new Corvette" in Tokyo 92

- how can he not tell the story where he met Axl in 2006?

- all in all the book feels a bit rushed. Could've taken some more time to include more stories. But it's a fun read.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, Ratam said:

She didn't say anything negative about Axl, though. It was all praise for Axl while she did her best to depict Stephanie as a horrible person.

1 hour ago, Creed said:

That's why he suffered from depression. He instantly knew: Shit, i will never top Steph.

Now you claim that you know about Axl's depression? Incredible, I have underestimated you. I thought Blackstar knew a lot about GnR, but you are the real deal.

25 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Just finished the book:

- it's a good and fun read. Probably also because the chapters are very short, which is also a part of the negative side of this book. It doesn't have any depth like Duff's book which is still the best one of the bunch. Matt is just telling one cliche rock n roll story after another without really going into detail (emotionally aswell)

- some stories he told are very weird and I don't get why it's necessary to have them in the book. For example the time he kissed a guy at a bar. How is that interesting while leaving out the entire 1993 tour from gnr. Or the slash going over to axls house thing.

- matt tries to come off as the big superhero who solved every problem while the others were a bit too dumb. Doesn't really sound realistic at times and doesn't make him look very likeable.

- the teaching Bach how to eat a girl's ass part is just out of this world and weird. Why the need to tell that?

- I understand his sentiment regarding the reunion, not sure if I can believe Duff would throw frank under the bus though. 

- some timelines are weird and the book needed another glance before releasing it. It's not very well written. 

- I finally get the inside joke why Axl introduced gilby as "the man with the new Corvette" in Tokyo 92

- how can he not tell the story where he met Axl in 2006?

- all in all the book feels a bit rushed. Could've taken some more time to include more stories. But it's a fun read.

- The story where he met Axl in the 2000s 
- Slash banging on Axl’s door in 2000s 
- Izzy filling in for Gilby in 93 
- The end of the 93 tour 
- Spaghetti sessions 
- SFTD sessions 
All this stuff is missing. 

However, I don’t think Duff threw Frank under the bus – it was just a private conversation after all. In fact, it was Matt who now threw Duff under the bus by publishing it, when you think about it. 
In general, I think they might have been quite a bunch of friends even with Slash in the 2000s, but Matt got butthurt a lot by not having been included in the reunion. So he’s burning the bridges. 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

- The end of the 93 tour 
- Spaghetti sessions 
- SFTD sessions 

However, I don’t think Duff threw Frank under the bus – it was just a private conversation after all. In fact, it was Matt who now threw Duff under the bus by publishing it, when you think about it. 
In general, I think they might have been quite a bunch of friends even with Slash in the 2000s, but Matt got butthurt a lot by not having been included in the reunion. So he’s burning the bridges. 

I agree with him being butthurt. He longs for credit of starting something rather than joining something already successful. But even in VR he was overshadowed by Slash and Duff and Weiland.

Unfortunately, Matt’s book is very surface-level. Breezy read but never goes into emotional detail. Just anecdote after anecdote. I wanted to know more about writing sessions after Illusions up till he was fired. He also sort of glossed over the snakepit parts in regards to the timeline. Only stopping to say he co-write all the songs then demanded Slash remove him from the album. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

If I remember correctly it was just one of those typical trash publications like Alternative Nation speculating about Sobel coming in but based on what we know about Matt it seemed like it might have some weight to it.

Thanks for posting! So it seems like there may have been some truth to the Vampires stuff. It sounds like he didn't get the axe so to speak but left when it was clear he wasn't going to be more than a touring musician.

I think what you posted about Matt not wanting to be second fiddle is right on the money. Matt's ego gets the best of him it seems, probably rooted in the fact that he typically joins existing bands so their success is not down to him being a part of building the foundation. He just longs for that sort of status, I guess.

Was it Duff who said in his book that "Matt is the drummer who wanted to be the singer" or something to that effect? I'd say that's definitely a good analogy.

I think it was drummer who wanted to be a frontman.

Glen Sobel was brought in because he's Alice's touring drummer, and the funny part is that if Matt hadn't called Shep Gordon and asked for the gig it probably would've been Glen there all along.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I agree with him being butthurt. He longs for credit of starting something rather than joining something already successful. But even in VR he was overshadowed by Slash and Duff and Weiland.

Unfortunately, Matt’s book is very surface-level. Breezy read but never goes into emotional detail. Just anecdote after anecdote. I wanted to know more about writing sessions after Illusions up till he was fired. He also sort of glossed over the snakepit parts in regards to the timeline. Only stopping to say he co-write all the songs then demanded Slash remove him from the album. 

Right, and to me, this is adding even more to the butthurt theory - as if he didn't want to give Slash and Duff or Guns in general too much credit, focusing rather on other stuff. We all know GNR was what made him famous, and therefore there definitely could have been more of this material. Still, cool book to read (I've skipped the initial part though; maybe later). 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Glen Sobel was brought in because he's Alice's touring drummer, and the funny part is that if Matt hadn't called Shep Gordon and asked for the gig it probably would've been Glen there all along.

Yep. But actually it also was Glen who played on the first album. So it was Glen's gig all along, Matt just jumped in for that first tour.

Edited by PatrickS77

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

- The end of the 93 tour 
- Spaghetti sessions 
- SFTD sessions 

Are you referring to him meeting with Axl in 2006? For anyone not familiar, here is the story:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-hangs-out-with-axl-rose-in-new-york-city/

Reason I ask is because in 06 Matt said he hadn’t seen Axl for 6 years, so quite intrigued to know what happened when they met in 2000! Hadn’t heard any info on that before.

16 hours ago, MurielWeathers said:

Yeah, SS was majorly into coke. It wouldn't surprise me if any of it was true. She supposedly touch Matt's balls when they were in a limo and Axl was looking out the window talking to someone. Has anyone ever found it funny that Erin is EE and Stephanie is SS?

The Evil Empire and the Schutzstaffel. That's why Axl believed these two wanted to kill him in a previous life. :lol: