Matt Sorum's Autobiography

2 hours ago, loke212 said:

Oh wow, that's really cool. Thanks for your work!

No, he was not, only Duff. That alone could be seen as an indication that things between Slash and Matt weren't that friendly and close. If a good buddy of yours gets married, you would usually attend his wedding unless you've got a really good reason not to.

Gilby n wife were there. Duff n wife were there with ,don't forget, Duff was one of Matt's groomsmen. Slash, not contradicting you, was not there thus we know, but maybe he had real legit reason. Certainly he was invited.                                                                             With Duff and Matt being on good terms, " friends" up until NITL and he wanted Duff to put in a good word  in Axl's ear about bringing him on board, I can see why Matt is piszed. No. Bitter. Angry with and ax to grind. No. Sour? No.lol.  How about just real . It happened.  He took  the knife out of  his back and put it  back in Duff's back- the Izzy , Frank stuff Matt said  Duff said. Whew.

Edited by Amaya

6 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

I lost count of how many times Matt loses his shit at not being treated as an equal. It was one of the running themes throughout the book

The big GNR 3 going for an extra bow after one of the shows, being listed as an additional musician on Live Era, he got mad at Slash for wanting a different manager in VR, issues in the Cult, not getting in a red carpet photo shoot with the Hollywood Vampires  etc etc. Not saying it’s without merit in some of these cases, but the guy has drummer syndrome and is super sensitive to being seen as less than equal. At times I kinda wished he focused on his blessings and the opportunities he was given by other musicians.

That said, I think the way Slash and Duff handled the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame was piss poor. You don’t treat an ex band member like that - esp one that played on 2 of their 3 most successful albums. If they had their way, he wouldn’t have played, wouldn’t have spoken and wouldn’t have even have sat at their table. Friendship out the window after a move like that

He wouldn’t have even been inducted at all, if they had it their way.

Edited by rocknroll41

15 minutes ago, Drexl said:

Some escape into drugs, Axl had chosen a pseudo-religion. I feel so sorry for him. There was literally no one who would bitch-slap him and yell into his face "Wake up, asshole! They're fucking using you!" Slash and Duff were wasted all the time, Izzy was a fucking quitter...

I feel sorry for him too. Having a decent family or decent friends (non-druggie and non-sycophantic friends, who have a vested interest in always staying on your good side) watching out for you is invaluable in keeping one on the straight and narrow and in preventing you from making grave mistakes. If you don't really have any or not a lot of that to fall back on... well, things can go south easily.

I've often thought the entire history of the band could have been very different if Slash and Duff had been a little older and a little more mature- and not as wasted or high all the time of course. They would have been able to handle Axl and his issues in a better way (maybe. hopefully.).

15 minutes ago, Drexl said:

But getting back to our hero of the day, Matt "the Party Animal" Sorum. What's the most sad about this book, is that it was written by a 60-year-old man. Some men never grow up. :facepalm:

P.S. Izzy, is Matt really your pal? Ouch...

Yeah, it reads like it was written by a 13-year old boy and that's still insulting to a lot of 13 year olds. It's fucking cringeworthy, is what it is. And it's downright creepy in the earlier chapters of the book (I decided to read the whole thing because I'm an idiot) where he keeps bragging about all his sexual adventures as a kid :facepalm:

(And I personally don't think Izzy and Matt are pals. Just two guys who felt they were wronged banding together for a short time. )

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:16 PM, EricA said:

wtf does he hope to achieve by writing such trash and trying to embarrass his former band mates?

Same thing Slash and Duff achieved by embarrassing  their former bandmates. Right to tell their story. Their side. Their life. Get some money.   I am not picking on you. Slash put in his book- Slash and Izzy both  had time with one girl and after Izzy ......Slash and Izzy were very close  to have had Izzy. .....on Slash as well. YUCK.  Duff wrote in his book  of him and Slash and a pipe and .... in the back of the plane of  UYI tour.  WOW,HOW SAD.   None were  boy scounts during their drug years or 1980s.  Every autobiography ,has truth and fabrications and  ehhhhh , a lil White Lie here and there. Take none as 100% truth.  Read bewteen the lines. Enjoy.                                                                                 Like I said before, lets hear it from your Indiana small town boys for corrections, verifications to compare. We cannot and wont because they are never going to write their little books.

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

1) Axl and TB

2) Slash and Duff 

3) Richard, Frank, Dizzy and Mel

I don't know for sure.  They all seem to be enjoying themselves but based on personality it's just based on shared experiences . Axl, Slash and Duff obviously have a very different experience then  Richard, Frank and Dizzy. Mel is probably the one who feels like the outsider the most.

But these guys have all been friends for years and probably are tight nit.

Matts just an egotisitcal crybaby who thinks he is worth more then he actually his.(Like Adler) 

46 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Gotchya. Thanks for clarifying.

From what one of those guys, Krys Baratto (bassist) said in an interview, he was called to play on some demos when Duff was doing the Neurotic Outsiders. So I guess probably they were brought in mostly to record demos on stuff Axl was writing (himself or with Paul Tobias) than to come up with songs themselves.

18 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I want Axl to write a book so badly

:P and is about all you can do, me, abd everybody.  Want.  Ain't ev'a gonna happen. He does not need the money.  His owner of GnR so no one can throw him out of the band. What else? He is on record with truth - Steven's court case. Stephanie ,Erin court case. Tennaged mugshots in Lafayette, Indiana.  His single RS cover and interview around 1989 about his life growing up.   I am not knocking you. Axl ,or even Izzy, writing an autobiography....I dont see it happening. Does anyone?                                                                                                                                                                     So many, too many ,all recent  good posts here. I keep stopping on pg. 38.

Edited by Amaya
Spacing, typos

1 minute ago, Amaya said:

:P and is about all you can do, me, everybody.  Want.  Ain't ev'a gonna hapoen. He does not need the money.  His ownerbog GnR so no one can throw him out of the band. What else? He is on record enough of truth - Steven court case. Stephanie,Erin court. Tennaged mugshots in Lafayette, Indiana.  His single RS cover and interview around 1989 about his life growing up.                                                                                                                                                   So many, too many ,all recent  good posts here. I keep stopping on pg. 38.

what?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, loke212 said:

I feel sorry for him too. Having a decent family or decent friends (non-druggie and non-sycophantic friends, who have a vested interest in always staying on your good side) watching out for you is invaluable in keeping one on the straight and narrow and in preventing you from making grave mistakes. If you don't really have any or not a lot of that to fall back on... well, things can go south easily.

I've often thought the entire history of the band could have been very different if Slash and Duff had been a little older and a little more mature- and not as wasted or high all the time of course. They would have been able to handle Axl and his issues in a better way (maybe. hopefully.).

Yeah, it reads like it was written by a 13-year old boy and that's still insulting to a lot of 13 year olds. It's fucking cringeworthy, is what it is. And it's downright creepy in the earlier chapters of the book (I decided to read the whole thing because I'm an idiot) where he keeps bragging about all his sexual adventures as a kid :facepalm:

(And I personally don't think Izzy and Matt are pals. Just two guys who felt they were wronged banding together for a short time. )

Matt can't comprehend what a chapter is and Susan writes fanfiction. I can't these are actually books.

26 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

From what one of those guys, Krys Baratto (bassist) said in an interview, he was called to play on some demos when Duff was doing the Neurotic Outsiders. So I guess probably they were brought in mostly to record demos on stuff Axl was writing (himself or with Paul Tobias) than to come up with songs themselves.

Makes sense. Interesting how many different things happened with GnR in the studio in the mid 90s. Shadow Company, the Zakk Wylde sessions, the Duff & Izzy tape, the small “overlap” period where Duff, Sorum, and Finck were all in the band together at once (Axl says OMG already existed at this point), etc.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Amaya said:

:P and is about all you can do, me, abd everybody.  Want.  Ain't ev'a gonna happen. He does not need the money.  His owner of GnR so no one can throw him out of the band. What else? He is on record with truth - Steven's court case. Stephanie ,Erin court case. Tennaged mugshots in Lafayette, Indiana.  His single RS cover and interview around 1989 about his life growing up.   I am not knocking you. Axl ,or even Izzy, writing an autobiography....I dont see it happening. Does anyone?                                                                                                                                                                     So many, too many ,all recent  good posts here. I keep stopping on pg. 38.

Your posts are very weird

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

And maybe it is already written but they havent figured out how to publish it

I've been a fan since afd first came out, followed every story, but don't recall anything about the shadow company! Great story.!

If Matt was in the band now imagine what he could teach Melissa!

I believe the Stephanie story, she just seemed needy for attention, could have all been to wind up axl or play with him

I'm surprised how uninterested everyone seems in the session for Hard School with Rick Rubin. This was something that would've represented a really cool next step for Guns N Roses. Rubin could potentially have been really good at managing Axl emotionally, he's interested in classic and hard rock without being keen on reproducing cheesy cliches, he would've encouraged them to play stripped back as a band in a room, but he isn't against tasteful additions of piano, percussion, or orchestras. This feels like a lost opportunity.

Also, until quite far into the first decade of this century Axl had a really good record for choosing collaborators. It went south pretty fast with the likes of DJ Ashba and Frank, and even Bumblefoot was a pretty bad fit in some ways. Frank seems like a lovely guy but this is shambolic:

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I keep flipflopping. He has a right to tell and sell his story.  I get  what @The Holographic Universe is saying. Seems to me, from what has been posted, Matt could have cut. more of the groupies stuff. I think SS is too much still in GnR stuff as she has been far away 30  years minding her business..   I don't believe Matts SS story. I believe the Cher story. As some you pointed out, Matt suffers from Drummer's Ego Syndrome. Lol.                                     Then , my flip side. Matt can stand up for himself. I respect that. Friendships are over. Dont grovel.I think , reading between the lines, Duff was less friends than Matt thought. I think he was hurt by Duff . Steven has finally stopped groveling and begging and running after Axl, Slash, and Duff after like 25 years of doing so. Izzy, it serms to me, can tell them all, including new found old friend Matt and especially Axl to go _____ themselves.                                                                                                    It seems to me, from those who read the book, it needed  like  a second draft. Tighten up some time line things.Put more band stories of the him getting  GnR and VR which changed his life up for the better.  Leave some parts out like too much groupie stuff.  Lay it out his story, but be passive aggressive. The bitter or sour look is not good.  That is my opinion. 

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I'm surprised how uninterested everyone seems in the session for Hard School with Rick Rubin. This was something that would've represented a really cool next step for Guns N Roses. Rubin could've been really good at managing Axl emotionally, is interested in classic and hard rock without being keen on reproducing cheesy cliches, he would've encouraged them to play stripped back as a band in a room, but he isn't against tasteful additions of piano, percussion, or orchestras. This feels like a lost opportunity.

Also, until quite far into the first decade of this century Axl had a really good record for choosing collaborators. It went south pretty fast with the likes of DJ Ashba and Frank, and even Bumblefoot was a pretty bad fit in some ways. Frank seems like a lovely guy but this is shambolic:

Even Matt's drum lesson to this teenager is better than that "thunderchickin" 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I'm surprised how uninterested everyone seems in the session for Hard School with Rick Rubin. This was something that would've represented a really cool next step for Guns N Roses. Rubin could've been really good at managing Axl emotionally, is interested in classic and hard rock without being keen on reproducing cheesy cliches, he would've encouraged them to play stripped back as a band in a room, but he isn't against tasteful additions of piano, percussion, or orchestras. This feels like a lost opportunity.

I always laugh at this part :lol:

ffgif.gif

• Haha 2