Matt Sorum's Autobiography

19 minutes ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Having read all the relevant bios(most written with the help of others), I was pleasantly surprised. Matt Sorum has come across as a ‘dick’ in the press over the years, yet I’ve heard good things of how he treats his fans and the book was not how I expected. 

Prior to reading, I heard about his digs at former band members. That initially put my guard up but having read what he had to say in his take on his life story, I was left in admiration of a focused professional. He appears to have more backbone than others and it appears to have worked against him. However,  he seems quite an authentic character. 

For the sake of argument he is a great drummer and has made some great music. Like Slash, he’s a great musician. The characteristics of Duff and Slash come across badly, but he’s not the first to highlight Slash’s sn(e)akeyness and Duff’s lack of backbone. I hope he’s content married and accomplished.

Slash in his bio, comes across as the perfect rock star. Reading broadly we can see he’s quite cunning. Duff loves to be liked (presenting as a decent guy) but I don’t think he needs to be a James Stewart or Tom Hanks character. That said it was a dream come true to meet and shake Duff’s hand and get him to sign his first book (I even have a good story to tell:)).

I feel bad for Steven in that his story is of a nice guy who went on a great adventure to fall victim to drug addiction which crippled his career.

Axl and Izzy are probably best to remain as enigmas.

If you read Weiland’s bio, he comes across as a guy who’s ‘all over the place’. I was a fan of his music. Another tragedy. 

I’m sure my post will be ripped to shreds but I felt compelled to type:)

That’s just the way the text uploaded 

What's the story about meeting Duff?

19 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

I just thought that Matt let his feelings about the NITL tour color the way he talked about Slash and Duff throughout the book and that is shortsighted. A comprehensive autobiography should reflect more about your feelings at the time of these events. Matt owes a lot of his career from 1990 onwards to those guys and their songs.

It should, in theory, but it rarely happens (if ever), because people's looking back at their past is inevitably influenced by their current feelings. 

• Like 1

Matt  with his team  should just put his book out, catch as many sales$$  as it can..  Since his book was put out there on sale right before CovidVirus lockdown, some people bought the book. now, no one can buy the book..  He can still promote ....bad timing. Someone here said he bought Steves book when it came put at that for $1.00 bargain books. I think Duffs books are reduced. I doubt Matt' s will be a best seller thing.                                                                                        SLASH , his book is the only one of the group out there on line , still in print,  and in retail book stores.Ex. Any Barnes & Noble keep a copy on the shelf.                                                                                        If Izzy were to write a book, what do you think it will be  like? How well would it sell or not?  Like Matts? Like Duff? Izzy won't ever wtite a book, safe to say. I dont think it would be too much of his sexual, drug deeds 1980s nor a backstabber . I think it would sell same as Steve- Duff- Matt.                                                                                                                  AXL  - best seller, big promotion without him doing a thing,  resurgence  of interest in SLASH  book and more copies of his being sold. SLASH  could have his old book redited, and new CHAPTERS added to the end of the former book . Back on best sellers list.                         

Edited by Amaya

18 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I think most people skipped straight to the GNR section. I read a little bit of the pre cult days to GNR to get a sense of him. His stories are typical Rock n Roll stuff. I didn’t get a single insight from the book. I Did like his story of initials on the back stages passes because he didn’t want to fuck a girl who suck the bus drivers dicks. That’s was pretty funny.

I only read the rest of his book because in the beginning there was a mix up at the hospital and his parents thought that maybe brought home the wrong baby and that he wasn't really theirs. He claimed that this would be really important later, but never said anything else about it.

31 minutes ago, MurielWeathers said:

I only read the rest of his book because in the beginning there was a mix up at the hospital and his parents thought that maybe brought home the wrong baby and that he wasn't really theirs. He claimed that this would be really important later, but never said anything else about it.

Seems like bad editing. Bad proofreading. Bad note taking. Why was that  info about his parents thinking it was a mix up impt and later.....but he did not come back and write why? This would have the humor, something funny,  comical in his book., Were his parents and brothers were Math, Science  people and  nommusical? Was he so much taller than everyone? What?

Edited by Amaya

2 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Any mention about his time in Motörhead?

Yup, apparently he was on the phone to Duff, while Phil Campbell was beside him. He asked Phil if it was cool for Duff to come and jam at one of the gigs. Phil gave the thumbs up, so Matt told Duff it was ok to turn up, then a bit later Lemmy came into the dressing room and said “Duff ain’t in Motorhead” and that was that. Matt has to let Duff know that it was not after all cool to turn up. 

(I think that’s how it went, I read the thing in an evening while blitzed so, correct me if I got it wrong) 

• Thanks 1

Uploading for Dummies.  Help. I cannot cut- copy - paste , take a picture, save in gallery, what  to put it here.  I want to post some things from MickWalls old book OF HIS NEW CHAPTER HE ADDED TO THE BACK. End Chap is called, Where is Izzy?  He has a good part about Steve and Matt. Tell me in pm how to do this or, send me your phone number. I'll just send you the paragraphs  I will  take pix  and you upload it here. 

Edited by Amaya

16 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Has anybody heard anything else about Matts' book, for instance has it been cancelled for good?  He must be gutted if it has as he has been marketing it for months now.

He would need to find another publisher but if it's as poorly written and edited as everyone says, he'd need to rewrite some of it. Or just self-plublish. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

My preference would be Brain out of the three, even though I like things Adler and Sorum do, but in an encompassing all I think Brain is the man for the job if Frank ever gets the boot! great player, zero rockstar BS.

I definitely agree with Brain being first choice.  but i cant help but wonder what my reaction would be if Frank got canned and London Hudson got the gig.....   cant say its impossible

Edited by Chester 524

I dont know howv to multiquote. MY TAKE. Matt is butt hurt. Money, well we all got the light bill to pay. Lol, Of course,  Matt is good for life financially,  but  it was : the band, songs, interviews, playing live a night to no less than 30 thousand people, arenas and 65 seat stadiums, the thrill of the work,  second chance to do this thing GnR right, clean n sober,. Ego. His wife and close friends to see him. I can understand. Then  NEVER thinking, Bestie Duff would  knife him in back. The huge pay I think was  bottom on the list. .Izzy doesn't give a flying fuk.c about any of them or their tour or their money   and will go there and fu.kc them all up  any  if they all want to mess with him. He ain't scared or groveling at any of them, esp AXL. Steve has finally grown up to be a man and  stopped groveling at them after he took some crumbs they threw at him.  That is my take on it. @Tom2112

Edited by Amaya

1 hour ago, Axl's beard said:

Which one of these 52 pages has a link or pdf to Matt’s book? 

It was to be out for sale  March or April but Caronvirus hit. It was for sale and some people managed o buy it before Carovirus and before it was pulled. 

16 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

IN EARLY SUMMER 2015, I heard a rumor that Alice Cooper was putting
together a new band with Joe Perry and Johnny Depp. I thought it sounded exciting, so I called Alice’s manager, Shep Gordon, at his house on Maui.
“Shep,” I said, “Matt Sorum here. How are you? What’s going on with this Hollywood Vampires band?”

“Well, you know,” said Shep, “we’re gonna try to do some shows.” “Who’s your drummer?”
“Oh, we don’t have a drummer—or a bass player.”
“Well, I’ll play drums,” I said.
“You’re in!” With that, we ended the call.
I went out into the garden. The air was still and hot, like it is in June in L.A. I was so happy with how the call with Shep had gone and was thinking about who might be good on bass. The first guy who came to mind was Duff McKagan.
I went back inside, called Duff, and said, “Hey, man, you interested in doing this Vampires thing?”
“It sounds cool,” said Duff.

Not long after that, I spoke to Shep again. “What do you think about having the rhythm section from Velvet Revolver and GNR being the rhythm section for the Vampires?”
“I love it!” Shep shouted.

“A few weeks later, the Hollywood Vampires were booked to perform a tribute to Lemmy at the Grammy Awards. I assumed we would arrive together, but during rehearsals I found out that we weren’t going to be walking the red carpet as a band.

I called the Hollywood Vampires’ comanager, Trudy Green—a British woman with a posh accent—and asked whether there had been some kind of misunderstanding.
“Oh no, darling,” she said—which, from a Brit, means Fuck you! —“it’s the three principal figures walking together; besides, Duff didn’t want to walk with them.”

“So . . . Duff doesn’t wanna walk the red carpet with the band?”
I called him right away.
“Dude. . . . We should walk with Alice, Joe, and Johnny as a band.” But, to my surprise, he said, “Oh no, man. I’m cool, man. I’m gonna
walk with my wife and daughter.”
I still didn’t understand, so I said, “Come on, dude. . . . Come on.” “Nah. . . . It’s OK.”

He was giving me really bad vibes, but I said nothing, just like I said
nothing when my wife, Ace, and I saw him at the Grammys. Trudy and I had already argued about the way we were going to be introduced. She only wanted Alice, Joe, and Johnny to be mentioned by
name before we went out onstage.
That’s why, when I spotted Dave Grohl, I told him all about it. He frowned and said, “I got you, bro.”

Not long after that, I heard him reading from the script, introducing me
and Duff: “And now, for the first time on TV, joined by Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan, let’s hear it for Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Johnny Depp —the Hollywood Vampires.”
We played both “Ace of Spades,” in tribute to Lemmy, and “As Bad as I Am,” written by Johnny Depp.

After we finished, Johnny came over to me. “Duff’s quit the band.” “What?!”
I didn’t want to believe it. Above all, I couldn’t believe that Duff had told Johnny instead of me, and then snuck out the back door without saying good-bye.
As if to throw salt in the wound, Trudy Green came over to me and told me something else Duff hadn’t had the balls to say. “You understand,” she said, smiling like she was actually enjoying the situation, “Duff told me a few days ago that the reason he didn’t want to walk the red carpet with you is that he has another band now—his old one.”
“Really?” I said, deploying my best poker face as a whole load of unpleasant feelings rushed through me”.   

That whole piece just made him seem like a tit who can’t read between the lines. Invites HIMSELF into the band started by others, OFFERS To bring a bass player With him and wonders why he’s not on the red carpet, and calls management to complain about it... At least Duff had some cop on it seems and didn’t assume he was a full member of The Hollywood Vampires. 

Matt also mentions zero about deadland ritual, which I hoped he would. Geezers probably the best bass player he’s ever likely to work with, and not a mention. 

Seems to be a lot of "Don't you get it!? I was in GNR and the cult!!" to be fair people shout about much less, but he doesn't get it; in most peoples eyes, he was just someone those bands hired to play drums... they don't really view him as THE drummer of those bands. When you think of GNR his name is high on the list, but most people still talk about Steven first and foremost - just as who was most popular, I'm not talking ability.

Maybe Duff didn't tell him about Guns because he knew he'd ask to play and it was just going to be awkward... we all have those friends who love you when you're doing stuff for them and flip as soon as you don't come running 1 time in 10.

It's amazing he's had the career he's had considering the chip on his shoulder.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

I definitely agree with Brain being first choice.  but i cant help but wonder what my reaction would be if Frank got canned and London Hudson got the gig.....   cant say its impossible

Oh jesus... I just hope Slash has more sense than to ever consider that🤣 Like there are some examples of rockstar kids that can actually play Wolfgang VH and Rufus Taylor are top of the list, and Phil Collins' son seems solid. Look If it ever did happen, as long as he can play the parts then I'd be ok seeing it, but I think it's best if family is kept out of bands.

• Like 3

As a Brit on the many occasions I exclaim 'Oh no darling' I dont really mean 'Fuck you', especially in my 'posh' voice;).   Seriously I do get that being thrown into the mayem, fame and ccnstant girl adoration etc must stroke the ego of the most together bloke never mind the insecure which I think Matt is.   Then to be thrown out....not ever been part of this crazy world I cannot judge him although I see his neediness in the above section of his book.  

He seems to talk about quite a few folk in the book which makes me think it may not be anybody from GnR that has stopped it, who knows...

Finally figured out how to find this thing. Kind of dull mostly just skimmed it.  I can't really blame him for feeling burned by those guys though. They did kind of screw him.

Funniest thing to me was when he described the Scrap Bar as being in a rough neighborhood. MacDougal Street rough?  Even in the very different NYC of 1988 that hardly the case.

On 9.06.2020 at 7:39 PM, loke212 said:

I feel sorry for him too. Having a decent family or decent friends (non-druggie and non-sycophantic friends, who have a vested interest in always staying on your good side) watching out for you is invaluable in keeping one on the straight and narrow and in preventing you from making grave mistakes. If you don't really have any or not a lot of that to fall back on... well, things can go south easily.

I've often thought the entire history of the band could have been very different if Slash and Duff had been a little older and a little more mature- and not as wasted or high all the time of course. They would have been able to handle Axl and his issues in a better way (maybe. hopefully.).

What puzzles me is where were his siblings? They've spent most of the time during the Illusion tour by his side. Maybe he was really unreachable back then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Axl's beard said:

Is his book available on any kind of amazon?

No, book release has been pulled altogether. People on the forum have read leaks from where Amazon mistakenly had it on sale for about a day on the original release date.