Matt Sorum's Autobiography

On 8/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, loke212 said:

Iirc correctly, first Matt was pissed off with Slash for calling the band Slash's Snakepit (instead of just Snakepit).

Later Matt was pissed off with Slash for not consulting with him about the singer for the record (and maybe also not asking his opinion about everything in general).

Slash just went ahead with a singer he liked and when Matt heard the result he hated it, threw a hissy fit and told Slash not to use his drumming on the record anymore.

I thought Slash had said in a Rolling Stone interview at the time that there was an all girl band around at the time called Snakepit, and it would have been a legal hassle to get or buy the name.  I do remember rumor at the time that the GNR camp was divided with Slash and Gilby on one side, and Axl, Duff and Matt on the other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ericstacey said:

I thought Slash had said in a Rolling Stone interview at the time that there was an all girl band around at the time called Snakepit, and it would have been a legal hassle to get or buy the name.

The complication with the all female band came up after Slash's project was named Slash's Snakepit (and not just "Snakepit"):

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash recently canceled a Slash’s Snakepit concert originally set for May 14 at the New Bacchanal because of a name dispute with the San Diego band Snakepit. The all-female band obtained a restraining order against Slash’s Snakepit that prohibits any San Diego appearances. The two bands will attempt to settle in a court date set for June 19. [North County Times, May 5, 1995]

Slash: "After the Snakepit record was done this band popped up. I'd already been calling it Slash's Snakepit. I had the Snakepit name for a long time. At some point after the album was finished I got a phone call from a friend of mine, "Do you know there's a band in San Diego, they call themselves Snakepit?" I had a demo sent over with five songs on it and it's a bunch of girls, it's dated 1994. I didn't want to get into it. But when Eric and I were doing the promo tour we went to San Diego and went to dinner with these chicks. Everything seemed fine. I didn't give a shit if they called their band Snakepit. But I think it was mostly financial. We went to court over it. The judge threw it out of court, there was no case. But they haven't totally gone away. We wanted to play there but the legalities weren't going to be finished in time. We'll be able to go back there at some point." [Metal Edge Magazine, October 1995; interview from May 15, 1995]

More here:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20196

42 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Apparently this was recorded at NAMM back in January (when Matt's book was due to be released in April), but it is published now. He sounded very happy with his book then.

It's funny that the interviewer/outlet that posted the video don't know that the release has been postponed - they wrote in the description of the video that Matt has just released the book :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I saw that shipping container studio when I was there at NAMM, it was really cool (kind of small though). My brother and I were considering going to see Matt's appearance but we had other plans already during that time slot (namely meeting up with Todd Kerns and Brent Fitz). We met Matt earlier in the day though so we were still able to cross that off our list.

I read the book, it is fun and easy to read. Sorum sounds bitter about how things have gone, he feels betrayed by his pals. first with Guns and then with Velvet.

But somehow i can not let it go, there is something Sorum says that catches me........ It doesend feels right this hole reunion thing......

When you start adding up, with the Adler story then Izzy about splitting the loot..... Now Sorum his book.

Its all albout the money...... When they make a album, that does not make the expectation we al have. They lose a lot more, when they keep going on like now, and say yeah there is something new coming...... and play a new tune during soundcheck now and then.... We al keep waiting and hoping of the new album....

It's just a gig........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert39 said:

I read the book, it is fun and easy to read. Sorum sounds bitter about how things have gone, he feels betrayed by his pals. first with Guns and then with Velvet.

But somehow i can not let it go, there is something Sorum says that catches me........ It doesend feels right this hole reunion thing......

When you start adding up, with the Adler story then Izzy about splitting the loot..... Now Sorum his book.

Its all albout the money...... When they make a album, that does not make the expectation we al have. They lose a lot more, when they keep going on like now, and say yeah there is something new coming...... and play a new tune during soundcheck now and then.... We al keep waiting and hoping of the new album....

It's just a gig........

I agree with this. Seems the business model is to milk the cow dry before releasing anything. As long as people keep attending the shows they will keep dangling the carrot. They will release an album when they have to to keep touring going.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 10:40 AM, Blackstar said:

It could be that Matt got the order of events wrong in his book. I had posted this several pages back in the thread in regards to what was said in interviews of the time:

So maybe the original disagreement occurred when Slash had announced that the band would be called "SVO Snakepit". And then, when the band was renamed again to "Slash's Snakepit" Matt didn't buy that it was a record label decision.

I imagine it was the record labels idea for obvious reasons. The fact Matt was offended in anyway is silly. Matt and Dizzy should both be overflowing with eternal gratitude for being in GNR.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 4:18 AM, DTJ80 said:

I saw footage of Houston 2016 (audience) and they sounded brilliant. That was August of that year so if it’s a full gig let’s hope it’s around then.

The Houston show is overrated. I was at the Dallas show the day before and it was just a good if you had lower bowl seats. ATT stadium supposedly has acoustic issues. 

On 8/13/2020 at 7:11 AM, allwaystired said:

it occupied me for a couple of days.

The only GNR thing that occupies me these days is coming on here, apart from putting on a bootleg DVD when I'm a bit drunk and have a friend over to try and convince them GNR aren't (in their words) "a totally shit band". 

I never really listen to them, simply because they have so little material and I've played it all to death over the years! 

It can be hard to get people to realize how incredible GNR were because the band truly only had one world tour and it was over. It’s not like Metallica, U2, or RHCP, bands that have years at peaks. GNR was a blink and you’ll miss it type thing.

9 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It can be hard to get people to realize how incredible GNR were because the band truly only had one world tour and it was over. It’s not like Metallica, U2, or RHCP, bands that have years at peaks. GNR was a blink and you’ll miss it type thing.

Hmm metallicas peak, i reckon was from all the way 86 to 91. The black album period from 91 to 93 like GNR was huge for them.

Between 91 to 93 the 3 biggest bands in no particular order were GNR, metallica , nirvana.

Just now, Sydney Fan said:

Edited by Sydney Fan

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

U2 were much bigger than Nirvana. Nirvana is huge because of Cobains suicide. Nevermind is a classic album, though. But, had Nirvana lived on the band would have never been bigger than an arena band at best. AIC, STP, and Soundgarden never became arena rock bands. Pearl Jam built a following of their own and Pearl Jam are clearly the biggest band from that era. Nirvana would have broken up. Aside from St. Anger Metallica never lost a step in terms of visibility and selling out arenas and stadiums. 

I think kurt would have had issues with nirvana being an arena band because i think he would have gotten annoyed with the bands success. I doubt grohl and krist would have had an issue with it, considering foo fighters are an arena band anyway.

Nirvanqs albums post nevermind were only gettingbat least here in oz a 3 out of 5 review, so it would be interesting if kurt had lived how successful the band would be.

I like soundgarden, AIC and they really deserved the success nirvana had because their music is really good, and i would say much better than the post nevermind material.

Your right about metallica, uf GNR had stayed together it would have been interesting to see how popular they would have stayed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think kurt would have had issues with nirvana being an arena band because i think he would have gotten annoyed with the bands success. I doubt grohl and krist would have had an issue with it, considering foo fighters are an arena band anyway.

Nirvanqs albums post nevermind were only gettingbat least here in oz a 3 out of 5 review, so it would be interesting if kurt had lived how successful the band would be.

I like soundgarden, AIC and they really deserved the success nirvana had because their music is really good, and i would say much better than the post nevermind material.

Your right about metallica, uf GNR had stayed together it would have been interesting to see how popular they would have stayed.

I was just saying a lot of people just know the GNR songs, but not how much of a force the band was live because of the one headlining tour. It’s almost insane to think GNR only had one legit tour. It took both Metallica and U2 until their fifth albums( The Black album and The Joshua Tree) before those bands became capable of selling arenas or Stadiums. Those bands never lost that ability either. But GNR has to be the only band that ever achieved so much success so quickly and briefly. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

U2 were much bigger than Nirvana. Nirvana is huge because of Cobains suicide. Nevermind is a classic album, though. But, had Nirvana lived on the band would have never been bigger than an arena band at best. AIC, STP, and Soundgarden never became arena rock bands. Pearl Jam built a following of their own and Pearl Jam are clearly the biggest band from that era. Nirvana would have broken up. Aside from St. Anger Metallica never lost a step in terms of visibility and selling out arenas and stadiums. 

I agree with the Nirvana thing. Just want to add that Soundgarden and AiC could have been bigger had they not split up for a large and important amount of time or had they not have the leader died. AiC would probably not have gone that far, but Soundgarden absolutely could have filled in arenas just with Black Hole Sun if they kept going (and releasing albums) through the end of the 90s and those lost 10 years in the 00s. Just my opinion though. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
31 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Volatile relationship with Axl, Slash and the rest of the gnr team.... I mean, there it is. In Matts press release for his book. I think we can finally stop with the "But why didn't they get Matt back" ha!