Matt Sorum's Autobiography

4 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Found the part about the reunion invitation interesting. The question is posed as he was invited once already and declined. I don't remember him speaking about being invited in the past, only Gilby mentioning he was invited.

He has talked about it before in another interview . It's also in his book.

4 hours ago, WVsax27 said:

"after we went out and became so big"

That was already a thing when you got there bro

Yeah that's WTF right there. GNR were already the biggest band on the planet in 1989, over a full year or more before Steven was even fired.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yeah that's WTF right there. GNR were already the biggest band on the planet in 1989, over a full year or more before Steven was even fired.

I’m not sure about that. They were rapidly becoming huge but I don’t think it really reached its peak until at least 1991. They were mostly an opening act (with some small headlining shows) until Rock in Rio II in January of 1991 and then the UYI Tour kicked off in May of that year. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

I’m not sure about that. They were rapidly becoming huge but I don’t think it really reached its peak until at least 1991. They were mostly an opening act (with some small headlining shows) until Rock in Rio II in January of 1991 and then the UYI Tour kicked off in May of that year. 

That was just the date when they accepted to play big shows, they were already offered headline shows in 89 but according to Slash they were burned out and needed a break after the AFD tour (the last show on that tour was a disaster). That does not mean their music was not everywhere and that everyone else was not trying to be like them at that point, 1989 had already spawned millions of GNR clones in the music world. There's that one quote from Duff where he said they came back from the road in 89 and suddenly everyone was dressed like them, lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That was just the date when they accepted to play big shows, they were already offered headline shows in 89 but according to Slash they were burned out and needed a break after the AFD tour (the last show on that tour was a disaster). That does not mean their music was not everywhere and that everyone else was not trying to be like them at that point, 1989 had already spawned millions of GNR clones in the music world. There's that one quote from Duff where he said they came back from the road in 89 and suddenly everyone was dressed like them, lol.

Yeah, I’m not saying they weren’t very popular. And I’m not defending Matt because nothing he really did contributed to them becoming the biggest band in the world…I just don’t think it officially happened until 1991. Could’ve been a year earlier or so but like you said they were taking a break. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Agreed... They may not have been headlining yet but could have.. They were already the biggest band in the world by 88 imo... Evryone I knew fucking loved them.. While the Illusions tour was massively successful you could already start to see public opinion changing towards them in an unfavorable way.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agreed... They may not have been headlining yet but could have.. They were already the biggest band in the world by 88 imo... Evryone I knew fucking loved them.. While the Illusions tour was massively successful you could already start to see public opinion changing towards them in an unfavorable way.. 

I mean I guess it depends on how you personally define the “biggest band in the world” thing. My definition wouldn’t involve opening up for Aerosmith at the time. They certainly were booming in popularity then but I think it takes a little while to solidify yourself to the level of “Biggest.” Especially on a worldwide basis pre internet era. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

I mean I guess it depends on how you personally define the “biggest band in the world” thing. My definition wouldn’t involve opening up for Aerosmith at the time. They certainly were booming in popularity then but I think it takes a little while to solidify yourself to the level of “Biggest.” Especially on a worldwide basis pre internet era. 

Well the opening for Aerosmith was in summer/fall of 88, like 4 months before 89 even begun. But even at that point it was already showing, at those opening shows people were already saying how GNR blew away the headliner and massive amounts of people started buying tickets just to see GNR instead of Aerosmith. During that time or shortly after that but still in 1988, Rolling Stone was going to put Aerosmith on the cover but seeing the writing on the wall decided to change it to GNR instead. 

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

They were massive in the late 80s. However, they got even massive'er, AND became a house hold name, after NR, DC, and YCBM was released, and on T2. 

One could argue Jungle, Sweet Child and Paradise City did that before any of those songs.. Patience was huge as well.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

One could argue Jungle, Sweet Child and Paradise City did that before any of those songs.. Patience was huge as well.. 

Yes they did, however NR DC & YCBM added to that, and brought more fans in, on top of that. Which was the discussion about the size of their popularity, hence they were bigger with UYI. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Yes they did, however NR DC & YCBM added to that, and brought more fans in, on top of that. Which was the discussion about the size of their popularity, hence they were bigger with UYI. 

Again, I would argue that while those songs may have attracted more fans, just as many were bailing at the same time..  I fucking loved them during both era's but I can also distinctly remember people I knew being disappointed in the Illusions when they came out, people getting tired of Axl and the band just not being as "cool" to a decent ammount of rock fans who were once into them.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Again, I would argue that while those songs may have attracted more fans, just as many were bailing at the same time..  I fucking loved them during both era's but I can also distinctly remember people I knew being disappointed in the Illusions when they came out, people getting tired of Axl and the band just not being as "cool" to a decent ammount of rock fans who were once into them.  

I think a lot of existing Metallica fans were disappointed at the time with their self titled (black) album and the band lost some cool points in their eyes. The band still unquestionably gained mass worldwide popularity during that period. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

GNR wasnt bigger than Bon Jovi and U2 in 1988

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I hear that, and not all fans that have been there from the start will like subsequent albums. Alot of artists would experience this scenario. 

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I liked the albums when they came out, but the music didn't sound like Guns N' Roses . The sleaze has been replaced with a much more clean sound and the songs went in all kinds of direction music-wise with more experimentation and orchestration. To me, the band had lost its identity. I also felt that although some songs were truly great, there were too many fillers on the albums. I wanted Appetite II - that was not what I got.

And yes, there was nothing cool about the band anymore. They had been a scruffy set of kids, street kids who shared a common image. Now they were all grown up, gone in different directions, and quite despicable. You couldn't really excuse the kind of behaviour anymore. The late starts, the endless feuds, the excesses. It became trite and childish. And when Izzy left it changed even more from what I had fallen in love with. Teddy and the backup singers. It felt like a staged show, not that punkish little band from the 80s.

So in a sense I went through a lot of what some fans went through when CD came out. Expectations were not realized.

• Like 1