STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

I like the show so far for the most part but some of the character actions feel random (or even cringey in a few cases), and I think at least one of three things shoulda happened:

1.It shoulda been a movie instead (as is the case with most of these sw live action shows unfortunately)

2.All the episodes shoulda been released at once (but that goes against the D+ business model unfortunately)

3.There shoulda been fewer episodes (one of the writers confirmed that ep4 and ep5 were originally one episode that Disney forced them to split, which explains a lot)

I agree that the next show doesn’t seem that exciting, as I’m not fond of kids. That said, the promo art I’ve seen from it so far has a very 80s vibe to it, which is cool, so I’ll keep an open mind.

So far Mando is still the only live action show to pull off an episodic feel while still maintaining a narrative throughline, but even that show started to stumble as it went along.

I know everyone likes Andor, but that “style” isn’t really for me.

Edited by rocknroll41

I'll binge the new show after it's all out. I've heard mostly bad things, but I'm sure I'll be entertained by at least some of it. The clip I saw with the pronoun shit was cringy. Wouldn't be the first time on a Disney SW production. 

Loved the episode; needs a re-watch. 

Guess my Darth Plagueis prediction was wrong.

Really interested to see where the series goes with three episodes left.  Maybe Osha becomes the Acolyte after finding out what really went down at her home planet.  Curious to see how the Sith came to be.

Really don't see Sol living to the end.  Unless they want to trip up the prequels (which would be fine with me since they're terrible), it's likely that any Jedi who knows of the Sith dies before he/she can report it to the council.  

Wish this series was released all at once.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Just bought the Lego UCS Millennium Falcon. Yolo 

Nice.  

I have a friend who bought this a few years ago.   Took his time with it.  It was cool to watch his progress every few weeks.  Hope you have a nice spot picked out to display it once you're done.

25 minutes ago, downzy said:

Nice.  

I have a friend who bought this a few years ago.   Took his time with it.  It was cool to watch his progress every few weeks.  Hope you have a nice spot picked out to display it once you're done.

I have no room :lol:. I’ll figure something out. Got me back into SW this week so I did a mini marathon this weekend. I’m going to give the new show another chance after I hear people liking the newest episode

23 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I have no room :lol:. I’ll figure something out. Got me back into SW this week so I did a mini marathon this weekend. I’m going to give the new show another chance after I hear people liking the newest episode

The last episode is probably one of the coolest moments in Star Wars since Disney took over. Even if you hate the story or whatever else, the action in episode five is top notch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

The last episode is probably one of the coolest moments in Star Wars since Disney took over. Even if you hate the story or whatever else, the action in episode five is top notch. 

I’ll watch them and rewatch the others. I just thought the characters were dry and the witch stuff was kind of weird for me but I guess that is okay. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just watched Acolyte episode 6. The Qimir/Osha stuff is cool but the rest is just okay. I’m starting to wonder if Qimir is way older than he seems… Either way, I no longer think he’s a Ren. I think the Kylo theme in the last episode was just to highlight how he and Osha have a similar dynamic to Kylo and Rey. I’m still putting my money on him being Plagueis. I like the theory of Vern being his former master. If he really is much older than he seems, then it would make sense, since she’s also like 100+, and according to the books, she also dabbled with the dark side a bit when she was young.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Just watched Acolyte episode 6. The Qimir/Osha stuff is cool but the rest is just okay. I’m starting to wonder if Qimir is way older than he seems… Either way, I no longer think he’s a Ren. I think the Kylo theme in the last episode was just to highlight how he and Osha have a similar dynamic to Kylo and Rey. I’m still putting my money on him being Plagueis. I like the theory of Vern being his former master. If he really is much older than she seems, then it would make sense, since she’s also like 100+, and according to the books, she also dabbled with the dark side a bit when she was young.

Yeah, I had given up on the notion that they were going to introduce Plaguesis with this series but the line about being around for a long time indicates that's where they might be going.  

This episode definitely felt as if it was setting for the final two.  It would be hard to keep up the intensity from the last episode, so I don't mind the step back.  Only thing I wished is if the episode had been 10-15 minute longer to include what we're all wanting to know.  But I guess that's the point of the seventh episode (full length flashback) with the the eight and final episode letting everything play out. 

If Qimir does end up being Plegauesis, would be cool to have him fly to Naboo at the end of episode 8.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been enjoying The Acolyte. I think episodes could be longer to let it breath a bit more. That's been a problem with a lot of shows over the past few years. I can definitely see there being some disney interference when it comes to how the show is cut up, as mentioned above. 

I thought that osha putting on the helmet was a but rushed after just saying she isn't so easily corrupted. Could easily have been Qimir messing with her head using the force though seeing as he does that. 

I do like him as a villain. 

Enjoying reading your guys theories. I'm excited to see what sol has to say next episode. 

Edited by Jw224

The Acolyte...idk about it. kinda misses the mark for me personally. liked Mando and Andor. the tv show medium can absolutely work for Star Wars, but they're so inconsistent. Andor especially shows what you can do when the team is perfect and the show runner knows exactly what he's doing or Mando is a back to basics good idea with some mojo but they're starting to ruin that as well. I think Andor will be the only perfect Star Wars show for a long time if I had to bet on it. it ties to the movie R1 as well so it a prequal kind of a show to a movie like that was a smart idea with great execuation that contains actors with theatre experience and it shows.

Whelp I am now caught up and I was wrong. The witch stuff and boring Jedi tuned me out but I’m glad I gave the show another try. Episodes 5 and 6 are great! Really good stuff

• Like 1

Not a fan of these flashback episodes. Ep3 and ep7 probably shoulda just been one episode, just like how ep4 and ep5 shoulda just been one episode. Even the titles seem to suggest that this was originally the plan anyways.

Also, the way the Jedi apprentice kid just rushes back to the castle after analyzing the dna was stupid. The dna alone was enough proof that their mission was complete. They coulda just sent that info back to Jedi HQ and headed home.

Edited by rocknroll41

Show has a lot of filler and can be a slow burn, but I dig the flashbacks overall. Those first few episodes were tough for me to get through but now it’s pretty decent. I would put it above Ahsoka, Boba Fett, Mando S3, and maybe on par with Obi-Wan (that had higher highs and lower lows). 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Show has a lot of filler and can be a slow burn, but I dig the flashbacks overall. Those first few episodes were tough for me to get through but now it’s pretty decent. I would put it above Ahsoka, Boba Fett, Mando S3, and maybe on par with Obi-Wan (that had higher highs and lower lows). 

I’m not even sure how to rank all these shows, at this point. They’re all “good but not great” to me. Same with most of the movies too, tbh.

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’m not even sure how to rank all these shows, at this point. They’re all “good but not great” to me. Same with most of the movies too, tbh.

For Disney rankings for me,

Elite tier Star Wars- Andor

Great tier- Rogue One, The Last Jedi*, The Mandalorian Season 1, The Mandalorian Season 2

Good tier- The Force Awakens, Solo (I rewatched it and although it has many issues, it is pretty good!)

Okay tier- The Acolyte, The Mandalorian Season 3, Ahsoka

Bad tier- Book of Boba Fett, Obi- Wan (the Vader shit and Ewan are great, but God damn does some of this show suck)

Dumpster fire tier- The Rise of Skywalker

*I know, everyone hates TLJ but me. It is a sloppy mess, but the parts I like, I really like. 

Also, they put a pop song in the credits of The Acolyte. Wtf :lol:

Episode 7 was a bit of a miss for me.

The first half of the episode felt completely redundant.  We already knew the Jedi were there.  Felt like 15 minutes of setup was unnecessary.

The series definitely suffers whenever there's no sith or bad guy.  For me, Qimir is the most interesting aspect of the show.  Sidelining him for an episode doesn't help the momentum of the show.

It would be really great if Disney started releasing shows that explored the dark side characters.  Andor was partly great because it was an inspection of the empire and the mechanisms that were required to run it (and ultimately helping to undo it).  A show that analyzed some of the lesser known bad guys and their origins would be interesting (assuming it was done well).

Looking forward to seeing how all this wraps up for the last episode.  Was hoping for more context about Qimir in this past episode so hopefully we get more revelations about his character next week.

• Like 1

In other news: they finally started building sets for the Mandalorian & Grogu theatrical movie (some set photos leaked last night).

I guess that means this movie really will be filming at the same time as Fantastic 4, which means we probably won’t see Pedro’s face much in this.

Either way, at least it’s finally happening. Been a long time now since we’ve had a new Star Wars MOVIE. Getting tired of the shows.

Edited by rocknroll41

https://henrynsilva.blogspot.com/2024/07/2026-my-top-12-most-anticipated-films.html?m=1

https://henrynsilva.blogspot.com/2024/07/future-star-wars-films-in-order-of.html?m=1

^new Star Wars films mentioned.

Also: Apparently Disney got hacked and a bunch of mcu-related spoilers are about to leak. This happened to them before. Their general plan all the way up to Endgame leaked in early 2015. Wonder if something similar will happen to Star Wars, Pixar, etc.

Edited by rocknroll41

Pretty decent conclusion to the story.  Sets up a second season well.

All in all I'd give the series an 8 out of 10.  Wasn't perfect, as the show had pacing issues and the flashback scenes didn't land as well as they could have. 

But overall, I enjoyed the show and hope it serves as a launching pad into exploring the origins of the sith (as it relates to the prequels).  The lightsaber battles were some of the best in the entire saga.  

• Like 3