STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

They announced the cast and principal photography start today! Mark is confirmed as is Billy Dee Williams. Im stoked about that. Having Luke back was a must for me. I just hope he isnt a ghost in a scene or two...

Also, its great they found a way to use Carrie Fisher but I have no idea how Force Awakens footage will work. Could be a wreck but I'll remain optimistic. 

I love all Star Wars. I am a TLJ fan, so I'm fired up. Yeah, it was messy and flawed, but the high points made it a great SW movie for me. Still, In glad JJ is back to finish what he started. I cant believe we are already on IX. It seems like it was yesterday I was obssesing over any info for VII.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

Edited by ZoSoRose
Added first teaser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It would take the greatest cinematic genius to wrap this mess up. Kubrick spliced with Fellini, Kurosawa and Scorsese couldn't resolve it in any meaningful way. 

All they need is a giant space battle based around blowing up a large space station before it blows something up, while Rey duels Kylo. Followed by a musical montage with featuring CGI locations from the previous 2 films, Hayden Christensen/Yoda as a force ghost and Rey and Fin holding hands.

Some CGI, fluffy creatures to sell toys tacked in somewhere too.

It's not exactly a deep story anyway. 

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

All they need is a giant space battle based around blowing up a large space station before it blows something up, while Rey duels Kylo. Followed by a musical montage with featuring CGI locations from the previous 2 films, Hayden Christensen/Yoda as a force ghost and Rey and Fin holding hands.

Some CGI, fluffy creatures to sell toys tacked in somewhere too.

It's not exactly a deep story anyway. 

I completely agree with your points here but what I meant was more specific to this trilogy. Episode 7 they constructed a film. Episode 8 a completely different director deconstructed episode 7 - killing off Snork etc etc - leading it into a different path way. Now I like neither film but I also ask, how can the director of the first installment conceivably wrap this up?

PS

Or more to the point, how can anyone wrap this dog's dinner of a trilogy up. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

They're going to do their damn best to pander to people in the wake of Last Jedi.

Leading with Mark Hamill to let the audience know that even though they killed our favorite Jedi, we're going to get plenty of the friendly ghost. I think it will take a lot to get people excited about this film. The biggest thing they have working against them is the feeling that Rian Johnson already delivered the climax. At best, this could be an interesting encore.

13 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

They're going to do their damn best to pander to people in the wake of Last Jedi.

Leading with Mark Hamill to let the audience know that even though they killed our favorite Jedi, we're going to get plenty of the friendly ghost. I think it will take a lot to get people excited about this film. The biggest thing they have working against them is the feeling that Rian Johnson already delivered the climax. At best, this could be an interesting encore.

Yes, TLJ, shit film that it is, did have a very definite finality to it, didn't it? I mean Empire at least left some plot threads unresolved: Luke promised to return to complete his training, Lando and co were off in search of Boba Fett, they had just established a relationship between Vader and Luke....

TLJ feels like the third movie: Luke is dead, Rey has chosen the light side and will continue the Jedi, and the bad guys have won. There are no threads left open at the end. The best bet would be to age the primary cast 20 years and make the final film take place 20 years after TLJ as an epilogue sort of film with a very separate plot, sort of a "Revenge of the Republic' thing where Luke's ghost inspires Rey to lead what's left of the Rebellion (which, for 20 years, has been gaining support as the First Order exerts tyranny and slavery over the galaxy) to victory, but it comes at great cost: Rey and Kylo kill each other, Lando is killed, everyone is pretty much dead on both sides with a hint of peace in the future. Sort of Star Wars meets Braveheart or something.

Rian Johnson really fucked it all up.

Edited by Fashionista

Where it stands Kylo Ren, after going through a convoluted ''is there some good in there?'' period, is basically the central bad guy. Snork simply hasn't been explained. They passed on the decision to kill off Leia in TLJ and are now using stock footage (and presumably some CGI). Finn is still a pointless underdeveloped character.  

The whole thing is a mess!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Where it stands Kylo Ren, after going through a convoluted ''is there some good in there?'' period, is basically the central bad guy. Snork simply hasn't been explained. They passed on the decision to kill off Leia in TLJ and are now using stock footage (and presumably some CGI). Finn is still a pointless underdeveloped character.  

The whole thing is a mess!

The idea all along was that Leia was survive to the end (she would be the only surviving main character from the original trio and act as the leader of the new Republic). Fate had other plans. 

8 hours ago, Fashionista said:

The idea all along was that Leia was survive to the end (she would be the only surviving main character from the original trio and act as the leader of the new Republic). Fate had other plans. 

I don't know if it was fate that took Carrie Fisher. She was the author of her own demise. The way that woman lived was like riding a rocket right into the ground.

Watching her in both new films was like watching a stroke victim try and teach a college class, it was cringe worthy. Even alive, she had very little dramatic value other than to remind people that she used to appear functional.

28 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I don't know if it was fate that took Carrie Fisher. She was the author of her own demise. The way that woman lived was like riding a rocket right into the ground.

Watching her in both new films was like watching a stroke victim try and teach a college class, it was cringe worthy. Even alive, she had very little dramatic value other than to remind people that she used to appear functional.

I thought she was better in TLJ

34 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Yeah, what idiot would think Carrie Fisher was going to live that long? Mark Hamill would be the most likely survivor. He doesn't crash airplanes like Ford. 

Who's predicting yet more of this "passing the torch" shit, also known as "unceremoniously killing all the good characters you already cared about"?

I'll be in the corner reading the Thrawn trilogy and thinking about what might have been.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2018 at 2:52 AM, Graeme said:

Who's predicting yet more of this "passing the torch" shit, also known as "unceremoniously killing all the good characters you already cared about"?

I'll be in the corner reading the Thrawn trilogy and thinking about what might have been.

The Disney trilogy has certainly been like Massacre of the Innocents if you were in the originals. R2D2 is shitting oil as we speak, wondering what demise Disney have planned for him. 

On 2018-07-31 at 3:52 AM, Graeme said:

I haven't read the original triology, but am planning on doing it. I highly recommend reading the 2 new Thrawn books, Thrawn and Thrawn Alliances, the second book was released last week and I got it yesterday. 

On 2018-07-30 at 12:08 PM, Fashionista said:

I think taking Carrie Fisher was the almighty’s way of protesting the new Star Wars films.

• Like 2