STAR WARS: Convoluted Cash- Cow Disney Adventure Series That Will Never End Thread

ZoSoRose

10 hours ago, Graeme said:

The original Thrawn trilogy are the real Episodes VII, VIII and IX. 

I've been meaning to read these. I'm sure they are FAR better than the trash Disney released. 

9 is my fav of the sequels, but that's not saying much. Here's my favorite Star Wars saga movies in order from my fav to least fav (I still enjoy them all)

A New Hope and Revenge of the Sith

The Phantom Menace

Return of the Jedi

The Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

The Rise of Skywalker

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

Solo was OK, Rogue One grew on me. The second half is my fav of that film.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, soon said:

Not only would The Clone Wars make my list, it would be in the top half.

Yeah if I had to include the “main” shows in my ranking, it’d be this:

GREAT - Star Wars 1977, The Empire Strikes Back, The Mandalorian

GOOD - Return of the Jedi, The Clone Wars (series)

FINE - Solo, The Force Awakens, The Rise of Skywalker, Revenge of the Sith, The Phantom Menace, Rogue One, The Last Jedi

BAD - Attack of the Clones, Rebels, Resistance, The Clone Wars (movie)

There are other shows and TV movies, but none of those are canon anymore, as far as I know, so I won’t bother including them.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I see what you did there! :lol:

on the subject of orders, what I learned recently is that different orders each seem to benefit different sections of the franchise.

Flashback order benefits the PT the most. Machete order benefits the OT the most. Pretty much any order that starts with 7 obviously benefits the ST the most. Full-circle order benefits the spinoffs the most (imo, at least).

Edited by rocknroll41

After giving the above post of mine more thought, I came up with another way of labeling all of the different orders:

Luke’s Journey (OT):
4-5-1-2-3-6-7-8-Solo-9-RO

Obi-Wan’s Journey (PT): 
4-1-2-3-5-6-7-8-Solo-9-RO

Rey’s Journey (ST): 
7-Solo-RO-4-5-1-2-3-6-8-9

Han’s Journey (Spinoffs): 
Solo-RO-4-5-1-2-3-6-7-8-9

Edited by rocknroll41

On April 14, 2020 at 11:37 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah if I had to include the “main” shows in my ranking, it’d be this:

GREAT - Star Wars 1977, The Empire Strikes Back, The Mandalorian

GOOD - Return of the Jedi, The Clone Wars (series), Solo

FINE - The Force Awakens, The Rise of Skywalker, Revenge of the Sith, The Phantom Menace, Rogue One, The Last Jedi

BAD - Attack of the Clones, The Clone Wars (movie), Rebels, Resistance.

There are other shows and TV movies, but none of those are canon anymore, as far as I know, so I won’t bother including them.

I have been hesitant to publicly share my list since you shared yours last week. You are one of the few Star Wars fans I know who dont scare me with negativity :lol:

GREAT - Star Wars 1977, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One, The Mandalorian 

GOOD - The Empire Strikes Back, Solo, Revenge of the Sith, The Clone Wars (series), The Clone Wars (Movie), The Rise of Skywalker, The Force Awakens

FINE - The Phantom Menace, Rebels (based on partial viewing)

BAD - Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi, Resistance (partial viewing)

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 1:27 PM, soon said:

I have been hesitant to publicly share my list since you shared yours last week. You are one of the few Star Wars fans I know who dont scare me with negativity :lol:

GREAT - Star Wars 1977, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One, The Mandalorian 

GOOD - The Empire Strikes Back, Solo, Revenge of the Sith, The Clone Wars (series), The Clone Wars (Movie), The Rise of Skywalker, The Force Awakens

FINE - The Phantom Menace, Rebels (based on partial viewing)

BAD - Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi, Resistance (partial viewing)

Nice! And yeah lol, being a starwars fan can be tough sometimes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just read that this morning. I'm excited to watch it again. I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed it. 

I’m excited too as I’ve only seen it once. It’s the only and I suppose last Star Wars movie for awhile that I have only seen once.  Plus I remember missing 5-10 minutes of it when I saw it in the theatres in December thanks to the closes washroom being out of order and having to walk a half mile to the other side of the building to use the washroom. 

• Like 1

I’m gonna be giving my “Obi-Wan order” that I listed above a try (4-1-2-3-5-6-7-8-Solo-9-RO). I feel like this order helps to make the prequel trilogy feel more relevant and, out of everything, the prequel trilogy is the one that needs the biggest “kick in the balls,” so to speak.

I’m gonna be swapping the sequel trilogy out with a fan-edited version that I prefer, though.

Edited by rocknroll41

21 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Nice! And yeah lol, being a starwars fan can be tough sometimes.

I still thought Id get a comment about TESB being lower and Clone Wars (movie) being higher, lol. I know Im all alone on both of those.

I had a question about The Visual Dictionaries and such. Not sure if you are into those at all... 

Im thinking of getting the The Complete Visual Dictionary as my first of these. Thoughts? Does that seem like a good place to start? (Over time I will hope to get all the ones that dont overlap too much)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Complete_Visual_Dictionary

The nerdier the better for me, lol. Im not entirely clear on the difference between Visual Guides, Visual Dictionaries and Visual Enclycopedias in the Star Wars book sense of the terms?

Edited by soon

14 minutes ago, soon said:

I still thought Id get a comment about TESB being lower and Clone Wars (movie) being higher, lol. I know Im all alone on both of those.

I had a question about The Visual Dictionaries and such. Not sure if you are into those at all... 

Im thinking of getting the The Complete Visual Dictionary as my first of these. Thoughts? Does that seem like a good place to start? (Over time I will hope to get all the ones that dont overlap too much)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Complete_Visual_Dictionary

The nerdier the better for me, lol. Im not entirely clear on the difference between Visual Guides, Visual Dictionaries and Visual Enclycopedias in the Star Wars book sense of the terms?

Oh yeah, I don’t know anything about those. Never looked into them.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, soon said:

I've gotta watch it again too. Stat! I didnt realize that Ahsoka has a one word cameo in TROS!! I must be late to the party :facepalm:. It doesnt necessarily mean that she is dead at that point tin the timeline though... right??

Dave Filoni, creator of The Clone Wars, says she counts as “a Jedi who came before” since she left the order and considers herself an ex-Jedi, not a current one. So, yes, it’s possible she’s still alive in Rise of Skywalker, and is just telepathically talking to Rey from the other side of the galaxy or something... Or maybe she’s dead. We honestly don’t know one way or another yet. But I’m sure we will find those answers out for sure, eventually.

• Thanks 1

In honour of May 4th Im watching The Phantom Menace (I'll be watching all the films in timeline order). And TROS really breathes some fresh air into this one!

Im currently reading Bloodlines (28 ABY- so in the lead up to TFA) which is also making Phantom engaging in an all new way. Its a political drama about Leias dealings as the New Republic starts to falter. This breakdown in democracy is what leads to the rise of the New Order and the Resistantance. Being about politics is very Prequel itself and more so because its basically history repeating itself from the Phantom Menace. And as the title suggests Leia is bringing to mind her Mother, Padma, and Father, Bale, from that same time.

Those two factors, along with the Sith Jar Jar theory, are making this feel like a whole new movie to me. 

One thing I always disliked about Phantom was that we know the dude is clearly the Emperor. But now with TROS its all fresh and new - like we didnt know the half of it!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, soon said:

In honour of May 4th Im watching The Phantom Menace.

Couldn't you be doing something a little more entertaining? Like stabbing yourself in the eye with an icepick? :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, soon said:

In honour of May 4th Im watching The Phantom Menace (I'll be watching all the films in timeline order). And TROS really breathes some fresh air into this one!

Im currently reading Bloodlines (28 ABY- so in the lead up to TFA) which is also making Phantom engaging in an all new way. Its a political drama about Leias dealings as the New Republic starts to falter. This breakdown in democracy is what leads to the rise of the New Order and the Resistantance. Being about politics is very Prequel itself and more so because its basically history repeating itself from the Phantom Menace. And as the title suggests Leia is bringing to mind her Mother, Padma, and Father, Bale, from that same time.

Those two factors, along with the Sith Jar Jar theory, are making this feel like a whole new movie to me. 

One thing I always disliked about Phantom was that we know the dude is clearly the Emperor. But now with TROS its all fresh and new - like we didnt know the half of it!

Yeah it’s cool going back through the entire saga knowing now that, all this time, Palpatine was looking for a nice Skywalker body to transfer his spirit into (that came out sounding way dirtier than I thought it would lol).

Fun fact: That faint, spooky chant that you hear in every Darth Maul scene in The Phantom Menace is the same exact chant all of the Sith cultists are shouting in the arena in The Rise of Skywalker.

• GNFNR 1

Seeing a lot of Star Wars Facebook discussion yesterday of course, and what was astounding to me was how many people still consider Rogue One to be a "gritty war movie set in the Star Wars universe."

I even saw one comment saying it feels like a World War II piece!

Have any of these people ever seen a war film?

• Haha 2