New Duff interview in Classic Rock (vague about new music - addresses the Izzy issue)

14 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

In terms of new music with duffs answer....i dont know why its hard to say "yes we are recording tracks at the moment" etc like tge old days where they would be vocal on what recording they are doing. My view is either whatever album is done or in the process.

"“Let’s make these songs the best we can make it.” It was fun for Slash and I to tear those songs apart and play them with aggression. We made them our own."

Sounds like duff and slash wernt exactly interested in the original recordings and wanted to redo them. Which sounds like the approach for the next  record.....just rerecoded CD2 stuff.

Duff and Slash have both said a new album is in the works. Slash has also said they record shit when they are all together (presumably in LA). Speaking of the album, i wouldn't mind if most of the songs are re-recorded CD era stuff. I really want to hear The General, Elvis, etc.

29 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Duff and Slash have both said a new album is in the works. Slash has also said they record shit when they are all together (presumably in LA). 

The vague timelines they give - 'hopefully we might record next month when we are off' - would be suspect to me if they didnt have their own in-house producer, Caram. Because otherwise you cant really just call up Clink and tell him to drop what he's doing and show up next week.

Hopefully this doesnt give them too much flexibility, now that I think of it.

DUFF IS A LIAR he is lying here he knows exactly why Izzy didn't join 

he also lied about duff beer being named about him 

In an excerpt from his autobiography, Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan claimed that the beer was named after him as the writers were fans of the band and he was known for his extreme alcohol consumption and was popularly called "The King of Beers". This is a claim Simpsons creator Matt Groening has called "absurd".

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Maybe this is some sort of syndrome where I forgive these guys because they're rock stars, but I truly don't think of Duff, Slash or especially Axl as "liars". 

I really think they believe what they're saying when they say it. Whether they've just convinced themselves it's the true or not, I don't know. But I think with Axl, he really does believe things when he says them. 

I think Duff is probably the same way. He probably believes things with izzy "just didn't work out". It could be that simple in his mind. Who knows. 

yeah i used to think axl wasn't really a liar and i don't think he is per say as he lives in his own world and has a lot of handlers 

but Axl Slash and Duff all have one thing in common and it's their egos - every other former gnr member does not even come close to them as far as their egos are concerned and big egos can make you lie even though you don't think you're lying 

• GNFNR 1

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Maybe this is some sort of syndrome where I forgive these guys because they're rock stars, but I truly don't think of Duff, Slash or especially Axl as "liars". 

I really think they believe what they're saying when they say it. Whether they've just convinced themselves it's the true or not, I don't know. But I think with Axl, he really does believe things when he says them. 

I think Duff is probably the same way. He probably believes things with izzy "just didn't work out". It could be that simple in his mind. Who knows. 

Everyone prob has their own version of what happens. I don’t think anyone here is capable of disputing first hand accounts one way or another. There’s a lot subtlety and things that aren’t known to make those  judgement calls

Unfortunately, some passioned fans have made up their mind and find the need to have an answer to it all.

Maybe things just aren’t so cut and dry and that’s the real truth here 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Agreed! I think it's part of being human and not just because they are celebrities. We all perceive things through our own lens. Unfortunately, it's human nature. A lot of people are afraid to admit that they are wrong in certain situations. I encounter this a lot with my disability and how people perceive me.  I think the same an be said with  all members of GNR. 

• Like 2

I've always found the canonization of Izzy on this board kind of humorous.

Is there anyone who really believes that if Izzy had been in the NITL lineup from day one and not Duff that people wouldn't be sitting here in 2019 saying that Duff is the heart and soul of gnr and the only one with integrity and blah blah blah. 

Izzy wants money. If he wanted to play for us (the fans) he'd be doing it. End of story. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TOS--LOA said:

Is there anyone who really believes that if Izzy had been in the NITL lineup from day one and not Duff that people wouldn't be sitting here in 2019 saying that Duff is the heart and soul of gnr and the only one with integrity and blah blah blah. 

Izzy wants money. If he wanted to play for us (the fans) he'd be doing it. End of story. 

i agree, Izzy want so much money to play in the band. Shit

2 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

I agree 100%. Nobody cared during the UYI tour. No Izzy, No Steven, yet GNR was the biggest band in the world. It’s just this forum and certain members who live in their own bubble. Izzy didn’t want to tour. Simple as that. His request for equal cash was an easy out for him. He knew that demand would not be met. That’s assuming he even asked for equal cash. Perhaps the band sent him a figure and he just never return their calls. Duff said they waited for months at rehearsals and no Izzy.

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 3

I’ve never seen a group of grown men carry on like 12 year old school girls like this lot! 
I love this band, but telling things straight isn’t their strong point. they take the fans for idiots. When duff says things like he doesn’t really know what happened there (in reference to Izzy not being a part of it) does he think we are all stupid? just be honest, tell the truth and the fans can make their own decisions. It’s the same with the other elephant in the room (new album). 
what’s the big fucking deal in just being honest? Is axl such a bitch these days that no one can tell the truth on this topic? They carry on like a guns roses album is a matter of national security. It’s a rock band... a 30 yr old rock band, life doesn’t revolve around gnr!!!! who gives a shit??? stop being a bunch of jerks and just throw your own fans a fucking bone once in a while. The very fans who have lined your pockets and made you half relevant again! 
watching 50 yr old men carry on like schoolgirls really is embarrassing. Duff wearing punk as fuck t shirts doesn’t change a thing. I had massive wraps on this guy because I thought he was a stand up dude! The last 18 months especially has changed that. 
this band can do one! I hope Matt has some decent stories in his book, that’s about all there is to look forward to with this band right now. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

I’ve never seen a group of grown men carry on like 12 year old school girls like this lot! 
I love this band, but telling things straight isn’t their strong point. they take the fans for idiots. When duff says things like he doesn’t really know what happened there (in reference to Izzy not being a part of it) does he think we are all stupid? just be honest, tell the truth and the fans can make their own decisions. It’s the same with the other elephant in the room (new album). 
what’s the big fucking deal in just being honest? Is axl such a bitch these days that no one can tell the truth on this topic? They carry on like a guns roses album is a matter of national security. It’s a rock band... a 30 yr old rock band, life doesn’t revolve around gnr!!!! who gives a shit??? stop being a bunch of jerks and just throw your own fans a fucking bone once in a while. The very fans who have lined your pockets and made you half relevant again! 
watching 50 yr old men carry on like schoolgirls really is embarrassing. Duff wearing punk as fuck t shirts doesn’t change a thing. I had massive wraps on this guy because I thought he was a stand up dude! The last 18 months especially has changed that. 
this band can do one! I hope Matt has some decent stories in his book, that’s about all there is to look forward to with this band right now. 

I agree with parts of your point, but maybe That is just Axl’s wishes or maybe things are fragile and any outside influence is just bad energies. Beyoncé released an album by surprise and so have U2, so other artists have made albums  in secrecy.

19 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

i thought of this today as well, there PR is just a joke and duff coming out to talk like hes sooo cool to casually be vague is retarded 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace Spade said:

That was nice of him to call the Polish people Nazis.

Duff said: "We played a city in Poland where a couple of months earlier they had a rally with a couple of hundred thousand Nazis, basically.'

I have to imagine with a rally of that size, some of the Nazis had traveled in from other Countries? 

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree with parts of your point, but maybe That is just Axl’s wishes or maybe things are fragile and any outside influence is just bad energies. Beyoncé released an album by surprise and so have U2, so other artists have made albums  in secrecy.

If the new album is just reworked CD2 material, slash  would have less emotional attachment to these songs compared to axl. Slash just has to come up witb some guirar parts that  axl likes in my opinion nothing fragile in that. Its not like they are writing from scratch where the emotional attachment  will  be diffferent especially like the  illusion recordings.

I thought the reason the band might be cagey in talking about new music because they may want to release it via a surprise release via their website and dropping it with a days notice but i then thought the band would want to a record store blitz at the same time and may advertise  2 weeks before the date.....

I dont know why not talking about new music is a big deal.

On 12/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

just a music level duff is on par with steven, in steven's heyday i would say he was better than duff and on par with axl slash izzy 

duff is a good worker and since he got sober very $ oriented so that one dimensional thinking is coming out in the interviews 

Hahaha, you have zero credibility with that statement. I liked Adler's drumming too. And he for sure contributed to the sound of early GNR. But better than Duff, who actually contributed to the songwriting? Um ... fuck no. Sorry. Duff has also proven beyond GNR that he can put together good records. His stuff with Loaded, Velvet Revolver and his recent solo is better than anything Adler has done since he got the boot.

• Like 2

On 25. 12. 2019. at 1:39 AM, jacdaniel said:

He hated the Illusion tour. He hated that Guns got so big. He only lasted a year on the UYI tour. 
He didn’t want to stick around when VR got serious. 
He’s barely toured or done any media in 30 years. 

Several accounts from people that knew him well ALL state that he likes to do his own thing and isn’t into big commitments.

you do realize 'hated, lasted, 30 years...', you talk in past tense, right?  everything here everyone is talking about is pure speculation.  Fact Iz, when asked, Iz did not say I am not there because it is too big, I don't like them,  I don't like touring - he said they didn't want to split the loot equaly and there we stand now.

25 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Hahaha, you have zero credibility with that statement. I liked Adler's drumming too. And he for sure contributed to the sound of early GNR. But better than Duff, who actually contributed to the songwriting? Um ... fuck no. Sorry. Duff has also proven beyond GNR that he can put together good records. His stuff with Loaded, Velvet Revolver and his recent solo is better than anything Adler has done since he got the boot.

well...uhm...I do have all of Duff's solo stuff, but unlike Slash, other than Dark Days and Neurotic outsiders, his career is pretty mediocre to say the least...

Pesronally Gilby had best post GNR stuff after Slash

19 hours ago, soon said:

Duff said: "We played a city in Poland where a couple of months earlier they had a rally with a couple of hundred thousand Nazis, basically.'

I have to imagine with a rally of that size, some of the Nazis had traveled in from other Countries? 

actually now.. Duff downplayed it quiet a lot.  There was a march with a 100k+ nazis recently.  You realize how big Poland is?

https://www.euronews.com/2019/11/11/polish-far-right-groups-march-in-warsaw-on-independence-anniversary

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Like 1