*Top 10 GNR Moments 2019*

43 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Having a low point for a band is some seriously self indulgent bullshit. You’re a mod, so if you’re at a low point, then you are wasting your time. Move on. Expressing it as if it matters is silly. If the new music doesn’t move your needle, then go elsewhere to a place where you are not prone to self pity and self indulgence. And, no, you’re not contributing to a healthy dialogue. Not even close. If this band holds no interest for you and your connection to the band is express disappointment after disappointment then revaluation is in order. 

If there is any place where any of us can and should express our true feelings for said band we are emotionally connected to, it is places like these.  A low point is simply where we think it is a damn shame that GNR is content with not putting more art out in the world for people to enjoy, for allowing the crazy copyright situation to occur, to play coy in interviews, etc.  A time where we love the art so much that we get bummed that the artists behind the art are choosing seemingly monetary avenues over artistic expression

Music is a powerful entity, and one where people get invested in the musicians and bands behind the music we love, and we want them to succeed and flourish artistically.  I personally find it totally reasonable for GNR fans to find themselves frustrated that a band capable of such greatness, is knowingly choosing at this moment not to inch anywhere near their true potential.  And what greater place to express such disappointment than a place where a ton of people feel the same way?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The two things – leaks and deep cuts – basically levelled 2019 with 2018, where we had Saskatoon and HoB along with the boxset but nothing new in terms of the playlist. Each year brought something cool. And the negative stuff, too. That is here yet to influence the times to come. As for 2020, I strongly believe it won’t get any worse than these two years, i.e. there definitely will be something new. Even the shittiest management and the laziest band can’t just continue the same routine like for the last two years, not any more. 

12 hours ago, SAU3R said:

Still better than 2018 imo.. Axl seemed to be better prepared and sounded better especially on the first few shows, we've had the leaks and they played two UYI deepcuts

AND WE GOT TOYTRUCKS!!!!!1!11!!!!

He didn’t give us disasters like Berlin one this year but aside he sounded similar, WTTJs which I listened to from this year were actually worse than some 2018 ones. And he was totally out of shape this year unfortunately. And in 2018 we got SOYL and Slither live and Rock The Rock!! I think if it wasn’t for the leaks, 2018 was a little bit better but still shitty year too.

I can’t even make top 10 lol. Except leaks nothing good happened. Maybe these deep cuts.

That pic of Stephane and Susan was enticing.

Mel didn't die and now eats broccoli.

The leaks. I enjoy most of the ones with vocals. But the process of getting all of them in hand and the excitement of it all was quite enough for me anyways.

Dead Horse and Locomotive. Awesome! Although to my ears, the solo in Dead Horse - for me a pinnacle moment in Guns' catalogue - was rather dull and didnt really rise up to the level of being 'a moment' the way that a tighter and more engaged band could have done. Kind of a touchstone for this era, imho. 

Tenderness is a pretty cool song. (Shooter produced "on" it, ya know. And if you missed every single Duff interview for it: He met shooter in 2001. Shooter won a grammy on Carlisles album. His band knows what notes not to play...)

Sons of Apollo and Deadland Ritual put out some tasty tracks.

I was punk af. And so were you, dear readers. 

• Like 1

I agree that 2019 was a great year to be a hardcore GnR fan, but that’s only because of the leaks. Nonetheless, I’m still happy all that stuff finally surfaced in some shape or form, whether the band likes it or not.

Overall, this decade was a very interesting one for GnR. It started off great with the 2010 tour, then immediately became AWFUL with TB taking over the management (and saying stupid shit like “three new songs in 2014”), Rio 2011, the TMS interview, the RHOF disaster, the O2 movie shitshow, Bridge School 2012, the Kimmel Interview, awkward private rich people shows like the Bowling Alley gig, Ashba’s cringey tweets, Bumble’s temper tantrums, Pitman’s ego (“we don’t care about new music”), that towel incident (and other merch embarrassments), those pointless Vegas Residencies (and the dvd shitshow)... The list goes on.

Then it became a little bit better when Duff came back (except for the Golden Gods gig, of course), and then it became A LOT better when Slash came back and Bumble, Ashba, and Pitman walked away. NITL started off awesome (the Troubador gig on April Fools was the perfect way to start). Axl looked and sounded great (fat meme be damned!) and persisted despite breaking his leg on the first show. Seeing people like Adler and Baz and Grohl as guests was great. Axl/DC was great. The AFD box set was good for what it was.

The Izzy/Adler situation could’ve been handled better, tho. Then, of course, NITL started to drag on. Axl’s appearance and voice declined a bit again. And now here we are. Having the Village Leaks this year made up for a lot of the decline, tho (imo at least). Finally hearing this stuff that has been talked about for so long was very cathartic for me.

Then of course in the mist of all that you have all the side stuff that all of the different members did over the decade, but that’s not worth summarizing here, as it would take forever.

All in all, the decade could’ve been better, but was still a lot more fun than I thought it would be initially. If you told me in 2010 that NITL would become a reality then I would’ve called you insane. So I’m thankful we at least got that, if nothing else.

If they don’t finally release the album in 2020, then I’ll just have to come to terms with this band truly being nothing more than a nostalgia act now... but a good nostalgia act, at the very least.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

^^ This. Tbh, Lies is a stretch.

Lies is class, Lies is an era that deserved an album, a band at their artistic peak, they looked and sounded the fucking bollocks there, shame there’s only 3 new tunes worth of it but any band that was anything like a fertile creative entity would’ve slung out an album at that point, in their post Appetite pomp, they should’ve been brimming with fuckin’ tunes.  But again, shoulda woulda coulda.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I was expecting this to be a joke post. Pretty much nothing good happened this year besides the leaks and 2 deep cuts. This was by far one of the worst years to be a Guns fan. I don’t even know I consider myself a fan after this year honestly.

Lol 2003,2004,2005.

• Like 1

Leaks were fucking awesome. Not sure if I prefer 2016 or 2019. I love Slash and seeing him play ChiDem songs with Axl was a hoot in 2016, but ChiDem is my favourite album and getting to finally hear Atlas Shrugged and the rest of Hard School for the first time was amazing, all made up for what was the most expensive and probably most disappointing GNR gig I've been to.

And of course, Eye on You ;)

• Like 2

Appetite/Lies/Live from the jungle remastered in the boxset 

GN'R show in Charlotte

Leaks: I wasn't too impressed with everything, but it was nice to finally put all this to rest. Move on as a fanbase (although i'm not sure there's much to look forward to at this point)

It's So Easy music  video (or was that last year? I've lost track :lol:)

On 28/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I was expecting this to be a joke post. Pretty much nothing good happened this year besides the leaks and 2 deep cuts. This was by far one of the worst years to be a Guns fan. I don’t even know I consider myself a fan after this year honestly.

Look I agree to a point, but you still enjoy the back catalog and you're going to seek out new material if it comes out so saying you're not sure you're a fan? I don't buy it from anybody here. I don't think there's a single person who won't at least listen to a new gnr single if it comes out, and I don't think there's a single person here who doesn't still enjoy listen to at least a handful of gnr songs. Maybe we can all agree that we're no longer in the googley eyes stage with gnr... but as was proven with the 2020 tour announcement lots of us are going to the shows... and if a new record comes out lots, and lots of us will buy and listen to it (on repeat) the first day of release.

This year as a fan has been largely shit, and gnr have slipped in my estimation. I think they aren't even half as good as the band I watched in 2006 or even 2012. 

The highlights included the leaks, rock the rock (yes... even that was a lift) and sure it was nice hearing dead horse and locomotive... not that I thought either song was really nailed... especially not vocally. 

The leaks with Axl on vocals was the best for me. For 3 weeks.... maybe 4. The other instrumental shit have nothing to do with my preferences. Since Axl got back with the roots... i forgot the others ones in a sec. 

NITL ending with some deeptracks!!!! finally something for the die-hard!!

The oficial-confirmed end of NITL. Oh yeah. Just in time.... (a little delayed ending)

This was my top 3 of 2019.

And the worst moments of this year would be a loooong long fkn list.

Edited by axlvai
Adding
  • Like 1

Shitting myself when I read Hardschool was leaked and sitting at my kitchen table listening to it for the first time in disbelief. It lived up to the hype. Will never forget that. 

Working an overnight at work and deciding on a limb to check a subreddit I was on for leaks and finding that Atlas had just leaked. Realizing that I was listening to a track that we had heard so much about. 

Checking the same subreddit after wrapping up at the gym to see a song we'd never heard of called Perhaps. Skipping a post workout shower and just sitting all gross in my car baffled that something so great was seemingly sitting in a vault collecting dust for 20 years. 

I love this band. But new music is what I want more than anything now. I used to think a reunion was it. And I got that. As someone who missed everything from the 80s and 90s due to age, 2016 and 2017 were epic for me as a fan. But new music. New music that was 20 years old and had no Slash or Duff on it (something my wife just couldn't wrap her head around. "I don't get it, you're this excited over something that was recorded when you were 9 years old that never saw the light of day?") Hadn't felt anything like this since the leaks of 2006 and 2008. Shot in the vein, man. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

As if. If anybody here had a child who spent its time On Earth complaining and whining about being let down by something, yet still spending ample amount of time bitching about it you would be a huge disappointment. “GNR has let me down again, yet I’ll be be analyzing GNRs every move!” You’re complaining, pure and simple, and you still come here and say this and that. It’s ducking stupid. I imagine you are not well regarded in your personal and professional circles. But, you’re a circle jerk so who cares.

To be honest though - is complaining about people on forums complaining, better than the people complaining in the first place?   With all due respect I am seeing this whole thing as a giant "glass houses" situation.  We are all here on a GNR forum complaining about something lol myself included

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

To be honest though - is complaining about people on forums complaining, better than the people complaining in the first place?   With all due respect I am seeing this whole thing as a giant "glass houses" situation.  We are all here on a GNR forum complaining about something lol myself included

Toche. And I have no actual issue with any member here. By all accounts Russ sounds like a cool human being. But, GNR means lot to me and to come to a place that is largely negative about a GNR is sometimes demoralizing in an Internet way. I GNR honestly don’t believe in actively complaining about a band and frequently visiting a forum dedicated to that band. And, the guise of “constructive debate” is not sustainable to me.

11 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Toche. And I have no actual issue with any member here. By all accounts Russ sounds like a cool human being. But, GNR means lot to me and to come to a place that is largely negative about a GNR is sometimes demoralizing in an Internet way. I GNR honestly don’t believe in actively complaining about a band and frequently visiting a forum dedicated to that band. And, the guise of “constructive debate” is not sustainable to me.

I get what you mean.  I absolutely love GNR, and Appetite is really the album that got kid-me into music and guitar playing in a serious way so GNR will always be a special entity for me.  I think for me that is why sometimes I get more frustrated with GNR when they do not get anywhere close to reaching any of their potentials - knowing how they could be putting more amazing badass art out there in the world for people to get that level of connection from while they still are able to

I truly get Russ' frustration with it all, especially considering he is one of the people in charge of this forum and therefore is responsible for maintaining and fostering the congregation of GNR fans all for the love of the music.  So to me, and idk if this is gonna be rambling nonsense on my part (sorry if so lol) but even Russ' negative comments towards GNR, comes from a place of love of GNR in my eyes (I hope I can speak on behalf of you Russ by saying that haha)

I fucking love GNR, and that is why I go into "wtf" mode when they don't act like how any other band does and satisfies their fans with (officially released) music more often than once every decade or so :lol:   Especially when one of my other favorite bands, Tool, just recently finally did that

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2