01/31/20 - Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena **SWEET CHILD TELEVISED ON FOX**NOW WITH MORE SNOOP DOGG**

7 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just watched Sweet Child.. Agree with everyone.. Band sounded tight. Slash's solo was money.. Axl doesn't look very healthy and although he has sounded worse..... He didn't sound good. 

This sounds better than hall of fame as far as I'm concerned. Slash's playing is top, notch... drums close second.

Haven't listened and I don't think I need to for the comment I'm going to make.

What frustrates me further (aside from what lots of folk have mentioned in this thread) is from my understanding with vocal care, practice, training, and basic exercise you can rebuild you're voice for the most part. It's never going to be like what it was in ones youth, but can still be strong and powerful etc. I get the impression Axl doesn't do any of what I've listed as his voice is more often than not shockingly bad now (comparing him to himself).

If you're going to charge large amounts for tickets and continue pushing the NITL tour, at least keep you instrument and skills healthy out of respect for both yourself, bandmates and fans. For all the perfectionist comments associated with Axl of the decades, he seems far from it in a live setting, and lazy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just watched Sweet Child.. Agree with everyone.. Band sounded tight. Slash's solo was money.. Axl doesn't look very healthy and although he has sounded worse..... He didn't sound good. 

I mostly agree. I never expect SCOM to sound great and this was no exception. There are far better songs (in vocal terms) they could have picked. Slash was on point and just about saved it with his solo.

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

I saw Guns N' Roses in Berlin and a few weeks later in Leipzig. In Berlin (first show after the break) Axl Rose was very weak on Sweet Child O' Mine in Berlin. In Leipzig SCOM was really solid. And I'm not judge from some YouTube Videos.. I was there and i was really suprised that SCOM sound really good live in Leipzig. I'm pretty sure! When the tour is going, Axl will be better and more powerful on SCOM.  And we talking about SCOM. The most weak song on the current setlist. I'm going to Munich and Hamburg and Axl will be better. The first show after a break always sound weak. Tapai 2009, Rock In Rio 2011, Troubadour 2016 and Berlin 2018... after some weeks he sounded way better.

"Not judging from some youtube videos" has to be stupidest thing anyone can say in defence of a live band.

Phones pick up what you are hearing, so if it sounds good to you there it should also sound good on the phone recording. Phones don't have a filter that somehow sucjs power from certain singers voices. The problem you're probably running Into is that you were probably singing along when you saw the concert in person... thus Axl sounded better as you filled in the spaces. He hits the notes, but upon closer inspection it's not so good. 

If you were arguing that mix was good and the phone didn't do it justice, that could be a fair point... but considering the quality of recordings that phones take now it still doesn't hold much water.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FrenchGNRfan said:

Stop wasting your time talking about Axl's voice 

People come to the show to see Slash

That is why I go. To see Slash and Duff play the Guns classics. I haven't been a fan of Axl in 20 years and he hasn't done anything during the reunion to win me back over.  It is icing on the cake when he does sound good. Unfortunately aside from a handful of exceptions he can't consistently sound good for an entire song, only a line here and there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FrenchGNRfan said:

Stop wasting your time talking about Axl's voice 

People come to the show to see Slash

I will say, at the 2 NITLT shows I caught, Slash was a presence that was just as big if not bigger than Axl both sonically and on the big screen.  I know people always complain about "shredder Slash" of modern times but honestly as far as I am concerned he is the MVP of this reunion

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bdinan said:

People who say they "prefer" the mickey mouse falsetto are literally only saying that because that's all we have left. A fat man pushing 60 with a wig that Donald Trump could laugh at, squeaking out all these songs. It's an embarrassment and needs to be laid to rest. I remember when Guns N' Roses were "cool." There was a dangerous element to the band. It's a complete and utter joke now. Axl is a parody of himself. 

I know people aren't gonna be pleased with some of those words, but it's tough love time. You can't keep feeding into a mediocre product, because if you keep paying for this garbage, that's all you're gonna get. It's been what, going on four years since this sham, cash grab reunion? And what have we gotten; a painful to listen to version of Slither? Wichita Lineman - which is probably one of the songs Axl does better these days, but what Guns fan actually gives a crap about this song? A cringeworthy tribute version of Black Hole Sun? 

We've gotten as close to nothing new(officially at least) since the band got back together. There's no new single. No new album. I'd stop holding my breath or following the shows. You want the set for the next show? Look at the set for the last show. 

I understand you bringing up his voice because we go to GNR shows to hear the band. But why bring up comments about weight and hair? It's fuckin' dumb. Firstly, because we simply don't know.

But do you bring up hair extensions or wigs every time a female performer is on stage lip syncing through her entire set? I bet not. There is such a stigma in society when a guy gets hair plugs, extensions, wears wigs, etc. but for women, no one bats an eye. Why is that? Chicks in their 20s are out here wearing extensions or wigs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If you were arguing that mix was good and the phone didn't do it justice, that could be a fair point... but considering the quality of recordings that phones take now it still doesn't hold much water.

I have found every concert I've been to, without fail, has sounded better live than through a phone, especially when it's a full band and not an acoustic performance. So I'm not sure what your rant was about. The person was simply stating he is judging based on attending live, not listening through a cell phone. That's all some people around here do, apparently, is listen to livestreams and complain and say they won't spend their money.

Edited by GnR Chris

2 minutes ago, Creed said:

I respect your opinion, but you dont get it. A shitty Axl would be ok, if Steven/Matt Gilby/Izzy are on stage, too. But since they are not, its a farce.

Its Duff, Slash and a shitty Axl.

I am not exactly sure of your point but I have been saying all along that having more of the classic members on stage would help to offset Axl's shortcoming.  

• Like 1

I think what's noticable is Axl has lost that sharp edge to his voice. I'm not necessarily talking about rasp, but in the past (even as recently as say Europe 2017) his voice still had a certain sharp element that helped it cut through.

Nowdays it is sooo airy sounding and it just doesn't have any incision to it. When he tries any form of rasp, it's mega unstable and is now limited as to how high he can go with it.

Effectively, I think he has wrecked his upper register as well as having quite a disconnected mid (which started to become more obvious from 2011 onwards). It's still a useable (Just!) but it's really sounding worn now and I fear no amount of rest is going to get it back to that sharp sound he once had.

• Like 3