01/31/20 - Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena **SWEET CHILD TELEVISED ON FOX**NOW WITH MORE SNOOP DOGG**

2 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Prob not their choice

Gotta disagree. The VMAs were not only worse, but were watched by way more people. Nobody was watching this at 11PM Sat night before the SB 

I'm not so sure. You definitely are right about the VMA'S being watched by WAY more people, plus the fact that crowd was minimal compared to all the musicians/celebrities in attendance so there's that, too. 

It's all objective, so to say it was worse or was better, it depends. Axl definitely looked better, but he looked "different" due to it being 18 years ago, of course, his attire, the cornrows, the Botox. 

Vocally, the VMA "Jungle" intro alone outdoes that horrendous Sweet Child performance. Axl had a pretty awesome extended scream before it all went downhill, unfortunately but it had other glimpses of greatness. 

Madagascar, to me, sounded wonderful. Not because it technically sounded good (he'd sing it MUCH better during the 2002 tour) but it was something new, therefore exciting. 

Paradise City was awful, but his "Round 1" shout-out, it showed he had something to prove. He just didn't prove it that night. If they'd have broadcast MSG 2002's "The Blues" or something, it'd have been spectacular. 

Just another opinion. I know not many would agree. But really.... At least at the VMA'S, Axl still kinda moved/danced liked Axl, was energetic, got winded but had an excuse. He was running all over the place. The other night, he just sounded flat, no power in a single note. It's depressing to even think about. I feel bad for him. But can he still deliver a great live vocal when/if he wants? Hell yes. 

3 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

Axl sounded and looked 100 times better in 2002 than he does now. There is a stark difference between Axl's clean singing (2002) and Axl's mickey singing (2011-present). The 2002 VMA's Axl/Guns N' Roses is a dream compared to what we have now.

Not sure I’d go this far. I get the frustration. but the 2002 tour singing with power was not what happened at the vmas that night 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Prob not their choice

Gotta disagree. The VMAs were not only worse

Worse in what way? I've never understood why people think the 2002 VMA performance was so bad. In fact, think his voice was spot on, along with his stage presence. At this point, he is the charismatic Axl Rose that I knew from the 80's and 90's. I am watching it again right now and reminds of me of the excitement I felt the first time I watched in 2002. I had a lot of excitement and anticipation for Axl and Guns N' Roses back then. I was sure Chinese Democracy was right around the corner along with new epic Guns N' Roses videos. Axl had assembled the most amazing musicians on the planet and was poised to take over the world!

All that drive, vision, and purpose Axl had then, is nowhere to be found today.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

But can he still deliver a great live vocal when/if he wants? Hell yes. 

Im not so sure about that. If you buy into the argument ‘he holds back so he doesn’t blow his voice out while on tour’ then this was a prime opportunity to give that little bit more. He knew he’d be on national TV, and there’s a decent break until the next show get his vocals back in shape.

I just don’t think he can sing the GNR ballads anymore - and it’s been that way for years. I don’t think people would care about the aesthetics of his appearance if he still sounded like Axl. But the combination of how he looks, moves and sings in a weak falsetto makes him look pretty cringe at times.

Like I said in the previous post - a new album of great tunes in his low-mid register and they could just move on from playing live and him being by far the weakest link in a super talented band

13 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

The fuck was that?

Jesus...

Ok, that was absolutely the funniest thing I've seen in awhile.😄  The first guy singing is Randy Owen of Alabama and I thought it couldn't get any worse then ole Meat started in.  Good god almighty, words can't describe that. It's almost like he was taking the piss for singing so badly but he wasn't. 

• Like 2

Axl  isn't fat, he looks "puffed", the look you get when on a heavy pill addiction. it was the same with elvis: elvis wasn't really fat, it was the pills that made him "look" fat, especially in the face. look up the effects of stuff like dilaudid, demerol etc. it also explains his dulled behaviour. elvis and jackson both died of a pill addiction. I hope Axl will not go the same route. who is Axl's physician? 

Edited by action

6 hours ago, Creed said:

Adele, Beth Ditto, Pavarotti, Meat Loaf...there are a lot of fat singers who can sing good stuff. The fat Axl - bad voice conclusion is useless. He wasnt fat at the vmas 2002. And his voice was bad.

GettyImages-EA2417-003-59020c4d5f9b5810d

This is what peak performance looks like.

Some of you may not like it but its the way it is.

8 minutes ago, action said:

Axl is isn't fat, he looks "puffed", the look you get when on a heavy pill addiction. it was the same with elvis: elvis wasn't really fat, it was the pills that made him "look" fat, especially in the face. look up the effects of stuff like dilaudid, demerol etc. it also explains his dulled behaviour. elvis and jackson both died of a pill addiction. I hope Axl will not go the same route. who is Axl's physician? 

I'm a huge Elvis fan but to say that he wasn't grossly overweight at the end of his life would be false. You're right in that those drugs can give a puffy appearance when abused but Elvis was way past that.  His diet was probably the most unhealthy in the history of mankind.  As far as Axl, those are just accusations on your part.

47 minutes ago, action said:

Axl is isn't fat, he looks "puffed", the look you get when on a heavy pill addiction. it was the same with elvis: elvis wasn't really fat, it was the pills that made him "look" fat, especially in the face. look up the effects of stuff like dilaudid, demerol etc. it also explains his dulled behaviour. elvis and jackson both died of a pill addiction. I hope Axl will not go the same route. who is Axl's physician? 

heaven forbid.  :unsure::no:

1 hour ago, action said:

Let’s stick to the facts

14 hours ago, bdinan said:

I've come to grips with it. It's a nostalgia act. Kudos to the guys for milking it this long. I'm never gonna fault an artist for taking advantage of dumb people. They've milked this cash cow excessively long with no end in sight. Remarkable business management. 

No offence to anyone who goes to the shows, but that is exactly what the majority of NITL has been. That, and people telling themselves "yeah, but they might be better at my show".

13 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

If you're going to charge large amounts for tickets and continue pushing the NITL tour, at least keep you instrument and skills healthy out of respect for both yourself, bandmates and fans.

Exactly. They've shown time and time again that they just don't give a shit, just as long as the money keeps coming in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, action said:

Axl  isn't fat, he looks "puffed", the look you get when on a heavy pill addiction. it was the same with elvis: elvis wasn't really fat, it was the pills that made him "look" fat, especially in the face. look up the effects of stuff like dilaudid, demerol etc. it also explains his dulled behaviour. elvis and jackson both died of a pill addiction. I hope Axl will not go the same route. who is Axl's physician? 

Everyone is physically different and metabolisms may change with age, I just don't think there is much in terms of productivity on our side of things to see an older Axl with a few extra pounds and go straight to "Axl might die just like Elvis" lol

Edited by WhazUp

5 hours ago, Estrangedfx said:

I'm not so sure. You definitely are right about the VMA'S being watched by WAY more people, plus the fact that crowd was minimal compared to all the musicians/celebrities in attendance so there's that, too. 

It's all objective, so to say it was worse or was better, it depends. Axl definitely looked better, but he looked "different" due to it being 18 years ago, of course, his attire, the cornrows, the Botox. 

Vocally, the VMA "Jungle" intro alone outdoes that horrendous Sweet Child performance. Axl had a pretty awesome extended scream before it all went downhill, unfortunately but it had other glimpses of greatness. 

Madagascar, to me, sounded wonderful. Not because it technically sounded good (he'd sing it MUCH better during the 2002 tour) but it was something new, therefore exciting. 

Paradise City was awful, but his "Round 1" shout-out, it showed he had something to prove. He just didn't prove it that night. If they'd have broadcast MSG 2002's "The Blues" or something, it'd have been spectacular. 

Just another opinion. I know not many would agree. But really.... At least at the VMA'S, Axl still kinda moved/danced liked Axl, was energetic, got winded but had an excuse. He was running all over the place. The other night, he just sounded flat, no power in a single note. It's depressing to even think about. I feel bad for him. But can he still deliver a great live vocal when/if he wants? Hell yes. 

Axl sounds awesome in Nighttrain last night, and the ending of you're crazy. If only he can find some way to use his baritone to do the ballads, it'd be awesome. And even though he sounds horrendous on scom, he holds all the notes till the end. So I didn't lose all hope for his voice.

12 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

When I heard Sweet Child O' Mine in Berlin... I thought it sounds absoluty shit.. When I heard Sweet Child O' Mine in Leipzig... I thought "hey it's sounds pretty good, better than Berlin". Both witness from FOS 1.  What is your problem?

Read my comment. No problem with you enjoying it, but if you (or anyone else) say I can't tell if it's good or bad because I wasn't there in person, you don't know what you're talking about... if you're not saying that, then there is no problem :)  I have been to GNR gigs, as well as countless other bands where it sounded great in the venue, but when I listened back to it either with pro recordings or camera recordings the vocal or other things were not on form, but the energy and volume of the crowd disguised it at the time.

Checked out the Leipzig performance, it was grand definitely better than both the superbowl and Berlin.

• Like 2

Geez people. I finally watched the SCOM performance. I was expecting some vocal disaster based on comments here. That was far from the worst in recent years. It wasn't 1980s level but it wasn't THAT bad. I'd say about average or slightly above for NITL.

They definitely knew which song would be used. Everything from Duff seated for the opening bass line to Axl not wearing an offensive shirt indicates that. Also, it was no accident that 99% of the screen time was A, S and D. There was a slight glimpse of Richard. Frank got a few seconds. I don't think you could see Dizzy if you tried and you'd only notice Melissa if you knew to look. I'm sure that was planned with input from the band and/or TB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

Geez people. I finally watched the SCOM performance. I was expecting some vocal disaster based on comments here. That was far from the worst in recent years. It wasn't 1980s level but it wasn't THAT bad. I'd say about average or slightly above for NITL.

They definitely knew which song would be used. Everything from Duff seated for the opening bass line to Axl not wearing an offensive shirt indicates that. Also, it was no accident that 99% of the screen time was A, S and D. There was a slight glimpse of Richard. Frank got a few seconds. I don't think you could see Dizzy if you tried and you'd only notice Melissa if you knew to look. I'm sure that was planned with input from the band and/or TB.

Well, seemed like Frank and Kat got plenty of TV time to me.

I guess with all the good will dripping from this televised performance they should parlay it into another world tour...