What if GNR never split up and released 5 or 6 albums ?

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There is a kind of magic to that song and like...it hasn't been able to bear scrutiny for me through most of my like awareness of it but it occurs to me now why its so good and I think, perhaps, its that the lyrics don't fit there tune.  The tune is kinda hyped, the music I mean, energetic...but the lyrics are like sappy love ballad stuff and it somehow works together when it shouldn't.  I think thats perhaps it, something to do with the coming together of those two kind of incongruent elements.  If you heard that tune without the lyrics you would feel that it was some kind of hard rock, punk tune...the last place in the world that you would expect sincere sentimental lyrics.

The proof of a lyric or lyrics I think is less to do with how they work written down because quite frankly 99.9% percent of rock lyrics are absolute bollocks just as pieces of writing (there are some examples that could be called exceptions, Dylan, bits of Leonard Cohen and some others) but its how they work when set to music and 14 years is one of my favourite ever GnR tracks and always has been, ever since I first heard it...Dust n Bones too.

You make a good point. The lyrics of Think About You never bothered me that much, but when I think about it I realize how awful they really are to me.

With Patience they kind of stick out though because it's a ballad and the way Axl sings it... another Izzy lyric, isn't it? ...''shed a tear 'cause I'm missing you... girl I think about you every day now''... oh jeez, fuck off already, that's something you would expect a Backstreet Boy to sing and even then it would be too sappy.

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You make a good point. The lyrics of Think About You never bothered me that much, but when I think about it I realize how awful they really are to me.

With Patience they kind of stick out though because it's a ballad and the way Axl sings it... another Izzy lyric, isn't it? ...''shed a tear 'cause I'm missing you... girl I think about you every day now''... oh jeez, fuck off already, that's something you would expect a Backstreet Boy to sing and even then it would be too sappy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being direct though, I mean a lot of great songs are emotionally direct.  It works cuz the music makes it work and its written for that music.  Also, to Axls credit, its about the sincerity or the percieved sincerity with which a lyric is delivered that makes it powerful.  Don't get me wrong, I get what you mean but it works too, there's a time for cryptic or a clever turn of phrase or an analagous couplet that makes you look at a familar idea from a unfamiliar perspective, like the way someone like Kurt Cobain might come from with a song like About a Girl and then there's a time for the direct too.  Overall I think its the song and the music and how it works in relation to that and Patience, to me, works like a motherfucker. 

• Like 2

'Think About You' is a simple 'boy meets girl' pop lyric fitting a simply pop-rock song, and is not too dissimilar to 'Sweet Child'. It is a fruitless exercise to look for lyrical complexity, subjective inflection say or topicality, in a simple pop-rock song. One wouldn't look at 'She Loves You' expecting to find 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands'. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, action said:

steven would have died of OD before the 3rd album, Duff around the spaghetti incident (since we're hypothesing they would still have toured after 1993) shortly followed by slash.

Yanks, by and large, can’t handle their drink and drugs, its a genetic fact, these fraggles were only on it for about 5 years, look at my mate Keith Richards, he was still doing ching in his mid 60s and falling out of coconut trees like a madhead.  Or Keith Moon, or Oliver Reed, or Richard Burton, people from these shores know how to do drugs, these yanks just can’t hack it.  There are of course exceptions, Hunter Thompson, Robert Mitchum, William Burroughs, Ernest Hemmingway.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yanks, by and large, can’t handle their drink and drugs, its a genetic fact, these fraggles were only on it for about 5 years, look at my mate Keith Richards, he was still doing ching in his mid 60s and falling out of coconut trees like a madhead.  Or Keith Moon, or Oliver Reed, or Richard Burton, people from these shores know how to do drugs, these yanks just can’t hack it.  There are of course exceptions, Hunter Thompson, Robert Mitchum, William Burroughs, Ernest Hemmingway.  

Keith moon is probably a bad example considering he died of an overdose at a relatively young age. Also, add Charlie Sheen to your list of exceptions lol

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with being direct though, I mean a lot of great songs are emotionally direct.  It works cuz the music makes it work and its written for that music.  Also, to Axls credit, its about the sincerity or the percieved sincerity with which a lyric is delivered that makes it powerful.  Don't get me wrong, I get what you mean but it works too, there's a time for cryptic or a clever turn of phrase or an analagous couplet that makes you look at a familar idea from a unfamiliar perspective, like the way someone like Kurt Cobain might come from with a song like About a Girl and then there's a time for the direct too.  Overall I think its the song and the music and how it works in relation to that and Patience, to me, works like a motherfucker. 

I like it when lyrics are direct, but I don't care for them being sappy or cliché, that is what I dislike most about those particular Izzy lyrics.

About A Girl is a good example actually. It's a love song without being too obvious and sentimental but it's still not cryptic, yet he managed to write a love song without sounding like Bryan Adams (or Izzy Stradlin?). But hey, a lot of people like sappy lyrics, so that is great.

Edited by EvanG

2 minutes ago, mamundson said:

What if I kept a Unicorn in my pocket, that granted wishes?

Then we'd have a new album by now, and Axl would have his voice back. 

Just now, djones1225 said:

Then we'd have a new album by now, and Axl would have his voice back. 

Hell you could find a unicorn and put it in your pocket by the time a new album is released.

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

True but only by accident...32 undigested pills were found in his system, you can’t argue with that :lol: 

You can  add John Bonham to that list as well. Though his death was accidental.

Edited by Sydney Fan

26 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

You can  add John Bonham to that list as well. Though his death was accidental.

Bonzo, there you, another example!  Good old hard-wearing Midlands factory fodder, like Ozzy Osbourne, constitution of a fuckin’ horses, though I don’t think much of their music.

Unless they had a Beggars - Exile-type run in them (highly unlikely considering how messed up they were at the end of the UYI Tour)- they probably only would have hurt themselves by sticking around, and releasing albums to diminishing returns throughout the 90s. Inadvertently, it ended up being the best play by far to be “frozen in time” in their late 20s/early 30s as a dangerous, stadium-level act with sex appeal...

11 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Keith moon is probably a bad example considering he died of an overdose at a relatively young age. Also, add Charlie Sheen to your list of exceptions lol

He died from an overdose of Heminevrin, ironically a drug to treat alcoholism. 

I really feel if that happened, this band would be talked about as one of the best or the best rock bands in history.  Surpassing the Stones. There also would be a huge attitude difference from the fans and a whole lot less bitching in this forum.  This band is still very highly regarded and public opinion seems to have improved since the 2016 reunion.  Unfortunately, they will always be tagged for “what could have been”.  They threw it all away at the height of their popularity.   

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

They would've been just another band from Seattle. If they were around today they would probably be seen the same way Pearl Jam is.

Probably, their popularity was already declining a bit by late 1993 compared to the hype around them in 1991/1992.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yourcrazy said:

I really feel if that happened, this band would be talked about as one of the best or the best rock bands in history.  Surpassing the Stones. There also would be a huge attitude difference from the fans and a whole lot less bitching in this forum.  This band is still very highly regarded and public opinion seems to have improved since the 2016 reunion.  Unfortunately, they will always be tagged for “what could have been”.  They threw it all away at the height of their popularity.   

Only in their dreams. 

I think they would have faded away.  I think what made AFD so groundbreaking and timeless is the band lived what they sang. No posing, no pretentiousness, no bullshit. While the Sunset Strip was pushing out cockrock and partying, Gn'R were Les Paul's and heroin.  What made the band so famous was the exact same thing that blew it apart. Volatile, dangerous and unpredictable. Had the five managed to stay together and not have drama, there would never be an album as good as AFD.  That kind of lifestyle would mean the five would be at war with each other constantly.