Which resonates with you more- music or lyrics?

Gibson87

I had this discussion with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. I was listening to some EDM instrumental and she told me she didn't like that the vocals had been removed from the song and that words resonate with her more than the music itself. I on the other hand, don't really get anything out of the lyrics.

With that in mind, which type are you? Do you connect more with music or lyrics?

Good question.

As a huge fan of a band with lyrics like OIAM and Get in the Ring, Im tempted to say I like the music more! :lol:

But Im a folky at heart so a finger picked guitar and lyrics seem so deeply intertwined to me.

Hmmm and I also really like instrumental music like jazz. So I can think to use Gershwin's Summertime as an example. And to be honest, I like both the instrumental 'demo' and Joplins cover with the lyrics.

So thats my non answer I guess :lol:

It's a bit of chicken & egg for me. It usually takes something catchy (musically) to get my attention but then it takes good lyrics to keep me hooked. 

Overall, lyrics are super important to me. However, something has to be happening that interests me musically first. 

• Like 4

My hero, Jeff Beck, plays songs that were written and recorded as instrumentals and he also plays instrumental version of songs that originally had lyrics. 

Among the shit tons of things he does with excellence is the way he covers songs that originally had vocals. He plays them as instrumentals that feature the vocal melody played on guitar. They're great! I always still hear the lyrics in my head. I think that he captures the essence and emotion of the lyrics in his performance. Sometimes I think he perfects the lyrics with his playing.  Chet Atkins does this well too!

What I wouldn't like as much is songs where the vocals are removed, but there is no instruments playing the vocal melody. Where that part is just 'missing.'

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, soon said:

Good question.

As a huge fan of a band with lyrics like OIAM and Get in the Ring, Im tempted to say I like the music more! :lol:

But Im a folky at heart so a finger picked guitar and lyrics seem so deeply intertwined to me.

Hmmm and I also really like instrumental music like jazz. So I can think to use Gershwin's Summertime as an example. And to be honest, I like both the instrumental 'demo' and Joplins cover with the lyrics.

So thats my non answer I guess :lol:

Warning: this may sound pretentious :lol:

I connect emotionally with the instrumental side if that makes sense. There'll be moments with a lot of the songs on CD where I'll get chills because the instrumental side of things spoke to me and whatever it is I'm feeling at the time. A song like Estranged will hit really hard if I'm in the right mindset because of the emotion that just pours out of the instruments. I guess the mood of the song has a lot to do with how I hear it. 

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I connect emotionally with the instrumental.... 

It's probably because I'm downtown Detroit right now AND drunk, but I swear, I read that as "I second that emotion" at first. I was excited then I was like "Wait. That's not even what he said" lol. 

Carry on. 

• Haha 2

I suppose the music is more important, it's crucial. While the lyrics are also very important, a song can still work for me without lyrics or if the lyrics are very basic, but it won't be nearly as good compared to a song with great lyrics. If the lyrics are cringe worthy it detracts from the enjoyment of the song for me.

Instrumental music, when done right, is just as enjoyable for me even if it's a different kind of a feeling I get from it. Nothing can provide the same impact when both music and lyrics fit together perfectly, especially if the music and the lyrics of a song can stand on their own cause they are that good.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Music music music music music music music.  You could have no lyrics at all and music is still fuckin' amazing.  I mean its called music innit, listening to music, being into music.  Lyrics are great but look, they are clearly secondary by far cuz like...how popular is poetry as a standalone thing in the 21st Century (or even post war 20th) without music?  What makes you move, the thing, the magical mystical inexplicable thing is the tunes, lyrics is just a side thing.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I can strut about like a right little twat with a certain bit of music going round in my head. A riff, a groove, a guitar solo or whatever can make me feel superhuman.

If I'm down, music can get me up very quickly.

Lyrics, while they can be great and add to a song, don't have anywhere near the same effect on me. They don't hit me in the gut in the same way as the tune itself.

So music, definitely.

12 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I connect emotionally with the instrumental side if that makes sense. There'll be moments with a lot of the songs on CD where I'll get chills because the instrumental side of things spoke to me and whatever it is I'm feeling at the time. A song like Estranged will hit really hard if I'm in the right mindset because of the emotion that just pours out of the instruments. I guess the mood of the song has a lot to do with how I hear it. 

Ha, well pretentious shit nourishes my soul :shrugs::lol::headbang:

But I dont find this all that pretentious really. This makes a lot of sense to me. I think CD especially is something I can relate to about the music being the main factor that gives me feelings. The heavy guitar sections in Prostitute hold so much more meaning than the lyrics (even though i like those lyrics a lot)

Your question really got me thinking. And I think that when it comes to rock its the feel of the music and not the lyrics that moves me, but in some other forms the words are just as resonant as the music. Like take Tom Petty - he's a favourite lyricist of mine. And I love his song "You Dont Know How It Feels" wherein he seems to have run out of words in a verse where he sings "think of me what you will, Ive got a little space to fill" and then a guitar fill closes out the verse in place of more lyrics! :lol: Its perfect in its silliness, and I think that kinda speaks to lyrics place in rock music. I mean this song really moves me and it cant be lyrics like that are moving me, right? haha

2:50-3:10ish

• GNFNR 1