Music to be Murdered By - Eminem

Len Cnut

Sucks when you can't get into one of your favorites anymore. I rate this one about the same as his last 3 or 4, there's a couple of good songs and that's about it. And even the good ones don't feel like they'll have much replay value for me. It'll probably end up being like Kamikaze, a few songs I kinda like but aren't good enough for me to go back and listen to later on. I'm not sure I've listened to anything from Kamikaze since it was still sorta new.

Relapse is the last album I can truly say I liked. Between what he raps about now, the production, and all the same-y sing-y chorus', my boy just doesn't do it for me anymore. Oh well, it happens.

Still ain't listened to it properly but its really pretty good, Unaccomodating is sick, You Gon' Learn is sick, Alfred interlude is pure fuckin' class, Those Kinda Nights is pretty good, In Too Deep, uhhh...its alright I suppose, not really my cup of tea, Godzilla is pretty good, Darkness is pretty good too, good intent anyway, Yah Yah is fuckin' class, nice little Busta Rhymes WOO HAA sample in there.  thats abpout all I've listened to.

58 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

It's my favorite tune I loved it 

I dunno what it is but I’m getting a little too old for morose music.  I mean I don’t mind it coming from 80 yr old ex sharecroppers, they got something to moan about but like, your average rockstar and that its like why am I listening to you moan you cunt, I’m the one working a 9 hour shift for less money than it takes to heat your swimming pool, I should be moaning at you.

• Like 1

Yah Yah and I will are ok. Probably the only ones I can see myself listening to in the future.

17 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Eminem's best days are behind him. I haven't liked much of what he's done since 'Relapse'.

Yeah, pre Relapse, I love the guy. Post Relapse, I just can't really listen to him at all. It almost hurts my feelings.

Relapse is the last album that really felt like Eminem to me. I just couldn't get into his flow and personality change after that. And production wise, that was his last album with top notch production. His beat selection since then ranges from bad to forgettable.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 3:18 AM, J Dog said:

Yah Yah and I will are ok. Probably the only ones I can see myself listening to in the future.

Yeah, pre Relapse, I love the guy. Post Relapse, I just can't really listen to him at all. It almost hurts my feelings.

Relapse is the last album that really felt like Eminem to me. I just couldn't get into his flow and personality change after that. And production wise, that was his last album with top notch production. His beat selection since then ranges from bad to forgettable.

Relapse was proper fuckin' moaney man.  Revival I never listened to, had too many pop artists featuring on it so I almost felt like, OK, I think I got an idea what direction this albums going in.  Of the later the ones I like Marshal Mathers LP 2, Kamikaze and this one a fair bit.  I mean I ain't listening to em tons but they're at least of a style and with a kind of music I can enjoy.

Eminem's finally fixed the tailspin he fell into with Revival, but it still feels like he's coasting now. This album is actually surprisingly solid and well put together for the most part, and I enjoy most of it well enough, but nothing on it knocks me on my ass or feels like something I'll still be listening to even a month or two from now. I'm glad he's dialed back that annoyingly choppy, raspy shouting flow he's been using so much the past few years, and it's nice to hear some actual rappers guesting on an Eminem album again too. The only song I outright fucking hate is Stepdad though, the bars themselves are so cringey and there's something really...off about a nearly 50 year old man rapping about a stepdad he had 40 years ago.

On 24. 01. 2020. at 12:18 PM, Len Cnut said:

I don’t think people in their middle age make pop music that will knock you on your arse, I just don’t think it happens.

Also, when you get into middle age, very few things can knock you on your arse 😂

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:20 AM, Len Cnut said:

Relapse was proper fuckin' moaney man.  Revival I never listened to, had too many pop artists featuring on it so I almost felt like, OK, I think I got an idea what direction this albums going in.  Of the later the ones I like Marshal Mathers LP 2, Kamikaze and this one a fair bit.  I mean I ain't listening to em tons but they're at least of a style and with a kind of music I can enjoy.

Yeah but I can at least listen to Relapse. I can't really listen to any of the others at all. MMLP2 did have a couple tracks I liked. Rap God was an instant classic. Brainless was good. That's about all I remember from that one.

Idk just can't get into the guy anymore. It took me a couple of albums to accept it but I'm kinda over him at this point.

Oh, Bad Meets Evil. Now I liked that.

Edited by J Dog

Kamikaze is probably his best overall album since his comeback... Relapse could've been a great album if he hadn't used those awful accents or released shit like Insane. Then he had that bad habit of trying to please everybody for most of the 2010's, Recovery had some good tracks and a lot of filler, MMLP2 could've been great if all the album and bonus tracks tracks were condensed into one solid album, and Revival was just hard to listen to... Kamikaze was basically the type of modern Eminem album I wanted. Music To Be Murdered By has some great moments but it could've been condensed into a better project... it's still one of his best albums since his comeback though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 10:07 PM, J Dog said:

Sucks when you can't get into one of your favorites anymore. I rate this one about the same as his last 3 or 4, there's a couple of good songs and that's about it. And even the good ones don't feel like they'll have much replay value for me. It'll probably end up being like Kamikaze, a few songs I kinda like but aren't good enough for me to go back and listen to later on. I'm not sure I've listened to anything from Kamikaze since it was still sorta new.

Relapse is the last album I can truly say I liked. Between what he raps about now, the production, and all the same-y sing-y chorus', my boy just doesn't do it for me anymore. Oh well, it happens.

I thought Kamikaze would have made a great EP, but was bogged down with some filler in the second half. 

This, however? I literally couldn't even get the whole way through it, and I used to be pretty obsessed with Eminem. He needs to start working with better producers. The angry yelling flow he has is reaching levels of self-parody. I went back to his late 90s output recently and it's like listening to a completely different rapper.

I mean, listen to this. These are the kind of laid back flows he needs to go back to.

https://youtu.be/IUfVqcjdd0w

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Kamikaze is probably his best overall album since his comeback... Relapse could've been a great album if he hadn't used those awful accents or released shit like Insane. Then he had that bad habit of trying to please everybody for most of the 2010's, Recovery had some good tracks and a lot of filler, MMLP2 could've been great if all the album and bonus tracks tracks were condensed into one solid album, and Revival was just hard to listen to... Kamikaze was basically the type of modern Eminem album I wanted. Music To Be Murdered By has some great moments but it could've been condensed into a better project... it's still one of his best albums since his comeback though.

I think recovery and mmlp2 are my favorites since his comeback. Recovery got a lot of flak but I actually like the ballads like going through changes and I didn't mind most of the tracks. 

Mmlp2 is his best all around record since his prime though, I reckon. 

5 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

I think recovery and mmlp2 are my favorites since his comeback. Recovery got a lot of flak but I actually like the ballads like going through changes and I didn't mind most of the tracks. 

Mmlp2 is his best all around record since his prime though, I reckon. 

I actually listened to a couple Recovery tracks the other day and man, they have not aged well. Some of the production sounds like other cheap pop tracks that were popular around 2010 (obviously), and how a song like Not Afraid was a huge hit still confuses me :lol:

MMLP2 has a lot of good songs, but it's a mess of an album. The 5 bonus tracks and Don't Front all should've been included on the regular version of the album. It definitely could've been his best all around album since his comeback but there's a fair amount of filler on it. Kamikaze is his most cohesive and consistently good album since his comeback, and it's the only album that I wish was longer instead of shorter.

This is the MMLP2 playlist I usually listen to:

Spoiler

Parking Lot (skit)
Rap God
Bad Guy
Groundhog Day
The Monster
Wicked Ways
(Ken Kaniff Skit)
Berzerk
Baby
Love Game
So Far...
Desperation
Don't Front
Evil Twin

sometimes add Beautiful Pain before Evil Twin.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:18 AM, Len Cnut said:

I don’t think people in their middle age make pop music that will knock you on your arse, I just don’t think it happens.

Maybe not pop, but there's a lot of interesting directions the dude could've gone in that would've continued to wow or excite, instead of basically becoming a parody of himself for the past decade. I used to be obsessed with this dude and it's really a shame that a month after his newest album dropped, I haven't felt a need to listen to it or any of its songs again in probably 3 weeks. I wish the dude would stop obsessing about his public reception and just do whatever he wants, instead of trying to play to the perception of what he is or used to be.

2 hours ago, chevelle said:

Maybe not pop, but there's a lot of interesting directions the dude could've gone in that would've continued to wow or excite, instead of basically becoming a parody of himself for the past decade. I used to be obsessed with this dude and it's really a shame that a month after his newest album dropped, I haven't felt a need to listen to it or any of its songs again in probably 3 weeks. I wish the dude would stop obsessing about his public reception and just do whatever he wants, instead of trying to play to the perception of what he is or used to be.

Perhaps he doesn't really want anything and therein lies the problem.  Perhaps when your whole motivation is and always has been being angry about something then that kinda is what your direction is/what you're about.

15 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Perhaps he doesn't really want anything and therein lies the problem.  Perhaps when your whole motivation is and always has been being angry about something then that kinda is what your direction is/what you're about.

That's a good point, actually. He's mined just about every personal grievance a person could have at this point, and I remember him admitting on a song around the MMLP2 era that he'd basically said it all. It's just crazy that we could live in a chaotic world like the one we're in now and someone as smart as Em could have so little to say about it. Darkness was one of the best songs on Music to Be Murdered By because he was actually looking out at the world around him, imo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...