On This Day - January 19th 1994.- Axl’s last public appearance until 1998

10 minutes ago, soon said:

I really dont like the arrangement they played. And it seems Axl and The Boss couldnt get off stage fast enough. A very cool part of the story of Axl though.

Right, Bruce looked a little bit embarrassed after the song. Axl looked at him after waving at the crowd for a moment but he tried to leave as soon as possible lol. For me it's a cool rendition. Not like MJ or Gary Cooper Jr but as an Impromptu, it's good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Gotta politely disagree. There were many, many entire shows from '06-'10, but especially '10 where he could not have been any more kick ass and channeling his younger self. Sure, he didn't have the raw, visceral, unhinged energy from the Illusions tours when we know he was melting down over a million personal and legal problems and letting it all out on stage. But he could not have given more at time in 2010 unless he was still in that crazy, damaged headspace and going out in a very destructive way. But you look at the way he moved, performed, gestured, the look in his eyes, how connected to the music and in the zone he was, he couldn't have given more. I literally haven't bothered watching a single NITL video since 2016 apart from e.g. Locomotive or butchered TIL because I see through him and it's boring. He ain't that guy from '06-'10 who was still hungry as fuck, had something to prove and wanted it. And i'm not talking about the voice: that's almost a by-product. NITL Axl, at least from 2017 on, really does seem like he's on anti-depressants and is just kinda there. Sure, he runs around and there's a certain necessary degree of effort but it ain't THAT guy. 

I think that sums up why a CD2 never was going to happen. With the legal hassles going on he probably just wanted to tour, make money and that was it.  With a lot of legal stuff going on , a new album in the environment he was in, was probably the last thing he wanted to do. Maybe the tour money was also to be stashed away incase any litigation against him was successful.

3 hours ago, soon said:

I really dont like the arrangement they played. And it seems Axl and The Boss couldnt get off stage fast enough. A very cool part of the story of Axl though.

Axl and Bruce look uncomfortabe, and Axl movements on stage look weird too. I guess that Axl feel more comfortable to move in a great stage, it stage was very tiny.

• Like 1

On 20.01.2020 at 12:22 PM, Jordan Rose said:

Gotta politely disagree. There were many, many entire shows from '06-'10, but especially '10 where he could not have been any more kick ass and channeling his younger self. Sure, he didn't have the raw, visceral, unhinged energy from the Illusions tours when we know he was melting down over a million personal and legal problems and letting it all out on stage. But he could not have given more at time in 2010 unless he was still in that crazy, damaged headspace and going out in a very destructive way. But you look at the way he moved, performed, gestured, the look in his eyes, how connected to the music and in the zone he was, he couldn't have given more. I literally haven't bothered watching a single NITL video since 2016 apart from e.g. Locomotive or butchered TIL because I see through him and it's boring. He ain't that guy from '06-'10 who was still hungry as fuck, had something to prove and wanted it. And i'm not talking about the voice: that's almost a by-product. NITL Axl, at least from 2017 on, really does seem like he's on anti-depressants and is just kinda there. Sure, he runs around and there's a certain necessary degree of effort but it ain't THAT guy. 

I agree with you. but on the other hand I think it's good that he takes antidepressants that calm him down and allow him to live normally, than to see him on stage -completly mad- when you could see the whole range of emotions that were throwing him ... and we all knew from what Axl was struggling with. this anger on the stage didn't come from anywhere. do you remember how Axl once mentioned in an interview that he would like to find his inner peace? - I wish him that. I hope he found it

58 minutes ago, Politania said:

do you remember how Axl once mentioned in an interview that he would like to find his inner peace? - I wish him that. I hope he found it

Yeah, Beta and her whole Brazilian family has been sedating him since then and took over the brand instead.

Just like a perfect psychological thriller film.

Edited by ©GnrPersia

1 hour ago, Politania said:

I agree with you. but on the other hand I think it's good that he takes antidepressants that calm him down and allow him to live normally, than to see him on stage -completly mad- when you could see the whole range of emotions that were throwing him ... and we all knew from what Axl was struggling with. this anger on the stage didn't come from anywhere. do you remember how Axl once mentioned in an interview that he would like to find his inner peace? - I wish him that. I hope he found it

He doesn't take any anti-depressants as far as we know. Those times when we would smash the mic stand to the floor was when he was 29 and full of hot blood. But he's approaching 58 now. But yes, I believe he's found his inner peace, at least since 2015/16. 

Edited by jamillos

3 hours ago, Politania said:

Agreed, but I have zero knowledge that he's on anything, just saying it seems like he could be. 

13 hours ago, Politania said:

I don't know if he's on anything too, just one of the speculations ;)

True. Theres a clip from one of the NITL shows where he is sitting on either the stage or amp cabinets and waving his legs around. He looked happy and ive never seen him do that.

25 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

True. Theres a clip from one of the NITL shows where he is sitting on either the stage or amp cabinets and waving his legs around. He looked happy and ive never seen him do that.

Yes, there was a clip of it, and Axl looked as happy little boy. :)

On 1/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, megaguns1982 said:

Axl needs to have a chat with Bruce now, he’s fit as a fiddle and is like 15years older than Axl.

Bruce is a different breed. I was at the show Saturday night in Jersey that Bruce popped up at this weekend. When Axl takes a couple of months off, his voice goes back to square one. Bruce hadn’t played more than a few songs with a full band in years, and he hopped up on stage and burned it down. 

For me this video and the Axl we saw after this leave the biggest unanswered question-

what happened to his voice?, he wasn’t performing or recording songs from 94 until 98-99.

and before everyone jumps on me, yes I understand he is older now, people change, appearances change...ect. But his voice was great in 1994, then we he re-emerged in 1998-1999 his voice was completely different. And yes, he will have a verse or 2 when you hear the rasp, even then it isn’t close to what it used to be.

1 hour ago, ronartest2004 said:

For me this video and the Axl we saw after this leave the biggest unanswered question-

what happened to his voice?, he wasn’t performing or recording songs from 94 until 98-99.

and before everyone jumps on me, yes I understand he is older now, people change, appearances change...ect. But his voice was great in 1994, then we he re-emerged in 1998-1999 his voice was completely different. And yes, he will have a verse or 2 when you hear the rasp, even then it isn’t close to what it used to be.

I seem to remember axl did having an operation t o remove nodules on his throat....but not sure if that was pre 98.

10 hours ago, axlslash said:

Bruce is a different breed. I was at the show Saturday night in Jersey that Bruce popped up at this weekend. When Axl takes a couple of months off, his voice goes back to square one. Bruce hadn’t played more than a few songs with a full band in years, and he hopped up on stage and burned it down. 

Damn dude, that's so awesome that you were there.  I've been a huge Bruce fan for years and he's been a huge influence on my own music.  He's still the man.

10 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Damn dude, that's so awesome that you were there.  I've been a huge Bruce fan for years and he's been a huge influence on my own music.  He's still the man.

He’s my absolute favorite. This weekend was my 11th time seeing him.  found a secondhand ticket to the show as fast as I could once I saw that he’d soundchecked in the afternoon and was gonna be there. Seeing him in Asbury was item #1 on my bucket list (a spot that it took over after I met the man at one of his book events in 2016 and got the photo signed on Broadway). Been living in Jersey for almost 4 years, and now I feel like I’m an official resident!

Edited by axlslash
  • Like 1

I must be one of the few who don't rate this as a particularly good performance.. He sounds too whiney and use of vibrato is overstated.. It's got nothing on say, his Salt of the Earth spot with the Stones. Steven Tyler's rendition of this song is far better. 

Still interesting to see though and ok granted it's an impromptu performance.

• Like 1

I have always loved the restraint of axl's vocals in this impromptu performance.  really shows his range as a singer.  almost blues style. 

also some are implying that Bruce seemed embarrassed after the song.  ridiculous.  bruce is a big Axl fan and always has been.  he cited the double Release of the Illusion records as inspiration for him to do the same expanded new material release.  he wasnt going to turn down a chance to sing w Axl and i guarantee he was shocked Axl was willing to do it.  to me these are two masters at work.  zero prep and still pretty f'ing great 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

I must be one of the few who don't rate this as a particularly good performance.. He sounds too whiney and use of vibrato is overstated.. It's got nothing on say, his Salt of the Earth spot with the Stones. Steven Tyler's rendition of this song is far better. 

Still interesting to see though and ok granted it's an impromptu performance.

Agreed, always thought this was one of Axl's worst performances vocally.