Infectious Groove Podcast - New Episode Every Monday

RussTCB

I'm a big Steve Perry fan, though I must say the complete overkill on Don't Stop Believing dampened my enjoyment of it somewhat, mostly because Journey are more than just that one song and that seemed to be the only one a generation knew purely because of Glee, so I can see where Michelle is coming from in that regard. 

For the past 20+ years, the industry has predominantly been singles driven with not much attention on promoting albums and with how much technology has advanced in that time, you find less and less people buying physical media that are 'casual listeners' and there are good points and bad points about the likes of Spotify - having so much at your finger tips is great, but Joe Bloggs is just going to listen to a catchy number that they heard on the radio as opposed to taking the time to digest the artists full album that the tune was released on - at least that is what I'd say the most of my generation, let alone just my friends. There is a lot of great fucking music out there that people miss out on as a result. 

As far as creating albums go, I always thought the old analog way of recording gave a superior sound, though depending on who is mastering/mixing records, the differences can be small and people can get lazy in regards to their craft, relying on the likes of pro-tools to correct pitch etc.

Another great listen, Russ!

32 minutes ago, Dean said:

I'm a big Steve Perry fan, though I must say the complete overkill on Don't Stop Believing dampened my enjoyment of it somewhat, mostly because Journey are more than just that one song and that seemed to be the only one a generation knew purely because of Glee, so I can see where Michelle is coming from in that regard. 

For the past 20+ years, the industry has predominantly been singles driven with not much attention on promoting albums and with how much technology has advanced in that time, you find less and less people buying physical media that are 'casual listeners' and there are good points and bad points about the likes of Spotify - having so much at your finger tips is great, but Joe Bloggs is just going to listen to a catchy number that they heard on the radio as opposed to taking the time to digest the artists full album that the tune was released on - at least that is what I'd say the most of my generation, let alone just my friends. There is a lot of great fucking music out there that people miss out on as a result. 

As far as creating albums go, I always thought the old analog way of recording gave a superior sound, though depending on who is mastering/mixing records, the differences can be small and people can get lazy in regards to their craft, relying on the likes of pro-tools to correct pitch etc.

Another great listen, Russ!

I can't seem to react to posts right now for some reason but just know I wanted to give you the "thanks" reaction lol. 

Great points and I'll make sure to include a lot of this in the next episode. Even the part where you said you can see where Michelle is coming from, even though it hurts my heart lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I can't seem to react to posts right now for some reason but just know I wanted to give you the "thanks" reaction lol. 

Great points and I'll make sure to include a lot of this in the next episode. Even the part where you said you can see where Michelle is coming from, even though it hurts my heart lol

Hey, blame Glee! Though I'm probably just bitter about Tony Soprano's fate being unknow while that played in the background also. I'm sure I'd be weeping like a 12 year old at a Bieber concert seeing Steve belt that out nowadays! :lol: - Regardless of all that carry on though, I've always leaned more towards Faithfully than Don't Stop Believing. The one constant - what a fucking voice. 

6 minutes ago, Dean said:

Hey, blame Glee! Though I'm probably just bitter about Tony Soprano's fate being unknow while that played in the background also. I'm sure I'd be weeping like a 12 year old at a Bieber concert seeing Steve belt that out nowadays! :lol: - Regardless of all that carry on though, I've always leaned more towards Faithfully than Don't Stop Believing. The one constant - what a fucking voice. 

Off the top of my head, my favorite Journey songs would probably be

Who's Crying Now

Separate Ways

Faithfully

Stone In Love 

Feeling That Way / Anytime

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Off the top of my head, my favorite Journey songs would probably be

Who's Crying Now

Separate Ways

Faithfully

Stone In Love 

Feeling That Way / Anytime

Hmm,

Wheel in the Sky, Lights, When You Love A Woman, Open Arms - that was one I wouldn't be in a rush to listen to, though after Steve performed it with Eels and done an acapella of 'Only Sixteen' in place of the intro, it just made me fucking appreciate it even more. 

Separate Ways is my go to war song :lol:

On 12/10/2020 at 12:53 PM, RussTCB said:

The new YouTube video is out:

Russ, I’m sat with a beer making my way through HIStory Continues. What’s your thoughts on bundling new material into a compilation album? I’m familiar with a few of the numbers, You Are Not Alone is one of his best. The orchestra arrangements on Childhood is something else - never heard that tune before. 
If Guns bundled something new into a compilation album, I’d be disappointed at them trying to capitalize on past work, though the way Jackson seems to have approached this is pretty original and not your standard one or two new songs thrown in that most artists do.

Also in regards to Guns induction to the HOF, they didn’t like that Axl declined/turned down his induction so they inducted him anyway 😂😂😂 I think originally, it was only going to be the Appetite 5 until Sorum caught wind of it through a friend that had connections, so managed to get himself inducted and thus so did Dizzy. Gilby didn’t get inducted with them for some reason, though performed in place of Izzy. If Axl had more than just one record out with Tommy and co., I reckon they’d have been included in it also - and rightfully so. The whole thing is corrupt as fuck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Russ, I’m sat with a beer making my way through HIStory Continues. What’s your thoughts on bundling new material into a compilation album? I’m familiar with a few of the numbers, You Are Not Alone is one of his best. The orchestra arrangements on Childhood is something else - never heard that tune before. 
If Guns bundled something new into a compilation album, I’d be disappointed at them trying to capitalize on past work, though the way Jackson seems to have approached this is pretty original and not your standard one or two new songs thrown in that most artists do.

Also in regards to Guns induction to the HOF, they didn’t like that Axl declined/turned down his induction so they inducted him anyway 😂😂😂 I think originally, it was only going to be the Appetite 5 until Sorum caught wind of it through a friend that had connections, so managed to get himself inducted and thus so did Dizzy. Gilby didn’t get inducted with them for some reason, though performed in place of Izzy. If Axl had more than just one record out with Tommy and co., I reckon they’d have been included in it also - and rightfully so. The whole thing is corrupt as fuck.

I'm glad you're digging the latter half of HIStory! If I had my way, it would have been a separate release for sure. 

They should have released "History - The Past" in the spring, then released "HIStory - The Present and The Future" in the summer or fall. 

Yeah, everything about "Childhood" is just amazing, not the least of which is the orchestrations. There's so much (understandable) anger and hate spread across the album from songs like Scream, 2 Bad and D.S., then there's stuff like Childhood and the beautiful cover of Smile that ends the record. I just thought it was so bold of him to be like "Yeah, this sucks and I'm super pissed about it but I'm not gonna stop spreading my message". 

As for GN'R / HoF; that's good to know about Axl being inducted against his wishes. Also, I must've thought Gilby went in because he performed. I appreciate the corrections though, thank you :)

I've got more videos coming on rare or pressings that are special to me. I did one about Live Era where I insult the shit out of it, lol, but at least people will get to see the vinyl version if they want to haha. 

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm glad you're digging the latter half of HIStory! If I had my way, it would have been a separate release for sure. 

They should have released "History - The Past" in the spring, then released "HIStory - The Present and The Future" in the summer or fall. 

Yeah, everything about "Childhood" is just amazing, not the least of which is the orchestrations. There's so much (understandable) anger and hate spread across the album from songs like Scream, 2 Bad and D.S., then there's stuff like Childhood and the beautiful cover of Smile that ends the record. I just thought it was so bold of him to be like "Yeah, this sucks and I'm super pissed about it but I'm not gonna stop spreading my message". 

As for GN'R / HoF; that's good to know about Axl being inducted against his wishes. Also, I must've thought Gilby went in because he performed. I appreciate the corrections though, thank you :)

I've got more videos coming on rare or pressings that are special to me. I did one about Live Era where I insult the shit out of it, lol, but at least people will get to see the vinyl version if they want to haha. 

I love reading up on stuff that I listen to/watch, so was seeing that the D.S. number was allegedly about the attorney that was trying to prosecute him. There’s a lot made of Jackson’s life, but it must’ve been hard living with a constant spotlight on his every move and it’s easy to cast judgement on situations that you’ve not been involved in, which I was guilty of in the 2005 court case. I do think he was a strange man, but harming children in the manner that he was accused of? Naa.

Ahh! I’ll reluctantly force myself to watch that haha, Live Era is my second most played Guns album after Chinese, the fact it doesn’t ‘really’ showcase them as a live act doesn’t bother me, Axl’s vocals are fucking phenomenal and that is the greatest versions of You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen and Sweet Child I’ve ever heard!!! I just think the songs have more balls than what the album efforts do, plus, big fan of Axl’s voice during the Chinese/Live Era sessions and is my most prized GNR possession along with my copy of the Red Hand 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dean said:

I love reading up on stuff that I listen to/watch, so was seeing that the D.S. number was allegedly about the attorney that was trying to prosecute him. There’s a lot made of Jackson’s life, but it must’ve been hard living with a constant spotlight on his every move and it’s easy to cast judgement on situations that you’ve not been involved in, which I was guilty of in the 2005 court case. I do think he was a strange man, but harming children in the manner that he was accused of? Naa.

Ahh! I’ll reluctantly force myself to watch that haha, Live Era is my second most played Guns album after Chinese, the fact it doesn’t ‘really’ showcase them as a live act doesn’t bother me, Axl’s vocals are fucking phenomenal and that is the greatest versions of You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen and Sweet Child I’ve ever heard!!! I just think the songs have more balls than what the album efforts do, plus, big fan of Axl’s voice during the Chinese/Live Era sessions and is my most prized GNR possession along with my copy of the Red Hand 

Needless to say, I agree on the points regarding MJ. 

I can't remember what order we shot the videos in but I do know Live Era will be in the next few weeks, if not next week. 

There is one track I absolutely love on Live Era and I cover it in the video. I like Axl's voice in the CD era too, but issues with how his over dubbed vocals are mixed on the album. I go into all of that in the video though. 

• GNFNR 1

I have one independent record store that is local to me that I’ve used for years, however I don’t frequent the store as often as I once did, purely due to the owner being a bit of an arse - his prices are usually inflated in comparison to elsewhere, though you can come away with a few bargains if you dig deep enough. I don’t beat myself up with sourcing records from elsewhere due to this but like to shop locally whenever I can when in other cities.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I have one independent record store that is local to me that I’ve used for years, however I don’t frequent the store as often as I once did, purely due to the owner being a bit of an arse - his prices are usually inflated in comparison to elsewhere, though you can come away with a few bargains if you dig deep enough. I don’t beat myself up with sourcing records from elsewhere due to this but like to shop locally whenever I can when in other cities.

Detroit is a hot bed for record stores, which is great but I'm really only loyal to one and it's because the owner is a great guy. 

There's one across town where everyone on the staff except one guy is still that snobby music store cliche. If you're not looking for or buying exactly the artists they approve of, they make it clear that they're much cooler than you. 

There's another one that has a great selection and the owner is awesome BUT their pricing is insane. Like, $17 for a common, used, beat up copy of Thriller, insane. So I don't frequent that one even though I really like the dude who runs it. 

So basically, it all comes back to the one local store for me. I support them as much as I can for a combination of reasons but I don't have any problem getting records online if I can't a particular record from them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Detroit is a hot bed for record stores, which is great but I'm really only loyal to one and it's because the owner is a great guy. 

There's one across town where everyone on the staff except one guy is still that snobby music store cliche. If you're not looking for or buying exactly the artists they approve of, they make it clear that they're much cooler than you. 

There's another one that has a great selection and the owner is awesome BUT their pricing is insane. Like, $17 for a common, used, beat up copy of Thriller, insane. So I don't frequent that one even though I really like the dude who runs it. 

So basically, it all comes back to the one local store for me. I support them as much as I can for a combination of reasons but I don't have any problem getting records online if I can't a particular record from them. 

Having great people skills is half the battle when you run a store or work in a customer service based job, treat those that are buying your products well and they'll always come back - if your prices are right as you mentioned :lol: I was in a record store up in Aberdeen many years ago - this place was phenomenal, I still recall the smell of walking in there, probably the best record shop I've ever been in and I can't for the life of me remember the name. My old man only needed Queen's Innuendo to complete his collection for everything they done, but for whatever reason, was really hard to source. The chap in this record store told me only so many copies were pressed in the UK due to CD becoming the dominant force when it came to releasing music and the likelihood of me ever owning it was very slim. I'm not entirely sure how accurate that info was, but I do recall it never being up on eBay around 2004 and having no joy at ever sourcing it. Fast forward to 2010, I picked it up in my local record store for £6 in phenomenal condition. It's easily accessible now via Discogs, it goes for around £40, so not as hard to come by as it was back then! One of my greater buys though and the big yin was impressed when I gave him it. 

There was also a great shop up in Dundee that had been there for decades. It was a hub for concert tickets too and always thrived despite the preferred form of media changing over the years. The owner unfortunately passed away this year and it has now closed as a result. Dundee is a bit of a drive for me, but I'd be up often for nights out etc and would always make trips in whenever possible. Great place and great service. I had a clear out the other month there and I have a habit of keeping any bags that I get given from record stores across Europe that have their logo on them and discovered one of the Groucho ones, will make sure I keep a hold of that.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/end-of-an-era-as-iconic-dundee-record-store-grouchos-closes/

I also listened to this podcast in two parts over the last couple of days and forgot to mention the Jackson documentary. I watched part 1 and half way through the second part. How did that project come about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Having great people skills is half the battle when you run a store or work in a customer service based job, treat those that are buying your products well and they'll always come back - if your prices are right as you mentioned :lol: I was in a record store up in Aberdeen many years ago - this place was phenomenal, I still recall the smell of walking in there, probably the best record shop I've ever been in and I can't for the life of me remember the name. My old man only needed Queen's Innuendo to complete his collection for everything they done, but for whatever reason, was really hard to source. The chap in this record store told me only so many copies were pressed in the UK due to CD becoming the dominant force when it came to releasing music and the likelihood of me ever owning it was very slim. I'm not entirely sure how accurate that info was, but I do recall it never being up on eBay around 2004 and having no joy at ever sourcing it. Fast forward to 2010, I picked it up in my local record store for £6 in phenomenal condition. It's easily accessible now via Discogs, it goes for around £40, so not as hard to come by as it was back then! One of my greater buys though and the big yin was impressed when I gave him it. 

There was also a great shop up in Dundee that had been there for decades. It was a hub for concert tickets too and always thrived despite the preferred form of media changing over the years. The owner unfortunately passed away this year and it has now closed as a result. Dundee is a bit of a drive for me, but I'd be up often for nights out etc and would always make trips in whenever possible. Great place and great service. I had a clear out the other month there and I have a habit of keeping any bags that I get given from record stores across Europe that have their logo on them and discovered one of the Groucho ones, will make sure I keep a hold of that.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/end-of-an-era-as-iconic-dundee-record-store-grouchos-closes/

I also listened to this podcast in two parts over the last couple of days and forgot to mention the Jackson documentary. I watched part 1 and half way through the second part. How did that project come about?

That's a great story about the record store. I have one like that in Las Vegas. The owner is so good at customer service that I'll go out of my way to buy something there every time I'm in the area. 

Regarding the MJ doc, if was produced over the course of about a year. They originally used an automated narrator, which everyone HATED (understandably). 

I reached out to one of the producers and asked if they wanted to work together to improve it. One thing lead to another and I ended up voicing a good amount of it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dean said:

Just out of curiosity, what did it smell like?😄

• Haha 2