Infectious Groove Podcast - New Episode Every Monday

RussTCB

3 hours ago, Dean said:

I'm only really familiar with Chicago's mainstream hits with Peter Cetera on vocals, I'll need to dig deeper into Bill's tenure, I'm sure I'll have heard a few over the years.

On Rob Zombie, he really does seem like a cool dude. He's a big fan and friend of Terry Reid. I've not seen any of his movies, but he was a huge hand in getting Terry Reid a bit of attention after years of being under the radar, though you could say that was the case for all of his career after the age of 20.

Seed of Memory is a great album, check it out if you haven't already!

I knew all the Peter Cetera stuff for sure, but I always loved Look Away the most when I was a kid. So I jumped at the chance to talk to Bill when I got it. 

I thought it was really cool of him to share the story about his son as it relates to the song "Another Lie" on his new album. 

• Like 1

Still making my way through this. The following may be controversial but despite being a mark for Prince, I always preferred Sinead O’Connor’s version of Nothing Compares 2 U - with this being the definitive version to my ears. Give it a chance!

12 hours ago, Dean said:

Still making my way through this. The following may be controversial but despite being a mark for Prince, I always preferred Sinead O’Connor’s version of Nothing Compares 2 U - with this being the definitive version to my ears. Give it a chance!

I've heard that version, it's excellent. I really don't have anything against her rendition but there's one specific Prince version that just blows me away. It's the duet version on The Hits 1, where he sings it with Rosie Gaines. 

It's pretty much a blues song in that version and the duet aspect of it just brings a ton more to the song for me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

So awesome!

Thanks man. It's the second time we've been featured on their site, which is so rad. 

We've built up the podcast quite a bit, now I'm hoping to build up the YouTube channel subscriber count! 

http://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast

Edited by RussTCB

Another great episode! I'm not familiar with KISS's back catalogue, but I remember watching a documentary on them over 10 years ago and they went in depth about Dynasty and how controversial that was at the time, as it was seen as them venturing into Disco. They alienated a lot of their die hard fan base, but I Was Made For Loving You propelled them to superstardom and introduced them to a whole new audience. I don't think Gene and Paul have ever given much of a fuck about selling out, so long as they are raking it in financially, then they seem content!

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Another great episode! I'm not familiar with KISS's back catalogue, but I remember watching a documentary on them over 10 years ago and they went in depth about Dynasty and how controversial that was at the time, as it was seen as them venturing into Disco. They alienated a lot of their die hard fan base, but I Was Made For Loving You propelled them to superstardom and introduced them to a whole new audience. I don't think Gene and Paul have ever given much of a fuck about selling out, so long as they are raking it in financially, then they seem content!

Good call out on Kiss. You know what's funny, is I didn't even think of the merchandising aspect of selling out which Kiss pretty much has the market cornered on lol.

We definitely need to revisit the topic and when we do I think we should discuss the whole merchandising side of things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Good call out on Kiss. You know what's funny, is I didn't even think of the merchandising aspect of selling out which Kiss pretty much has the market cornered on lol.

We definitely need to revisit the topic and when we do I think we should discuss the whole merchandising side of things. 

I loved Baz completely marking out over all of Gene's memorabilia the he had in his office.

"Duuuude! Can I have this?"

"No."

:lol:

In terms of merchandising, you could certainly throw GNR in there with their plethora of toy trucks, beach towels and yo-yo's. Also, I think you're right to throw in the Stones in there. They must have the highest number for compilation albums. The Smiths love repackaging their 4 studio albums too.

Edited by Dean
  • Haha 1

Kate Bush definitely is a huge deal across here. A lot of fanfare was made when she announced her Before The Dawn comeback residency at the Apollo. Absolutely mental considering it was her first tour since '79. Chrissie Hynde would be another honorable mention. The Pretenders are fucking great!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dean said:

Kate Bush definitely is a huge deal across here. A lot of fanfare was made when she announced her Before The Dawn comeback residency at the Apollo. Absolutely mental considering it was her first tour since '79. Chrissie Hynde would be another honorable mention. The Pretenders are fucking great!

Right on, yeah I knew neither Kyle nor Michelle would know Kate is so big outside the US. Chrissie is of those I had on a list but didn't get to mention, great call out. 

• Like 1

I try and not let the opinions of artists effect my enjoyment of their art. I love Morrissey's solo catalogue and The Smiths, but there aren't many who divides opinion more than Moz. For a man that's of Irish heritage, he sure has a contrasting opinion than what his ancestors held, that's for sure. Michelle bringing up Dire Straits' Money for Nothing is interesting too. I heard the Live Aid version before I actually heard the studio version, so I remember being shocked at what I was hearing, but times change and people will always be offended at something that happened before their time, especially in todays society, but it's not as if Knopfler had a deep hatred for those of different sexual orientations to himself, especially with many of his peers being gay, but rather the character in the song objectifying to what he was seeing on MTV. At least that's my interpretation of it anyway.  Great song.

Roger Waters - Funny story, I was awaiting my flight to Berlin in 2018 to see Guns. There was a gentleman that sat opposite us and asked if we were going to the concert. We got talking and I later found out he was actually meaning Roger Waters and that he was playing 2 nights in one of the arenas in the City. As he stood up, I noticed he had a Rangers Football Club scarf tattoo in the shape of a 9 on his calf, which commemorates them winning 9 league titles in a row (sporting integrity brought into play much later on when the club ceased to exist in 2012, a lot of the players bought in this time was with money that they did not have nor could afford without shady side deals/loans that wasn't offered to any other club). A sizeable section of the Rangers support lean far right in their beliefs, supporting the likes of Israel in their ongoing conflict with Palestine. He mentioned that he was seeing Waters in Glasgow a few months after too so I was beyond delighted that Roger thanked the supporters of Celtic Football Club (their fiercest rivals) during the show. That fella would have been beyond raging! If you YouTube 'Roger Waters thanks Celtic fans', you'll see the clip from the Glesga show. The below was in 2016:

Edited by Dean
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Dean said:

I try and not let the opinions of artists effect my enjoyment of their art. I love Morrissey's solo catalogue and The Smiths, but there aren't many who divides opinion more than Moz. For a man that's of Irish heritage, he sure has a contrasting opinion than what his ancestors held, that's for sure. Michelle bringing up Dire Straits' Money for Nothing is interesting too. I heard the Live Aid version before I actually heard the studio version, so I remember being shocked at what I was hearing, but times change and people will always be offended at something that happened before their time, especially in todays society, but it's not as if Knopfler had a deep hatred for those of different sexual orientations to himself, especially with many of his peers being gay, but rather the character in the song objectifying to what he was seeing on MTV. At least that's my interpretation of it anyway.  Great song.

Roger Waters - Funny story, I was awaiting my flight to Berlin in 2018 to see Guns. There was a gentleman that sat opposite us and asked if we were going to the concert. We got talking and I later found out he was actually meaning Roger Waters and that he was playing 2 nights in one of the arenas in the City. As he stood up, I noticed he had a Rangers Football Club scarf in the shape of a 9, which commemorates them winning 9 league titles in a row (sporting integrity brought into play much later on when the club ceased to exist in 2012, a lot of the players bought in this time was with money that they did not have nor could afford without shady side deals/loans that wasn't offered to any other club). A sizeable section of the Rangers support lean far right in their beliefs, supporting the likes of Israel in their ongoing conflict with Palestine. He mentioned that he was seeing Waters in Glasgow a few months after too so I was beyond delighted that Roger thanked the supporters of Celtic Football Club (their fiercest rivals) during the show. That fella would have been beyond raging! If you YouTube 'Roger Waters thanks Celtic fans', you'll see the clip from the Glesga show. The below was in 2016:

Awesome feedback man, thank you SO much for this. We'll be featuring it in the next episode for sure!!

• Like 1

Before They Make Me Run has always been one of my favourite Stones tracks, though what more can be said about Beast of Burden? Truly one of the all time greats. I just got finished listening to Some Girls, I've not played that in it's entirety in well over 10 years. The title track isn't really a go to for me when listening to The Stones, but I'd forgotten how much Keith truly shines on it, though that's much the same for the entirety of the record. I dunno if it makes my top 5 Stones albums, though I love the live record they put out from Texas. One of my favourite versions of Beast of Burden!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dean said:

Before They Make Me Run has always been one of my favourite Stones tracks, though what more can be said about Beast of Burden? Truly one of the all time greats. I just got finished listening to Some Girls, I've not played that in it's entirety in well over 10 years. The title track isn't really a go to for me when listening to The Stones, but I'd forgotten how much Keith truly shines on it, though that's much the same for the entirety of the record. I dunno if it makes my top 5 Stones albums, though I love the live record they put out from Texas. One of my favourite versions of Beast of Burden!

We used your feedback from last week during the top half of the show. As always, I'd be interested in what you think of our review. I hadn't listened to the full album in a while prior to doing this review as well. I think I had at least one interesting point about Beast but we talked a lot about the rest of the album too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

We used your feedback from last week during the top half of the show. As always, I'd be interested in what you think of our review. I hadn't listened to the full album in a while prior to doing this review as well. I think I had at least one interesting point about Beast but we talked a lot about the rest of the album too. 

You're spot on with Beast of Burden. Either that or Moonlight Mile would be the songs I would show to anyone that didn't know what The Stones are all about, however, if they ever released a song about Pizza being a burden on our lives, I'd have never entertained them! Ha! 

Keef's voice is an acquired taste so I can see where Michelle is coming from with Before They Make Me Run but I'm with you on Shattered, though I don't think my opinion would change if it was slotted in somewhere else. I laughed at Kyle's appreciation for Jagger not giving a fuck with how people interpreted the title track, there certainly is something admirable in that approach but sort of ties in with the last episode that it doesn't age too well with how Jagger responded. Michelle did cause me to have a mild stroke by saying she could go without Beast of Burden among others, travesty! I think between the three of you though, it's a really fair review. Not their best effort, but certainly contains a a few gems! I still can't get over Michelle dismissing Beast of Burden like that haha.

• Thanks 1