Marc Canter's videos

42è BCP

I just got Reckless Road for Christmas (i'm a young fans, just 18) and, reading the book i was thinking about something :

I understood that Marc Canter won't sell or difuse the early audios of GNR show as the Troubardor 85 for exemple and i respect the reasons but why a part of his personals videos ( Music machine 86, The Roxy 86, The Ritz 87, The Central etc) are available on line ? What's the difference between sharing videos or audios ?

17 hours ago, 42è BCP said:

I just got Reckless Road for Christmas (i'm a young fans, just 18) and, reading the book i was thinking about something :

I understood that Marc Canter won't sell or difuse the early audios of GNR show as the Troubardor 85 for exemple and i respect the reasons but why a part of his personals videos ( Music machine 86, The Roxy 86, The Ritz 87, The Central etc) are available on line ? What's the difference between sharing videos or audios ?

Marc taped all their concerts from 85 to 87 if I recall correctly. He sometimes gave copies to band members, record executives, etc - which ended up circulating among fans (although very high generations and usually bad copies from Canter's master). Marc never shared video/audio himself to the fans. The Ritz '87 isn't a recording of Canter, by the way. 

We'll never see the videos unless the band decides to release them in some way, which I doubt will happen - unless more copies exist among fans/collectors. It has been rumored for ages that the Bogart's 1986 show is “out there” but it has yet to see the light of day..... Does anybody know more about this?

There is much cool stuff from the early days era that hasn't found it's way to the fans yet, namely the full mates Rehearsal (including Coma, Bad Apples, Ain't Going Down, etc), some 1986 rehearsal cassette that appeared on eBay for a while, a partial Roxy 1986 soundboard, among others. Hopefully they will surface at some point and stop being hoarded by certain “fans” (or to be more precise, “fan”).

I vaguely remember seeing a bit in the Uprox documentary where he said he backed up all of his stuff digitally, so it’s at least preserved, in some form or another.

i do think we will see all of that stuff someday, but it’ll probably only be long after the band members are dead, and label and TB’s descendants pays Canter’s descendants enough money to take possession of that stuff, so that they can milk the GnR legacy for every penny possible.

EDIT: I just realized that that means we’ll probably all be dead when that happens too. Only our descendants will be able to enjoy that stuff, I guess! :lol:

Edited by rocknroll41

39 minutes ago, All Cautions Made said:

Marc taped all their concerts from 85 to 87 if I recall correctly. He sometimes gave copies to band members, record executives, etc - which ended up circulating among fans (although very high generations and usually bad copies from Canter's master). Marc never shared video/audio himself to the fans. The Ritz '87 isn't a recording of Canter, by the way. 

We'll never see the videos unless the band decides to release them in some way, which I doubt will happen - unless more copies exist among fans/collectors. It has been rumored for ages that the Bogart's 1986 show is “out there” but it has yet to see the light of day..... Does anybody know more about this?

There is much cool stuff from the early days era that hasn't found it's way to the fans yet, namely the full mates Rehearsal (including Coma, Bad Apples, Ain't Going Down, etc), some 1986 rehearsal cassette that appeared on eBay for a while, a partial Roxy 1986 soundboard, among others. Hopefully they will surface at some point and stop being hoarded by certain “fans” (or to be more precise, “fan”).

So - it’s one person believed to be hoarding this stuff?

11 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

Honestly hoping we get a huge boxset of demos and gigs on the bands 40th anniversary. I bet that's when we would get YCBM with Adler, Roxy Soundboard, other gigs, pasha studios in good quality and the Mystic demo tape from the AFD boxset.

Every time you hope for something GNR related an angel dies and falls from heaven!

Don't hope, my friend, just carpe diem.

GNR is a surprise band, you'll never get what you want with them, but maybe something nobody was expecting may happen.

On 1/30/2020 at 4:42 PM, DTJ80 said:

I just can’t understand someone who would have this stuff and just hoard it. What do they do - listen to the Roxy SBD and put it away for a couple of years before listening again?!?

I understand the trading community etc but this kind of hoarding with no intention to exchange/trade is just weird IMO.

I'm a fan of other bands/artists and enjoy finding unheard material, bootlegs, etc. 

I've never seen another fan base that has such a hierarchy/hoarding problem as fans in the GnR community do.

Then again, GnR themselves are one of the weirdest bands ever so I shouldn't be shocked. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 3:59 AM, hudsonsaul said:

I preordered Reckless Road, and from memory we were promised exclusive clips and footage from the era as part of the pre ordering (or something along those lines). Never got anything, other than the book and felt a bit annoyed about that at the time.

I got the book at the time and there/is a code that you entered and there was additional clips and audio on the site but the site seems to have been dead for years. I remember Marc Canter saying (most likely here) that there errors in the initial release of the book. Has anyone who has the first edition( i ordered it as soon as I could but I've no idea if my book is a first edition) are there noticeable errors or typos ?