GnR 1st ever MTV appearance-1987

17 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

It was from Headbanger's Ball. The VJ's name was Smash. He let the band destroy the set, and, not surprisingly, that VJ wasn't on MTV much longer.

I 1st found the Ball when Riki Rachtman came aboard.  Was a great show. Every Saturday night.  

2 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

It was from Headbanger's Ball. The VJ's name was Smash. He let the band destroy the set, and, not surprisingly, that VJ wasn't on MTV much longer.

It was obviously staged and wasn't spontaneous and I assume he had the network's ok. It probably cost all of 20 bucks to replace the damage.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It was obviously staged and wasn't spontaneous and I assume he had the network's ok. It probably cost all of 20 bucks to replace the damage.

Yeah, Axl and Steven have said it was staged.

(Slash, on the other hand, said that probably MTV wasn't very happy that they trashed the set, etc. :lol:)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah as dangerous as Gn'R were that was completely staged and cheesy. I roll my eyes whenever there is a reference to the time "GnR destroyed the MTV studio"

• Haha 1

Yes it was planned by MTV.  Smash(Asher Benrubi) was the host.  Smash is a long time radio DJ and singer in some rock bands in the 70's.  Smash was from Indiana, as was Axl.  Axl talked to him and said that Axl saw Smash and his band play before in W.Lafayette, where Purdue University is.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JONEZY said:

Yes it was planned by MTV.  Smash(Asher Benrubi) was the host.  Smash is a long time radio DJ and singer in some rock bands in the 70's.  Smash was from Indiana, as was Axl.  Axl talked to him and said that Axl saw Smash and his band play before in W.Lafayette, where Purdue University is.  

LOL, ironically....this old WWF tag team (Demolition) consisted of "Axl" and "Smash." 

• Like 1