North American Tour Dates Announced

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

Not in 2020. The general public doesn’t care enough for new music. They probably don’t even want to hear it live and would complain about those additions to the setlist

If they don’t buy tickets, it’s because they’ve seen it before multiple times and the band has over saturated the market.

If this tour fails, they prob aren’t touring again for a few years in US. Album ready or not 

Its delusional to think that a new GNR album featuring Slash wouldn't be huge deal.

Edited by Coma16
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, k12 said:

there is just no way this tour is going to happen, unless they announce Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham are going to be playing the warm up gig between 6- 6:45, there is just no way they are going to have this tour, the overwhelming majority of tickets are usually sold by the first day of the on sale for most events, these shows look like they barely sold even 15% of the tickets, I do not care what kind of buzz a new GNR album is going to create, I do not think it is enough to make hundreds of thousands of people go out to see them again in a stadium when I am guessing anyone who wanted to see them saw them in the last couple of years, just really poor planning on GNR'S part, I am guessing the next couple of months they are going to announce "scheduling conflict" or some crap and announce the tour is "postponed"or cancelled.

I think every hardcore fan (who cares about new music) is willing them to fall flat on their ass with these shows, but we'll see..

It does make me laugh how many market experts there now appears to be on MyGNR though. :lol:

Edited by Towelie
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Tour is not gonna be cancelled. Again just because the first day of ticket sales is slow doesn’t mean the sky is falling 

Look nothing is 100% but the first few days of sales are extremely indicative of demand for shows of this size. When what appears to be less than 20% of available tix have been sold thats usually a very clear indication there is lackluster demand. Generally there isn't a run on tix to these stadium gigs in the weeks/days leading up when capacity isnt even near 50%.  Unless something drastic changes this is def a financial failure, 5 days in or not. 

Edited by center27j
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

Not in 2020. The general public doesn’t care enough for new music. They probably don’t even want to hear it live and would complain about those additions to the setlist

If they don’t buy tickets, it’s because they’ve seen it before multiple times and the band has over saturated the market.

If this tour fails, they prob aren’t touring again for a few years in US. Album ready or not 

exactly, the people on here have this mentality that the average GNR fan who likes Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O mine, November Rain and those kind of songs are just dying to hear a new album from them and once they hear are it are going to run and by a ticket, as I said in the other thread it is actually a deterrence as they know they are going to be playing those songs and people want to hear what they grew up with and like, so they might think, "ughh they are going to be promoting this album so I am guessing they are going to take away some of the "old" stuff they might play,more of a reason to sit this one out"

On 2/5/2020 at 8:22 AM, Original said:

I don't know how much difference it makes but I know that the 2017 and 2018 shows had a lot of seats not opened up for sale from day 1. That definitely made it look like more were sold at the beginning. From the seating chart images posted here, it looks like they opened all seats from day 1. That said, nobody would say sales are brisk!

10 minutes ago, k12 said:

exactly, the people on here have this mentality that the average GNR fan who likes Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O mine, November Rain and those kind of songs are just dying to hear a new album from them and once they hear are it are going to run and by a ticket, as I said in the other thread it is actually a deterrence as they know they are going to be playing those songs and people want to hear what they grew up with and like, so they might think, "ughh they are going to be promoting this album so I am guessing they are going to take away some of the "old" stuff they might play,more of a reason to sit this one out"

I think some of you guys underestimate and patronise the average GNR concert goer. Whilst it's true that the GNR hardcore fanbase who are desperate for a new album make up a small percentage of their audience, I think they're a lot larger in size than people realise. Some people act as if the only people who care about new music from this band are a few thousand people who post on the GNR forums, but the majority of people who bought Chinese Democracy do not post on fan forums and the majority of people who'd buy a new album also don't frequent sites like this.

I don't believe anyone who was planning on buying a ticket to see this stadium tour would be put off by the release of a new album. That's moronic and I have more faith in the average music fan than that. At worst, they will feel indifferent to the new material, and go to see the hits, which they know will definitely get played, new album or not. If a new album sells in the region of 200k Stateside, that's a potential 200k people more invested in seeing the band live. It can only help!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Its delusional to think that a new GNR album featuring Slash wouldn't be huge deal.

it will be a semi-big deal, Chinese Democracy was a big deal when it happened and it pretty much bombed, if there aren't any "hits" it is going to be buzzworthy for about a week and than will be forgotten about,  and when was the last time any musician created any "hits" if they were above 40 years old, seems like a young person's game music is

37 minutes ago, k12 said:

there is just no way this tour is going to happen, unless they announce Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham are going to be playing the warm up gig between 6- 6:45, there is just no way they are going to have this tour, the overwhelming majority of tickets are usually sold by the first day of the on sale for most events, these shows look like they barely sold even 15% of the tickets, I do not care what kind of buzz a new GNR album is going to create, I do not think it is enough to make hundreds of thousands of people go out to see them again in a stadium when I am guessing anyone who wanted to see them saw them in the last couple of years, just really poor planning on GNR'S part, I am guessing the next couple of months they are going to announce "scheduling conflict" or some crap and announce the tour is "postponed"or cancelled.

They will most likely do these shows because they will probably get a fully paid regardless the attendance. If all else fails, some other big names will join the bill and help puting asses in those seats.

• GNFNR 1

17 hours ago, novemberparadise23 said:

Have a wedding the night of MetLife show. So cant do that one. Debating whether to road trip down to philly or Boston. Been to Fenway a few times for baseball games. How is stadium in philly ? 

hey I'm from philly and going to the philly show.   citizens bank park is beautiful.  I reccomend seats on the third base side because the sun sets in an opening in left field, so you will have issues seeing anything until the sun goes down if you sit in the first base side.  

let me know if you need ideas for hotel stay, restaurants or anything like that.  I'll help you out as best as I can.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

They will most likely do these shows because they will probably get a fully paid regardless the attendance. If all else fails, some other big names will join the bill and help puting asses in those seats.

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Tour will not be cancelled, the tickets will just be sold for much cheaper and potentially a loss (for the promoters, Guns won’t lose a dime which means they won’t give a shit)

Exactly. 

It absolutely will not get cancelled BUT it will end up on Groupon if need be or outright papered for free.

Either way, the tour will occur and the stadiums will be full or mostly full. Over half the place will just be free and/or deeply discounted. 

• GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

there will be no other big names for the 6 shows with Smashing Pumpkins already mentioned, they might get some smaller act (Sebastian Bach?) to play for like 45 minutes at the beginning of the show, for those other shows that have yet to announce an opener yet, they would need like a major perhaps stadium worthy act to really get sales moving at this point, who could that be? Foo Fighters? AC/DC? Red Hot Chili Peppers? I am guessing all those guys want to headline themselves

on a side note, it pisses me off about the "discounts" that are inevitable for these shows, you get the die hards as the ones who buy them on the first day, alot of them might not have the money so they are going for the cheaper seats, than as the event is closer you often see better seats at a cheaper price, it also makes for a worse show as a more casual fan is going to wait and get a better seat while the die hard is up in the rafters and you want the person to be rocking out the whole show as close as possible, it just goes along with the greed that is the concert industry these days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k12 said:

Wanna bet? 200$

15 minutes ago, k12 said:

there will be no other big names for the 6 shows with Smashing Pumpkins already mentioned, they might get some smaller act (Sebastian Bach?) to play for like 45 minutes at the beginning of the show, for those other shows that have yet to announce an opener yet, they would need like a major perhaps stadium worthy act to really get sales moving at this point, who could that be? Foo Fighters? AC/DC? Red Hot Chili Peppers? I am guessing all those guys want to headline themselves

Personally I wouldn't consider Billy Corgan a big name and not very fitting for GNR, but he might help sell a couple of tix and is not a big seller by himself either anymore. I could see Foos or DC joining a co-headlining tour since both bands seem to be on good terms with GNR, but they will both blow GNR in their current form to pieces. Alice In Chains used to open for GNR too regardless of them being a much better band than GNR but they're not as popular. I once attended a GNR show only to see AIC and GNR was more like the cherry on top for me. Doesn't work with Billy Corgan for me though. You'd have to pay me serious money to sit through more than one of his songs in person.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 2:42 PM, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I have no interest in seeing Smashing Pumpkins, so I guess if they open at Fenway Park, I’ll be at the merchandise stands or on the toilet

lol that's how I feel. This is a new Ranger stadium, so I will be walking around and checking it out.

I will be seeing the Crue, Def Leppard and Poison concert a month before, so it'll be easier to get around when I see GNR. I know AT&T cowboy stadium's parking is over $100 and their food is high too. I expect this new stadium to be the same. It's getting to be so damn expensive to see a concert these days. Damn.

My mom saw David Bowie in 1973 for $16 and she has sixth row seats. lol

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. 

It absolutely will not get cancelled BUT it will end up on Groupon if need be or outright papered for free.

Either way, the tour will occur and the stadiums will be full or mostly full. Over half the place will just be free and/or deeply discounted. 

Well, GNR was here in Arlington 4 years ago and played Cowboy stadium. The place was pretty much sold out, so i expect it to be the same way this time around. i think most fans have faith that Axl will be there!

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Tour is not gonna be cancelled. Again just because the first day of ticket sales is slow doesn’t mean the sky is falling 

I agree - it won't get cancelled. The tickets will become super-cheap and/or free though. 

What beats me is why Live Nation took this on in the first place. You'd think they'd know what they were doing.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I agree - it won't get cancelled. The tickets will become super-cheap and/or free though. 

What beats me is why Live Nation took this on in the first place. You'd think they'd know what they were doing.....

I'm sure they do. There are still some months until the shows.

33 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Personally I wouldn't consider Billy Corgan a big name and not very fitting for GNR

Thats interesting to hear your perspective. Because for me, I always thought there were some parallels between the two bands. Like maniac singers who sing about their gripes with society and who've spoken about traumatic childhoods. Musical mostly though - theres usually substantial guitar intros in both bands, lots of guitar solos and the solos are usually over a unique piece of music within the songs. Dual guitar sound. Both bands have hits that are acoustic and hits that are really heavy. Lots of their music is heavily produced. Double albums (if one allows the UYIs to be a double album) at peak of careers. Both bands broken up due to drugs and egos and then reunited. Both Billy and Axl tried really hard to go goth/industrial at one point. And both bands are interracial and have/had blonde chicks as members.

I guess SP is a little more psychedelic and Guns is more at the bluesy end of things though. But I get the pairing, personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, k12 said:

Spoiler alert: the tour will go off as planned.

8 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I'm sure they do. There are still some months until the shows.

What can they pull out of the bag here though? What's the 'big sell'.....and why on earth (if indeed there is a 'big sell') wasn't it used at the critical moment, i.e. the ticket sale launch? 

That's the point you throw everything out there and make people dip into their wallets. It's all about the buzz. Give them time to think and they'll go "ah, actually, it's pretty expensive, when I think about it, I'm not that bothered". These sort of tours rely massively on impulse and 'get em quick' without thinking too much. It's one of the reasons prices are very elusive before things go on sale - to stop people talking themselves out of buying them, or thinking too much. 

None of these things seem to be happening, and the sales seem to be dreadful. Sure, they'll sell a few more in the coming months, but to even raise it in the public's consciousness again there would have to be a big hook, a big pull, or something.....and again, it makes no sense that if there IS a big pull, it hasn't been used when it needed to be. 

Edited by allwaystired

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

hey I'm from philly and going to the philly show.   citizens bank park is beautiful.  I reccomend seats on the third base side because the sun sets in an opening in left field, so you will have issues seeing anything until the sun goes down if you sit in the first base side.  

let me know if you need ideas for hotel stay, restaurants or anything like that.  I'll help you out as best as I can.  

Thanks for the help Chester! Really appreciate it. Will probably hit you up closer to showtime for some ideas.

• Like 1