North American Tour Dates Announced

53 minutes ago, Amir said:

I think the answer to both of these is $$$ and feeling lack of enthusiasm from outside the hardcore fanbase for new music from that lineup. From the 2018 Billboard article:

Maybe Axl thought he had a better shot of releasing his work with Slash back in the band, i.e. that the label would get behind him? Right now the money is too good for them to do anything but tour, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah. I don’t doubt we will get something - if the sales of this tour point to anything then it’s that they are reaching saturation point. Soon the money won’t be too good (No way will Live Nation be giving them dosh AGAIN after this run.....surely) so attention turns to new music to warrant more touring.

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah. I don’t doubt we will get something - if the sales of this tour point to anything then it’s that they are reaching saturation point. Soon the money won’t be too good (No way will Live Nation be giving them dosh AGAIN after this run.....surely) so attention turns to new music to warrant more touring.

OR...and most likely, they go silent for 4-5 years and do it all again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

OR...and most likely, they go silent for 4-5 years and do it all again.

IF that were to happen it’s game over for GNR. Few will buy into a ‘reunion’ 5 years later with them in their early 60’s with Axl likely struggling. Yeah they could tour but it would be on a much smaller scale. They need to keep ticking over - even an EP/tour/EP/tour would be enough.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

IF that were to happen it’s game over for GNR. Few will buy into a ‘reunion’ 5 years later with them in their early 60’s with Axl likely struggling. Yeah they could tour but it would be on a much smaller scale. They need to keep ticking over - even an EP/tour/EP/tour would be enough.

They should tour on a much smaller scale anyway. They don't need to tour Stadiums. Stadium shows suck anyway.. There are bands that have a much larger legacy than them that can't fill stadiums.. That was fine for the initial reunion but now it is just dumb. There is nothing shameful about playing Arenas and amphitheaters. 

• Like 2

I wonder if theres other industry pressures that leads promoters to book them in stadiums? Especially a near monopoly like LN.

"Live Nation owns, operates, has exclusive booking rights for, or has an interest in some 240 venues, including the House of Blues clubs. Also a leading artist management firm, the company has nearly 110 managers providing services to more than 400 artists. Live Nation has offices in 40 countries and venues in 11 countries." https://www.vault.com/company-profiles/media-entertainment/live-nation-entertainment-inc

Iirc there are stadiums that fall under one of those LN arrangements.

So, I guess there is a pressure to keep those stadiums booked year round? So even if a stadium tour isnt a huge success, it still kept the lights on for the employee base and management infrastructure at the venues that they own or work with exclusively?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

True but aerosmith still tour the same setlist for decades and they headline festivals in Europe. 

37 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's exactly what they will do. 

If no new material is forthcoming during the tour, this will happen, and anyone that thinks otherwise is living on cloud nine. 

They'll have the Illusions 30th anniversary in 2021. There'll be another Box set to promote. Maybe we'll get Crash Diet live... If we're lucky

2 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

True but aerosmith still tour the same setlist for decades and they headline festivals in Europe. 

Hmm. Fair comment - although not sure how well they do overseas vs GNR? I’m not a big Aerosmith fan so never paid much attention to them but in the UK GNR are so far ahead in terms of popularity it’s unreal. Aerosmith are massive in US though so they can probably get away with minimal changes.

53 minutes ago, WildStar said:

They'll have the Illusions 30th anniversary in 2021. There'll be another Box set to promote. Maybe we'll get Crash Diet live... If we're lucky

Or Ain't Goin Down

14 hours ago, jamillos said:

Edit: Last time they've released something worth promoting together was almost 30 years ago; I guess they want to take a more thought out course rather than just release a CD like SMKC or Duff would do. This is a really huge thing, when you think about it. This is it. A big deal. Not just another rock n' roll album of the new decade. 

Absolutely. They want to maximize the hype and everything as much as possible.

23 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Hmm. Fair comment - although not sure how well they do overseas vs GNR? I’m not a big Aerosmith fan so never paid much attention to them but in the UK GNR are so far ahead in terms of popularity it’s unreal. Aerosmith are massive in US though so they can probably get away with minimal changes.

Since a headline show at Wembley Stadium in 1999 Aerosmith have only played 6 UK Shows in 20 years. It certainly hasn't been overkill. 

They have been adding the odd deep cut at their Vegas shows. 

1 hour ago, WildStar said:

Good point.....although I'm not sure the setlist would change much or an Illusions tour, it would probably just be billed as one! 

3 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I still say there'll be one new song before the tour. I highly doubt that'll move thousands of tickets though. Not sure what would besides an AFD reunion?

I think a new song before the tour kicks off would drum up a lot of interest, especially if the song is able to break through to a younger fan base. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I think a new song before the tour kicks off would drum up a lot of interest, especially if the song is able to break through to a younger fan base. 

One new song might help tickets sales a bit. A full album, along with proper promotion would help out a lot better though. 

• Like 2

The NA shows are still 5 month away. A lot of things can happen in between now and then and I still think the venues will be mostly full by showtime.  I really wouldn't be shocked at all if they drop some new music before they US run of shows starts.  I do think they have a plan. No idea why, but I do. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Coma16 said:

They missed an opportunity to not include the "new" album for ticket purchases. It would instantly go platinum...

Yes that would have been a winner for them but imagine waiting for the album to come in the post! Nightrain takes 6 months to send a crappy Passport and patch out. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The NA shows are still 5 month away. A lot of things can happen in between now and then and I still think the venues will be mostly full by showtime.  I really wouldn't be shocked at all if they drop some new music before they US run of shows starts.  I do think they have a plan. No idea why, but I do. 

I think you must be one of the few people left who wouldn't be shocked if they dropped some new music. Most of us would fall off our sofas! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It seems that way and I have not really been watching other markets anymore, but it looks like The Rolling Stones are having as much trouble selling tix in Louisville as Guns are here in Indy.  Both shows have huge areas of tickets still available at all price points. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

It seems that way and I have not really been watching other markets anymore, but it looks like The Rolling Stones are having as much trouble selling tix in Louisville as Guns are here in Indy.  Both shows have huge areas of tickets still available at all price points. 

Just looked at Mpls.  Stones also have a shitload available.  The market is so saturated with tours.  

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Haha! I'm not there yet...I'm still in the 'caring' phase, but I can see myself moving towards the opposite if this year brings no advances.

I would be interested for sure if they released something but music from this lineup and Axl's current state doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. They were ten years too late in 2016 as it was. 

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would be interested for sure if they released something but music from this lineup and Axl's current state doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. They were ten years too late in 2016 as it was. 

10 years too late - You could be right there. But on reflection of the NITL Tour they should have jumped on it in 2018 and took the year off to release new music. The Tour was still fairly fresh and the hype was big. 

• Like 2