Rolling Stone rip into GNR for announcing the 14th leg of the reunion tour

Just now, MidnightToker said:

No, the band absolutely deserves it. It's been 20+ years of teasing new music with only one album -- CD, which many consider subpar -- to show for it. They're stringing along fans with the promise of new music to keep them buying tickets for the same old show. Someone needed to call them out for it. 

Yep.

Sorry but "blame the customer" is just not the correct stance to take here. 

Another reason the RS article makes me happy is because they're now getting shit from more than just the "die hards". Hopefully things like this will continue and it'll hit GNR in the other thing they care about: their wallets. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Imagine hopping on the 'yellow-route' tram to centretainment to see GNR again hey?! Were you there last time...ridiculously hot day! 

yeah, remember it well! Kept waiting for ages, heat wave... pissed up standing, sweating like buggery! right mess! great show though. Had been to Rock in Rio Lisbon (first gig of the Euro tour) prior to that so it must have been my second GNR show maybe. Wasn't he late on stage due to having a roast dinner or soemthing? Comedy! Even back then i remember saying Axl will probably never tour again! Been saying that every time they tour lol! 

Pretty sure Izzy joined them on stage that show. Epic!

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yep.

Sorry but "blame the customer" is just not the correct stance to take here. 

Another reason the RS article makes me happy is because they're now getting shit from more than just the "die hards". Hopefully things like this will continue and it'll hit GNR in the other thing they care about: their wallets. 

That's the thing. This article is validation for those of us who have been utterly disappointed with the lack of movement on the new music front, despite their assurances that's what would come next after the fall tour, or that the first show of the "THE NEXT CHAPTER" was the same f*cking show we've seen for 4 years now.  

Fernando, Axl, and Jarmo would love to believe that way of thinking is limited to a handful of hardcore fans on the forums. This article shows otherwise. And we know how much they love this type of press. 

Edited by sofine11
  • Thanks 1

In fairness, these people demanded for years and years that Axl & Slash reunite. Now it's finally happened and it's called boring.

I agree the setlist needs shaking up and new music should be getting made (unless they're just not feeling it - and if that's the case then just don't force it), but complaining about too much Axl & Slash touring seems odd to me, especially from an outlet like Rolling Stone.

All this said, I probably won't go. Money is tight for me right now and the setlist is the same, but I will just never be bummed about them playing together again.

• Like 2

To be fair here, the band never promised to be working on a new album. That’s just straight up lies. They’ve made some vague noises about hoping to do something or material being there. 

The band do kinda deserve this though. They’ve barely changed a thing in 14 legs. The set list is basically the same as it was in 2016. 

An article like this from a big magazine is not good for the band or the public’s perception of the band.

Just now, jacdaniel said:

To be fair here, the band never promised to be working on a new album. That’s just straight up lies. They’ve made some vague noises about hoping to do something or material being there. 

The band do kinda deserve this though. They’ve barely changed a thing in 14 legs. The set list is basically the same as it was in 2016. 

An article like this from a big magazine is not good for the band or the public’s perception of the band.

Well, Richard said, that they won't tour without new music...

Rolling Stone sucks as a magazine. It hasn't had any good articles in years. It's gotten so political in all it's articles.

I doubt GNR cares what they say. Many bands tour years and years without any new music and don't get shit for it. They continue to see out and fans are happy to see them over and over again.

As long as GNR continues to do concerts in the Dallas area my family and I will be there.

Don't get me wrong, I would love new music, but honestly, I love hearing the songs GNR has now.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

Well, Richard said, that they won't tour without new music...

And Slash said several times that finishing the album would be their focus once they wrapped up the fall tour.  I'm sure that's what he was sold. Can't imagine what held that up.

5 minutes ago, bangit said:

yeah, remember it well! Kept waiting for ages, heat wave... pissed up standing, sweating like buggery! right mess! great show though. Had been to Rock in Rio Lisbon (first gig of the Euro tour) prior to that so it must have been my second GNR show maybe. Wasn't he late on stage due to having a roast dinner or soemthing? Comedy! Even back then i remember saying Axl will probably never tour again! Been saying that every time they tour lol! 

Pretty sure Izzy joined them on stage that show. Epic!

Haha- that was the rumour doing the rounds at the time...I think it was probably nonsense though! Yeah, great show, Izzy was definitely there. 

Think it was my third - I did Leeds and London Docklands when they did those two dates with Buckethead. To be honest, I miss all that era- it was all so bizarre and exciting. 

I don't think you need to worry about them 'never touring again' anymore! They'll be playing in West Street Live if things go on as they are! 

Although the article definitely calls out GnR for not having released any new music, it seems to rank higher the AFD5 reunion and playing Appetite in its entirety as the cool things the band could do to sell a new tour, so it doesn't fully align with the dominant sentiment on the forums. I don't think the majority of the people on here would be satisfied if the novelty of this tour was playing Appetite in its entirety, even with Izzy and Steven.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Rolling Stone sucks as a magazine. It hasn't had any good articles in years. It's gotten so political in all it's articles.

I doubt GNR cares what they say. Many bands tour years and years without any new music and don't get shit for it. They continue to see out and fans are happy to see them over and over again.

As long as GNR continues to do concerts in the Dallas area my family and I will be there.

Don't get me wrong, I would love new music, but honestly, I love hearing the songs GNR has now.

I can't think of many bands who do, to be honest.....

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Although the article definitely calls out GnR for not having released any new music, it seems to rank higher the AFD5 reunion and playing Appetite in its entirety as the cool things the band could do to sell a new tour, so it doesn't fully align with the dominant sentiment on the forums. I don't think the majority of the people on here would be satisfied if the novelty of this tour was playing Appetite in its entirety, even with Izzy and Steven.

But... this would be something new at least... adding a song to the setlist or shuffeling the order doesn't make the Show "all new"

42 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

"Maybe in 2026, they can do a 10-year anniversary tour of the reunion tour."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ohhh that made me lol to, best damn line i’v read by far for a long time.

Hope TB reads that, might give em an idea to what to do next:lol::lol::facepalm:

10 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

But... this would be something new at least... adding a song to the setlist or shuffeling the order doesn't make the Show "all new"

Compared to what it is now, yeah, it would be different, but only if both Izzy and Steven were there for the full show. Imagine if the new tour was the current lineup playing AFD from start to finish, meaning just two "new" songs this lineup hasn't played yet - which, I imagine, are not among the deep cuts that the fans would want the most to hear. At least now, there's possibility that they add a couple more songs from UYI in the set.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

It’s so crazy to think about how exciting January 2016-April 2016 was, and how things have completely changed 4 years later.

In early 2016 it felt like there was new, exciting news coming out every other day about GnR. I was glued to this site and google, just waiting for the next story to come out. 

Now 4 years later and nothing has changed with this band and it has become very stale. No new music, no exciting headlines, etc. It’s just the same old stuff, recycled over and over. No, I won’t go to a GnR show until they release brand new recorded music. Why waste my money on seeing the same thing I’ve already seen a time or two? I have a VERY hard time believing they will be able to sell out stadiums again until new music comes out.   It’s not like they magically grew a whole new group of fans!!!

so frustrating... 

• Like 1

Harsh. People do keep attending the shows, and enjoy them, who is to say they stop, just because it is a constructed social ‘norm’? I for one am quite happy they’re still touring. Perhaps the biggest surprise, 4 years down the line is that the shows are for the most part, great. Has the Rolling Stone reporter seen one recently? Probably not. Smacks of lazily filling columns inches imo.

10 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I dont find this article to be political?

I mean RS continues to be a political voice as they've always been with political journalists like Matt Taibi writing for the politics section of the magazine. But I think with music they just cover it and if its politically charged then its their job to shine light on that? Like, in todays world even Swifties are a political entity. Em's picked sides. Adele's body is a battleground for online hate. East Nashville done got woke. Then we still have the Spike Lees, the Boss's, the Catch Scratch fever guy whose name I forget. Cultural and politics are overlapping realities and RS has always craved to pick through that aspect of it all.

Obviously its totally cool if ones not interested in that aspect of music though! :) 

• Like 1

It's kinda sad that this article starts to spread and ends up hurting the band/tour sales, but GNR deserves it.
They kept hinting about how they were working on new music and nothing came out of that. If they just publicly acknowledged and said 'we have no plans to release new music' and just named this leg of the tour NITL: Summer 2020 or something like that, this article would have never been made. Instead, they branded this leg like this 'new chapter', an 'all new show'.
If they simply were sincere and openly said everything would be the same for years and years of touring, nobody could blame them for that. But that kind of honesty doesn't sell tickets.

• Like 1