Jump to content

Rolling Stone rip into GNR for announcing the 14th leg of the reunion tour


Recommended Posts

It was about time the good will they had gotten from "semi" reuniting ran out. They've been pushing it since 2018 really. Rolling Stone coming out and laying into the band will atleast get their attention, though I doubt it'll make them rethink anything for even a second.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-reunion-las-vegas-2016-947513/amp/?__twitter_impression=true Quite a few digs in there. Best bits:   And:  

The GN'R brand deserves every bit of this from Rolling Stone. 

Good, they deserve the scrutiny.  This is getting ridiculous, or worse, just plain boring.

1 minute ago, sofine11 said:

Riiight, because we all know negative press bounces right off Axl the same way bullets bounce off Superman. :lol:

You think Axl reads Rolling Stone? No one in that entourage is sending him that link 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sofine11 said:

Riiight, because we all know negative press bounces right off Axl the same way bullets bounce off Superman. :lol:

So he'll do a rant during a few shows and go on tour in 2022.

Nothing will change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats to say they will not release a new album during the tour? Casual fans as stated a million times previously on this board could care less about a new album. I have been a fan from the beginning and the material they have released is so strong(minus Chinese Democracy) that I will continue to attend any concert within a reasonable distance. They do need to desperately shake up the setlist and include more deep cuts from the Illusion albums and it will feel like a fresh show. Axl learning to sing his own songs again would also be beneficial. 

Edited by ironmt
Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume Rolling Stone has been in Axl's "shit list" since they did that infamous piece on him in 2000 (just after he had given them an exclusive interview) - he hasn't done an interview with them since then. So even if he reads the magazine - he probably does - I don't think articles like this coming from it are going to have any effect on him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I assume Rolling Stone has been in Axl's "shit list" since they did that infamous piece on him in 2000 (just after he had given them an exclusive interview) - he hasn't done an interview with them since then. So even if he reads the magazine - he probably does - I don't think articles like this coming from it are going to have any effect on him.

You're not wrong, but I would think it has more of an effect on him than the fan's he's obviously disregarded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I assume Rolling Stone has been in Axl's "shit list" since they did that infamous piece on him in 2000 (just after he had given them an exclusive interview) - he hasn't done an interview with them since then. So even if he reads the magazine - he probably does - I don't think articles like this coming from it are going to have any effect on him.

I would think it would, just because he's so sensitive (I don't mean that in a shitty way, btw) 

The main thing is that it probably won't have any effect on the GN'R brand, which is a bummer. 

All we can do as fans is hope someone within the brand eventually gives a remote shit about the fans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

They were way late for Louder than Life. For the record. So Rolling Stone is wrong that they haven't been late to a single show.

They came on hours late at the Hollywood Palladium as well...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolling Stone is a joke. Kinda like MTV.  Both used to be great.  As far as no new music- The Eagles are touring (all the hits), Stones same, The Stadium Tour (does anyone expect Poison-Lep or Crue to play anything new?).  I’m going to Bon Jovi in June- guess what?  Anything new half the audience sits or makes a piss/beer run.  Saw Def in Vegas last summer- it was part deep tracks and then all bangers.  Crowd loved it.  Unless Axl and Slash can harken back to the heyday and write something kick ass then Rolling Stone and rest of “us” will just rip it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Original said:

Rolling Stone is a joke. Kinda like MTV.  Both used to be great.  As far as no new music- The Eagles are touring (all the hits), Stones same, The Stadium Tour (does anyone expect Poison-Lep or Crue to play anything new?).  I’m going to Bon Jovi in June- guess what?  Anything new half the audience sits or makes a piss/beer run.  Saw Def in Vegas last summer- it was part deep tracks and then all bangers.  Crowd loved it.  Unless Axl and Slash can harken back to the heyday and write something kick ass then Rolling Stone and rest of “us” will just rip it. 

The difference between everyone you mentioned and GNR is that those bands haven't continually promised new music to their fans got over two decades now and never delivered. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RussTCB said:

The difference between everyone you mentioned and GNR is that those bands haven't continually promised new music to their fans got over two decades now and never delivered. 

Well fair point. Although we all know who runs Guns and has he ever said anything about new music?   Seems it was always the “Nu” guys and lately Fortus.   Maybe they just had wishful thinking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

You're not wrong, but I would think it has more of an effect on him than the fan's he's obviously disregarded.

 

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I would think it would, just because he's so sensitive (I don't mean that in a shitty way, btw) 

The main thing is that it probably won't have any effect on the GN'R brand, which is a bummer. 

All we can do as fans is hope someone within the brand eventually gives a remote shit about the fans. 

I don't know... He has gotten a lot of negative press or "constructive criticism" through the years from outlets he considers hostile, but, although he has probably been affected by it, it hasn't been in a productive manner - more like to the opposite direction, I would think.

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand some fans not caring about new music. I can't understand fans that aren't passionate enough to care about new music being passionate enough to post regularly on a message board about said band. I'm always baffled by those who care enough to post here who give a shrug to the idea of new music. Not criticizing it's just bizarre to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Original said:

Rolling Stone is a joke. Kinda like MTV.  Both used to be great.  As far as no new music- The Eagles are touring (all the hits), Stones same, The Stadium Tour (does anyone expect Poison-Lep or Crue to play anything new?).  I’m going to Bon Jovi in June- guess what?  Anything new half the audience sits or makes a piss/beer run.  Saw Def in Vegas last summer- it was part deep tracks and then all bangers.  Crowd loved it.  Unless Axl and Slash can harken back to the heyday and write something kick ass then Rolling Stone and rest of “us” will just rip it. 

Crue released 4 tracks in 2019, no? The Stones had Blue And Lonesome recently enough for their cycles.

And Id have to see what Andy Greene may or may not have written about The Eagles to have any honest comparison. :shrugs:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Original said:

Well fair point. Although we all know who runs Guns and has he ever said anything about new music?   Seems it was always the “Nu” guys and lately Fortus.   Maybe they just had wishful thinking. 

Axl Rose himself has promised at least 3 albums of new material. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soon said:

Crue released 4 tracks in 2019, no? The Stones had Blue And Lonesome recently enough for their cycles.

And Id have to see what Andy Greene may or may not have written about The Eagles to have any honest comparison. :shrugs:

 

The Crue did but at least one was a cover (of Madonna vomit).  And if they played any of those 4 would anyone in crown care?   Nope.  

Just now, RussTCB said:

Axl Rose himself has promised at least 3 albums of new material. 

Yeah but recently?  And at any rate I’m pumped to see my show this summer. It is what it is... rock on!   

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Original said:

Yeah but recently?  And at any rate I’m pumped to see my show this summer. It is what it is... rock on!   

Hahaha.... That's your argument? That he didn't say it recently? That only makes it worse. It makes it far worse that he said it so long ago and never cared to make good on what he said to the fans. 

If you want to go to shows and you're going to enjoy them, more power to you. But don't try to make excuses for the band though, especially when they're completely unjustifiable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

By continuing to tour, the public perception now appears to be they are a legacy act. When the reunion was announced, the perception would have been they would be a ‘normal’ band in that they would release and tour. By going on too long - all the folk who were there through the ‘nu’ years who would lap up new material have been dwarfed by the mainstream folk who just wanted to see Axl and Slash on stage.....and here we are.

MetallicA for example - they play new stuff all the time and for the most part they ain’t pissbreaks. But they have a good balance touring and releasing so that’s the habit the fans are used to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NicDwolfwood said:

It was about time the good will they had gotten from "semi" reuniting ran out. They've been pushing it since 2018 really. Rolling Stone coming out and laying into the band will atleast get their attention, though I doubt it'll make them rethink anything for even a second.

Yeah for me the goodwill was lost after the fall 2019 “mini tour” basically got extended into 2020. Our only hope now is that we find out when the tour starts in March that there really is new music and they’re just not ready to say it yet, for whatever strange reason. Doubt that’s the case, tho.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Wasn’t it Rolling Stone that interviewed Slash a few years back and gave him a tough time, not following the script. And Slash whinged about it afterwards? 
 

Some bad blood there perhaps.

I would imagine there's some annoyance that the 'big' interviews haven't been forthcoming in 4 years. No sit-down with Axl and Slash, no photo spread. Slash and Duff have done the odd thing here and there but the mainstream music press has been denied the coveted deal. I'm fairly sure many of these publications have tried to secure such an exclusive and knock backs tend to piss journalists off.

I can understand why they haven't gone there as a band especially early on but like it or not you do have to throw the MSM a bone now and then to keep them onside.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...