Rolling Stone rip into GNR for announcing the 14th leg of the reunion tour

Somebody needed to point Gn'R out for this endless touring with no material, and the Rolling Stone did it! It was completely fair-game if you ask me! The fans are paying ridiculously (hell, you could even say criminally) expensive prices just to see a band that keeps milking the cash cow by this neverending touring and what have they got to show for it? There is hardly any changes in the setlist, let alone any new material being played. I could understand if they genuinely weren't able to release an album, but at least put at least made use of the leaks just like in '06-'07, announced a tour and made it clear to the fans that they will hear new material. But what we've seen in Miami, I'd be very surprised if something did take change on the S.A. leg this March. As somebody said, the band needs a good slap on the wrists to be reminded that they are really playing their fans, and if we can get more reviews like the Rolling Stone, perhaps it will begin to affect their ticket sales to the point that they will have to do something new? Who knows, but this review is at least a starting point and I'm glad to see that finally somebody has taken some form of action. Good on you Rolling Stone!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I would imagine there's some annoyance that the 'big' interviews haven't been forthcoming in 4 years. No sit-down with Axl and Slash, no photo spread. Slash and Duff have done the odd thing here and there but the mainstream music press has been denied the coveted deal. I'm fairly sure many of these publications have tried to secure such an exclusive and knock backs tend to piss journalists off.

I can understand why they haven't gone there as a band especially early on but like it or not you do have to throw the MSM a bone now and then to keep them onside.

An Axl/Slash interview could be a problem. In Axl's China Exchange June 2016 interview he was still saying how Slash's book had lies in it. If an interviewer brought that stuff up (and since it was a major part of the feud I don't see how they couldn't) it could get very awkward.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

An Axl/Slash interview could be a problem. In Axl's China Exchange June 2016 interview he was still saying how Slash's book had lies in it. If an interviewer brought that stuff up (and since it was a major part of the feud I don't see how they couldn't) it could get very awkward.

Which is why they haven't done it. Which I get from their pov but I bet a number of publications tried quite hard.

what is the real driving force behind all these shows? I still contend all decisions in GNR are made through Axl and whatever Axl wants everyone else is going to go along with, so why are they doing this? is this Axl's way of saying FU and just milking it for everything possible  and trying to make as much money as possible (after years of saying he is never going to get back with Slash)? maybe Axl and perhaps others think this "reunion" is not going to be a long term thing and are just trying to cash in while they can, maybe Axl is afraid his voice is going to go sometime in the next decade and is trying to cash in? it just seems weird to do this constant never ending touring

22 minutes ago, k12 said:

what is the real driving force behind all these shows? I still contend all decisions in GNR are made through Axl and whatever Axl wants everyone else is going to go along with, so why are they doing this? is this Axl's way of saying FU and just milking it for everything possible  and trying to make as much money as possible (after years of saying he is never going to get back with Slash)? maybe Axl and perhaps others think this "reunion" is not going to be a long term thing and are just trying to cash in while they can, maybe Axl is afraid his voice is going to go sometime in the next decade and is trying to cash in? it just seems weird to do this constant never ending touring

$$$$$ and lots of it. Divorces are expensive 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

I wonder if Axl realizes that Team Brazil is going to release everything in the vault someday.  I bet Fernando has it all planned out.  

*Cough* Axl's passing *cough* they will be milking all those unreleased demos, instrumentals, final mixes and who knows what else in the vault. Honestly that's the only way the "new" music will ever come out. Cold truth...

Edited by DarkLotus1111

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I don't think I'll buy tickets to another GN'R show until they release, and/or play new music.

The Village "locker" leaks are the best thing to happen to hardcore GN'R fans since the release of Chinese Democracy, and some live shows. 

Yeah, thank fuck we got the village discs!

11 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

I wonder if Axl realizes that Team Brazil is going to release everything in the vault someday.  I bet Fernando has it all planned out.  

Axl have brother and sister, why is Fernando will inherit to Axl vault❓

56 minutes ago, k12 said:

So Slash is the driving force behind it? He is egging Axl and everyone else to keep going?

Slash has always said he likes to keep busy. If axl has no intention of doing any studio work then slash has 2 choices,

Gnr touring or reconvening with SMKC.

I completely agree with the article.

But it is all academic because the brand will continue doing the same thing so long as people continue to pay extortionate amounts of money for those tickets - I keep seeing people asking about Nightrain presales on here for crying out loud. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Original said:

Rolling Stone is a joke. Kinda like MTV.  Both used to be great.  As far as no new music- The Eagles are touring (all the hits), Stones same, The Stadium Tour (does anyone expect Poison-Lep or Crue to play anything new?).  I’m going to Bon Jovi in June- guess what?  Anything new half the audience sits or makes a piss/beer run.  Saw Def in Vegas last summer- it was part deep tracks and then all bangers.  Crowd loved it.  Unless Axl and Slash can harken back to the heyday and write something kick ass then Rolling Stone and rest of “us” will just rip it. 

If you want to bring the Stones into it, they don’t play an identical setlist every night. Yes a lot of it is set in stone and they do play a lot of hits every night, but they switch up 4-5 songs nightly in an 18 or 19 song set. And it’s not like they’re pulling from a pool of 10 or so songs for those rotating slots - they rehearse about 50 songs before each leg of a tour. Not to mention the song vote each night, which adds a bit of excitement. Let me put it another way; I’ve seen the Stones 11 times to date, and every single time I’ve seen them do at least one song I’ve never seen live before. That’s a far cry from what GN’R is doing currently. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gnrjanus said:

Setlist the same? Someone here said it...

I can remember the days that gnr played

Chidem, twat, sorry, maddy, prost,this i love better in the same show

Lately we,ve gone from 7 to just 2 chinese songs per show

Well yes... That makes sense.. The energy drops at the shows during those tunes. Give me most stuff off TSI? ahead of CD.

• Like 1

It's pretty tame.. Letting the NITL reunion tour roll on into 2020 is a joke and I think that's what's sparked him. 

The Stones came back with a new album in 89 and a tour. All members present. Played a lot of different tunes on that tour.... 

GNR shit the bed on what they could have done, and IF a new album comes, with reworkings of Axls stuff over the past 20 years, it's not new music. It's not the album it might have been had AxL,  Slash,  Izzy & Duff written material from where they are now..... 

I'm surprised Rolling Stone even gave a rat's ass about them enough to write that article. Whatever interest and momentum GnR had with the general public was squandered back in 2016/2017. The media didn't give two fucks about those demos leaking from Zutaut's locker. No one cares anymore. I bet 1/3 of this forum wouldn't even bother to download the new album for free at this point. Axl was the boy who cried wolf for the past 20 years. We moved on.

They'd probably license welcome to the jungle for a Care Bears movie than release a single note of new music.