Jump to content

Rolling Stone rip into GNR for announcing the 14th leg of the reunion tour


Recommended Posts

I'm surprised Rolling Stone even gave a rat's ass about them enough to write that article. Whatever interest and momentum GnR had with the general public was squandered back in 2016/2017. The media didn't give two fucks about those demos leaking from Zutaut's locker. No one cares anymore. I bet 1/3 of this forum wouldn't even bother to download the new album for free at this point. Axl was the boy who cried wolf for the past 20 years. We moved on.

They'd probably license welcome to the jungle for a Care Bears movie than release a single note of new music.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-reunion-las-vegas-2016-947513/amp/?__twitter_impression=true Quite a few digs in there. Best bits:   And:  

The GN'R brand deserves every bit of this from Rolling Stone. 

Good, they deserve the scrutiny.  This is getting ridiculous, or worse, just plain boring.

11 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

In fairness, these people demanded for years and years that Axl & Slash reunite. Now it's finally happened and it's called boring.

I agree the setlist needs shaking up and new music should be getting made (unless they're just not feeling it - and if that's the case then just don't force it), but complaining about too much Axl & Slash touring seems odd to me, especially from an outlet like Rolling Stone.

All this said, I probably won't go. Money is tight for me right now and the setlist is the same, but I will just never be bummed about them playing together again.

It is boring. 

It is boring because they have been playing the same markets for four years without any new music or significant change to the setlist. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I’m gonna sit on the fence on this. 
I see both arguments. GNR can do what they want. It’s their band. If they don’t want to make music that’s their choice (no matter how frustrated we are with that). If they want to tour and tour And tour and ride off into the sunset with a billion each because fans keep paying to see them, then that’s their perogitive! 
 

the other side of the coin is, TB, Axl and now slash and duff are complicit in stringing along the hardcore fan base whilst rarely throwing them a bone. As a hardcore fan myself, it shits me to tears that this is the road they’ve taken. I would have thought that axl and slash reuniting may have enlightened them both to the sad fact that they pissed away 20 years of their prime over basically childish shit, and that may have been the motivating factor to get in and re-write history and make up for some lost time. Now this may still happen, but time is running out, their prime is long gone! And the long time fans are probably going to miss out on ever seeing anything new released in my opinion. 
 

what actually shits me the most (and many may disagree) but the fact is, we as hardcore fans would be willing to pay a pretty penny to buy some of the classic shows in pro shot form. I won’t lie, I would buy just about anything pro shot from 87-93 if they released it as an official release. To me that is more exciting and more frustrating that they haven’t done that too look after us than not releasing anything new with this line up. 
 

footnote: 

this is what happens when you let a nanny and her son run the affairs of what used to be the most dangerous band in the world 🤦‍♂️

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

what actually shits me the most (and many may disagree) but the fact is, we as hardcore fans would be willing to pay a pretty penny to buy some of the classic shows in pro shot form. I won’t lie, I would buy just about anything pro shot from 87-93 if they released it as an official release. To me that is more exciting and more frustrating that they haven’t done that too look after us than not releasing anything new with this line up. 
 

I think this actually is a double-huge opportunity, because a DVD from 87-93 would IMO be appealing to both hardcore and casual fans. The last thing they've seen in this regard is Tokyo 92. I'm not counting Appetite for Democracy, because as far as casuals go, GNR didn't exist between 1995 and 2016. So the band couldn't lose with releasing old pro-shots. 

Then again, we're talking about GNR, so let's not expect anything logical here... 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Honestly, I'm glad. If anything, it shows that hardcore fans in the forums aren't the only ones who were hoping GNR would make good on new music.  Everyone's getting tired of the runaround. 

99.999% of the outside world couldn't care less if GNR ever releases new music, only the majority of the people on here, people are not going to not go to a show because there is no new music, it is because they just saw them a couple of years ago and do not care to see them again, new music or not 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta quote the Scandinavian bloke's response to the article: "If the Not In This Lifetime tour ended last November, how is it the same tour then?

I guess their logic is that since it's the same band, it's the same "reunion tour"....
 

What an absolute wet blanket XD

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, k12 said:

99.999% of the outside world couldn't care less if GNR ever releases new music, only the majority of the people on here, people are not going to not go to a show because there is no new music, it is because they just saw them a couple of years ago and do not care to see them again, new music or not 

Nonsense. If that was true, bands wouldn't release new albums any more. GNR surely is specific, but not too different in this regard. And you can't say that those millions of people who bought Chinese Democracy (which for many was just Axl's solo project) were just die-hards from forums... 

Of course the world cares, especially after the NITL hype. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tadsy said:

this is what happens when you let a nanny and her son run the affairs of what used to be the most dangerous band in the world 🤦‍♂️

No. You're shifting the blame. This is all on Axl. You may dislike TB as much as you want, but TB is consequence of Axl lack of care about his own band/name, not the other way around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

In fairness, these people demanded for years and years that Axl & Slash reunite. Now it's finally happened and it's called boring.

 

I didn't. Completely the opposite. And I really hated it when many of the most ardent detractors and reunionists like Diesel and Magisme would go into every every. single. solitary. thread on anything to do with Chinese/Axl/the new band(s) to shit all over it saying the same things over and over. 

Then the reunion happened and I was pretty peeved after supporting and defending Axl/New Guns for years whilst waiting for CD 2 and 3 and going to fuckloads of shows and now having to swallow a reunion with Cancer with zero explanation. 

Then I got on board and started enjoying it and loving Slash playing Twat, Sorry, Prostitute etc. Towlie was already getting bored by 2017 and was adamant there'd be no new album and I totally believed it was coming soon. 

At this point i'm as pissed and disillusioned as those other guys were during the New Guns years and totally get their point of view. I'm not even bothering to go to a UK show without new music because I know that BORING is the exact word i'd use to describe the show if I was there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Rolling Stone sucks as a magazine. It hasn't had any good articles in years. It's gotten so political in all it's articles.

Rolling Stone has been political since the day it came out.  It was concieved on the basis of reporting the radical politics of the underground press, growing further to prominence by hosting Hunter S Thompsons political writings.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion the article has a lot of validity.I was just excited as anyone else that Slash and Duff we’re back in the fold.I always thought what if this band never broke up they came out with such great music in such a small time frame ....well here we are 4 years later and it’s the sos.Someone said most people dont care if they release new music ,I for one am not one of them .I think back to all my favorite bands growing up and how every single one of them still releases albums and tours behind them other then one .Maiden,Metallica ,Pearl Jam the list goes on and on and it makes going to shows that much funner .This tour is definitely a pass as I’d any future tours going forward until new music is involved which is most likely the 30th of Never .

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ratbrain said:

You don't make money selling records these days, not like you used to in the past anyway. The label gets it's cut from record sales? That leaves touring and toy trucks.

No one is arguing they need to stop touring altogether - the reason people are burned out is because there’s no new music to keep supporting the tour, and because the shows really haven’t changed at all since 2016 other than a couple songs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

"Maybe in 2026, they can do a 10-year anniversary tour of the reunion tour."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's the best line in the whole article :lol:

18 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

That's the worst thing, imo. If Axl comes out and says that there are no plans to release music, I'd be fine with that because then I wouldn't be holding my breath for an album. The runaround is the thing that pisses me off the most. 

I agree 

17 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

It’s so crazy to think about how exciting January 2016-April 2016 was, and how things have completely changed 4 years later.

 

In early 2016 it felt like there was new, exciting news coming out every other day about GnR. I was glued to this site and google, just waiting for the next story to come out. 

Now 4 years later and nothing has changed with this band and it has become very stale. No new music, no exciting headlines, etc. It’s just the same old stuff, recycled over and over. No, I won’t go to a GnR show until they release brand new recorded music. Why waste my money on seeing the same thing I’ve already seen a time or two? I have a VERY hard time believing they will be able to sell out stadiums again until new music comes out.   It’s not like they magically grew a whole new group of fans!!!

 

so frustrating... 

2016 was the best time of the reunion, after that it got boring. I was super excited about it then but now I'm just kind of meh about the whole thing.

10 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

They could get the new STP guy to do a Velvet Revolver tour

That would be cool but I don't think VR will ever come back again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

GNR's catalogue is so small that they could have played every album on its entirety by now, instead of doing the same show on every leg of the tour. Now, that would have been awesome, and would also give the band some breathing space to work on new music with a satisfied fanbase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, k12 said:

99.999% of the outside world couldn't care less if GNR ever releases new music, only the majority of the people on here, people are not going to not go to a show because there is no new music, it is because they just saw them a couple of years ago and do not care to see them again, new music or not 

I will never, ever, ever, ever, understand fans who defend GNR for *not* releasing music. Ever. And also never.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

GNR's catalogue is so small that they could have played every album on its entirety by now, instead of doing the same show on every leg of the tour. Now, that would have been awesome, and would also give the band some breathing space to work on new music with a satisfied fanbase.

That would be cool to see. They could do it in 2021 for UYI, play mostly those songs plus jungle/scom/pc. It won't happen though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

I didn't. Completely the opposite. And I really hated it when many of the most ardent detractors and reunionists like Diesel and Magisme would go into every every. single. solitary. thread on anything to do with Chinese/Axl/the new band(s) to shit all over it saying the same things over and over. 

Then the reunion happened and I was pretty peeved after supporting and defending Axl/New Guns for years whilst waiting for CD 2 and 3 and going to fuckloads of shows and now having to swallow a reunion with Cancer with zero explanation. 

Then I got on board and started enjoying it and loving Slash playing Twat, Sorry, Prostitute etc. Towlie was already getting bored by 2017 and was adamant there'd be no new album and I totally believed it was coming soon. 

At this point i'm as pissed and disillusioned as those other guys were during the New Guns years and totally get their point of view. I'm not even bothering to go to a UK show without new music because I know that BORING is the exact word i'd use to describe the show if I was there.

I was talking mostly about Rolling Stone and the general press. Every article, every review mentioned Slash & Duff, no matter what Axl did that's all people wanted to know. Now it comes around and it's just soooooo boring. 

But in a lot of ways I'm with you, I was a huge New GNR fan and I'm still way more interested in CD 2 & 3 than I am in an album by the original lineup. I defended Axl like crazy and still do. But now the setlist are still the same, no new music, ticket prices are gross, and it's all kind of disappointing. I'm also not going to the NY/Philly shows. Maaaaaybe if I can get a cheap ticket. I'm kind of shrugging at it. 

But I'd also venture to say this - the shows are anything but boring if you're there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Liked the article. Like many, it's a bitter pill to swallow that my fav band, musicians, of all time, have sadly become a nostalgic act. I expected more from them.  Regardless of opinions on the solo project, At least SMKC puts out albums before a tour.  I get the impression, they only put out album too tour. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...