Meltdown (WRIF) Top 3 GNR Songs

Your man speaks the truth in regards to TWAT being one of Axl's best vocal performances. Absolutely sensational.

Tell him he's wrong with the other 2 though, #3 should be Atlas Shrugged (RM01) and #1 should be Atlas Shrugged (drums up 1.5 Db) :axl:

• Haha 1

There Was a Time is an excellent song, in my top 3 as well (Don’t Cry, Madagascar and TWAT - no order). I get shit for this but I genuinely think Bucket’s solo is the greatest GNR solo ever, it conveys so much emotion to me while being a technical rollercoaster as well. Besides that I don’t know why I’m so drawn to this song- it caught my attention and I just love it to death. Glad to see It get some recognition.

• Like 2

I can’t disagree with these picks-he specifically says “Axl Rose” songs, otherwise Don’t Cry, Rocket queen, You Could Be Mine, Double Talkin’ Jive, Civil War could be thrown in there in some order. TWAT could be Axls Magnum Opus, either that or NR. I’m surprised Coma wasn’t considered-nothing conveys a feeling or set of emotions better arguably in the catalogue; the atmosphere of the riffs, sound effects, shift in dynamics, lyrics “no ones gonna bother me anymore”

”it’s so nice here down off the shore”

”I never really wanted to live”

”ZAP THE SON OF A BITCH AGAIN”

its Axl at his most masochistic, his most vulnerable, notwithstanding the romantic vulnerability of NR.

I love when people showcase the variety in the catalogue. Hopefully more people will pull off the “GNR as some ‘80s glam band with 3 hits” train

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

It could easily fit on illusions....probably uyi2.

It belongs on CD. Those solos clearly aren't Slash's style. As overproduced and overly tinkered with CD is, its a one off album. So many styles visited and as far as I am concerned, its miles ahead musically of anything else. Like BBF said its their white album. People will realise its genius in time. Shows how much Axl has actually wasted his talents since 1993.

What got me in 2008 was black ice and death magnetic came out that year as well. Both good albums but nothing new or original. CD is completely original and very different. Which for me makes it far better. 

5 hours ago, Axlr0s37 said:

It belongs on CD. Those solos clearly aren't Slash's style. As overproduced and overly tinkered with CD is, its a one off album. So many styles visited and as far as I am concerned, its miles ahead musically of anything else. Like BBF said its their white album. People will realise its genius in time. Shows how much Axl has actually wasted his talents since 1993.

What got me in 2008 was black ice and death magnetic came out that year as well. Both good albums but nothing new or original. CD is completely original and very different. Which for me makes it far better. 

Ive listened a couple of times of TWAT and BH solo on TWAT comes across as melodic and no more advanced than slashs solo on ozzys new song ordinary man. They have the same emotional feel.

The 08 release was a watered down version of the 2000 intentions. I prefer the 2000 intentions being far superior than the 08 release. 3 songs alone could have been radio singles, a massive opportunity blown. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

50 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

First: picking the top three gn'r songs is a theoretically impossible task, so I do not trust this publication.

Second: no Coma:(

It's funny you should mention... He asked me for my top 3 and Coma was in mine. 

• GNFNR 1

Solid taste, Mr. Meltdown.

Time is carried by Axl's vocal and Bucket's solo. I think it's a pretty average song outside of that.

It's kind of like a supercharged Breakdown but I like that song so I'm hardly hating on it.

Also, the album version is a travesty and burying and replacing Freese's drum outro is a warcrime. 

I'd swap that with "Better" personally but hey, different strokes. :headbang:

• Like 1