Travelling thread

Dangelus

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

I have only been to London and Canterbury. I travelled from London to Edinburgh once by bus, but that was in the night so I can't say I got to see a lot of your beloved England. I've always wanted to go to Liverpool, though, don't know if it's worth it. Maybe Manchester too.

Manchester's great. Liverpool stinks.

54 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

You're a Marlins fan. Are you a Floridan? Have you been to the Everglades? 

I am and have never been. It's sad!!! I need to go to Florida one day...and no, I am an Alaskan. As far opposite a Floridian as you can get! :lol: My brother who also lives up here in AK is a huge fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

We are just suckers for losing sports teams lol. :P 

• Haha 3

I used to travel a ton all over the US for work. It was cool getting to see a lot of US landmarks for fun cities with my down time. 

I've never traveled outside the county except to Windsor, Canada. I'd really like to get over to London and eventually Tokyo as well. 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Manchester's great. Liverpool stinks.

Never been to Liverpool, but this is correct.

As to the original question: You can never go wrong with Italy. Unless you are travelling with Kids, then Florida is a good idea. If you aren't traveling with kids but still want to go to USA, then California is perfect. If you are travelling with kids but want to stay in Europe, then Greece, Cyprus, Spain are generally good, or you could go to a larger city where there is always lots to do like London or Berlin. If you are travelling with kids but wants something more exotic and less American, then Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore works really well. If you want to go in that direction but travel as a couple then Tokyo and any larger cities are again perfect, or just go jungle hiking in Papa Ny Guinea, Indonesia or Borneo. If you want to enjoy the outdoors then Norway is nearby, bring a tent a fishing rod and some good walking boots and it is heaven.

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I used to travel a ton all over the US for work. It was cool getting to see a lot of US landmarks for fun cities with my down time. 

I've never traveled outside the county except to Windsor, Canada. I'd really like to get over to London and eventually Tokyo as well. 

Windsor in Nova Scotia?

36 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

I am and have never been. It's sad!!! I need to go to Florida one day...and no, I am an Alaskan. As far opposite a Floridian as you can get! :lol: My brother who also lives up here in AK is a huge fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

We are just suckers for losing sports teams lol. :P 

I'd stick up for you, but the Marlins game we saw, they did lose. We were cheering them as well. :lol: 

• GNFNR 1

Oh yeah, Glad to be reminded of Tokyo. Id love to visit there sometime! Also rural Japan, but Im not sure just where.

Also Antarctica, just to prove that its all fake and whats there is actually an underground, tropical, aliens and nazis base.

Anywhere thats not just white people insisting that their old ass buildings hold all sorts of meaning and cultural value :P

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Liverpool for nursing historic grievances and Manchester for bumming.

PS

Thinking about it, London to Edinburgh, you literally traveled between one uber remainiac city, to another remaniac city, sailing through the dead of night through our Brexit heartlands, the Midlands and North East. Was this intended?

This was in the fall of 2015, right before Brexit, so no.

I got to see Glasgow on that trip too... quite different from Edinburgh. I liked Edinburgh more. Beautiful town.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Uhm, you do know the Beatles don't exist anymore and you won't happen to stumble upon them while in Liverpool?

Nor does Louis XIV yet people still visit Versailles.

(I actually don't care either way for Liverpewl and Manchester; just winding Dazey up).

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

This was in the fall of 2015, right before Brexit, so no.

I got to see Glasgow on that trip too... quite different from Edinburgh. I liked Edinburgh more. Beautiful town.

Edinburgh is more historical whereas Glasgow is more the industrial revolution city.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Nor does Louis XIV yet people still visit Versailles.

My point was just that unless you are a Beatlemaniac who craves to see where Ringo went to school or Lennon bought groceries, pointing out that Beatles came from Liverpool is not an argument for the rest of us to visit that place since we can stream Beatles on Spotify from any place in the world without having to travel to that collection of council houses.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

My point was just that unless you are a Beatlemaniac who craves to see where Ringo went to school or Lennon bought groceries, pointing out that Beatles came from Liverpool is not an argument for the rest of us to visit that place since we can stream Beatles on Spotify from any place in the world without having to travel to that collection of council houses.

Liverpool's Beatles' heritage draws abundant tourists from all corners of the world and consists of far more than ''council houses'': you visit Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and the Cavern. And Lennon's (Aunt Mimi's) house was actually middle class. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Liverpool's Beatles' heritage draws abundant tourists from all corners of the world and consists of far more than ''council houses'': you visit Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and the Cavern. And Lennon's (Aunt Mimi's) house was actually middle class. 

Yes, there are many beatlemaniacs in the world. 

You don't say? I suppose we have to update our songs then. 

Tudor and utterly stunning,

Liverpool,_Speke_Hall_-_geograph.org.uk_But you of course won't get as good a bumming as you will in Manchester.

Okay. 

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Tudor and utterly stunning,

Liverpool,_Speke_Hall_-_geograph.org.uk_

But you of course won't get as good a bumming as you will in Manchester.

Speke Hall? I've been there a bunch of times with the old National Trust pass. It is pretty impressive but alas, no bumming.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Speke Hall? I've been there a bunch of times with the old National Trust pass. It is pretty impressive but alas, no bumming.

Fucking hell! Never had you pegged as having a National Trust pass 

That and your love of Waitrose food makes you almost an old lady :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never got on with all that y'know, mad lover of The Beatles though I am, I ain't goin' halfway across the country to gawk at a cramped 3 bed semi and The Cavern that ain't the same Cavern they played in.  Its sort of like Jack the Ripper tours, 'this is where they found the corpse of Catherine Eddows'...and its like a Lidl car park, fuck that noise :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've never got on with all that y'know, mad lover of The Beatles though I am, I ain't goin' halfway across the country to gawk at a cramped 3 bed semi and The Cavern that ain't the same Cavern they played in.  Its sort of like Jack the Ripper tours, 'this is where they found the corpse of Catherine Eddows'...and its like a Lidl car park, fuck that noise :lol:

I have never actually been to Liverpewl. I keep meaning to go to Aigburgh but Lanky seem to have ditched it as an outground. Strange but I am sure I remember you expressing a desire to see Graceland.

Isn't that the same for anything however? Visit the Tower of London to gawp at the spot where Ann Boleyn was beheaded. When I visited Lord's I was in awe, thoroughly aware that I was standing on the spot Compton, Edrich, Bradman et al walked to come out and bat. 

I have never actually been to Liverpewl. I keep meaning to go to Aigburgh but Lanky seem to have ditched it as an outground. Strange but I am sure I remember you expressing a desire to see Graceland.

Isn't that the same for anything however? Visit the Tower of London to gawp at the spot where Ann Boleyn was beheaded. When I visited Lord's I was in awe, thoroughly aware that I was standing on the spot Compton, Edrich, Bradman et al walked to come out and bat. 

Yeah but the Tower of London is still the Tower of London, there's a certain majesty to it, Lords is still Lords...the Ripper Tour shit is not even anything vaguely resembling anything romantic, if one can romanticise Victorian era East London ratholes (which you can, Dickens etc, though it was not meant to be romantic at the time of publication) but they're like...nothing resembling that now.