Travelling thread

Dangelus

I would actually recommend York because,

A/ It is easy to get to from London (direct 2 hours, east coast train line)

B/ If it pisses down it doesn't really matter. Just look at the buildings and museums during the day, and enter pubs at evening-night. York boasts some excellent historic pubs.

Leave the Lakes for better weather. Cockermouth, besides having an amusing name, is literally famous for flooding, stone bridges breaking and washing away! 

10-20091120-370849_dsc0110.jpg

Lakes is a bit of a nightmare to get to also. You'd have to train it to Carlisle (four hours with at least one change) then make your way to Cockermouth or Whitehaven somehow - canoe maybe! 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Fuck it, York it is!  Whats in York anyway?

I’ve considered some pretty fuckin’ stupid things in my time, Middlesborough ain’t made it yet :lol: 

Keep in mind storm Dennis is supposed to reach England in the weekend!

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh for fuckssake! :lol:  Anybody got any good news? :lol:  

Who wants to go on a trip in England this time of year? 😄 

Maybe go to York and do some nice indoors stuff like diesel said.

Seriously though, when going away in this season, always make sure there are indoor options. Nothing is nice when it's pouring, grey and windy.

Edited by Lio
  • Haha 1

Firstly there is the York Minster, arguably England's greatest Gothic cathedral. I personally find it more impressive than Westminster Abbey. In fact it is more impressive than Notre-Dame and Prague's St Vitus. It is utterly magnificent. There is not a building like it.

1024px-York_Minster_from_M&S.JPG

Secondly, there is Clifford's Tower where the Yorkshire people herded all the Jews and burnt them alive in 1190. It was England's worst fit of antisemitism until Jeremy Corbyn.

800px-Cliffords_Tower_York_UK.JPG

The Yorkshire Museum is good. It has some wonderful classical antiquities (and some boring sciencey stuff which you can ignore)

The York Castle Museum is also good. It has a recreated Victorian street.

If you like Vikings there is the Yorvik centre. If you like trains there is a railway museum. But I would just walk around the Shambles and adjacent areas (medieval streets), exploring the historic pubs and eateries. There is a pub with an excavated Roman Bath beneath it. 

PS

It is actually covered by medieval walls. So you can walk those if you have a head for heights, but I probably wouldn't in this weather (and they shut them if it is dangerous irrespective). There are the ''bars'' which is basically another word for gatehouse. These have been converted into exhibitions (there is one on Richard III). This is how the City of London actually once was, a medieval city covered by walls with a few gatehouses. You can still get a sense of what pre-industrial English cities are in York.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck it, York it is!  Whats in York anyway?

I’ve considered some pretty fuckin’ stupid things in my time, Middlesborough ain’t made it yet :lol: 

Have you considered Whitby ever? I think it's much nicer than York and great for a night out on the piss.

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

What, phglem?  Well, it is the North I suppose :lol: 

So have you booked your train ticket? I'll be waiting on the station forecourt by WHSmith. We can ride the tiny road train from the National Railway Museum to the Minster. We'll then go see the Minster, followed by cream tea at Bettys. After lunch we shall go to the Jorvik Viking museum, Clifford's Tower then pop in on my pals who own the art gallery near there. Then we can have a romantic riverside walk back to the station where you can return to sunny Watford and tell all your friends about the wonderful North. It will be the best day of your life. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

So have you booked your train ticket? I'll be waiting on the station forecourt by WHSmith. We can ride the tiny road train from the National Railway Museum to the Minster. We'll then go see the Minster, followed by cream tea at Bettys. After lunch we shall go to the Jorvik Viking museum, Clifford's Tower then pop in on my pals who own the art gallery near there. Then we can have a romantic riverside walk back to the station where you can return to sunny Watford and tell all your friends about the wonderful North. It will be the best day of your life. 

Oh yeah, you’re from York aren’t you?  Why did I have you working in a chippie in Leeds or something? :lol: 

41 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh yeah, you’re from York aren’t you?  Why did I have you working in a chippie in Leeds or something? :lol: 

Leeds is great! Good hotels and loads of bars and restaurants.

If you want scenery I suggest Cornwall. Best place in England.

The bloke wanted to go to the Lake District for a weekend break. Googled it, not my cuppa tea. Looks pretty but it's just lakes. It wouldn't keep me entertained for a whole fucking weekend.

I think we've settled on York, old man history stuff for him and loads of shops for me :lol:

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm actually considering going to the Lake District on the strength of this thread over the weekend, been looking into it, the fucking hotels are like...miles away from the actual place, how you supposed to get there, I ain't driving, fuck that.  To be honest, shameful moment, I didn't even properly know what the lake district was, I thought it was fuckin' one place of particular scenic beauty but apparently its, as the name suggests, a whole area with a fuckload of lakes and scenic beauty.  How'd you know which one to go to etc.  The idea of getting a fuckin' hotel 20 miles outside the actual place I'm looking to visit seems a bit of a pain in the arse. 

I got the bug to go somewhere in England this week now, better act on it or I'll just put the shit off forever.  York seemed an idea but like, again, its difficult visiting a place you dunno fuck all about, how'd you know what to visit?  Fuck York, sounds a bit dud actually.  The lake district looks alright though, all mountainey or hilly or whatever. 

You haven't been to The Lakes! What a shit show. I'd recommend Keswick. There's Fells close by to reach on foot like Skiddaw. And there's plenty of buses about. You can also get a Boat over the Lake to do Cat Bells/Maiden Moor walk. 

There's a curry house, Thai, Italian, Mexican, Fish N Chips and about 12 pubs and even a Wetherspoons

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Maybe its the hangover but the North ain’t half grim.  This train journey, watching the wonders of Dore and Totley, what the fuck is Dore and Totley?

You could have picked a day to visit when there isn’t a fuckin’ hurricane going on. :lol:

45 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Y’know what, I ain’t seen a black person or a paki or any kind of wog all day :lol:  I see now why you lot are the way you are :lol: 

Always been many Pakis (and Chinese) where I live however black people are a rarity, but then I live in one of the least populated counties in England. 

What the heck are you doing on mygnr? Go and look at the Minster.

Edited by DieselDaisy