Travelling thread

Dangelus

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

What the heck are you doing on mygnr? Go and look at the Minster.

That literally takes about 5 minutes. 10 if you go inside and crane your neck to look at the bits of it they don't charge you £20 to see.

Go to the House of Trembling Madness for a few jars and wander down The Shambles wishing you'd gone to Whitby instead. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

That literally takes about 5 minutes. 10 if you go inside and crane your neck to look at the bits of it they don't charge you £20 to see.

Go to the House of Trembling Madness for a few jars and wander down The Shambles wishing you'd gone to Whitby instead. :lol: 

I believe I can spend about one hour in the Minster - I have been 2-3 times.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I believe I can spend about one hour in the Minster - I have been 2-3 times.

I'll manage more than half an hour the day they open a bar in the place. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dazey said:

I'll manage more than half an hour the day they open a bar in the place. :lol: 

I like architecture so... - I think we determined while back that the two of us are rather different people!

There is a pub opposite that Guy Fawkes lived in. The little church is Guy Fawkes' parish church. 

Is that the one in Prague? It's so overcrowded inside, at least both times I was there.

Inside the cathedral in Strasbourg you heard ''shhhhhhhh'' coming through the speakers every half an hour or so, basically telling people to shut up. Haha. At first I didn't know what they meant, maybe a French custom? But then I realized people were speaking too loudly.

Edited by EvanG

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Is that the one in Prague? It's so overcrowded inside, at least both times I was there.

Inside the cathedral in Strasbourg you heard ''shhhhhhhh'' coming through the speakers every half an hour or so, basically telling people to shut up. Haha. At first I didn't know what they meant, maybe a French custom? But then I realized people were speaking too loudly.

I got there before 9 am so managed to avoid the crowds on Hradčany. 

58 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I can see myself spending hours looking at the architecture.

I was in Strasbourg last month and I probably spent hours inside and outside of the cathedral just taking it all in. 

Strasbourg Cathedral Exterior - Diliff.jpg

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Strasbourg cathedral

I have been there. It happened to be the pick up spot for a wine tour through Alsace. So I got to see the church, too. 

• Like 1

I cant recall ever being marvelled by the exterior of a building. Some interiors are kinda cool, I guess. The most impressive structure Ive ever seen was a really perfect puppet show set (of the arctic tundra). Lately Im taken by the simplicity of some types of Japanese architecture and design. Less is more is how I understand it so far.

Just now, soon said:

I cant recall ever being marvelled by the exterior of a building. Some interiors are kinda cool, I guess. The most impressive structure Ive ever seen was a really perfect puppet show set (of the arctic tundra). Lately Im taken by the simplicity of some types of Japanese architecture and design. Less is more is how I understand it so far.

Honestly, the Shah Mosque in Esfahan, Iran, had me completely tongue-tied. Just awesome.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Honestly, the Shah Mosque in Esfahan, Iran, had me completely tongue-tied. Just awesome.

Just glanced at some pics - very cool interior! I like the vaulted ceiling and the entrance ways, but again the exterior just doesnt do much for me. I dont know if the walls are mosaics or painted but I love mosaics and whatever that medium, its gorgeous. Neat.

1 minute ago, soon said:

Just glanced at some pics - very cool interior! I like the vaulted ceiling and the entrance ways, but again the exterior just doesnt do much for me. I dont know if the walls are mosaics or painted but I love mosaics and whatever that medium, its gorgeous. Neat.

I have seen the exterior of quite a few buildings, and that mosque still beats them all. And the interior almost made me religious.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Always been many Pakis (and Chinese) where I live however black people are a rarity, but then I live in one of the least populated counties in England. 

What the heck are you doing on mygnr? Go and look at the Minster.

I had done already when I posted that.  On a side note service at the Marriott leaves a lot to be desired.

Can I ask, does anyone here go travelling for a week or more without their spouse/family? 

My husband and I have very different expectations of holidays. While we try to go on a trip as a family annually, it's usually based around what we can manage with a toddler. 

How strange would it look if I left them at home while I took a trip to somewhere sunny for a week? My husband is really supportive, but I can see why some people would think I'm shirking motherhood and responsibilities. 

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I have seen the exterior of quite a few buildings, and that mosque still beats them all. And the interior almost made me religious.

Yeah, strolling those halls in quiet contemplation would be amazing! Its interesting you presented an Iranian building that is so beautiful and profound because the Right here wants war with "those terrorists." So, for me, Im kinda finding meaning in architecture almost for the first time here, in that its a statement of their illustrious history, beautiful culture and achievement. Maybe it would humanize them to the Right. 

Did you get me into architecture just now??

2 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Can I ask, does anyone here go travelling for a week or more without their spouse/family? 

My husband and I have very different expectations of holidays. While we try to go on a trip as a family annually, it's usually based around what we can manage with a toddler. 

How strange would it look if I left them at home while I took a trip to somewhere sunny for a week? My husband is really supportive, but I can see why some people would think I'm shirking motherhood and responsibilities. 

Not at all, maybe if you'd backpack the world for 6 months leaving your family to fend for themselves it would be different, but what is a week?

I prefer travelling on my own. I don't have to compromise and I can do everything at my own pace and see everything I want to see.

You're also more open to meeting new people that way. Last month I had dinner with a famous French politician (she happened to be the mother of my airbnb host and he invited me over for dinner at his mom's apartment), this probably wouldn't have happened had I been travelling with my friends or family.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Dont fuckin’ worry about it presh, you’re allowed a break same as anyone...and if your fellas alright with it where’s the problem, don’t mean to say you’re shirking any sort of responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

I say if your husband has got the home stuff locked down for the week just go ahead and take a break. Parenthood is awesome but its relentless. Nothing wrong with taking some time out to do what you want to do. 

If he's anything like me your fella will love having the week to bond with the little one and be in charge.

Word of caution though last time this happened me and the boy stayed awake after his bedtime watching a Jackie Chan movie and completely fucked his bedtime routine which took all week to get back into rhythm 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

I say if your husband has got the home stuff locked down for the week just go ahead and take a break. Parenthood is awesome but its relentless. Nothing wrong with taking some time out to do what you want to do. 

If he's anything like me your fella will love having the week to bond with the little one and be in charge.

Word of caution though last time this happened me and the boy stayed awake after his bedtime watching a Jackie Chan movie and completely fucked his bedtime routine which took all week to get back into rhythm 😁

Husband adores time with our daughter. He's fairly hands on, and while he's at work his sister can care for our girl as usual. Glad you and the laddie got on well. 

I guess that I'm too self conscious. I was worried about it the last time I did it. In fact, I didn't even tell my family. But we have a kid now. We're a really happy couple, we just want different things and I don't see the point of paying for him to be on a holiday he won't enjoy. 

3 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Husband adores time with our daughter. He's fairly hands on, and while he's at work his sister can care for our girl as usual. Glad you and the laddie got on well. 

I guess that I'm too self conscious. I was worried about it the last time I did it. In fact, I didn't even tell my family. But we have a kid now. We're a really happy couple, we just want different things and I don't see the point of paying for him to be on a holiday he won't enjoy. 

Nothing wrong with it at all. In fact id say its the key to a healthy relationship when both are comfortable and secure enough to let the other have their own time.

I know there should be give and take but It would be bloody weird if two people want to do the same thing all the time and if the other person is fine with it then it's all good surely. 

On 15/02/2020 at 6:48 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Funny you should mention that because I've just brought the little one to see her grandparents over half term while the wife has buggered off to France for the week. :lol: She flew out to Marseille yesterday and she's spending a couple of days there then Paris for a couple of days tomorrow and a couple of days in London on the way back. I'm in Teesside. :(:lol: Doesn't bother me at all. I get to spend some time with Jr. and see a few friends while I'm home and she gets to practice her French and spend a full day at The Louvre which would bore the arse off me. :lol:   

50 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Funny you should mention that because I've just brought the little one to see her grandparents over half term while the wife has buggered off to France for the week. :lol: She flew out to Marseille yesterday and she's spending a couple of days there then Paris for a couple of days tomorrow and a couple of days in London on the way back. I'm in Teesside. :(:lol: Doesn't bother me at all. I get to spend some time with Jr. and see a few friends while I'm home and she gets to practice her French and spend a full day at The Louvre which would bore the arse off me. :lol:   

Your wife is all the woman I want to be. :lol: